Truck RACE thread --- Iowa

Last year it rewarded a smaller team, I'm pretty sure the Yotaites have a case of butt hurt
Which “smaller team” would that be? If you’re referring to Logano I certainly wouldn’t consider Penske a small team, save for the fact they had 3 cars to SHR and JGR’s 4 (5 if you count Truex).

Yeah, that happened a few times. Bill Elliott had 11 in 1985, Rusty had 10 in ‘93 and 8 in ‘94, Gordon had 10 in ‘96, Newman had 8 in ‘03, none of them won the championship in those years.

Oh the days of consistency and points racing. DNF's would kill seasons.

Getting 10 and not taking the championship blew minds. Part of the fan pressure that brought on the Chase imo.

Pansy asses in racing today, go back to the leather helmets and lap belts.
2fa87432-2b4b-4a85-a9c3-21de6ae39db3-original.jpg

Oh the days of consistency and points racing. DNF's would kill seasons.

Getting 10 and not taking the championship blew minds. Part of the fan pressure that brought on the Chase imo.
Yeah, I think the 2003 season where Kenseth won the championship with 1 win while Newman finished 6th in points with 8 wins was the final nail in the pre-chase era.

So you think that drivers that gave their life doing what they love didn't help the sport become what it is today. Without those deaths NASCAR's fandom never grows to the masses it did.
Yup....

"I am not talking about fistfights between drivers on the track, but there is a reason the tracks themselves promote the conflict, it drives ticket sales. In the same way the networks promote the races, the attitude and emotion drove the sport to new heights. Dale Sr., Darrell Waltrip, Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, Geoffrey Bodine and Tim Richmond drew the camera to them with what they said and how they acted. Fans loved it, media reported on it and new eyes came to NASCAR.

NASCAR needs to bring back the excitement and emotions from their drivers, that is what the brings the base fans. Then they spread the word about how exciting it was. “Second Sucks” gets people to watch next week, “I am happy with a top 10” does not.

https://beyondtheflag.com/2016/01/17/nascars-attempt-attract-casual-fans-costing/

you know why we dont run cars like that anymore? We're smarter
They were run in the age of Einstein...yup, pretty dumb.

But on a lighter note...would love to see the expression of the driver of the #70, he has his head ****ed towards the old #22...can only imagine what he was thinking when the #22 passed him on the pit road on the way to the track.

The Iowa Truck thread has turned into a "Points System" Thread. Some men like to watch the world burn.

"It's a pretty common view outside the internet believe it or not." Prove this please.

It's not uncommon on the internet, unfortunately.

This clown is actually talking about IndyCar, which has gone nearly four years since its last on-track death and ten months (!) since a driver was last paralyzed. The popularity boosts from those incidents were huge. By too sanitized, he must mean that there are too many drivers in the field who have been racing too long without suffering the same fate.

This clown is actually talking about IndyCar, which has gone nearly four years since its last on-track death and ten months (!) since a driver was last paralyzed. The popularity boosts from those incidents were huge. By too sanitized, he must mean that there are too many drivers in the field who have been racing too long without suffering the same fate.

The danger part of racing never excited me, it made me think of what we could do to stop it.

The guy is making a point: "No one wanted to see anyone die, but pushing the envelope of death was invariably one of the draws"

The danger part of racing never excited me, it made me think of what we could do to stop it.
Thank you for at least admitting it and that it is singularly your contention. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, even you.

The guy is making a point: "No one wanted to see anyone die, but pushing the envelope of death was invariably one of the draws"

But would we ever want it to be that way again? My answer is no. While Gil De Ferran going 240mph around Fontana was exciting and scared the crap out of me, I don't want to see anyone die over my viewing preferences.

Thank you for at least admitting it and that it is singularly your contention. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, even you.
Thank you for admitting you get your jollys from seeing people on fire and dying. One of my responsibilities was installing the seat in the race car and securing the belts, everytime that car was in a wreck my driver walked away because I put 100% effort into making sure it was as secure as possible. You are a dinosaur in your thought process and thankfully nobody in the business thinks like you do.

