Time to look at playoff format?

Anyone who is upset about how MTJ isn't in the playoffs just remember if Kurt wouldn't have stepped aside Blaney wouldn't be in either.....

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Bring back the damn 10 race Chase.

Make top 10 in points mean something.

10 race chase. Award stage points without yellows. Award playoff points for wins, stage wins, regular season championship and MOST LAPS LEAD (WHY does that not matter now?). Use those playoff points and launch these guys on a 10 race mini season for the championship. Best of both systems.

Nascar peaked from 04-13. Most exciting era of the sport, thickest field of talent, best points system

Bring that **** back. Full season is dead. Americans don't have the attention span. Nascar wants playoffs..make it a GOOD format again.

This race was a circus and a top 5 driver in the series missing it for Mr reality tv who can't win a race on speed is a joke.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Since the Playoff Defense Force LOVES bringing up other sports, at least in stick and ball sports, the regular season actually matters..

The Detroit Lions can't go 5-12, get a fluke win at the end of the regular season, and get to play for a chance to make the Super Bowl

I hated the Chase, and now the playoffs. But having said that, I'd happily go back to the 2004 version of the chase over the crap we currently have. Top 10 in points get to race for the Championship. I could get behind that again.

The 2011 championship battle, as awesome as it was, is the reason we have the current crapfest today.

Bring back the damn 10 race Chase.

Make top 10 in points mean something.

10 race chase. Award stage points without yellows. Award playoff points for wins, stage wins, regular season championship and MOST LAPS LEAD (WHY does that not matter now?). Use those playoff points and launch these guys on a 10 race mini season for the championship. Best of both systems.

Nascar peaked from 04-13. Most exciting era of the sport, thickest field of talent, best points system

Bring that **** back. Full season is dead. Americans don't have the attention span. Nascar wants playoffs..make it a GOOD format again.

This race was a circus and a top 5 driver in the series missing it for Mr reality tv who can't win a race on speed is a joke.

That’s what I’d like to see, I liked the 2011-2013 format in particular. I don’t believe we ever had a scenario between 2004-2013 where the championship was clinched before the final race, so you can still have an intriguing finale without the elimination crap.

Go on offence. Start a petition. 3 or 4 million signatures would be difficult to ignore.

Or continue to blubber for another 20 years.
I'll go with 20 more years of blubbering no matter what the point system is or for that matter what tracks they race at.

Go on offence. Start a petition. 3 or 4 million signatures would be difficult to ignore.

Or continue to blubber for another 20 years.
That's a task most ordinary folks don't have the time or resources/man power for. Wanting and blubbering sounds good. No one is threatening to disown the sport.

Puh-lease.

That's a task most ordinary folks don't have the time or resources/man power for. Wanting and blubbering sounds good. No one is threatening to disown the sport.

Puh-lease.

I would say millions of people HAVE disowned the sport since 2003. I know dozens of them personally. They don't scream and yell and pitch a bitch, they just stop coming to races and they just stop watching it.

I would say millions of people HAVE disowned the sport since 2003. I know dozens of them personally. They don't scream and yell and pitch a bitch, they just stop coming to races and they just stop watching it.
That's good for them, they must have hated it. I'm not gonna turn in my fandom over a points system. Champions are champions. But that also doesn't mean fans can't prefer a modified points format. Not sure if this is what you're saying but "stop bitching and stop watching if you don't like it", is an extreme take/response. I love NASCAR. I also wish we want back to the Chase.

Time to look at playoff format? The answer is an astounding YES. What we have today is simply too flawed. Truex is a legit championship threat & isn't going to have a chance for his second title. That's unacceptable. I appreciate that NASCAR is trying but at this point, they're just trying too hard without results.

The current system doesn't reward consistency at all. It's a shame really.

The old format from 2003 was literally perfect. NASCAR, just admit that you made a mistake by changing it. We all make mistakes, no biggie.

Same thing with tinkering the schedule too much. It was perfect the way it was. Two road courses are more than enough.

That's good for them, they must have hated it. I'm not gonna turn in my fandom over a points system. Champions are champions. But that also doesn't mean fans can't prefer a modified points format. Not sure if this is what you're saying but "stop bitching and stop watching if you don't like it", is an extreme take/response. I love NASCAR. I also wish we want back to the Chase.

