The changes have arrived.

This damage rule is terrible. Not good for the fans to see Trucks that were close to getting back going (Bell & Moffitt) that are now out.

That was painful to watch. Like some others, I can't stand the segment cautions counting and being of an arbitrary length. Im giving this a chance, but seriously don't know how long I can stomach it. It really does destroy what a race should be.

My TV will contribute to the negative ratings. The first lap I see will be practice at LVMS after I've had beer and breakfast.
I expect the geniuses at NASCAR to make changes before May.

I liked the damage rule. Bell and John Hunters teams had no problem with the 5minuteso multiple times so I'd think Cup teams would have no problem. I do agree that the race should be red flagged at the end of the stages. Can't really run caution laps and not count them towards the race distance though so red flag would be my suggestion.

I liked the damage rule. Bell and John Hunters teams had no problem with the 5minuteso multiple times so I'd think Cup teams would have no problem. I do agree that the race should be red flagged at the end of the stages. Can't really run caution laps and not count them towards the race distance though so red flag would be my suggestion.

The pace laps don't count... why do the laps between segments have to?

Are you watching the Truck race? It's demonstrating the stages are far stupider than the 5-minute rule could ever hope to be.
To be fair, judging the stage concept by a truck race - or ANY restrictor plate race - is not a good idea, IMO. Truck races are too short and too chopped up by incidents to be a fair test of the concept. And so are most plate races in the other divisions. This truck race was a clusterf*** but I intend to take a wait-and-see attitude.

I do agree with Dun that the caution laps shouldn't count.

Oh my God, WHO CARES about the five-minute clock??? (A column)

Twitter got alllllll pissy Friday night during the Truck Series race at Daytona, acting mad over NASCAR’s new rule that requires crash repairs to be completed in five minutes.

People were legitimately angry over this. For real!

My God, people! If you want to see damaged cars on a track that badly, go check out your local demolition derby.

I care about who battles for the win, not whether the freaking 26th-place driver who wrecked before halfway can ride around long enough to finish 25th. Catch the excitement!

If a vehicle is so damaged it can’t be repaired in five minutes, just go home. Why does it need to be on the track? Just because that’s how it’s always been?

I’m not anti-repairs. Look at Christopher Bell’s example: Contact sent him into a spin at the end of Stage 1, he literally went airborne, landed, fixed the damage and was leading the race by the halfway point. Neat!

But it was neat because his vehicle could continue and didn’t have a bunch of debris-caution-causing crap hanging off it. In the examples people cited on Twitter (“But Tommy Underdog came back from two laps down after hitting the wall at Talladega in ’02!”), did the repairs really take longer than five minutes? Or do you just remember a damaged car having a comeback?

Because in most cases, a repair that takes longer than five minutes is often going to take a car out of contention for a good finish anyway. So it doesn’t matter, right?

Now, some of you are probably thinking: But Jeff, what if a team misses the playoff because of two or three points it could have picked up during a race when repairs took too long?

My answer is: TOO BAD!! Holy crap, are we really worried about this? Maybe try harder at other races next time!

I just can’t get fired up about telling a team to pack up for a night because stuff is so broken that it can’t be fixed quickly.

Look, I hate it just as much as everyone else when NASCAR takes away some long-held traditions — but is this really one to get upset about?

It’s like someone pulling the weeds out of your lawn to make it look better, and you get mad because you preferred it to look how nature intended.

They’re freaking WEEDS! Just look at how nice your lawn looks now and focus on that, OK?

http://jeffgluck.com/five-minute-clock-complaints-please-stop-cant-take-it/

But there was a couple cars according to many people on Twitter that could have ran. Why is that good for the fans?

There's no doubt that a majority of fans on here will disagree with what Gluck had to say but he nailed it. The rules are the same for all of them. A wash IMO.

Man, how I wish I would have made my bold prediction that the race threads this year would all boil down to a collective segment meltdown. That would have been a sure finalist for voting.

I'm a fan of that change especially after seeing someone like Crafton winning his stages being rewarded towards the eventual playoffs. He raced hard and was rewarded for that.

I've decided I have no objection to the 5-minute rule, and may even lean toward liking it. We saw several trucks successfully make repairs and return to the race, notably the #4 twice. Crew chiefs need to learn to manage the clock. Saying a team was just a few seconds over is like saying, "They were only a couple of MPH under the minimum!", and I don't recall anyone ever screaming that here.

As to the stages, let's look at last night's truck race. The race lost 12% of the scheduled distance BY DESIGN. Stage 2 awarded the same points as stage 1, even though stage 2 was effectively 6 laps and 30% shorter than stage 1 BY DESIGN. I'm sure NASCAR will stick to its guns for at least this season, but there are at least 3 ways to fix these issues. In order of preference:

1) Don't throw a caution at the end of the stages, just award the points and let them keep racing. (No, that ain't gonna happen because of the TV commitments.)
2) Don't count the laps between stages. Continue to count all other caution laps caused by wrecks, debris, etc. No other sport takes the break between segments, halves, quarters, periods, etc. out of the playing time of the next share. (Preferred option of those that stand a chance of happening.)
3) Have only two stages in the Trucks and Xfinity series. (More likely to happen than #2, but 'most likely' is relative.)

