What Do you Think of the New Package?

22 car :booya:
D8vjA-dW4AApBRv.png:large

It didn't work great at Michigan either, advanced stats are not going to help this time.

Eye test saw a train of cars the majority of the time, guys getting a good run and running out of steam. The majority of the quality passes occurred during the restart. They need more power at the tracks over 1.5 miles. Its just not the answer yet, all of that action occurs within a 10 lap window and calms down completely.

Hell I think Kurt had something, but just did not have enough of a run to go by. Oh well, the aero package did okay today at best. Like a C well today.

I’ve yet to hear a valid explanation as to what was wrong with the 2018 season that warranted this aero debacle and anemic engine package.

Like all packages, some work better on certain tracks, but it appears that they are going backwards at times. I asked the ones with knowledge what the goal was " competitive racing " was the answer. I thought we had that after they took the spoiler away from bully Harv :idunno:

I understand the anger from purists on here but TV ratings have stopped falling and at times gone higher than last year. While it needs some tuning we are not losing casual fans en masse.

Majority of people do not care about downforce and tire pressure. They see cars within a second of each other all day making contact and they’re excited again.

I personally would like some subtle improvements but overall am happy with the product. Cars need to be a little sturdier however

I can only hope NASCAR is finally willing to listen to the fans.
I don’t think this (Michigan, today) is what the majority of fans prefer.
Sure, we’re going to tune in because it’s stock car racing but the season so far, IMO, has been mediocre at best. Bring back 2018.

I understand the anger from purists on here but TV ratings have stopped falling and at times gone higher than last year. While it needs some tuning we are not losing casual fans en masse.

Majority of people do not care about downforce and tire pressure. They see cars within a second of each other all day making contact and they’re excited again.

I personally would like some subtle improvements but overall am happy with the product. Cars need to be a little sturdier however

Good point, I would like to see them get sturdier also.

I can only hope NASCAR is finally willing to listen to the fans.
I don’t think this (Michigan, today) is what the majority of fans prefer.
Sure, we’re going to tune in because it’s stock car racing but the season so far, IMO, has been mediocre at best. Bring back 2018.

Ok but the ratings have actually gone up so the fans are saying they like this more...

I thought the low downforce package was awesome and pure but it drove fans away in bunches unfortunately

Ok but the ratings have actually gone up so the fans are saying they like this more...

I thought the low downforce package was awesome and pure but it drove fans away in bunches unfortunately
The drivers don’t like it. How long is that going to last?
It drove away the casual fans. The veteran fans are still here.
They’re still removing seats at racetracks. Nobody is adding seating.
Pocono was down 11%
https://www.jayski.com/nascar-tv-ratings/

I was never a fan of turning every racing thread into a TV ratings discussion. I remember when that used to happen. There are more plausible reasons for why ratings continued to plunge for years and aren't this year, such as the rash of star driver retirements from 2014-2017, including the biggest draw of this century two years ago. Hint, there were none between last year and this year.

I'm glad the decline has stopped, as I would have been if it had happened last year. However, I'm not sure a fading 2% increase is the justification some think it is, or that that any enthusiasm for this style of racing will last.

:XXROFL:

Busch, however, couldn’t catch Logano on the final lap.

“I had a blast,” Busch said. “Tightest I ever put my belts at the end of a race. We got enough stage points today, we said ‘Hell with it, we don’t need to get anything but the win.’ We got second today.”

It's nice of NASCAR to run cars where they carry so much speed through the turns they can just bring the crap F1 Pirellis down from Canada and recycle those. What part of higher cornering speeds was supposed to make tires matter more?

It's a contest in not getting broken down by the package. Can you survive?

We all know that what the racing looks like now will change even if there are no changes to the rules. Give the engineers time, and let's see what happens. In sincerity, I think Michigan was the picture of what NASCAR was looking for with the changes this year. Things will not stay the same. This is fluid.

Yeah Logano needed to be 10 seconds ahead and 6 cars on the lead lap, that's by gawd REAL racin :p

It was like IROC or and IRL race all over again, its down to the lack of power they have. Seen so many guys with runs and couldn't pull the passes off. Its irritating because it was essentially like watching Dega or Daytona I some cases. All the cars in a single file on the top lane, but they are all within the reaches of the TV camera. They can all fit within the camera shot, mission accomplished for sure.

I'm no hater, I've been optimistic more than others. I'm just calling a spade, a spade. The race was whelming, I thought Denny, after Pocono, brought up a great point about Michigan being one of the better races this season. Wide track with multiple grooves, but with 550 up and WOT throughout the track. What more is someone to do? I guess they should just let Yates make all the engines.

Pocono, Michigan as I said before were two duds so far. Onto Sonoma, lets not **** up the road coruses, too.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's quite interesting how they have a momentum based package and it's impossible to get any sort of run or momentum to get to the quarter panel at the end. At least it makes for a nice story at the end & TV can brag about how close of a finish it is with this artificial racing.

Yeah Logano needed to be 10 seconds ahead and 6 cars on the lead lap, that's by gawd REAL racin :p

Who is saying this?

"Real racing" isn't defined by margin of victory or the amount of cars on the lead lap. If you could manage to get that out of your head, maybe you'll understand why a lot of folks don't like the current package.

One common comment from the drivers that stood out for me was that they were unable to run directly behind another car through the corner.
That’s not racing.

Who is saying this?

"Real racing" isn't defined by margin of victory or the amount of cars on the lead lap. If you could manage to get that out of your head, maybe you'll understand why a lot of folks don't like the current package.

I understand this: It doesn't matter what Nascar does or don't do, are you getting that?

Still garbage. Go figure. IndyCar lite with fenders and 75mph slower.
Which is exactly what they were aiming for anyways.

**** the fans. Only care about catering to manufacturer and sponsor $$$.

For some reason they believe Honda needs cars at 500HP so they can enter the sport, yet Honda specs out 700HP and 1,000HP engines for Indy and F1.

Yeah, it's quite interesting how they have a momentum based package and it's impossible to get any sort of run or momentum to get to the quarter panel at the end.
Brad K commented on this after the Michigan race. He said the lead car gets faster as you close up behind him, which prevents you from completing a slingshot pass. And that didn't happen 20-30 years ago. I guess he's saying the air coming over the leader's roof doesn't hit his spoiler with full force when another car pulls up close behind him... so he has less drag and is harder to pass.

Michigan being a recent repave, I can't understand why they didn't work the track and open up more lanes if they couldn't use the better splitter they used at the All Star. SMI has done a great job of working their tracks, but Nascar put the traction compound down in the preferred groove at Michigan. o_O

Most seem to be saying the aero and horseporse package are an issue for this track, then we get the final opinion, IT'S THE TRACK PREP!!!!!

:XXROFL::XXROFL:
all up in his head. I thought the Michigan race could have been better than it was, much better than the parade of last year. And if Nascar was going to all of the effort to put traction compound down and they did, they should have worked in the high groove instead of the preferred groove. I don't expect many round here to observe that. They were too busy figuring out slick things to say on the race thread and compared to all of the downer statements that were said before there ever was race before the season started, I must say the haters have been real creative and they blow which ever way the wind blows.. :D It's been fun.

Everyone gets what you're saying. The humor comes from the fact that you are defending the current rules package tooth-and-nail, and it is the lack of track bite on the track that irks you.

Back
Top Bottom