Well the thing ALL sports must realize is they can not prosper catering ONLY to the most hardcore fans like us. The things we like and the things we will tolerate often turn off the less invested fans like so many that I know. Sometimes you get so close to something you fail to see how it looks the the rest of the world. Yesterday during their sports news, one of the biggest national morning radio shows was absolutely making fun of the concept of playoffs in auto racing, and these are people that being Indianapolis based are very supportive of auto racing in general.

I lost interest in the Oprah Winfrey style “Championship.”
NASCAR has become reality, entertainment television and not a legitimate sport. The racing is real (except for the fake yellow stages) but the championship has long lost its luster.

A full-points season championship would be very interesting with Stage racing now. The supposed "issue" with the full season points as they were was that you'd have good teams finish well in the standings without any kind of "underdog". Fast cars that were fast all season won. With stage points you'd have drivers still competing for wins/the championship but you'd also have some other teams duke it out for stage points and make strategy calls if they knew their car wasn't a race winner but still competitive. To me that'd be super cool. Like SHR this year...certainly down on speed but would they win enough stages and strategy to be in the mix come the final few races of a full-season championship? Maybe. We'll never know lol.

The classic 2004-2006 Chase would be the ONLY playoff format I could accept. I'd prefer a full season format, but if we can't go back to that, I'd be okay with the classic Chase coming back.

At least in that format, you couldn't run 25th every week, back into a win, and get to race for the championship. You had to prove you deserved to be racing for a championship by being one of the 10 best drivers over 26 races

Well the thing ALL sports must realize is they can not prosper catering ONLY to the most hardcore fans like us. The things we like and the things we will tolerate often turn off the less invested fans like so many that I know. Sometimes you get so close to something you fail to see how it looks the the rest of the world. Yesterday during their sports news, one of the biggest national morning radio shows was absolutely making fun of the concept of playoffs in auto racing, and these are people that being Indianapolis based are very supportive of auto racing in general.
When your championshup format gets clowned on in one of the biggest markets for motorsports in America, you know it sucks

A full-points season championship would be very interesting with Stage racing now. The supposed "issue" with the full season points as they were was that you'd have good teams finish well in the standings without any kind of "underdog". Fast cars that were fast all season won. With stage points you'd have drivers still competing for wins/the championship but you'd also have some other teams duke it out for stage points and make strategy calls if they knew their car wasn't a race winner but still competitive. To me that'd be super cool. Like SHR this year...certainly down on speed but would they win enough stages and strategy to be in the mix come the final few races of a full-season championship? Maybe. We'll never know lol.
Stage racing needs to go as well imo.

I'll go with 20 more years of blubbering no matter what the point system is or for that matter what tracks they race at.
thats the thing. I guarantee that if NASCAR sent a press release in January saying a Full Season points system was back in effect you'd have half the fan base bitching about THAT! I think we are too far removed from 2004 to ever go back to a full season points system, theres a whole generation of fans that dont even know what that is and are conditioned to what we have now. It is what it is at this point, I dont have the energy anymore to hate it, make fun of it yes with snark comments....yes I most certainly will. But not to sit and wish about Winston Cup Points systems or Chase For The Nextel Cup days gone by. It's not going to accomplish anything.

thats the thing. I guarantee that if NASCAR sent a press release in January saying a Full Season points system was back in effect you'd have half the fan base bitching about THAT! I think we are too far removed from 2004 to ever go back to a full season points system, theres a whole generation of fans that dont even know what that is and are conditioned to what we have now. It is what it is at this point, I dont have the energy anymore to hate it, make fun of it yes with snark comments....yes I most certainly will. But not to sit and wish about Winston Cup Points systems or Chase For The Nextel Cup days gone by. It's not going to accomplish anything.
I keep it simple. It's their cars, their tracks, and it's their business. Compared to almost every other racing series in the world they are thriving in comparison. Of course there are always those who think they know more, but I can't for the life of me find any racing series that is in their names lol.

Not saying I think it's the best but I'm actually ok with a 10 race playoff. The problem I have is with the "win and you're in". The problem I have is someone that backs into a win after being a 20th place car all season is in the playoffs and a someone that is consistently a top 10 car isn't in the running for the championship.

The best way I can apply this to any other sport is like yeah you beat that one team by 6 touchdowns in the second game of the season and have gone winless since, but that 6 touchdown game gets you into the playoffs.............

