Watkins Glen - Go Bowling at The Glen 8/8

Super excited for this race. I reviewed the 2018 race. I used to think that nobody could touch KFB through the Bus Stop, but Chase destroyed Kyle there--entry, middle, and exit. He was also much better through the Carousel. KB was better in 1 (the weakest part of the course for Chase), and the S's. Fabulous battle until a fueling problem for the 18. It's going to be great. Thinking that we will see these two up front again. Come on Sunday!
Why no 2019 or 2020?

Meanwhile the bonehead politicians in Oklahoma City are busily trying to pass a law that will outlaw businesses being able to require workers to be vaccinated or shops to require customers to wear a mask. I think Oklahoma is in a contest to kill more Republicans than Florida or Texas.

scrooge x.jpeg

I think this might be my favorite thread of the 2 week NASCAR vacation. A little something for everyone going on here.

Why no 2019 or 2020?
No race in '20, and the rules package for '19 was the high downforce. '18 is the package we are running this weekend. The low downforce was MTJ's undoing at Sonoma this year IMO. He was not as strong through the Carousel as he was in '19 with the higher downforce....so it certainly matters. Should be fun.

How about some stats to get this thread back on track?

In 2011 and 2012, the #9 of Marcos Ambrose won back-to-back races at Watkins Glen. The same driver finished 2nd both times (Brad Keselowski), and Kyle Busch finished 3rd in the first of these two races. Kyle Busch went on to win in 2013, ending Ambrose's two-race streak at The Glen.

In 2018 and 2019, the #9 of Chase Elliott won back-to-back races at Watkins Glen. The same driver finished 2nd both times (Martin Truex Jr.), and Kyle Busch finished 3rd in the first of these two races. Will Kyle Busch repeat history and end Chase Elliott's two-race streak at The Glen?

Or, for a different set of stats...

8 of the last 10 races at Watkins Glen have been won by the driver starting either 3rd, 5th, or 6th. Blaney, Harvick, and Hamlin start in those positions this weekend--and Harvick and Hamlin are both still looking for their first win of the season.

How about some stats to get this thread back on track?

In 2011 and 2012, the #9 of Marcos Ambrose won back-to-back races at Watkins Glen. The same driver finished 2nd both times (Brad Keselowski), and Kyle Busch finished 3rd in the first of these two races. Kyle Busch went on to win in 2013, ending Ambrose's two-race streak at The Glen.

In 2018 and 2019, the #9 of Chase Elliott won back-to-back races at Watkins Glen. The same driver finished 2nd both times (Martin Truex Jr.), and Kyle Busch finished 3rd in the first of these two races. Will Kyle Busch repeat history and end Chase Elliott's two-race streak at The Glen?

Or, for a different set of stats...

8 of the last 10 races at Watkins Glen have been won by the driver starting either 3rd, 5th, or 6th. Blaney, Harvick, and Hamlin start in those positions this weekend--and Harvick and Hamlin are both still looking for their first win of the season.
1628190794530.png

"We looked it up so you dont have to. The Countdown has hit zero...... Green Flag Racing Next On TNT....we know DRAMA!"

No race in '20, and the rules package for '19 was the high downforce. '18 is the package we are running this weekend. The low downforce was MTJ's undoing at Sonoma this year IMO. He was not as strong through the Carousel as he was in '19 with the higher downforce....so it certainly matters. Should be fun.
I think Chase Elliott was everyone’s undoing in the entire track.

I can't rule out Kyle Larson. His record on road courses would be even better if he wasn't taken out by Bowman and Larson can run with Elliott. With a first at Sonoma where he flat blew the field away, and a second at C.O.T.A. Larson isn't a fluke. C. Bell is another with a win at Daytona and a second at Elkhart Lake. I think it is going to be an epic race, there are easily 6 or 7 who could win it. The trucks by far are going to have the largest challenge. They haven't been at W.G. since 2001 and with no practice or qualifying and unless you are hooked up with an OEM no simulation. Probably half the field or more haven't raced the track in the trucks. Probably going to be a whole lot of wrecking.

Can't rule this out as one of the better finishes at W.G.

bull****. Oil race. KFB screamed about it for at least a lap....Hello New Hamphsire....Didn't see you sitting there.

I think Chase Elliott was everyone’s undoing in the entire track.
Eh, I think he sets up for the Bus Stop and the Carousel--which is a good idea IMO, but sacrifices 1 through the S's...

bull****. Kyle had to brake like a grandmother to keep from losing it. Kez earned nothing. BS.
Kyle's rear quarter hitting Kez's left front isn't clear in anybodies world. So the last couple of laps and Kez is supposed to let poor ol pork chop cut him off yota boi?

