Time to look at playoff format?

wi_racefan

Team Owner
I'm a Harvick fan but today is just proof this system is flawed. Now MTJ who is 4th in points is out but Denny is 19th in points coming into today is locked in. I'm sorry that just doesn't sit well with me.

Not sure what the solution is? Top 5 in driver points guaranteed playoff spot and then wins and points from there?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I'm a Harvick fan but today is just proof this system is flawed. Now MTJ who is 4th in points is out but Denny is 19th in points coming into today is locked in. I'm sorry that just doesn't sit well with me.

Not sure what the solution is? Top 5 in driver points guaranteed playoff spot and then wins and points from there?

Top 16 in points should be the final 16 for the playoffs if we must have the playoffs. Note: This is a professional sport there should be no waivers either.

Wins gotta always trump. I'm sorry for MTJ (not really) but win just means more. I don't care if it's luck, rain, or whatever BS because when you win a cup race you've done something. These guys gotta race to win every race.

Wins gotta always trump. I'm sorry for MTJ (not really) but win just means more. I don't care if it's luck, rain, or whatever BS because when you win a cup race you've done something. These guys gotta race to win every race.
So you're saying when chris buescher won that rain/fog race he is more deserving to be in the playoffs than a guy that is top 5 in points? Don't forget they had to put extra effort into that team later that year to keep him top 30 in points to stay eligible.

If that's your opinion then I guess we'll just never agree on this one.

So you're saying when chris buescher won that rain/fog race he is more deserving to be in the playoffs than a guy that is top 5 in points? Don't forget they had to put extra effort into that team later that year to keep him top 30 in points to stay eligible.

If that's your opinion then I guess we'll just never agree on this one.

That's exactly what I'm saying because everyone knew the rain was coming but they were the only team smart enough to capitalize. Not everyone likes a rain ended race, or fuel mileage or whatever but too bad. I'll take a rain shortened race winner over winless MTJ, or anyone else, all day every day. Wins are what matters. Nobody talks about losers. Mark Martin was always the best loser in my book because that's all anyone talks about when he is mentioned.

That's exactly what I'm saying because everyone knew the rain was coming but they were the only team smart enough to capitalize. Not everyone likes a rain ended race, or fuel mileage or whatever but too bad. I'll take a rain shortened race winner over winless MTJ, or anyone else, all day every day. Wins are what matters. Nobody talks about losers. Mark Martin was always the best loser in my book because that's all anyone talks about when he is mentioned.
2009 was text book Mark Martin. Elite equipment. Killer speed all year. Championship caliber execution.

Just got beat by a winner.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree with the fact that top 16 in the regular season standings should be in the championship chase if we must have one. However, wins should still be extra points to be used throughout the playoffs. Win and you're in is just silly to me as I'd rather have drivers in the championship chase who possibly have a legit shot compared to drivers who were able to grab a random win at Daytona or Talladega.

I also think 16 is way too many to run for the championship. How many of the 16 currently in have a legit shot at the title? I count seven.

This is an outlier year. I'm fine with the playoff format. Truex & Blaney are still winless. It's been a crazy year to say the least, but it was expected with this new car.

I wouldn’t change anything honestly. The need for constant changing is the reason we have this system. Its an outlier year that maybe due to then new car, let’s leave it as is.

2009 was text book Mark Martin. Elite equipment. Killer speed all year. Championship caliber execution.

Just got beat by a winner.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1990 NASCAR Winston Cup Champion.

I'd go back to full a season points total winning the championship. Every race having equal impact and top tens and wrecks once again being important. I'm open to keeping the stages and a greater benefit for wins than what was historically done.
This will likely never happen but I can dream.

Everyone gets into the chase, with the same system for points and reset. If it were a couple races then limiting to the top tier makes sense...but not 10 races.

1. Top 40 in points eligible for Championship
2. Leading a lap gets you 5 points
3. Wins gets 10 extra points each
4. Most points after last race wins Championship.
I'm ok with that if points for leading a lap was taken out. Too many games played with guys staying out on a round of stops to get a point and teammates letting each other lead laps.

Do you really think that MTJ is having a better season than Denny? No. Therefore, the season long old fashioned point system doesn't work either.

Personally, I think the system is just fine. I have no problem with any of the Champions under this format, and I am sure that a deserving Champ will be crowned this year.

Do you really think that MTJ is having a better season than Denny? No. Therefore, the season long old fashioned point system doesn't work either.

Driver A: 17th in points
Driver B: 4th in points

Therefore, if this is the season long old fashioned point system, then MTJ has clearly been having a better season.

Driver A: 17th in points
Driver B: 4th in points

Therefore, if this is the season long old fashioned point system, then MTJ has clearly been having a better season.

Take away the points. Who is better this year. It's not MTJ. Therefore, the old system isn't reflective of performance.

Driver B:
0 wins​
3 top 5s​
10 top 10s​
1pole​
5594laps​
455lapsled​
13.9AVGST​
13.3AVGFIN​

2 wins​
4 top 5s​
6 top 10s​
3poles​
5237laps​
349lapsled​
12.0AVGST​
19.3AVGFIN​

Driver A, again, who is consistently outperformed besides WiN at AlL coSTs.

I'd go back to full a season points total winning the championship. Every race having equal impact and top tens and wrecks once again being important. I'm open to keeping the stages and a greater benefit for wins than what was historically done.
This will likely never happen but I can dream.

I also fall into this view. I think most people are more OK with Stages than the Playoffs.

A full-season championship with stages that award points but don't end in a caution would be my ideal format.

Do you still have to only be top 30 in points with a win? Just looked and wow only 32 full time drivers in the points system. So a and win and being 3rd worst in points will get you in. Didn't realize points were that bad.

Im going to put my flamesuit on for this post... I like the playoff system.

My background is traditional sports where legends and moments are made in the playoffs. Playoffs bring a higher level of competition, greater stakes and a level of urgency not seen in the regular season. The lows are lower and the highs are higher. The best driver/player, team or organization doesn't always win, and that's what makes sports great.

Now I would make a few changes.
  • No final championship race. Make it a 2 or 3 race set to determine the winner.
  • (I had another change that I was thinking of last night but cant remember right now lol)
  • Finally for the love of god NBC please stop screaming about "PLAYOFFS!!!". We understand, no need to screech about it any chance you get.
Just my opinion.

I'll say it again. I hate the whole system and would dump it in a heartbeat, but since that is not going to happen, just increase the number of points for a win and then take the top 16 on points. Make the number enough to give wins REAL value, but not enough to automatically vault the fluke winners into the playoffs.

Points & avoiding a DNF are going to start mattering soon. Maybe this will be like 2014??

Back
Top Bottom