The changes have arrived.

They are 2 men that are in charge of the Boston Bruins that through dubious moves have taken a championship caliber team and turned it into a team that can't make the playoffs. The latest gaffe was firing the best coach in team history yesterday and it was announced during the Pats Super Bowl parade which was totally chicken****. Suffice it to say the fans in Beantown are livid.

"regular season" points also matter for getting into the playoffs without a win, just as before. Also, the top 10 in points at the end of the regular season get bonus playoff points as if they had won a race or stage. Yeah, it's confusing as hell.
It's complex, but no more so than golf rankings, or tennis rankings, etc. Even NFL standings can be bizarro, especially at mid-season with teams of the same won-loss record being division leaders, wild cards, and "in the hunt."

Professional Bull Riding is an interesting sport that enjoys superb broadcasts on CBS Sports Network. The quality of the commentary puts Allen-Burton-LeTarte to shame. Their points are way more complex, and they also have various stages with points as well as overall points. No problem to me, as the updated standings always appear at the end.

"regular season" points also matter for getting into the playoffs without a win, just as before. Also, the top 10 in points at the end of the regular season get bonus playoff points as if they had won a race or stage. Yeah, it's confusing as hell.
giphy.gif

It's complex, but no more so than golf rankings, or tennis rankings, etc. Even NFL standings can be bizarro, especially at mid-season with teams of the same won-loss record being division leaders, wild cards, and "in the hunt."

Professional Bull Riding is an interesting sport that enjoys superb broadcasts on CBS Sports Network. The quality of the commentary puts Allen-Burton-LeTarte to shame. Their points are way more complex, and they also have various stages with points as well as overall points. No problem to me, as the updated standings always appear at the end.
Last month I took a look at how golf rankings are calculated. That's a 3-credit-hour, 300-level course with mandatory 1-hour lab.

I think there is some confusion here, (Maybe I'm confused). The winner of the race not only gets the 40 seasonal points, but also 5 playoff points. The winner of each segment gets 1 playoff point. Only the playoff points carry over to the chase (playoffs). The seasonal points are once again reset once the playoffs start except for the playoff points.
So really it is all about playoff points. The seasonal points are worthless once someone gets a win. i.e. win and you're in.

I've been trying to do some scenarios with the playoff points, and from my messing around, I'm thinking that if anyone can get 7 wins they are pretty much gauranteed to be in the final 4. So I expect to see fewer different winners this year opposed to previous years.
Do nothing all race, then win and you get 40 points.
Win 2 segments and come in second and you get 10+ 10+ 35. Even if you win a race, your not guaranteed a spot in the Chase unless there are less than 16 winners. However you could be far enough behind in points after the reset that you don't make the next round.

May have been answered already but does the regular season points leader at the end of 26 races advance to homestead? Or do they just get a big point bonus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May have been answered already but does the regular season points leader at the end of 26 races advance to homestead? Or do they just get a big point bonus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Additional 15 bonus points. No automatic advancement.

I'm trying get into NASCAR this year and I guess I'm excited to see racing, but I don't know if I can stomach these in race points changes for some reason. Just seems really dumb to award points 1/4th through the race.

Less meaning to the actual winner of the race and still a chase sucks. Maybe if NASCAR gets rid of the fake debris cautions with these planned ones I'll start to watch more.

I'm trying get into NASCAR this year and I guess I'm excited to see racing, but I don't know if I can stomach these in race points changes for some reason. Just seems really dumb to award points 1/4th through the race.

Less meaning to the actual winner of the race and still a chase sucks. Maybe if NASCAR gets rid of the fake debris cautions with these planned ones I'll start to watch more.
It may be time to pick a new sport. The Chase isn't going anywhere. Points are going to be issued 1/4, 1/2, and at the end of the race and any caution where debris is not shown will still be deemed to be a fake debris caution.

