The future of the WEC

You have got to be kidding me, c'mon ACO and FIA:

Lower cost, but charge 100,000 Euros for some slight changes to the aero kit? I do not like this move man. Trying to re-invent the wheel for what? Just follow IMSA's formula, it works.

There might be a possibility of Audi coming after all.

Larry Holt (from Multimatic) says “We’ve just made Audi’s first chassis." Go to the last line of the article.

Maybe they ordered a chassis before they decided not to race, or maybe maybe they changed their minds. I guess we will know if/when they show us the thing.

OK, this is a little better than a rumor, but it's not bad news. Maybe if they do run, hopefully they will at least come over here for the enduros.

Old article from February I think.

Dries Vanthoor said something about how how the whole thing went down on Instagram recently. He and the rest of their drivers had their stuff packed to fly out to the unveil presentation, the next day they were told the program was canned. That short of a notice.

Whatever stuff they had built up has been repurposed to the Porsche program I think.

You have got to be kidding me, c'mon ACO and FIA:

Lower cost, but charge 100,000 Euros for some slight changes to the aero kit? I do not like this move man. Trying to re-invent the wheel for what? Just follow IMSA's formula, it works.
Totally pointless and unnecessary. It’s not even supposed to be faster, just “different”. Lol

Porsche have already asked “do we really need this?” and they field like half the Am entries. Those costs just get passed down to the teams. Obviously they talked to neither the manufacturers nor the teams about this. It’ll probably be canned eventually.

Old article from February I think.
I'm sorry. I forgot the link, but it was on Racer yesterday. Now I can't find it.

I sure hope that's a recent article because that would just mean more cars. All he said was that they just finished Audi's chassis, which could mean almost anything. If they don't run it, the chassis will probably land in Porsche's hands.

Once again, the FIA does not look after the privateers.

Are they trying to run the privateers off?
GT3 is them taking another concept they didn’t conceive, so of course they have to change it up somehow. No performance difference, just has to look different. What a waste. I’m sure they’ll be talked out of it eventually though, as they’ve at least been more receptive to evolving ideas the last few years.

Probably belongs on the WEC forum too, but here's the Penske Porsche. It's simplicity is beautiful.

porsche070622_ldn1763_-_3_4_fronthoch_high.jpg

Rumors are that the Porsche customers on the WEC side are Jota moving up from LMP2, and Proton moving up from GTE. It’d be great to see immediate customer uptake confirmed soon if it’s true.

Can’t wait to see the wingless freak in action.

Glick turned French over the break.

Seriously, it’s good to see teams get away from the red/black/white everyone’s been running since 2016 or so.

Now I am a little bit less skeptical now that we have seen the car. It looks like an Acura with humongous fins added. These are so ridiculous I doubt this is the final version. Maybe we are being played.

Well this is certainly something…hopefully it doesn’t turn out to be vaporware and is a nice surprise. Williams Advanced Engineering, Michelloto, and an six-cylinder engine from a major German OEM.

I'd like to see more privateers or smaller marques given the chance over in IMSA...
It’d be cool, but I see why they can’t.

Maybe the engine brand would be good enough as long as the automotive partner fee is paid.

It’d be cool, but I see why they can’t.

Maybe the engine brand would be good enough as long as the automotive partner fee is paid.
I believe any manufacturer in IMSA must sell a minimum number of production cars in the US. Glickenhaus doesn't, and he's pretty bitter that he can't run here. There's a video on Youtube, and I'll try to find it.

As far as privateers, I don't think there's anyone in the world besides Glick that would be silly enough to spend $35 million on a hypercar. The big hope for the privateers is going to be the Porsche and Lambo customer car programs.

Looks like Glick could make a race out of it ...... https://racer.com/2022/07/09/glickenhaus-back-on-top-in-final-monza-wec-practice/

I believe any manufacturer in IMSA must sell a minimum number of production cars in the US. Glickenhaus doesn't, and he's pretty bitter that he can't run here. There's a video on Youtube, and I'll try to find it.

As far as privateers, I don't think there's anyone in the world besides Glick that would be silly enough to spend $35 million on a hypercar. The big hope for the privateers is going to be the Porsche and Lambo customer car programs.
Yep, 2,500 production cars annually. Rules out many of the low-volume/boutiques, but they’ve been consistent for several years when this came up with Panoz, Ginetta, KTM, SIN, and Putin’s limo manufacturer.

Agreed that the customer cars are a great offering, and they should only open up even more as programs get established and supply chains (hopefully) improve.

Looks pretty close in race pace among Hypercars, should genuinely be an interesting race. Hopefully Peugeot have the reliability and can contend tomorrow.

Also congratulations to Sarah Bovy to be the first woman to earn a WEC pole with topping GTE-Am.

First hour and last hour are on Motor Trend tomorrow, 6 AM and 11 AM ET.

Sausage kerbs have to go:

This cannot continue to happen.

Won’t happen until someone dies, I’m certain. Somehow we decided lining race tracks with ramps is a safe way to police track limits. 🤷‍♂️ Too many near-death instances of this have happened already and nothing changed.

What a finish after six hours of racing as Alpine beat the 8 Toyota by a mere two or three seconds. Glickenhaus had the fastest car this weekend, but blew an engine midway through. I wonder if they had almost too much power this weekend.

Corvette take GTE-Pro victory with a super fuel save by Nick Tandy, as the lead 52 Ferrari pitted for fuel with 2:30 to go.

Some nasty driving in GTE-Pro between Porsche and Ferrari again today. That rivalry needs to cool down before they jump to Hypercar together next season.

What a finish after six hours of racing as Alpine beat the 8 Toyota by a mere two or three seconds. Glickenhaus had the fastest car this weekend, but blew an engine midway through. I wonder if they had almost too much power this weekend.

Corvette take GTE-Pro victory with a super fuel save by Nick Tandy, as the lead 52 Ferrari pitted for fuel with 2:30 to go.

Some nasty driving in GTE-Pro between Porsche and Ferrari again today. That rivalry needs to cool down before they jump to Hypercar together next season.
Got to give Glickenhaus credit though, they were not joking around. That SCG007 was really hooked up, but I'm like you for them to have an engine issue like that makes me raise questions of just how much boost were they running? If they were legitimately running max power to that 680 threshold... Whew.

Got to give Glickenhaus credit though, they were not joking around. That SCG007 was really hooked up, but I'm like you for them to have an engine issue like that makes me raise questions of just how much boost were they running? If they were legitimately running max power to that 680 threshold... Whew.
Part of it is that the Glick is fundamentally not a great car, and has been running at both minimum weight and maximum power (520 kW) to try to be competitive. For Monza the organizers seemingly ditched the limit written into the rules, giving Glickenhaus 533 kW to run. Running at excessive power levels for a whole weekend definitely could’ve cooked the engine.

Part of it is that the Glick is fundamentally not a great car, and has been running at both minimum weight and maximum power (520 kW) to try to be competitive. For Monza the organizers seemingly ditched the limit written into the rules, giving Glickenhaus 533 kW to run. Running at excessive power levels for a whole weekend definitely could’ve cooked the engine.
Pipo Derani confirmed it was a turbo issue:

Speaking of which, AXR better be careful. Derani has been sublime with Glickenhaus, I wonder if Jim has any intentions of signing him on next season?

Back
Top Bottom