Throwback Thursday

2007-01_Bud.jpg

open-uri20120928-20831-ttiwbg.jpg

GYI0065206151_20110617142912372_1280_1280.vresize.1024.576.high.36.JPG

a0f73018926bcaa191e5d5c75df010a8.jpg

"... was the first to glue lug nuts to the wheels."

For years, I have wondered who developed the ingenious yet oh-so-simple system of extended studs with a smaller diameter un-threaded tip, combined with glued lug nuts. And here I see it was the mysterious Mario Rossi who invented that system, or at least part of it.

I wonder if Rossi's cars won any races because of this innovation? I wonder how long it took for it to spread throughout the garage area? Anyone know?

"... was the first to glue lug nuts to the wheels."

For years, I have wondered who developed the ingenious yet oh-so-simple system of extended studs with a smaller diameter un-threaded tip, combined with glued lug nuts. And here I see it was the mysterious Mario Rossi who invented that system, or at least part of it.

I wonder if Rossi's cars won any races because of this innovation? I wonder how long it took for it to spread throughout the garage area? Anyone know?
Racing reference does not list any Rossi wins after the 1970 innovation, so I assume they didn't win any races as a result of the glue.
But they did win the 1970 pit crew contest.

I have no way of knowing but if I were to bet on it I would bet all of the big teams started doing the same thing in just a few races or weeks, two at the most.

It was still a brilliant and great moment. Racing is tough and great talent gets beat on a routine basis.

I had a Corvair, Monza 2 door. It wouldn't start after you drove it for awhile. Got it for cheap. Found a rats nest blocking the fan when we put it up on a rack. Ran fine, really fun car to drive with the IRS rear end. I would bitch slap Nader if I ever saw him :)

1641557449091.png
Harry Gant, Sonny Hutchens, Ray Hendrick and Jack Ingram

Dale Earnhardt’s unsponsored car getting serviced during the 1980 Winston Western 500 at Riverside. Dale started P5 and finished P2. This would also be Dan Gurney’s last race before his official retirement.

Back
Top Bottom