I have been a Nascar fan for decades and while I don't enjoy the series as much as I used to there are still good things about it and I make sure to see as many races as I can as you can't really tell when you are going to see a good one. Another thing I do is ignore the points because I don't feel Nascar crowns its champ legitimately anyway so I try and so what others do and just look for good moments in the races.

Didn't they drop the 'chase' for the 'playoffs' or somethin' equally exciting?

It may be time to pick a new sport. The Chase isn't going anywhere. Points are going to be issued 1/4, 1/2, and at the end of the race and any caution where debris is not shown will still be deemed to be a fake debris caution.

IMO there are several work arounds to still enjoy Nascar but you have to be proactive and wade through some crap to find them. The easiest fix for the points and championship it to ignore them as in my world Nascar doesn't crown a champ.

IMO there are several work arounds to still enjoy Nascar but you have to be proactive and wade through some crap to find them. The easiest fix for the points and championship it to ignore them as in my world Nascar doesn't crown a champ.
I still enjoy NASCAR about as much as I ever did. I'm simply no longer a fan of the way we crown our champion.

Because I haven't bothered to seek out the new points systems, this is the first time that I've seen it in its entirety.
If it gets them up on the wheel, I don't mind it.

We've always heard these drivers stating that they are racing as hard as they can. Personally I think that's complete BS. Through in the threat of a rain shortened race and these guys/gal turn it up a notch. I hope that the advantage of earning these points that carry them throughout the Chase are enough to have the same effect. Only time will tell.

I watch, I follow, will probably follow more IndyCar, USAC, dirt racing now. I can stomach the Chase actually, the playoff points carrying over is a nice change, they should have had some twin races on a weekend at a few tracks, shortened a few races, kept the schedule at 36 races.As usual a lot of fans would like to see another road course, maybe Charlotte will do it.

The awarding points mid-race just doesn't seem great to me. NASCAR has fake debris cautions at the last 2 races I've attended.

I was thinking about the new format wondering how it will play out. I think it might be OK for the season but I'm not sure I'll like it for the 500. I kinda want the Daytona 500 to continue to be what it always has been - keep a little tradition.

Just a thought, but we all know what the last lap of a restrictor-plate race is like as the drivers fight like hell for position (and points) that results, more often than not, in a big wreck.

So with this new format can we now expect to see a mad dash for the finish line three times in each restrictor-plate race ?

Just a thought, but we all know what the last lap of a restrictor-plate race is like as the drivers fight like hell for position (and points) that results, more often than not, in a big wreck.

So with this new format can we now expect to see a mad dash for the finish line three times in each restrictor-plate race ?
End of the race still pays the most points and the most money. I think you'll see some back marker teams trying to be the straw that stirs the drink in those first 2 segments, but if you have confidence that you're going to be a chase team, it makes much more sense to make sure you're around at the end.

Rewarding points after 60 laps is a joke and I regret spending $1000s on NASCAR in the 1990s
This actually reminds me a lot of the Right Guard Challenge from the mid 90's... where whoever was leading at the mid way point collected an extra 10 Grand... I thought that was great. they hustled up to take the money..... but... they never stopped the friggin' race!!!!!!!!!!! This flagging the race for different segments has to be the stupidest idea I have heard of since Bill Jr. told Brian that he was in charge... why not just score them on the segments and let 'em keep racin'? Back in the 90's they didn't have the computerized scoring lines and they seemed to know who was leading at halfway... Why do we have to call ''timeouts'' now? This is all B.S.

This format will make plate racing more entertaining because it motivates the drivers to actually make moves to the front. But thats it. Everything else will look the same.

