Supra Coming to NASCAR?

The Supra is beautiful in every way. Soon available in Confetti.
LOL. Now that is funny!

These endless discussions of race car styling... whether they are pretty or ugly, whether they look like their street-going namesakes... bore me to distraction. I don't understand the angst or why people care. To me, race cars (and race bikes) are beautiful if they are fast and race well, and if they don't, they are ugly.

Using the name "Toyota Camry" rather than "Toyota Nascar" is simply marketing, a small way to leverage Toyota's investment in the series. It doesn't look much different, or perform any different, if they chose Camry or Supra or something else for the marketing handle. We all know they are hand built prototype race cars, same as Penske's IMSA Acura, same as Haas' F1 Haas-Ferrari. There is showroom stock racing in this world, but it has not existed in Nascar for over 50 years and there are many compelling reasons for that.

LOL. Now that is funny!

These endless discussions of race car styling... whether they are pretty or ugly, whether they look like their street-going namesakes... bore me to distraction. I don't understand the angst or why people care. To me, race cars (and race bikes) are beautiful if they are fast and race well, and if they don't, they are ugly.

Using the name "Toyota Camry" rather than "Toyota Nascar" is simply marketing, a small way to leverage Toyota's investment in the series. It doesn't look much different, or perform any different, if they chose Camry or Supra or something else for the marketing handle. We all know they are hand built prototype race cars, same as Penske's IMSA Acura, same as Haas' F1 Haas-Ferrari. There is showroom stock racing in this world, but it has not existed in Nascar for over 50 years and there are many compelling reasons for that.

I agree completely.

more pics...not sure if posted

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/Toyota-Supra-V8-NASCAR-Xfinity/64887/

toyota_xfinity_supra_1fr.jpeg

toyota_xfinity_supra.jpeg

toyota_xfinity_supra_17.jpeg

I dont like it
I don't think this paint scheme is doing it any favors either. Not sure why they went with the bird beak on the hood.

The college I attended in the late '70s was chock full of exchange students from Baghdad on fat government expense accounts. Their car of choice was the aforementioned Pontiac, purchased in numbers so large that around campus it came to be called the ... 'Trans Iran'.

EDIT: while we're at it,
https://jalopnik.com/heres-ten-cars-that-deserved-screaming-chicken-firebird-1775575665
The late 70's/early 80's was not a great time for cars. Pontiac turbocharged a V-8 in the '80-'81 Trans Ams, and they still only made like 200hp. I guess the philosophy back then was "if it isn't fast, we'll slap a bunch of decals on it to make it look fast".

How right you are, many called the IROC the Duroc which is a pig. The gov't with the 5mph bumpers and the EPA with the pollution restrictions started designing their idea of a car.

A 60s muscle car drives by and the smell lingers forever. I can't imagine the stench of a highway or city street in the 60s with leaded fuel and unfiltered exhaust.

Must have brought tears to your eyes.

A 60s muscle car drives by and the smell lingers forever. I can't imagine the stench of a highway or city street in the 60s with leaded fuel and unfiltered exhaust.

Must have brought tears to your eyes.
They haven't had leaded fuel since the early 70's

Remember, @StandOnIt, the pronounced nose is strictly a styling feature. TRD had no idea that it would improve airflow. Andy was very clear about that. Very clear. :p

I hate to say it, but that is not a good looking race car.

Brings a new meaning to bug eyed head lights and they are uglier than the ones on a 98' Taurus. The whole nose looks weird in stock car form.

It is so weird to prefer a Camry over a Supra. Lmfao

I think Nascar has a rubber rule book
According to the NASCAR rulebook, “Comparisons between the race vehicle and production vehicle will be made using the following tools and events: Body Panel Change Matrix Form and Race Vehicle Styling Features List, renderings and photos, the scheduled model display events, private and official wind tunnel tests. This process is intended to encourage resemblance between race vehicles and production vehicles. NASCAR will use its discretion in making decisions related to resemblance and OEM identity. If the production vehicle changes after the April 1st event, the OEM must inform NASCAR of the changes and display the changes to NASCAR.”
http://kickinthetires.net/index.php...for-xfinity-series-and-nascar-trucks-entries/
iu

There was a new black one in the parking lot at my office today.

Pretty slick in road trim.

Its a BMW Z4.

Its going to be a solid piece when you start seeing then on the road. Hell, I'd buy one... The B58 is a solid engine, well the S58.

If you're in the market for RWD coupe, the BRZ/GT 86 is a dope car. Its great for an introduction to the RWD platform, its just boxer engines are out of my comfort zone. Changing spark plugs and ignition coils are not the most fun.

was it the BMW one or the Toyota, I think the BMW's are being produced and the Toyota's after the first of the year. Maybe not.

Not sure. I was in a hurry and am not really into those kinds of vehicles.

It looked like it makes downforce just as it sat and I’m sure it does.

Back
Top Bottom