He is a making a delusional claim that nobody wants to see anyone die, but instead watch people cheat imaginary death. He is observing this about a version of racing that still kills people, and is opining from his arm chair that it doesn't almost pretend kill enough for his taste.

Personally it is one of the draws for me to continue to like Nascar racing the best. The safer it is, the more contact can be made without serious injury. Yeah it hurts like hell when a driver does a door slap against a wall but they don't die like a driver did at Riverside years ago when his head hit the bank. You bet there are some risky moves involved with contact, and part of the whining the drivers are making is that they don't like the risks involved with the new racing packages that push close contact racing. I for one like to see it, but no I don't want to see blood n guts. Nascar is doing the best job there is with safety IMO and hard racing.

Thank God for the safety innovations made as time has passed I literally feel sick when I see a more than your average incident that a (dad,husband,son etc.)...risked his life for his passion and I've never had the desire to see anyone get hurt or worse.

Is there an explanation for those who look at a reality like "auto racing is less popular than it once was" and the first reason they think of is that it doesn't feel as deadly and is "too safe" and other code words like "sanitized" beyond pure sociopathy?

The deaths and life-altering injuries were a bug to be eliminated, not a feature.

Is there an explanation for those who look at a reality like "auto racing is less popular than it once was" and the first reason they think of is that it doesn't feel as deadly and is "too safe" and other code words like "sanitized" beyond pure sociopathy?

The deaths and life-altering injuries were a bug to be eliminated, not a feature.

eh, I am not surprised at some of the comments. One does need to remember those individuals are out there. The media is full of it and hollywood and the video games makes a profit off of it.

BTW there is still plenty of risk out there. If you think they're bulletproof out there because of the safety advances, they're not. Is it reduced? YEAH, and I'm glad that it is.

Just ask some of this stuff to Almirola (fractured spine and has to be cut out of the car Kansas), Hamlin (fractured spine Fontana), Kyle Busch (broken leg Daytona), or Bubba turn 1 Pocono last year. Ask Junior about risk of concussions and taking too many hits.

BTW there is still plenty of risk out there. If you think they're bulletproof out there because of the safety advances, they're not. Is it reduced? YEAH, and I'm glad that it is.

Just ask some of this stuff to Almirola (fractured spine and has to be cut out of the car Kansas), Hamlin (fractured spine Fontana), Kyle Busch (broken leg Daytona), or Bubba turn 1 Pocono last year. Ask Junior about risk of concussions and taking too many hits.

Exactly! Still plenty of risk, it's a shame that people think that injury or death would create POSITIVE interest in the sport.

Exactly! Still plenty of risk, it's a shame that people think that injury or death would create POSITIVE interest in the sport.

some will swear and be dammed they don't want that, but believe it or not they are out there. All one has to do is look at the death of Sr and the huge hole he left in the sport with his passing. Then and now. I guarantee he would be right in the middle of it if he was still with us.

I for one like to see it, but no I don't want to see blood n guts.
Totally agree with this statement...but it relates to this one too: "nobody wants to see anyone die, but instead watch people cheat imaginary death"

Sometimes the perception is greater than the reality...it gets the adrenalin going, it is why millions of people tuned in to watch someone try to jump the Snake River on a motorcycle.

Thank you for admitting you get your jollys from seeing people on fire and dying.

I don't...so please not making unfounded statements. Never specifically stated anywhere that I get off on "seeing people on fire and dying". Have seen this too often in my real life to want to see it within a confined venue...it is the perception of danger that tantalizes adding to the quest to succeed through competition....only one winner, everyone else is a loser...take no prisoners, no quarter...let the best tank win driven by the person with the most guts.

Totally agree with this statement...but it relates to this one too: "nobody wants to see anyone die, but instead watch people cheat imaginary death"

Sometimes the perception is greater than the reality...it gets the adrenalin going, it is why millions of people tuned in to watch someone try to jump the Snake River on a motorcycle.
you took my quote completely out of context. Don't do that.

you took my quote completely out of context
I did? In what way?

