Supra Coming to NASCAR?

I don't like the looks of the Supra. Would look fine in IMSA but I don't think it will look good with the NASCAR template but I could be wrong.

I don't like the looks of the Supra. Would look fine in IMSA but I don't think it will look good with the NASCAR template but I could be wrong.

The bigger problem isn't how the Supra fits the current Cup template, it's what the current Cup template looks like. I'm guessing the Gen 7 will be substantially different, and they're going to take a big swing at a sleeker, sportier car. That's just my gut feeling.

'S okay, what hits the track won't look anything like the street car anyway.

I would love to see it in IMSA in GTD.

I know that's why I don't like it. I think the Camaro and Mustang match up better with the Xfinity template and at least look like the car. No way the Supra looks anything like its counterpart.

The bigger problem isn't how the Supra fits the current Cup template, it's what the current Cup template looks like. I'm guessing the Gen 7 will be substantially different, and they're going to take a big swing at a sleeker, sportier car. That's just my gut feeling.

I'd be all for that.

that is where it is supposed to go with the Bimmers, the Ford GT's and the Vettes. But the Yotas just love their front ends these days. I'm pretty sure they have spent gizillions using it already on a test mule body.

I know that's why I don't like it. I think the Camaro and Mustang match up better with the Xfinity template and at least look like the car. No way the Supra looks anything like its counterpart.
The Xfinity Mustang is an absolute laughing stock.

nascar-xs-iowa-ii-2017-sam-hornish-jr-discount-tire-ford-mustang.jpg

170113154857-2018-ford-mustang-780x439.jpg

The Camry although a more door looks similar to it's street version and in the same price range. I believe the Supra is a two seater with a Mercedes engine in it, and it isn't being produced yet. Another "per sources" thread :idunno:

As the Stern tweet said, sedan sales are down in North America across all makes. Sports car sales are up. It makes more sense to advertise the model that competes in the category that's more popular and produces larger profits.

Toyota grappling with falling demand for sedans?

They sold 387,000 Camrys last year.
That's a continuing decline since 2014. By this chart, I make 2014 and '15 sales to be about 420,000, 2016 to be about 390,000. Note the year-to-year increase in the sales of common alternatives.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...dan-camry-may-regain-u-s-sales-lead-over-rav4

By this article, if the first three months are any indicator, 2018 sales will drop to 360K.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/midsize-sedan-sales-toyota-camry-leads-in-a-declining-segment/

But I'm in the market for a new sedan in a few months, so it's all good to me.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2018/05/28/Marketing-and-Sponsorship/Supra.aspx

Toyota plans to introduce its fifth-generation Supra model to NASCAR’s Xfinity Series next year, according to sources, the latest switch by a NASCAR manufacturer from a sedan to a sports car.

The Japanese manufacturer currently runs its top-selling Camry sedan in both the premier Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series and the secondary Xfinity Series, while it runs its Tundra model in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.

Toyota’s plan follows Chevrolet’s decision to introduce its Camaro coupe to the Monster Energy Series this season, and Ford’s plan to take its Mustang to NASCAR’s top level in 2019. It was confirmed by more than a half a dozen people informed of Toyota’s intentions. Toyota, however, did not comment.

The move comes as sedan sales drop sharply in the U.S., mostly at the expense of SUVs, which continue to gain market share. The Wall Street Journal reported this month that the three big Japanese automakers — Toyota, Nissan and Honda — all saw declining sales in the U.S. in April, with dropping sedan sales seen as the chief culprit. Toyota’s sedan sales for the month of April dropped nearly 5 percent, the Journal reported.

“Demographically, the automakers realize they need to strengthen the relationship between consumers and their cars; instead of looking at it as commodities, the automakers would like consumers to look at their car as something very special and exciting,” said Ken Ungar, founder and president of marketing agency Charge and a longtime motorsports branding expert, when told of Toyota’s plans.

“So that’s why from a cycle perspective we’re seeing the pendulum shift to branding objectives [from sales goals], and you’re seeing more reliance on sports car models because those are the models that inject excitement or a halo around the brand,” Ungar said.

Toyota announced in March that it was bringing back the Supra, which was last produced in 2002. The two-door, rear-wheel-drive coupe, which first appeared in 1978, has a sizable fan base due to its affordability relative to most sports cars and to its storied past. The Supra has a rich racing heritage in both Japanese and American sports car racing, and it became something of a cultural icon thanks to appearances in “The Fast and The Furious” films and Sony’s “Gran Turismo” video game.

The last Supra model that came out cost between $30,000 and $40,000, though Toyota has hinted that the new model — which was developed in conjunction with BMW — will be pricier.

MKTG is Toyota’s motorsports agency, while Golin handles Toyota’s communications and PR in motorsports.