Kyle's rear quarter hitting Kez's left front isn't clear in anybodies world. So the last couple of laps and Kez is supposed to let poor ol pork chop cut him off yota boi?
He doesn't even get to his quarter if KB didn't have to tiptoe through that mess. Should have been a flag with less than one to go, and KB wins. Complete BS. The astute hater would also mention that that bull**** cost KB a place in the Chase that year. You disappoint me. Do I have to do everything?

He doesn't even get to his quarter if KB didn't have to tiptoe through that mess. Should have been a flag with less than one to go, and KB wins. Complete BS. The astute hater would also mention that that bull**** cost KB a place in the Chase that year. You disappoint me. Do I have to do everything?
Doesn't work to try to block the bottom when he wasn't clear. He paid the price. Of course the finish in the clip was about Ambrose and Keselowski knocking each other around going to the win for 2 laps swapping the lead, but as usual a certain somebody always makes it all about ol KDB.

Doesn't work to try to block the bottom when he wasn't clear. He paid the price. Of course the finish in the clip was about Ambrose and Keselowski knocking each other around going to the win for 2 laps swapping the lead, but as usual a certain somebody always makes it all about ol KDB.
You aren't paying attention. The block would not have been necessary if the track wasn't oiled down. Kyle got screwed hard on that one. Just trying to create a little context to your romantic story of a wonderful finish. I was paying attention to the whole race.

You aren't paying attention. The block would not have been necessary if the track wasn't oiled down. Kyle got screwed hard on that one. Just trying to create a little context to your romantic story of a wonderful finish. I was paying attention to the whole race.
sure as hell better than your poor Kyle story. Damn good race to the finish.

bull****. Kyle had to brake like a grandmother to keep from losing it. Kez earned nothing. BS.
It's always amazing how the JGR drivers are the ones to hit whatever mysterious moisture there is, yet the ones behind them somehow miss it. (WG as you're posting, New Hampshire)

How did the 2 and 9, IN THE 18's TIRE TRACKS, not have to do the same? Were their tires impervious to oil?

It's always amazing how the JGR drivers are the ones to hit whatever mysterious moisture there is, yet the ones behind them somehow miss it. (WG as you're posting, New Hampshire)
That's because they are always in the front and the first to get there.

How did the 2 and 9, IN THE 18's TIRE TRACKS, not have to do the same? Were their tires impervious to oil?
Ya think they saw Kyle slip? Why the hell do you think the field didn't wipe out at New Hampshire? Those drivers with the notable exceptions who run their mouths about personal choices and vaccines are pretty smart.

That was a classic. From Kyle playing a game of "F around and find out" trying to block to Ambrose and Kes slamming each other. Great one.
Folktale.

Watkins Glen is my favorite road course on the schedule. After not getting a race there last year, I'm looking forward to this one.
I think it is the perfect road course for this gen of stock car. Perfect. Really looking forward to this!

Ya think they saw Kyle slip? Why the hell do you think the field didn't wipe out at New Hampshire? Those drivers with the notable exceptions who run their mouths about personal choices and vaccines are pretty smart.
Got your wires all kindsa crossed up dontcha lmao

I thought it was pretty epic when Ambrose running behind Brad threw it into the corner in a perfect 4 wheel drift, got the run on Kez for the bump and run and held him off for the win. That has to be the highlight in Ambrose's career in Cup and probably one of the highlights of his whole driving career.

Yes. They were able to brake and alter their lines in the .2 seconds between Kyle slipping and them getting there. This troll job is beneath you. You normally put out exceptional quality. :cheers:

Yes. They were able to brake and alter their lines in the .2 seconds between Kyle slipping and them getting there. This troll job is beneath you. You normally put out exceptional quality. :cheers:
Yeah, whatever....Put the race in proper perspective. WTF did everybody do at New Hampshire after KB and MTJ slid? KB had that race by 1.5 seconds until NASCAR did the anti-PJ1 program, and let them slide everywhere. Kez has a Twitter analysis of the finish--understanding that the track was completely oiled is part of the narrative....but ya know, your expert eye probably knows better. Spare me the troll accusation. I have better things to do with my time.

I thought it was pretty epic when Ambrose running behind Brad threw it into the corner in a perfect 4 wheel drift, got the run on Kez for the bump and run and held him off for the win. That has to be the highlight in Ambrose's career in Cup and probably one of the highlights of his whole driving career.
A shining example of the NASCAR narrative that attention spans have been shortened. What happened with the rest of the race? Nevermind. You got your finish. I say we oil the track down in the last 5 every week. Could be fun!

Back
Top Bottom