Not saying I think it's the best but I'm actually ok with a 10 race playoff. The problem I have is with the "win and you're in". The problem I have is someone that backs into a win after being a 20th place car all season is in the playoffs and a someone that is consistently a top 10 car isn't in the running for the championship.

The best way I can apply this to any other sport is like yeah you beat that one team by 6 touchdowns in the second game of the season and have gone winless since, but that 6 touchdown game gets you into the playoffs.............
it's not right, but it's what we've got. Seems like many of us dislike it to at least some degree, and some of us hate it altogether.

I'd happily settle for a 2004 Chase for the Cup again, even though I'd prefer the 2003 system in reality. I understand that there is a whole generation of Cup fans who never experienced a full season battle. But the 2004 style I could stomach, top 10 drivers, no matter how many wins, or if you went winless. Top 10 drivers make the Chase, and that's it. If you've been a top 10 driver through 26 races, I could get behind that. Not some wanker like Austin Dillon just winning on a luck based track and boom, he's in the playoffs.

The classic 2004-2006 Chase would be the ONLY playoff format I could accept. I'd prefer a full season format, but if we can't go back to that, I'd be okay with the classic Chase coming back.

At least in that format, you couldn't run 25th every week, back into a win, and get to race for the championship. You had to prove you deserved to be racing for a championship by being one of the 10 best drivers over 26 races
It never happened, but I believe under that format you’d also make the Chase if you were within 400 points of the leader even if you weren’t in the Top 10, which would be equivalent to like 100-130 points in today’s format.

I keep it simple. It's their cars, their tracks, and it's their business. Compared to almost every other racing series in the world they are thriving in comparison. Of course there are always those who think they know more, but I can't for the life of me find any racing series that is in their names lol.
Of course that conveniently ignores that NASCAR is a shell of what it was when all the new geniuses in Daytona Beach took over and thought they were smarter than everybody else.

Of course that conveniently ignores that NASCAR is a shell of what it was when all the new geniuses in Daytona Beach took over and thought they were smarter than everybody else.
If you knew anything, it would be different I suppose. As it is, it is old man yelling at cloud and living in the past

When did the new geniuses take over?
Well, it started when Brian "born on third base and thinks he hit a triple" France began to wield real influence. Honestly, I had very high hopes for the post-Brian brain trust, but they have been pretty disappointing too. They have gotten some things right, but they get far too many things wrong.

Stage racing is fine, the yellows at they end of the stage need to go.
Yea, the stage racing has actually grown on me, but I don't like the yellows that follow their conclusion. Keep the racing going and just award the points for the top 10 at the stage end.

TV though loves the stages because it gives them a guaranteed tv window during a caution which they prefer.

Yea, the stage racing has actually grown on me, but I don't like the yellows that follow their conclusion. Keep the racing going and just award the points for the top 10 at the stage end.

TV though loves the stages because it gives them a guaranteed tv window during a caution which they prefer.

Two, they go to commercial at the end of the stage, come back to pit and go to another commercial. Four guaranteed commercials a race.

Broadcasters currently pay NASCAR, the teams and the tracks $1 Billion per year for the privilege of interrupting races to run spots for their advertisers.

Starting 2025, expect them to be paying more than that.

I wonder if having a thread pinned in the forum, something like "Why Nascar races are able to be shown on TV by the networks". That will educate posters about the how and why TV networks are able to pay billions for the rights to show Nascar races.
I understand that some will never get it, but most will. I don't think anybody is excited about all of the commercials that are shown on TV, but we all should at least know the reality that the commercials are more important to the networks than any programming the networks show.

I actually like it "at" the track. It's a nice bathroom break without missing too much.

One thing NASCAR needs badly is an MLB.TV type of set up where you can stream without commercials and pick either scanner audio, TV, or MRN/PRN for the overlay. Then just build in ads on the screen and on the intervals ticker. Would be awesome and generate solid revenue for the sport

I actually like it "at" the track. It's a nice bathroom break without missing too much.

One thing NASCAR needs badly is an MLB.TV type of set up where you can stream without commercials and pick either scanner audio, TV, or MRN/PRN for the overlay. Then just build in ads on the screen and on the intervals ticker. Would be awesome and generate solid revenue for the sport
Doesn't sound like it is without commercials.

Back
Top Bottom