so many drivers available now
7 road course races short season
xfinity cars
nov through january
last race at daytona rc
no stages, no playoffs
f1 style points.
series sponser ... https://bit.ly/2XS27cB
I think it could be entertaining. Do they have enough road courses available in those months?

I'd like to see Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Sterling Marlin, Dale Jarrett, Ricky Rudd, Jeff Burton, Bobby Labonte, Tony Stewart, Dale Jr, Kyle Petty and Terry Labonte mix it up one more time. Maybe throw in Jeff Green, Frank Kimmell, Ron Honaday and Mike Skinner.

IMO it should be a one-off, in conjunction with something like the CARS Tour Throwback race at Hickory that apparently doesn't draw a big crowd or so I've been told.

I would prefer a short Powderpuff Series. 5 or 6 races for the ladies.

10 or 12 of the best available young women, 2 or 3 old girls with the field filled out by Jeff Gordon and both of Bill McAnally’s hauler drivers.

And Monster Boys. 5 or 6 of them in Victory Lane.

IMO it should be a one-off, in conjunction with something like the CARS Tour Throwback race at Hickory that apparently doesn't draw a big crowd or so I've been told.

If it were brought back, running it Southern 500 weekend would be perfect.

The Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) have a very good program in place for this type of idea.

It is called the Vintage Race of Champions (VROC). You get to see some fabulous retired drivers. They are currently attracting
NASCAR drivers from the past. There is always a charity attached with the events during the year. Drivers are usually available
in the paddocks at some point during the weekend. I like having the variety of drivers from the different sanctions
together on the track. It gives you that IROC feel.

Here is an attached
article for some further reading . https://svra.com/news/vroc-points-leaders-to-settle-pro-am-championships-at-vir/

I would like to see this race on a short track and the cars should be right out of the showroom. If the car doesn't have a production of 1000 cars then it don't race.

This thread pops back up again every 6-8 weeks and it’s debunked every time

The Sportscar Vintage Racing Association (SVRA) have a very good program in place for this type of idea.

It is called the Vintage Race of Champions (VROC). You get to see some fabulous retired drivers. They are currently attracting
NASCAR drivers from the past. There is always a charity attached with the events during the year. Drivers are usually available
in the paddocks at some point during the weekend. I like having the variety of drivers from the different sanctions
together on the track. It gives you that IROC feel.

Here is an attached
article for some further reading . https://svra.com/news/vroc-points-leaders-to-settle-pro-am-championships-at-vir/

A couple of things about vintage car racing. I enjoy going to vintage events, because I enjoy looking at old race cars that have REAL race history, but as the value of those cars has continued to go up and up, fewer and fewer of those type of cars show up. The last time I went to the one at the Brickyard, 75% of the cars were stuff I wouldn't pay $.10 to see, especially when driven by a bunch rich old geezers. Which brings up the second point. With a few notable exceptions, vintage car racing is basically a social event for middle age to old rich guys who never had a racing career living out their Walter Mitty dreams. Besides Bill Elliott, who like to go have fun with Ray Evernham, I don't know how many name stock car drivers would be attracted to this endeavor. And, as it always is with racing, who's going to pay for it? Most of the guys in racing who could afford it got that way by not spending their own money, so who pays?

driver must be retired from other 3 series
so many drivers available now
7 road course races short season
xfinity cars
nov through january
last race at daytona rc
no stages, no playoffs
f1 style points.
series sponser ... https://bit.ly/2XS27cB

Not something I would want to happen. Would I watch it? Probably...at least at first.

Do not like the beanie and corduroy coat types making decisions on what the rules of racing are...they are not the type to promote fender rubbing.

I'd like to see Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin, Rusty Wallace, Sterling Marlin, Dale Jarrett, Ricky Rudd, Jeff Burton, Bobby Labonte, Tony Stewart, Dale Jr, Kyle Petty and Terry Labonte mix it up one more time. Maybe throw in Jeff Green, Frank Kimmell, Ron Honaday and Mike Skinner.