This actually reminds me a lot of the Right Guard Challenge from the mid 90's... where whoever was leading at the mid way point collected an extra 10 Grand... I thought that was great. they hustled up to take the money..... but... they never stopped the friggin' race!!!!!!!!!!! This flagging the race for different segments has to be the stupidest idea I have heard of since Bill Jr. told Brian that he was in charge... why not just score them on the segments and let 'em keep racin'? Back in the 90's they didn't have the computerized scoring lines and they seemed to know who was leading at halfway... Why do we have to call ''timeouts'' now? This is all B.S.
This I agree with. I love the segment points and all that, but I wish they just let 'em go green straight through. However, I do understand tv's need to have some designated spots where they can gain ad revenue. These cars don't wreck near as often as they did with the gen-4 or even COT cars. So we either have bs debris cautions, or we get competition yellows. FWIW, I think this is the right way to go. At the very least, this has some transparency to it.

This I agree with. I love the segment points and all that, but I wish they just let 'em go green straight through.

Agree.

With NASCAR's timing 'n scoring equipment and operating technicians they have the capability to do whatever they want.

Mentioned on Sirius NASCAR Radio that Competition Cautions are going away. Not an official announcement. Just a rumor at this point.

I'll believe it when I see it or don't see it.

As someone who will have to tape/DVR a lot of races. My interest will pick up if these planned cautions are in place of the debris cautions they throw.

NASCAR Expands Concussion Protocol

NASCAR today announced updates to its concussion protocol for competitors, adding a consistent screening tool for all venues and increasing available neurological support for race event weekends through its new partnership with AMR

“NASCAR has worked very closely with the industry to ensure our concussion protocol reflects emerging best practices in this rapidly developing area of sports medicine,” said Jim Cassidy, NASCAR senior vice president of racing operations. “We will continue to utilize relationships we’ve had for years with leaders in the neurological research field who helped to shape these updates.”

NASCAR’s protocol now includes:

• As part of the new rule regarding damaged vehicles, a driver whose car sustains damage from an accident or contact of any kind and goes behind the pit wall or to the garage is required to visit the Infield Care Center to be evaluated.
• The medical portion of NASCAR’s Event Standards now require that Infield Care Center physicians incorporate the SCAT-3 diagnostic tool in screening for head injuries.
• AMR will provide on-site neurological consultative support at select NASCAR events during the 2017 season and will work directly with NASCAR in the continued development of concussion protocol.

The new protocol goes into effect immediately for all NASCAR national series.

http://www.mrn.com/Race-Series/NASC...17/02/NASCAR-Expands-Concussion-Protocol.aspx

Oh Brian France, you little rascal...... Just when I think you're out of tricks you give us all another knee slapper.

Do not ever think, even for one second, EVER, that Brian France will ever stop with bogus debris cautions. It is his favorite toy and he will not part with it.

Irony?

"As a driver, I'm happy to be rewarded for performing well throughout the event, not just for how I finished," said Dale Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR's most popular driver. "It'll tick you off if you're in that car for enough races and you're whooping everybody's butt all day long and then you get beat by somebody who's running 20th all day, just by circumstance, how the cautions fall late in the race.

Dale Jr was so unhappy about losing to late debris cautions, he's thrilled with these intermissions that are thinly veiled replacements for the bunch up the field bogus debris cautions.

Serious question, inspired by the first-lap 'Big One' in the Truck race.

Say you're banged up in a wreck but the truck will still run. Would there be any benefit to NOT going directly to the pits, to making a slow lap or two under caution and let the spotter try to figure out the major problems and prioritize which ones to work on? Maybe the team can see the car on TV or even through binos, get some ideas BEFORE they're on the clock.

Just a notion.

Good idea. Ride around sheddin’ damaged stuff on the track.

The crew won’t have to spend the time pullin’ that crap off.

That's NASCAR's problem, not the teams. Im with Charlie, if they don't black flag ya, exploit the system and use that time.

Another advantage I didn't think of. And if I can think of this notion, it's probably occurred to plenty of crew chiefs.

Also, if the race isn't red-flagged, and you can complete one more lap under caution than everyone else who immediately pits, congrats. You just jumped ahead of them in the final standings. Finishing order is still determined by laps completed if not on the lead lap.

Back
Top Bottom