The Announcers Thread

Don't count me as one of them....... I rank him as being as nauseating as Darrell Waltrip...... maybe even more.....
He is probably right. There are a lot of dumb people in the world so many of them could show up at a race. :D
Take todays race, Lefart is pretending to be on the cart like a CC and Rutledge shows up.
So now you have 2 idiots faking it and we are nor seeing the race because NBC thinks this is why people go to a track.
Sad isn't it.

letarte says most u get is two wide at pheonix
its not like fontana.

obviously did not watch yesterday truck race
6 wide

I'm not a big complainer but Rick Allen put forth one of the worst "calls" I've ever seen during a major sports moment! That was an embarrassment!

I'm not a big complainer but Rick Allen put forth one of the worst "calls" I've ever seen during a major sports moment! That was an embarrassment!
The last lap an a half? When he SHOUTED out the MTJ list of adversity? Today was the day he jumped the shark for me, he’s awful and needs to go. Passed Bill Weber territory

The last lap an a half? When he SHOUTED out the MTJ list of adversity? Today was the day he jumped the shark for me, he’s awful and needs to go. Passed Bill Weber territory

What an embarrassment!

Last edited by a moderator:

ADVERSITY! HEART ATTACK!! SURGERY! CANCER!!! WOO HOO, MARTIN TRUEX JR. IS THE MONSTER ENERGY CUP SERIES CHAMPION!

This is going to be a hot mess.

I wish they'd experiment with Allan Bestwick as Play By Play with Jr and Letarte, Yocum, Dr. Punch and Vince Welch on Pit Road. Burton, Rick Allen, The Olympic Guy in a Hollywood Hotel like on site Studio. I also think..... ready to get crucified....... but a Dale Jr Grid Walk would own.

The grid walk can be cancelled. It is designed for the sole purpose of demonstrating how ridiculous MW can be and now they got the rest of the booths doing it.

Please let JR make the hot laps in the Toyota test car every weekend instead of Burton. And change it to a Chevy.

The grid walk can be cancelled. It is designed for the sole purpose of demonstrating how ridiculous MW can be and now they got the rest of the booths doing it.
It’s just ridiculous because Waltrip does it, I like Robin Miller’s for Indy Car and Will Buxton when he was doing F1broadcasts

I wish they'd experiment with Allan Bestwick as Play By Play with Jr and Letarte, Yocum, Dr. Punch and Vince Welch on Pit Road. Burton, Rick Allen, The Olympic Guy in a Hollywood Hotel like on site Studio. I also think..... ready to get crucified....... but a Dale Jr Grid Walk would own.

The problem there is you have eight people named for what is a five person job at best. Two in the booth, three on pit road and pink slip everybody else.

I could probably tolerate ANY of the current bunch if there wasn't 50 of them all competing for air time and trying to be the one to stand out. For instance, I think Jeff Gordon has inadvertently brought out the worst in DW, because DW seems to feel the need to out analyze and out quip Jeff. I don't remember Ned Jarrett ever trying one up Benny Parsons or vice-versa. I fear Dale Jr. in the booth may bring on more of the same.

NBC is fixated on "storylines".

I ****** hate that term "storylines" in relation to anything to do with racing. The idea is contrived. Worse than referring to a race as a "show" IMO. Bagley and Pistone on NASCAR Radio wear that term out daily.

I could probably tolerate ANY of the current bunch if there wasn't 50 of them all competing for air time and trying to be the one to stand out. For instance, I think Jeff Gordon has inadvertently brought out the worst in DW, because DW seems to feel the need to out analyze and out quip Jeff. I don't remember Ned Jarrett ever trying one up Benny Parsons or vice-versa. I fear Dale Jr. in the booth may bring on more of the same.
Isn’t this Jeff’s last year of his contract with Fox? Thought I read that somewhere
I ******* hate that term "storylines" in relation to anything to do with racing. The idea is contrived. Worse than referring to a race as a "show" IMO. Bagley and Pistone on NASCAR Radio wear that term out daily.
One of the problems when that term storylines is used is that the person using it.....fails to comprehend the racing is the storyline.

One of the problems when that term storylines is used is that the person using it.....fails to comprehend the racing is the storyline.

Exactly, and sometimes it isn't filled with school girl drama.

I ******* hate that term "storylines" in relation to anything to do with racing. The idea is contrived. Worse than referring to a race as a "show" IMO. Bagley and Pistone on NASCAR Radio wear that term out daily.
Who can forget Bill Weber yelling out when the races were on TNT “We Know Drama!!!!” Ugh what an asshat

I don't have much to add here but I wanted to talk about something my Dad and I noticed last time we sat down together and watched a race. Remember that "throwback" race they have at Darlington a couple of years ago? I know it has been awhile...

We started watching when they had Ned and the rest of the old bunch calling the race and thought they were going to do the entire thing. 10 laps later they just went back to Jeff Burton and company dressed up in the worst 70s era suits they could find. Why didn't they just let the old group call the entire thing? It was giving us all the right kind of warm and fuzzy nostalgia and they were actually doing a good job. For a few minutes it felt like we were back in the mid-90s enjoying a race at home on a rare non-work day as father and son.

Dad was so pissed when they cut off the old crew that we just stopped watching and started taking shots of bourbon and shooting pool. We left the race on for background noise and spent most of the rest of the night talking about how awful NASCAR is now compared to back then. I really hate what it has become. It was the first thing my father and I bonded over when I was a kid and back then it was still possible to meet drivers in small town diners or at the grocery store. Of course, back then they had more than a couple of races locally a year as well. I'm happy I got to see what the sport was before it went national.

Not trying to sound like a bitter old man or anything. I've traveled/lived all over the country and it's always nice to see people's eyes light up when they find out I'm from NC. NASCAR found a ton of fans outside of the south in my lifetime and I've yet to meet a bad one. Just wish it still had that old time charm. They threw all that away in the name of safety and ratings though. I'm hopeful that eventually it'll go back to what it was or another series will come a long that is more focused on the "stock car" aspect of things.

TL:DR: Anything that becomes popular eventually goes to ****.

That's an honest perspective. However,

1. Darlington has been throwback themed every year since it returned to Labor Day weekend in 2015.

2. Ken Squier, Ned Jarrett, and Dale Jarrett have stepped in as announcers for a limited segment of the race each year. It is a nice touch, but Squier and the elder Jarrett are out of practice and would have some difficulty keeping up and calling the entire race. Rick Allen is terrible and should be replaced, but not by a long-retired legend.

3. Nostalgia is fun, but best in limited doses. NASCAR will not be sustained by warm memories of past eras.

I didn't realize they'd done it more than once, sadly I often work weekend now and don't get to watch as often as I used to. It was the first year they did it and I'm surprised so much time has passed. Yea I understand they're getting up there in years and they're out of practice but I'm sure they could handle doing an entire race still. Darlington can make for some boring races so it'd be nice if they moved it around to other tracks. I was sad the year when I got to go see a race there because they stayed single file all day and everyone was afraid to move someone out of the way. I've seen plenty of good races there over the years too. It seemed like the racing was better there 20 years ago than it is as of late.

I understand your point about nostalgia but I think NASCAR would be wise to look at what made the racing so good back in the day as to compared to now. I often wonder how things would be now is Dale had never died. I know there was already a lot of funky stuff going on with the packages back then (Dale famously complained about it) but now with the mandated ride height and all the other things done in the name of safety it feels like everyone might as well be driving the same car. I wish they'd go back to having major differences instead of a different nose on what they call a Ford/Chevy/Toyota.

One thing about Dale love him or hate him: The front office would listen to his opinion on things and make changes accordingly. It seems like they're clueless now that they don't have him around to complain about changes in the rules. I'm going to keep watching and hope that things will eventually get better but I'm constantly losing hope. I made sure to watch the race today simply because I heard about NASCAR planning to put plates on the cars at yet another track. I say let them go 220mph. There are plenty of other ways to solve these problems without using the plates. I actually think they make things more dangerous because it causes everyone to stay bunched up all day. I know they're concerned about cars coming off the track and into the stands but again there are plenty of ways to prevent that or mitigate the damage.

They could move the crowd back away from the track some and being they're tearing out the grandstands everywhere it wouldn't really cost them too much money to re-configure things at the few tracks where this is a problem. Better yet they could go back to stock body styles and tone down the horsepower a bit. I know I'm rehashing a lot of stuff here.

At the end of the day the front office likes plate racing because they know it produces large crashes that make the national news. It's ironic that they say they're doing thing in the name of safety but keep the plates around because it causes "the big one" to happen nearly every plate race. It's like they've forgotten that the plates were supposed to be a temporary solution.

I understand your point about nostalgia but I think NASCAR would be wise to look at what made the racing so good back in the day as to compared to now.

I think the real difference is the type of tracks they raced on. Most tracks were smaller and the racing was what made it fun. Nascar got greedy, went to the bigger tracks for the extra seating and infield space but the racing got boring.
That's my take on it. :D

The problem there is you have eight people named for what is a five person job at best. Two in the booth, three on pit road and pink slip everybody else.
I'm with you on three on pit road and losing the 'hosts' / Hotel / infield studio / other guys. I'd go three in the booth - PxP, ex-driver, ex-crew chief. Driver and crew chief should have been full time within the last six years or two car generations. Definitely NOT two drivers in the booth; one is plenty.

As to pre- and post-race, I don't really care who the networks use or what they discuss since I'm not watching them anyway. I'll watch post-race for Homestead or a first-time winner, but definitely not on a weekly basis.

Oh, and does anyone miss the awkward post-race interviews they did last year out on the track at the S/F line?

I couldn't help but wonder if they booth guys are looking at so many other things that it causes them to miss action on the track.

That was an interesting tidbit about the technology that brings attention to cars racing close on the track. I wonder why it doesn't appear to be leveraged more often. I can't speak for other fans but when I'm at the track, I look for the competitive battles, regardless of how far back in the pack they are.

And I thought they just watched the race and commented on it. They have a lot of tools to work with. I imagine each one of them uses a different mix of tools trough out the broadcast.

Back
Top Bottom