Watkins Glen - Go Bowling at The Glen 8/8

That was such a great color. Truly candy apple red.
That just may be my favorite scheme that Jeff ever sported, possible tie with one of the Axalta flame ones.
The 2015 Axalta Radiant Red is probably a top 10 JG scheme for me. Really popped, wish he had run it at a night race
1627298394642.jpeg

I hear you, and if you operationally define what a good track for a driver is as average finish, you are correct. However, those numbers can get skewed with an uncharacteristic finish...Am I right? I think that there is also the conversation about the significance of the difference between top 5s and 10s....those numbers are pretty close. Laps led can even get goofy with the stage racing we have now. No question that mathematical results cannot be argued, but the interpretation of those results is always open to discussion....unless, once again, a specific operational definition is chosen as the metric for evaluation.
Of course the stats can be skewed by a bad race, however that effect is less significant as a driver gets more starts there. Truex has been around a long time. Just my opinion but if you had to ask me purely by an eyeball test watching him race with no knowledge of his stats I would say Watkins Glen. But it's all subjective.

I want to see it be the 9,5 or 5,9 show myself. Those two I believe with a bit of time in the car they are driving, could whip ass on a road course anywhere.
With our without the Bondo and with which engine? I will say that the 9 was impressive in 2018--the last time with the low downforce package...but that was with Camaro 1.0. Will be interesting to see how he runs with 2.1 (No Bondo/Legal engine)....Would have been lights out with 2.0 (Bondo-ed/Illegal engine). I just hope they remember to put an engine in it at all. Those Less than Magnificent Bastards over at Hendrick try hard, but you you know, they struggle from time to time. Crack that back baby!

With our without the Bondo and with which engine? I will say that the 9 was impressive in 2018--the last time with the low downforce package...but that was with Camaro 1.0. Will be interesting to see how he runs with 2.1 (No Bondo/Legal engine)....Would have been lights out with 2.0 (Bondo-ed/Illegal engine). I just hope they remember to put an engine in it at all. Those Less than Magnificent Bastards over at Hendrick try hard, but you you know, they struggle from time to time. Crack that back baby!
Is anyone else tired of Revman's schtick again and again and again or is it just me?

Don't know about the attitude, boss, but for some, wins are everything. More wins, top 5s and 10s are awfully close. Your average finish can get really goofy on a road course. Know what I mean?
Dont listen to him. Truex is clearly good anywhere but his stats are skewed because of the DNFs at Sonoma, his best Road course "technical" or not.

NASCAR reinstates indoor mask policy​

Beginning with this weekend’s event at Watkins Glen, NASCAR will require that all personnel wear a face mask in enclosed areas at all times, regardless of vaccination status. Enclosed areas include haulers as well as buildings including the media center, restrooms, the infield care center, race control and suites.
  • This update to the Event Operations Protocol is being implemented on the advice of NASCAR’s consulting physicians and recently issued medical guidance.
  • Masks are not required when outdoors at NASCAR events, provided individuals refrain from sustained close contact.

From Jayski:
Notes –Cup, Xfinity return to Watkins Glen on 2019 tire code; Trucks to run the same: Teams all three NASCAR national series will run the same Goodyear tire code on all four tire positions at Watkins Glen . . . this is the same tire that Cup and Xfinity teams ran at The Glen in their last race at the course in 2019 . . . this is the only track at which NASCAR teams run this particular tire code . . . as on all NASCAR road courses, teams will not run inner liners in their tires at Watkins Glen.

Goodyear is bringing wets for everybody also

From Jayski:
Notes –Cup, Xfinity return to Watkins Glen on 2019 tire code; Trucks to run the same: Teams all three NASCAR national series will run the same Goodyear tire code on all four tire positions at Watkins Glen . . . this is the same tire that Cup and Xfinity teams ran at The Glen in their last race at the course in 2019 . . . this is the only track at which NASCAR teams run this particular tire code . . . as on all NASCAR road courses, teams will not run inner liners in their tires at Watkins Glen.

Goodyear is bringing wets for everybody also
Only possible scattered storms predicted for the area this weekend, otherwise known as normal summer weather. No COTA repeats I think.

Beginning with this weekend’s event at Watkins Glen, NASCAR will require that all personnel wear a face mask in enclosed areas at all times, regardless of vaccination status. Enclosed areas include haulers as well as buildings including the media center, restrooms, the infield care center, race control and suites.
  • This update to the Event Operations Protocol is being implemented on the advice of NASCAR’s consulting physicians and recently issued medical guidance.
  • Masks are not required when outdoors at NASCAR events, provided individuals refrain from sustained close contact.
There are some enlightened people running the show.

Fascinating to me that we live in a world where certain drivers get yippie about the vaccine, but NASCAR can mandate a mask? Let's quit dicking around, and finish this ****** virus off. 90% of the NFL is vaccinated, but certain drivers feel that it's a personal choice. What am I missing?

Last edited:

So the legend of Davy Jones makes his return.

1628075148081.jpeg

Fascinating to me that we live in a world where certain drivers get yippie about the vaccine, but NASCAR can mandate a mask? Let's quit dicking around, and finish this ****** virus off. 90% of the NFL is vaccinated, but certain drivers feel that it's a personal choice. What am I missing?
Probably because you put a mask on and take it off, the other you inject into your body and its there till its not.

Likely because it is a personal choice

You're missing the ability to separate decisions made by individuals (drivers' choices regarding vaccines) vs decisions made by organizations (NASCAR's regarding masks). One has nothing to do with the other. Note that for the purposes of this discussion, I'm not saying either decision is right or wrong, and I say that as someone who is as pro-vax as I can be.

You're also missing the NFL's participants are breathing on each other at close range all day, vs. NASCAR's competitors easily staying more than 6 feet apart except maybe when buckling in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom