Tony Stewart running over someone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. My conclusion is that Tony Stewart was completely unaware that there was a driver on the racetrack and he just appeared in front of him. It was about 20 seconds after the crash. No one could have expected there to be a driver standing there...

And then, as someone here put it last night, they both zigged and zagged the same direction....

I certainly don't think Tony had any intention of hurting the kid, but It wouldn't surprise me that tony gunned it a little, just to intimidate him by throwing a little dirt towards him. ( It did definitely sound as though the engine revved at that time) Such a sad situation, my heart goes out to everyone involved. Such a dangerous sport already, and just increasing the danger 10 fold by walking out on the track, even if they are under caution.

I certainly don't think Tony had any intention of hurting the kid, but It wouldn't surprise me that tony gunned it a little, just to intimidate him by throwing a little dirt towards him. ( It did definitely sound as though the engine revved at that time) Such a sad situation, my heart goes out to everyone involved. Such a dangerous sport already, and just increasing the danger 10 fold by walking out on the track, even if they are under caution.

Or gunned it so the kid wouldn't jump on his car or throw a helmet or something.

Only person who knows what was going on in Stewart's mind is Stewart.

its not as if drivers getting out of their car and on track and/or even chasing drivers down in their vehicle (hasnt someone been guilty of that before?) is all that rare, NASCAR even glorifies these moments by filling in with these videos during rain delays

its not wise or smart, but its not new and im certain it happens at local tracks even that much more due to strained budgets, it costs to fix wrecks..as an owner, a racer and a man Tonys anger and emotions should have been put to the side and knowing there was a wreck period he should have been as low on the track as he could get

i hope he gets a lifetime owner ban atleast

I guess i'm late on this post but I'm glad that Tony decided to take the weekend off while this whole deal gets sorted out. I don't know what happened but i'm sure this kid didn't deserve it like alot of other people I've seen on other forums have been saying. I'm pretty sure also that Tony wouldn't have intentionally run the kid down with his car, I mean especially after what happened to him last year. I'll just hope for the best for Tony & this kids family...

its not as if drivers getting out of their car and on track and/or even chasing drivers down in their vehicle (hasnt someone been guilty of that before?) is all that rare, NASCAR even glorifies these moments by filling in with these videos during rain delays

its not wise or smart, but its not new and im certain it happens at local tracks even that much more due to strained budgets, it costs to fix wrecks..as an owner, a racer and a man Tonys anger and emotions should have been put to the side and knowing there was a wreck period he should have been as low on the track as he could get

i hope he gets a lifetime owner ban atleast
Where did you get any info that suggested he was angry? It couldn't have been from the video because it never showed Tony out of his car.

They both need acceleration to steer. You would know that if you didn't live in a god forsaken desert.

Lots of water and dirt in the local desert.

But yeah, the similarity is there. Riding a stand up jet ski feels a lot like riding a dirt bike IMO.

Press conference going on now by the sheriff on espnnews
Sheriff: "No evidence to support criminal charges or intent. This is ongoing. There are no foregone conclusions at this point."

Hmmm. Why won't they clear him completely?
They're still looking at more "evidence." The sheriff's office has asked spectators to send them any more videos of the incident.

MSNBC had some splendid reporting earlier. It's very common for drivers to get out of their car and confront other drivers who are going around the track at 150-200mph, like what happened at Canandaigua, and confront other drivers the way Kevin Ward did. Funny, I didn't know they ran 200 mph under caution nor did I know they got up to 200 mph at half-mile dirt tracks. Thanks, MSNBC, you learn something new every day. :confused:

Prayers going out to this young man's family. † Their life, as they know it, will never be or feel the same. Prayers for comfort and peace.
Prayers for all involved. †

MSNBC had some splendid reporting earlier. It's very common for drivers to get out of their car and confront other drivers who are going around the track at 150-200mph, like what happened at Canandaigua, and confront other drivers the way Kevin Ward did. Funny, I didn't know they ran 200 mph under caution nor did I know they got up to 200 mph at half-mile dirt tracks. Thanks, MSNBC, you learn something new every day. :confused:
If they were smart they should have gotten somebody from NBCSN to explain. Too much sense I guess.

Tony should have slowed down knowing that Ward was very near the other cars ahead of him and gunning for Stewart. Now I don't think he attended to hit him. Sad.

Tony should have slowed down knowing that Ward was very near the other cars ahead of him and gunning for Stewart. Now I don't think he attended to hit him. Sad.

We don't know that Stewart knew he was there. He could have seen him last second. Notice how the car in front of Smoke swerved a bit to miss Ward?

Screw Keith Olbermann and screw ESPN.

Twitter   KeithOlbermann  If @NASCAR wants to run anyway ....png

Twitter   KeithOlbermann  @bellzisu Screw you, and NASCAR..png

This is a sad case of 2 drivers doing the wrong thing at the wrong time and at the wrong place.
Nothing we can say will change what happened at the track last night.
We CAN damage the community we have here through our words.

I certainly won't consider it "damage to the community" if FOX, ESPN, TNT etc. stop doing pre-race promos showing drivers out of their cars, gesturing, confrontations, throwing helmets "have at it, boys" etc. It's almost as if the racing is not enough, that we have to give in to the Reality TV meme that unless contestants are fighting and hate trumps sportsmanship, you're not going to draw the maximum number of eyeballs. My gosh NASCAR historians always point to the Yarborough/Allison on-track fight as the moment NASCAR became a major TV event. Instead of being a lesson learned, dangerous behavior because of overheated tempers becomes a marketing tool.

As I said already, how many young drivers have seen TV glorifying this stupidity, extremely ridiculous/dangerous behavior and parroted it?

One of the rare good things that will come of this will be the new rule about leaving your vehicle and approaching another car regardless of your intentions. Too bad someone had to die for it to come about.

I know very little about Olbermann but he seems like a douche

Olbermann would qualify for the South Park "Biggest D-Bag of the Universe" award if it was a real thing. He did after all once have his own show on the "200 mph under caution" channel.

The thing is, D-Bags like Olbermann will be coming out of the woodwork and NASCAR and Team Stewart's early absolute tone-deafness and "business as usual" quote were like pouring gas on a dumpster already in flames.

Listening to the commentators saying "Tony chose not to drive today" after it appears he, his team and NASCAR were all forced to face reality is surreal.

I kind of like Keith; very...er...unique...style of commentating, both on politics and on sports. But sometimes he says some stupid things which is why he's been hired and fired like 44349 times in the past 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom