The Attendance Thread

Just announced at the the "State of Nascar Address":
Sellouts up 50% over 2022.
Two things I'm skeptical about

1) what is up 50%. Give the number of actual sellouts

2) What is considered a sellout? Terms like that are used very loosely these days. They've changed what they consider a full field to 36, which isn't actually full because there's 40 spots. So is sold out 90% of tickets?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Of course you will never convince a seat counter, they will invent any excuse, but what the hell. This was at last weeks Martinsville.

Note: they younger people are paid plants, to make it look like young people actually care about Nascar racing.

That's a TikTok video, so it must be the work of the heathen Communist Chinee

2) What is considered a sellout? Terms like that are used very loosely these days. They've changed what they consider a full field to 36, which isn't actually full because there's 40 spots. So is sold out 90% of tickets?
'Sold out' is 100% of tickets / seat available for purchase. That doesn't mean tickets were offered for all sections or grandstands. It also doesn't mean everyone who bought a ticket showed up, especially those holding tickets bought in blocks buy corporate buyers.

Two things I'm skeptical about

1) what is up 50%. Give the number of actual sellouts

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
That's a TikTok video, so it must be the work of the heathen Communist Chinee
Well, it's a LOT easier to have a sell out if you remove half the seats........ My kitchen table is sold out every night because we put all but two chairs in the closet. Get back to me when one of these tracks start BUILDING new seats.

Not sure if this has changed since but before the NASCAR acquisition ISC was calling sellouts at 98.5%.

Also there were eight sellouts last year so that must mean twelve in 2023.
It seems like attendance has been climbing since 2021. It bottomed out in 2018-2019 where it felt like every race but Daytona was half empty. I go to Pocono every year and this year’s Pocono crowd felt like it was 2006 again. Packed. Darlington Southern 500 I attended was pretty full too.

It seems like attendance has been climbing since 2021. It bottomed out in 2018-2019 where it felt like every race but Daytona was half empty. I go to Pocono every year and this year’s Pocono crowd felt like it was 2006 again. Packed. Darlington Southern 500 I attended was pretty full too.
It is. Younger people love attending because it’s awesome live, you can bring your own alcohol, and it’s relatively cheap. In todays world of expensive tickets, NASCAR is a welcome thing

Just announced at the the "State of Nascar Address":
Sellouts up 50% over 2022.
When tracks remove seating for 30k to 60 k , the odds of selling out become greater.
Loudon is a glaring example, Laconia grandstands amputated. 30 k reduction.
Bristol, 30 k covered, 15 k lost to renovation.
Charlotte, entire backstretch , gone.

It is. Younger people love attending because it’s awesome live, you can bring your own alcohol, and it’s relatively cheap. In todays world of expensive tickets, NASCAR is a welcome thing

The best way and maybe the only way to make a NASCAR fan is to get them to the track. It is a great experience even before the cars fire up.

Don't confuse the Koolaid drinkers with facts. They get defensive.

I think it would be better if NASCAR didn’t do the state of the sport thing. Phelps may be an honest intelligent man but he appears as oily as Eddie Gossage to me.

The people you refer to as kool aid drinkers are just super fans IMO. They love NASCAR and are heavily invested in it and want to see it prosper again. That is not a bad thing to hope for. If they think a race is sold out when there are clearly seats available I don’t worry about it.

It looks like NASCAR attendance has been doing well from my perspective - it's relative given the seats being removed, but finding the bottom of the market is good for them and a way for them to possibly find their way up. I was surprised to see ISC put in any effort at all this year in trying to sell me MIS tickets. That hasn't really happened with individual phone calls and the like before.

At least Loudon kept the Laconia grandstands in storage on the property...
Screenshot_20231104_102533_Maps.jpg

Last I heard 25K seating for the Iowa Speedway race.

I get NASCAR isn’t as popular as it used to be, but that’s a really low number for a track that has the ability to bring in temporary seating for 35,000 or so.

I am shocked at the attendance of The Clash. I know they changed
the race day and all for weather on Sunday but dang. Bring it back
to Daytona would be my vote.

Reactions: sdj
Seems like ticket pre-sales were down a bit with how many more tarps were up but it goes without saying it would’ve been much more full tomorrow night. Probably at least 40-45k if it ran as scheduled.

It ended up about half full, and they changed the entire date of the race 3 and a half hours before the green flag. If you weren’t within 20 miles of the coliseum you weren’t going today.
Yeah they had no choice. Storm has been so bad out there that they completely cancelled the final round at Pebble Beach

Serious question: Has there ever been discussion about putting the Clash at Camping World Stadium or Hard Rock Stadium in Florida? I know that doesn't help with the "No Southern California race" situation they're in but at least it would then be part of Speedweeks and cut down on some of the travel/logistics expenses.

I think even if there’s another boom, NASCAR realizes that creating high demand for a ticket is a good thing. Daytona sold out in November and keeps selling out earlier and earlier since they took 40k seats out a few years ago. Iowa sold out extremely fast and they aren’t adding seats.

Eh. They could have added some @ Iowa, the resale ticket prices are outrageous.

I love me some cheap tickets to Las Vegas, Gateway, Michigan in particular.

Serious question: Has there ever been discussion about putting the Clash at Camping World Stadium or Hard Rock Stadium in Florida? I know that doesn't help with the "No Southern California race" situation they're in but at least it would then be part of Speedweeks and cut down on some of the travel/logistics expenses.

Both are too small. It only works at the Coliseum because it’s larger than the average football stadium. If you watch a USC football game, you’ll see that the area behind one of the end zones is pretty large.

Eh. They could have added some @ Iowa, the resale ticket prices are outrageous.

I love me some cheap tickets to Las Vegas, Gateway, Michigan in particular.
I got spoiled at Pocono for a while but its been sold out the past couple years. Used to wait till race week or even race day and get cheap 300 level resale seats. Not lately.

I think NASCAR will continue to host the Chase in underserved markets for at least another three year contract, and probably six to nine. Taking the show on the road exposes the sport to new audiences and gives the existing fans a new layout to get excited about. I suspect travel expenses are less than a car torn up at Daytona.

Plenty of elbow room at Bristol.
Looks about 60% filled for the Spring 2024 race.

Back
Top Bottom