Now, excuse me while I copy this so I can paste it into the next Fan Council survey.

I love these changes lap 20 was exciting that's never happened before lap 40 was exciting that's never happened before and watching these guys trying to fix his trucks within that 5 minute clock was awesome it adds a whole new element to the race itself it's almost like the feeling you get when a guy is in the penalty box during a hockey game. I know I'm the minority here and people are going to feel the way they're going to feel. but my two cents are its awesome just like the rest of life you have to adapt and you have to move forward all you're pissing and moaning is not going to do anything but make you piss and moan more.

But there was a couple cars according to many people on Twitter that could have ran. Why is that good for the fans?

did you watch the race or are you just going off of this Twitter crap? because the two trucks that people are talking about one definitely had trailing arms rear end bent over the thing was complete yaw it look like an airplane it was absolutely not ready to be raced again. the other one, that truck was fixed but it took 20 seconds too long and that's on them they know what the rules are how hard is it to take a stopwatch out and time yourself?

Ain’t thinkin’ gimmicks adopted to appease the TV partners are going to benefit the show with greater fan interest in the long run. They haven’t to this point. The proof is in future ratings and, to a lesser extent, the live gate.

Why? In every other sport points are accumulated throughout the entire event. This will reward you on how you run and not only how you finish.

Points for the players are tabulated in stick and ball and a running total is kept but there are no championship implications involved. In other words the player with the most rushing yards for the year may play on a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

The points a team accumulates during a game just go in determining the winner of the game and then are forgotten unless they are needed to be used in tie breaker situations.

Points for the players are tabulated in stick and ball and a running total is kept but there are no championship implications involved. In other words the player with the most rushing yards for the year may play on a team that doesn't make the playoffs.

The points a team accumulates during a game just go in determining the winner of the game and then are forgotten unless they are needed to be used in tie breaker situations.

Still doesn't answer why can't we have points accumulate during the race I see absolutely nothing wrong with that and I think it's great because it rewards performance.

Doesn't matter cream will always rise to the top.

I liked it when NASCAR was unique. Many don't want the sport to become like every other sport, especially not like stick and ball sports.
There is no stick in soccer, basketball etc and no ball in Hockey. So I think it should be changed to the politically correct "stick and/or ball sports". :confused:

Oh my God, WHO CARES about the five-minute clock??? (A column)

Twitter got alllllll pissy Friday night during the Truck Series race at Daytona, acting mad over NASCAR’s new rule that requires crash repairs to be completed in five minutes.

People were legitimately angry over this. For real!

My God, people! If you want to see damaged cars on a track that badly, go check out your local demolition derby.

I care about who battles for the win, not whether the freaking 26th-place driver who wrecked before halfway can ride around long enough to finish 25th. Catch the excitement!

If a vehicle is so damaged it can’t be repaired in five minutes, just go home. Why does it need to be on the track? Just because that’s how it’s always been?

I’m not anti-repairs. Look at Christopher Bell’s example: Contact sent him into a spin at the end of Stage 1, he literally went airborne, landed, fixed the damage and was leading the race by the halfway point. Neat!

But it was neat because his vehicle could continue and didn’t have a bunch of debris-caution-causing crap hanging off it. In the examples people cited on Twitter (“But Tommy Underdog came back from two laps down after hitting the wall at Talladega in ’02!”), did the repairs really take longer than five minutes? Or do you just remember a damaged car having a comeback?

Because in most cases, a repair that takes longer than five minutes is often going to take a car out of contention for a good finish anyway. So it doesn’t matter, right?

Now, some of you are probably thinking: But Jeff, what if a team misses the playoff because of two or three points it could have picked up during a race when repairs took too long?

My answer is: TOO BAD!! Holy crap, are we really worried about this? Maybe try harder at other races next time!

I just can’t get fired up about telling a team to pack up for a night because stuff is so broken that it can’t be fixed quickly.

Look, I hate it just as much as everyone else when NASCAR takes away some long-held traditions — but is this really one to get upset about?

It’s like someone pulling the weeds out of your lawn to make it look better, and you get mad because you preferred it to look how nature intended.

They’re freaking WEEDS! Just look at how nice your lawn looks now and focus on that, OK?

http://jeffgluck.com/five-minute-clock-complaints-please-stop-cant-take-it/

I hate it when the media yells at the fans. It is just wrong. :dual9mm:

Still doesn't answer why can't we have points accumulate during the race I see absolutely nothing wrong with that and I think it's great because it rewards performance.

Doesn't matter cream will always rise to the top.

I wasn't commenting on points doled out during a race just that there is no correlation between stick and ball points and Nascar points. IMO it doesn't matter what Nascar does with the points as in the end it is lottery anyway.

The worst situation in any corporate management is to have a bunch of Yes men and women.Some of our best ideas where I work came from people disagreeing with the company's decisions.

Absolutely as you don't want a bunch of contrarians but you absolutely want to have your people giving ideas and perspective as there are a lot of clever people who can streamline processes and procedures.

The worst situation in any corporate management is to have a bunch of Yes men and women.Some of our best ideas where I work came from people disagreeing with the company's decisions.
I guess I'm confused here..... Does this mean that Gluck is simply lying about his position on the topic? Gluck is not an employee of anyone.

Back
Top Bottom