Call me when any of those drivers show the slightest interest in participating. This idea pops annually in various forums, but not once since the Bristol mess have I heard a DRIVER suggest it

Do not like the beanie and corduroy coat types making decisions on what the rules of racing are...they are not the type to promote fender rubbing.
Younger NASCAR fans have been pushing for new blood based on their racing experience and how they envision the sport in 10 years.

“Old Timer” wants leadership based on outerwear style preferences.

It’s glaringly obvious who doesn't need to be in charge.

I would rather see the drivers I have watched for so many years enjoy their well deserved retirement and have fun with their family that probably sacrificed a lot so their husband, father, or mother could have a full time racing career.

Younger NASCAR fans have been pushing for new blood based on their racing experience and how they envision the sport in 10 years.

“Old Timer” wants leadership based on outerwear style preferences.

It’s glaringly obvious who doesn't need to be in charge.
If we're choosing NASCAR leadership based on clothing, I vote for Hooter's girls.

I'd rather keep my memories of Jeff Gordon from my childhood through adulthood pure instead of what would become if he ran a senior series. The only one that can pull off a senior series is the Senior PGA Tour because they arnt racing around a track at 100 plus MPH. I'd pass on this idea, hard pass.

Not sure about a senior series, but it would be cool to see some of the more recently retired drivers in the truck series at some short tracks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Get Joe Nemechek and Morgan Shepherd to enter the same race and it will be done done.

I think if we introduce a legends tour, to learn from the mistakes of the Fast Masters Championship, it has to run actual race cars. Such as Super Late Models or K&N/ARCA spec cars

With nascar struggling to get competitive teams in both the truck and Xfinity series I think one of the worst things they could do is create another series to dilute the product. At this point I think quality would do them a lot better than quantity.

The Truck Series isn't having a competition issue. It's the Xfinity and Cup Series that needs fixed.

Trucks had a solid field compared to X.

The Truck series is the one lacking competition money so I think certain races that are held in conjunction with Cup races could have an extra feature that would include "Old Timers" and those trucks could be beefed up to withstand a bit more "rubbin". These drivers and trucks could also have an event at Tony's dirt track.
IMO, I think All Nascar's Official Sponsors plus those others wanting to get involved could fund the project. Maybe start the first season off with five races and add 2 more races each year as the fan base increases. Drivers must be 50 or retired from racing for 5 yrs.

This idea is already a proven failed concept. The series would be destined to die a quick death under any conceivable format. Nascar has a tough enough time trying to attract fans on a weekly basis let alone strapping drivers into seats that are beyond their prime. IMO, it's more favorable to remember these drivers at their best rather than to witness their diminished talent due to Father Time.

^ I'm not sure about that, the only hockey I watch is the old timers league
and girls. :D

Maybe each series could have a "legend" entry spot that pays extra. Not "start & park" equipment. Promote it and maybe get a one race sponsor (sponsor that doesn't want to do the full or partial schedule.) Pick the area/track where the driver would be most popular. Heck they could even have a legendary crew chief.

Maybe each series could have a "legend" entry spot that pays extra. Not "start & park" equipment. Promote it and maybe get a one race sponsor (sponsor that doesn't want to do the full or partial schedule.) Pick the area/track where the driver would be most popular. Heck they could even have a legendary crew chief.
Not really sure that would be a good idea. I mean these guys stopped or were force to stop because they could no long be competitive. What are we getting out of a "legend" coming back and running mid to back pack? There's only a few rare exceptions, Edwards, Cale, Ned Jarrett, of guys that left while they were still competitive.

Not really sure that would be a good idea. I mean these guys stopped or were force to stop because they could no long be competitive. What are we getting out of a "legend" coming back and running mid to back pack? There's only a few rare exceptions, Edwards, Cale, Ned Jarrett, of guys that left while they were still competitive.

Glad you didn't mention Tony :D

Back
Top Bottom