What Do you Think of the New Package?

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Speedbowl14, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

lol. No aero? What size track?

2. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

were they running 180? :p

3. kyle18fan

kyle18fan Proud member of Rowdy Nation Contributor

Yeah, no aero, no windshield, open wheels and a little track that produced blinding speeds of about 50 mph. Lots of paint traded, some bicycling after cars collided, but the racing was white knuckle competitive. I watched Dale Earnhardt race for years, no gimmicks and nobody really cared about the package. Something has been lost over the years. Several years back, I watched the 18 car follow Danica for 30 laps at PIR, aero push so bad he like to never got around her. the tinkering continues. Moto-Gp races typically draw 100 thousand or more, often the fans sit in the rain, they watch competitive edge of your seat racing with no gimmicks ... its out there.

4. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

go find it then. I'm seeing decent racing, and could care less about moto whatever.

5. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I think the racing in F1 is terrible. I don't follow MotoGP. IndyCar has had improved racing. I don't feel much of a difference in NASCAR in quite some time in a good and bad way.

6. Ventisca

Ventisca Team Owner

But here you sit tapping out tales of displeasure -- suffering thru NASCAR for your luv of KyBu... :D

7. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Expectations/results compared to 2018
    Daytona - N/A
    Atlanta - Usual
    Las Vegas - Solid race, but Vegas has had good races with old packages
    Phoenix - Boring race to me, Phoenix used to be better, I feel sorta biased because I didn't sit and watch the whole thing
    Auto Club - Awful race
    Martinsville - Decent, I've seen better
    Texas - Good racing, above average to the usual by far
    Bristol - Decent, I've seen better, I miss pre-2007 Bristol myself
    Richmond - OKish, Richmond is hit and miss, wish they would use the sealer again
    Talladega - Great race with the new SS package
    Dover - Average, I thought the package hurt the race, but Dover gets strung out
    Kansas - Great race
    All-Star - Good reviews this year, I thought there was good reviews in 2018. About the same
    Coke 600 - Good reviews compared to previous races
    Pocono - Awful race

So far we got I'd say 3 races that were vastly improved (IMO) because of the package: Texas, Kansas, Coke 600 (didn't count Dega). I feel like Pocono & Fontana were extra awful, with the short tracks and flat tracks not exactly getting any improvement, if anything they brought more aero push to those races.

I am unsure how Michigan will be. It seems like the tracks that are on fairly fresh pavement seem to do well with these cars, which is contrary to the old pavement/falloff that sister track Auto Club has, but Pocono is a similar horsepower track that was repaved the same year and it sucked.

Ventisca and gnomesayin like this.
  8. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Works for bicycle racing.

BobbyFord likes this.
  9. Revman

Revman God bless @Johali

Can anybody envision a day when all members come to this board and agree that a given race was awesome? No. It will never happen. I truly believe that NASCAR needs to keep this package as it is, and let time pass. What I believe will happen is that fans will get back to where they should be--appreciative of the great races while understanding that what makes a great race is the fact that it is rare. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be great, would it? There isn't a sport I am aware of that has the expectations that this sport has. Maybe on those days when we have a stinker, we simply sit back and enjoy sh!t flying around a track at stupid speeds? IMO, that should be enough. It is for me, and I am one happy son of a bitch. I never miss a race, go to as many as I can during the year, and simply cannot breathe during Homestead.

Truex_rox, StandOnIt and AuzGrams like this.
  10. Revman

Revman God bless @Johali

I think it was "What wouldn't Rodney do?" Pretty much nothing inclusive of manufacturing counterfeit parts as I recall.

kyle18fan likes this.
  11. Madman88

Madman88 Crew Chief

12. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Oh.

That's good.

LewTheShoe and gnomesayin like this.
  13. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

The lack of power hurts primarily, if a bit higher, I think it wouldn't be as much of an issue IMO. I'm just not sure if 550 is enough to really keep and maintain momentum like the drivers want.