That's a continuing decline since 2014. By this chart, I make 2014 and '15 sales to be about 420,000, 2016 to be about 390,000. Note the year-to-year increase in the sales of common alternatives.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...dan-camry-may-regain-u-s-sales-lead-over-rav4

By this article, if the first three months are any indicator, 2018 sales will drop to 360K.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/midsize-sedan-sales-toyota-camry-leads-in-a-declining-segment/

But I'm in the market for a new sedan in a few months, so it's all good to me.
Yeah, I know that people in general are moving away from sedans and going to crossovers/SUV's, but the Camry was still the 6th best selling vehicle in America last year and the best selling car (everything above it was a truck or an SUV). The sales for the Camry may be trending downward vs. recent years, but Toyota still sells a sh!t-ton of them.

Is going to look absolute **** in the Xfinity template.

As has been mentioned though, Gen-7 seemingly will have an entirely different template. Although I'm not really sure how that template will manage to accommodate all of the various styling cues the manufacturers are bringing in now. An SS versus a Fusion versus a Camry? Fairly similar body styles there. At least, more similar than balancing a Camaro versus a Mustang versus a Supra. It is cool that we're moving away from whitebread grocery-getters, but I imagine the whole aero wars thing is just beginning to ratchet up. The aero supervisor for the new Cup Mustang has extensive F1 experience and that Supra concept was developed by the big guns at TMG in Europe.

Is going to look absolute sh!t in the Xfinity template.

As has been mentioned though, Gen-7 seemingly will have an entirely different template. Although I'm not really sure how that template will manage to accommodate all of the various styling cues the manufacturers are bringing in now. An SS versus a Fusion versus a Camry? Fairly similar body styles there. At least, more similar than balancing a Camaro versus a Mustang versus a Supra. It is cool that we're moving away from whitebread grocery-getters, but I imagine the whole aero wars thing is just beginning to ratchet up. The aero supervisor for the new Cup Mustang has extensive F1 experience and that Supra concept was developed by the big guns at TMG in Europe.
Maybe with a seperate template for each make, we can get back to manufacturers pushing out performance cars in a race to out-do the other!

What a concept

The Camry although a more door looks similar to it's street version and in the same price range. I believe the Supra is a two seater with a Mercedes engine in it, and it isn't being produced yet. Another "per sources" thread :idunno:
Engine will be a BMW engine, the Supra is being built on BMW's next Zed 4 Roadster platform, the new Supra is a collaboration between Toyota and BMW

ricerbimmer built in Austria..going to be built after the BMW Z4 which hasn't been built and out for sale yet. I don't see it happening for 2019

Maybe with a seperate template for each make, we can get back to manufacturers pushing out performance cars in a race to out-do the other!

What a concept
It is, of course, possible to create a formula that is too open though. Sportier, GT-style racers look cool but GT racing around the world uses performance balancing to some extent now to reduce the likelihood of spending wars. Depending on what parts of the car NASCAR wants to open up to more styling cues, could we see some of the old "Manufacturer A can run spoiler height 1, Manufacturer B can run spoiler height 2, etc." pronouncements that we used to have?

I don't think there is a formula that can't be defeated by determined manufacturers/owners or crew chiefs. Nascar's way of trying to nail down at least from the windshield back although it is a compromise is as good as any. The balance of performance seems to change from race to race, is iffy at best to keep the parity as is Nascar's system. Both of these two systems have to constantly make changes to keep up with players. It's racing and that is what they do.

It is, of course, possible to create a formula that is too open though. Sportier, GT-style racers look cool but GT racing around the world uses performance balancing to some extent now to reduce the likelihood of spending wars. Depending on what parts of the car NASCAR wants to open up to more styling cues, could we see some of the old "Manufacturer A can run spoiler height 1, Manufacturer B can run spoiler height 2, etc." pronouncements that we used to have?

That would be so cool to go back to that.

What a concept
Separate templates are easier to check with computer controlled lasers than they are with individual metal templates.

I think Nascar needs to hand out a different splitter, shark fin, and spoiler combination every week. Give it to teams right before first practice. Keep all of those cut throats guessing every week

That makes too much sense.

Want to find a formula to help Nascar recover interest, fans and viewers? THIS ^^^ !

Run sports cars and allow their stock shape to dictate the template for each model. Aero issues? Handling? That’s on the manufacturer. Nascar can enable some equalization using minor tweaks by model. If the Supra is back, now we’d have all three manufacturers running real performance cars. Might even spur interest from additional brands.

That almost looks like a GTD car in the photos.....

That would be so cool to go back to that.
It would certainly help develop deeper manufacturer rivalries again, but in an age where people zoom in on TV broadcasts to the nth degree to find cheatin' windshield indentations I can only imagine how one set of cars having another inch of spoiler would go over.

That almost looks like a GTD car in the photos.....
That concept was in fact built to GTE specs.

Back
Top Bottom