Do not be presumptuous and claim to understand what my thoughts are. You said that you like to see the hard contact racing, I agreed with you, and you said that "but no, I don't want to see the blood n guts" and I agreed with this statement. So how is that out of context?

The other statement in my post related to someone else's post...but it relates to this one too: "nobody wants to see anyone die, but instead watch people cheat imaginary death". It is related to your statement in the context of perception of danger that is conducive with hard contact competition.

Sauter suspended for 1 race
NASCAR has released the post-race penalties from Iowa Speedway:

#13-Johnny Sauter has been suspended from NASCAR until the completion of the next NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series Championship Points Event [this weekend at Gateway]. He remains eligible to compete for the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series Championship.

The violation was for: Sections 12.1.a; 12.2.b Emergency Action; 12.8.a,c,i NASCAR Member Conduct; 12.8.1.c Member Conduct Guidelines
Note: Correct and proper conduct, both on and off the race track, is part of a Member’s responsibilities.

In addition, #88-Matt Crafton received a lug nut penalty. His crew chief Carl Joiner has been fined $2,500.

Furthermore, Clifford Turner has been suspended indefinitely by NASCAR for violation of the Substance Abuse Policy.

— NASCAR —

I don't disagree with the Sauter suspension, but I don't agree with Austin Hill not receiving any penalties either.

NASCAR has set the precedent that it's okay to intentionally wreck drivers, but it's not okay to retaliate when you are wrecked on purpose.

I wish they would either go back to parking drivers for intentionally wrecking other drivers, or go back to not doing anything over these type of shenanigans. The selective enforcement drives me nuts. If NASCAR is going to police this stuff, they should do something about some of the downright dirty driving we've seen in the past five years or so.

Way too many of these kids learned to race by watching Days of Thunder, worshipping Dale Earnhardt, and playing videogames. They've been taught that wrecking people is perfectly acceptable, and most of them don't even work on their own cars so it doesn't matter to them. They learn to race by driving through the cars in front of them. And then, when they wreck someone who won't take their ****, said driver gets suspended for doing something about it.

Austin Hill now knows it's perfectly acceptable for him to go wreck Johnny Sauter in a few races.

#13-Johnny Sauter has been suspended from NASCAR until the completion of the next NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series Championship Points Event [this weekend at Gateway]. He remains eligible to compete for the NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series Championship.

Wait, what? So now you can still make the playoff if you miss a race due to a suspension. But a driver can't just miss a race by choice if they've clinched a spot?

Good grief.

Not too bad. He gets a suspension, still in the chase via his win @ Dover, everybody wins.

Roll the tape, moving on

NASCAR should have made a statement. Instead, they issued a toothless suspension to Sauter and essentially condoned Austin Hill's behavior.

I know fans tune in for the wrecking, but I'd like to see people attempt to race clean. I'm getting tired of seeing this type of driving. Doesn't take talent to drive through people.

NASCAR should have made a statement. Instead, they issued a toothless suspension to Sauter and essentially condoned Austin Hill's behavior.

I know fans tune in for the wrecking, but I'd like to see people attempt to race clean. I'm getting tired of seeing this type of driving. Doesn't take talent to drive through people.
Hill was reacting to Sauter trying to dump him in 1, if that didnt happen Sauter wouldnt have gotten dumped.

Hill was reacting to Sauter trying to dump him in 1, if that didnt happen Sauter wouldnt have gotten dumped.

Haven't those two had run ins in recent races? I saw someone allude to Hill wrecking Sauter a couple races ago, but don't know what it's about.

There's way too much of this going on in racing. I, as a racing fan, like to see good racing. People just driving through each other isn't good racing. Kind of pisses me off when I go to a race, watch a thrilling race for 149 laps and then, on the last lap, it comes down to the second place car driving straight into the corner, taking the lead car clean out, and talking about "he would have done the same to me" or "I did what I had to do to win."

And like I said, Sauter should be suspended. I think Hill should have received some penalty too. But it doesn't matter since Sauter's suspension is toothless.

Back
Top Bottom