The Announcers Thread

I actually didn't mind the Start/Finish interviews. It managed to capture the Driver's intensity and excitement after the win not 15 minutes, 2 driver interviews and a commercial break later. I didn't need to hear from the winner twice, but I get wanting to get the pomp and circumstance and the sponsors on the TV. It also gave the driver a chance to speak at/to the crowd in attendance. Far too often does the crowd have to watch the video board because Victory Lane is around the corner from the garage in the middle of the infield. Park that m'fer on the front stretch and celebrate on the track.

It just seems like there is nothing that these cable companies can do to appease NASCAR's fans. Just a bunch of crying and moaning over who said what or how many commercial breaks or catchphrases or the pre or post race shows. A bunch of people who have zero TV experience telling TV people what to do.

I actually didn't mind the Start/Finish interviews. It managed to capture the Driver's intensity and excitement after the win not 15 minutes, 2 driver interviews and a commercial break later. I didn't need to hear from the winner twice, but I get wanting to get the pomp and circumstance and the sponsors on the TV. It also gave the driver a chance to speak at/to the crowd in attendance. Far too often does the crowd have to watch the video board because Victory Lane is around the corner from the garage in the middle of the infield. Park that m'fer on the front stretch and celebrate on the track.

It just seems like there is nothing that these cable companies can do to appease NASCAR's fans. Just a bunch of crying and moaning over who said what or how many commercial breaks or catchphrases or the pre or post race shows. A bunch of people who have zero TV experience telling TV people what to do.
Then move the whole freakin' shooting match to the front stretch and do everything there - interview, hat dance, etc.. It seems silly to me to have two interviews with the same guy. Do like M'ville - roll out a backdrop on the S/F line and don't bother with a separate victory area at all.

I couldn't help but wonder if they booth guys are looking at so many other things that it causes them to miss action on the track.

That was an interesting tidbit about the technology that brings attention to cars racing close on the track. I wonder why it doesn't appear to be leveraged more often. I can't speak for other fans but when I'm at the track, I look for the competitive battles, regardless of how far back in the pack they are.

The announcers are going to miss some of the action, the cameras are going to miss some of the action, the fans at the track are going to miss some of the action, and there will always be people who will either make fun of what is going on or think they can do a better job sitting in their recliner. I have seen improvement and I think it is because of the information the networks get that alerts them of battles between backmarkers the last couple of years. Some of them are pretty good, but sometimes it is a car on a different pit sequence that in a short while it won't amount to nothing. Not a big deal but sometimes it is confusing.

Then move the whole freakin' shooting match to the front stretch and do everything there - interview, hat dance, etc.. It seems silly to me to have two interviews with the same guy. Do like M'ville - roll out a backdrop on the S/F line and don't bother with a separate victory area at all.

See my post that you quoted. I already covered that.

I’m totally in favor of this. Celebrate closer to the fans.

Are they bringing Rick Allen back? I really hope not. Dude is an effing retard.

He's the 2nd best NASCAR announcer behind Mike Joy. Never understand why people hate Rick when he does such a great job and has a great voice for the job. Jr. joining that booth will probably be an upgrade though as Letarte and Burton are pretty bad.

He's the 2nd best NASCAR announcer behind Mike Joy. Never understand why people hate Rick when he does such a great job and has a great voice for the job. Jr. joining that booth will probably be an upgrade though as Letarte and Burton are pretty bad.
Allen and burton is like a dumber version of joe buck and Troy aikman. All four went to the same school that taught never shut the hell up, and always air your dumb ass opinion regardless of how insignificant the moment. Chris collinsworth is another one that needs to be taken out back and shot. My prediction is Earnhardt will fall into the same trap Gordon fell into, he’ll have to shout over the other stupid monkey(s) in the booth or risk a pink slip.

DW was on Moody's show yesterday and pretty much confirmed this. I'm both surprised and happy that Gordon is coming back. DW doesn't bother me. It'll be a sad day imo when February rolls around and DW isn't on my television for that first Daytona practice.

DW was on Moody's show yesterday and pretty much confirmed this. I'm both surprised and happy that Gordon is coming back. DW doesn't bother me. It'll be a sad day imo when February rolls around and DW isn't on my television for that first Daytona practice.
Yea DW never bothered me either, you can see he genuinely loves the sport and what he is doing, that comes across in his work. How can you fault a guy for that? The first Feb that comes that he’s not in the booth will be super weird. As for JG? Super surprised he’s coming back, really thought he’d be at HMS for a bigger role

Let's see if jeff burton has realized you don't have to shout to get your point across and if Steve can actually say something useful for once

Have no problem with the Fox crew. Interested to see how Jr. does with NBC. Him and Rick Allen could be a good pairing.

