Throwback Thursday

Monza, Sept 6. 1970 Nina Rindt waiting for her husband Jochen to pass by.
He never made it back, the 1970 F1 champion crashed and died moments after the photo was taken.

Screenshot_20210819-213717_Chrome.jpg

Monza, Sept 6. 1970 Nina Rindt waiting for her husband Jochen to pass by.
He never made it back, the 1970 F1 champion crashed and died moments after the photo was taken.

View attachment 56967

As Gurney said, racing is a cruel sport, and this era of Formula One was amongst the most cruel. You would have had to have the mentality of a fighter pilot to cut it in that era.

IIRC he was piloting a Frings chassis @ the time.
After Larry's passing the ARTGO series added a rule you needed to install a length of roll bar tube
from the left front frame rail to the door bars.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of Detjens' crash, but around the same time Mark Martin got his leg broken when he was t-boned in the driver's footwell area of his Dillon chassis.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of Detjens' crash, but around the same time Mark Martin got his leg broken when he was t-boned in the driver's footwell area of his Dillon chassis.
Was the offset chassis compromised by the nature of the design or was it just a freak accident.

Somewhere I have a picture of the car damage, but I can't find it right now. When I find it, I will post it.

the Silver Fox, a man ahead of his time.

Listening to the Firecracker 400s on MRN from my older cousins porch was a thing during those years. My two cousins were older and my brother was too, but I was the one with the temper.

I remember Pearson beating Petty during two of those Firecracker 400s. I was a Petty fan and so pissed and going off about the results. I think my cousins and brother were more entertained about how angry I would get than the race. I was pretty animated about it all growing up.
But I couldn't hate the silver fox, he was just too damn good.

One of favorite memories of him was running a shriners race at GPS in early 80s. A local DJ agreed to take ride around with David for donation that was at least a few hundred dollars.
Pearson hauled azz while the DJ squatted and held on to the roll bars on the passenger side. He ran it like qualifing laps and and only inches from the wall off of the corners and down the straights. She had to be terrified, it was insane.

Listening to the Firecracker 400s on MRN from my older cousins porch was a thing during those years. My two cousins were older and my brother was too, but I was the one with the temper.

I remember Pearson beating Petty during two of those Firecracker 400s. I was a Petty fan and so pissed and going off about the results. I think my cousins and brother were more entertained about how angry I would get than the race. I was pretty animated about it all growing up.

One of favorite memories of him was running a shriners race at GPS in early 80s. A local DJ agreed to take ride around with David for donation that was at least a few hundred dollars.
Pearson hauled azz while the DJ squatted and held on to the roll bars on the passenger side. He ran it like qualifing laps and and only inches from the wall off of the corners and down the straights. She had to be terrified, it was insane.

I get worked up in a similar fashion about today's races as a full blown adult, whomever I'm watching with probably gets a real kick out of it.

I think what's fascinating about this era of cars is the amount of drag on the front end of the cars. Really was probably the perfect combo for great oval racing in hindsight. Now these things cut through air so perfectly something like this is impossible outside of maybe Michigan

I think what's fascinating about this era of cars is the amount of drag on the front end of the cars. Really was probably the perfect combo for great oval racing in hindsight. Now these things cut through air so perfectly something like this is impossible outside of maybe Michigan
It really bought out Pearson's greatness.
The 76 Daytona 500 is another good example. Petty had to much momentum off of four and they collided. As mad as I was it was probably better that Pearson won since Petty had wiped Pearson out.
Pearson was brilliant enough to hit the clutch and avoid stalling out.

They both were great imo.

View attachment 57092 Robin Miller checker shirt pushing Jim Hurtubise car Indy practice 1968.

I always do a double take when I see a roadster with the wide tires, as the cars were on the way out when the tires were on their way in. Rest in peace Herk, the Mallard and Robin. I'm sure you're both probably standing around bench racing somewhere right now. I didn't always agree with Robin, but you can't hold it against a guy that truly believed what he said and had the guts to say it, regardless of the consequences. We need MORE like him. God knows the NASCAR world needs somebody like him.

WOW! County Line Cheese was a damn fine cheese. Their plant was about two miles from where my best friend lives. I worked 34 years with a guy that had worked there in the late 70's. Another one of our great local brands like Ekrich Meats (now part of Smithfield) ) swallowed up by the conglomerates so they could plaster the respected name on the big guy's mediocre products.

Back
Top Bottom