Racing wise, the package has been as advertised. Its been pretty good on certain tracks, but once again lacking power at somewhere like Pocono really reared its head. Pocono is not the greatest, but I think the high-downforce did the race a bit of disservice last week. Give these guys the ability to have some off-throttle time, I think the racing will be even better. Its not simple, its never simple. Yet, I give credit to NASCAR for trying to find a good formula with what they have atm.

Generation 6 cars have overstayed their welcome. Gen 7 can't come fast enough at this point. I'm excited about the rest of this season though, especially tracks going into second visits. My excitement never really falters.

machinistman3 likes this.
  14. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

eh, most of em except a couple will be mostly silent after the Michigan race happens. But perched on a limb and ready for the next dog to come along, probably New Hampshire in July.

15. Kiante

Kiante Team Owner

I personally like New Hampshire, its a driver oriented track. Its just due to it being so flat and being a one lane track. Its fun to watch the drivers there though.

16. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

They have gone a long ways in helping the 1.5's and larger tracks this year. But it's the car owners that aren't allowing changes on the fly. It is what it is.

17. Madman88

Madman88 Crew Chief

As usual, i disagree, They have neutered the cars per some of the drivers. Let's make sure all the cars are in the TV frame though cause THAT's great racin though

FLRacingFan and kyle18fan like this.
  18. kyle18fan

Can't we just stack em up, one on top of the other ?

19. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

1995 Pontiac Excitement specs

upload_2019-6-7_16-17-44.png
    Richmond last year

upload_2019-6-7_16-18-46.png

20. gnomesayin

gnomesayin Team Owner

They also have less downforce. Which again, makes it real conundrum why their race at Pocono was superior.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  21. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

Flat footed at Michigan. Sad.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  22. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

last lap pass might have something to do with it's superior-ness. :p:D

23. machinistman3

machinistman3 Team Owner

Pole sitter in ARCA just qualified at 193 mph. Pretty sad they are faster than the top series.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  24. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

yeah by lap 38/100 he has lapped all but 7 cars and working on a 9 second lead...organic. :p:rolleyes:

25. machinistman3

machinistman3 Team Owner

Looks like 18 total in the race. Wow I thought they had a higher car count than that.

26. kyle18fan

LOL 23 years of tinkering and what exactly has gotten better ? That comparison really tells a story.

27. machinistman3

machinistman3 Team Owner

I ate dinner and watched the weather radar for our daily storm then back to the race and wow it’s over already.

28. kyle18fan

But they aren't done tinkering with the cars, surely the magic will happen in the next decade or so :booya: 6 more inches of spoiler will tighten up the field :pbjtime:

29. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

yep some thought it was terrible back then and it is terrible now. ;)

30. kyle18fan

23 years of hard work for a slower pole speed and more time wasted on cautions, sounds to me like they are on the right track. Rule number one ..... don't fix ANYTHING that isn't broke, but if you insist on doing so, make certain you improve it

donthaveanickname likes this.
  31. aunty dive

aunty dive Team Owner

32. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

yep it's sad and terrible

33. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Anyone know what Trucks have? 625?

34. BobbyFord

Xfin had higher speeds in final practice than did Cup. WTF?

FLRacingFan, kyle18fan and 2 Sweet like this.
  35. 2 Sweet

2 Sweet Legend

Hell, ARCA probably had higher speeds than Cup too

FLRacingFan, gnomesayin and BobbyFord like this.
  36. kyle18fan

I have the needed knowledge to make your truck 10 mph slower but I don't work cheap.... you decide

Ventisca likes this.
  37. Larsonfan1995

Larsonfan1995 Team Owner

7B3F47C9-6809-46A9-94D2-1C1B1027BD73.jpeg For $77k you can have a car that would whip up on $300k cup cars, and then get you home on the road.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  38. BobbyFord

At Michigan...this package sucks.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  39. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Package worked much better at Michigan than at California. Much less single file.

40. kyle18fan

Sad and clumsy display in my opinion

BobbyFord likes this.