What the hell is this fixation on one booth, two booths, six booths?

hqdefault.jpg

They really think they are reinventing race / sports broadcasting here by hiring too many commentators and then trying to figure out how to arrange them.

I wonder if anyone will figure out that we tune in to see a race, not a lot of people trying to out do each other in the booth. I can remember when those guys were mostly just voices we heard while watching a race.

Bob Pockrass‏Verified account @bobpockrass 17h17 hours ago
NBC will use two booths this weekend. at Chicagoland Rick Allen and Jeff Burton in one booth; Dale Jr. and Steve Letarte in the other. Rick will do most of the traditional "play-by-play" with the other three providing analysis. #nascar
Just get rid of burton or bump him down to the b team. Same thing with letarte. Four people sounds like a nauseating mess. Reminds me of the family guy cutaway when they they had Al michaels, Kermit the frog, Ray Romano, and Harold Ramis doing a round table discussion.

TSN does an excellent presentation of the Pinty's series no fluff no excess sponsor information and they are fantastic at showing whats going on all around the track

Victory Lane being exclusive to sponsors and media has been a grip of mine forever. It should be on the frontstretch every race like Martinsville :wub: does.

Andy Marquis is entirely right but I wonder how much tracks make/(made) off selling "Victory Lane Passes"

I'd like to add that I personally thought that Dale Jr. did a very fine job in the booth in his first race as a commentator. He provided some insight and was actually allowed to speak by the other nutters. :p

I like to say NBC stands for Not Bad Coverage and that's exactly what that was today. Junior might be the best in the business already. A little disappointed it wasn't one week earlier so we could get an "OOOH HE TURNED EEM!!" from DW but good nonetheless!

I was totally entertained. There was racing going on on throughout the race. The finish was really exciting, I like both drivers and thought they did it right, Larson's explanation was exactly the way I saw it. And Jr was fun to listen to, he was as excited as I was.

Thought the addition of Jr kept Burton and Letarte off the mic as much so it was a good thing.

I also want to say that Jr was great yesterday. He made Letarte easier to listen to. It was very interesting o hear from two guys that are not too far removed from the sport that recently worked together. It is a special kind of look in to their dynamic. Burton is still a hack.
Must have missed it...what car was he in?

It’s early but I knew Jr and Letarte would kill it, they are informative and hilarious together when the do the Dale Jr Download together. I really am hoping Jr becomes this generation’s Benny Parsons as an announcer. I’m really looking forward to see how he does the rest of the year, I think Dale is going to be awesome at Talladega and this week at Daytona. It’s going to be a great hearing how he worked the draft as the action is going on on the track.

I was hoping Jr. would be a foil to LeTarte and Burton's high-pitched salesman style of announcing, but it appears he's been infected by them. NBC need to pipe in some damn sedative through the vents to keep those guys more relaxed.

*could be beginner nerves, hopefully he'll mellow out a bit as we go

I was thinking Junior calmed Letarte down a bit. Hopefully those in charge will allow them to
interact WITHOUT trying to hype everything.
The mayor never was a good communicator however we don't know if they are following instructions or what.

I think one of the reasons we all have issue with the guys calling the races is that we, for the most part here on this forum, are up to speed on Nascar goings on and just get tired of hearing the obvious and known information over and over from these guys. The false excitement thing is very annoying as well.

It was not that long ago that it was hard to find out much of anything going on except for race day. Now we are bombarded with too much information all the time via (2) One hour daily programs, one on NBCSN and one on FS1 plus XM/SirriusNascar radio, plus all the different real time social media available at a moments notice.
When there was a bit of mystery about what was going on, we couldn't wait till race day to find out things. Now a crew member can pass gas at 10:01 am and it is common knowledge everywhere by 10:03 AM.

I had forgotten how Jeff Burton can talk on and on about nothing in particular and contradict himself in the same sentence.o_O

But, none of this is going to keep me from enjoying this racing series. As long as 36 to 40 bad ass hot rods show up each week, I'll be watching. :punkrocke :D
you've got it pretty much spot on!

yep weeding out the miss information and the babbling Burton loves to go on and on about gives me a headache. He doesn't know what another driver on the track is thinking, could be about what is for dinner. Hitting the mute button is ineffective because when he does come up for air, another announcer gets to speak. MRN is unsynced with the TV so it is no help. Why that is so is another WTF.

Back
Top Bottom