What Do you Think of the New Package?

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by Speedbowl14, Feb 25, 2019.

1. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I guess you can twist it around so that makes sense to ya.:cuckoo: Like I said I liked the race at Michigan AND I thought it could be better.

2. DUN24

DUN24 Skeptical of the Spectacle

So sassy... Just trying to paint the picture for you.

Also yeah, I agree.. I thought Larson's wallriding deathrace was way more captivating than the draft fest on Monday. Atleast they "passed" eachother. Didn't complete many but stats don't lie amirite?

3. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

good deal, glad you enjoyed something.

4. kyle18fan

kyle18fan Proud member of Rowdy Nation Contributor

If we must have glue, glue everything on the track !

5. BobbyFord

BobbyFord Resident Gearhead Contributor

The glue is a band-aid for a failing product.

kyle18fan likes this.
  6. kyle18fan

That's what I would call it, but Band-Aids were never intended to stop bleeding

7. BobbyFord

I wonder if NASCAR ever considered Velcro...

kyle18fan likes this.
  8. kyle18fan

Probably in the works as we speak ! So far, that pesky air has thrown a wrench in the spokes :( racing in a total vacuum is really the only answer.

9. BobbyFord

Soon the drivers will be rolling around the track in the backseat of Ubers and Lyfts...

Ventisca and kyle18fan like this.
  10. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I did see a Reddit post a while back suggesting speed bumps and high powered fans to help the air and what not.

BobbyFord likes this.
  11. kyle18fan

Texting hateful messages to each other and having bottle rocket wars

BobbyFord likes this.
  12. machinistman3

machinistman3 Team Owner

I personally think track additives are goofy. The track is the track and always was. Adding fake traction is inherently wrong If you have to do that you have a serious problem.
    I agree that watching Larson rim ride was awesome to watch.

13. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

I don't mind the track additives, but it does say your track doesn't have enough character in some situations. I think it is wrong at Bristol because they keep trying to fix that place.

14. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I don't see it any differently than prepping a dirt track or a drag strip, especially on a repave.

LewTheShoe and Ventisca like this.
  15. NASCAR Apologist

NASCAR Apologist Crew Chief

It's so hard to pass. So the passing stats are up. :dunce:

StandOnIt likes this.
  16. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

ho boy, now ya did it. :D

17. BobbyFord

Take the stages and subsequent restarts away and see how much passing there is ;)

18. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

you could compare them from 2017 on..nah probably not. ;)

19. SpeedPagan

SpeedPagan The iRacing Guru

It was great until the teams figured it out, now it's boring again.

20. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

that's a new one. :cheers:

21. SpeedPagan

SpeedPagan The iRacing Guru

That's the cycle with every change NASCAR makes to the chassis. Every change is exciting at first because the teams haven't figured out how to exploit the new package, but once they start to slowly figure it out, it slowly goes back to the boring snooze-fest of follow the leader.

22. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

I don't remember any mention of Track Bite at Michigan. Was it a secret, or did I just miss it?

Do you feel the same way about progressive banking? Or really, any banking at all? Banking is just fake traction.

StandOnIt likes this.
  23. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I believe it was Harvick that was talking about it when I heard about it, and you could see the thin line of it in the corners. They didn't use hardly any it looked like.

24. machinistman3

machinistman3 Team Owner

Does banking require reapplication?Does banking wash off?
    Apples to oranges

25. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I think he likes it in an orange to apple way. But I bet there are exceptions. :D To bank or not to bank.

26. NASCAR Apologist

NASCAR Apologist Crew Chief

This isn't the first year there's been restarts. ;)

StandOnIt and Ventisca like this.
  27. BobbyFord

This isn’t the first year people have bragged about the increase in passes caused by the staged restarts ;)

28. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Pretty sure all they did was drag tires at Michigan, no track bite.

29. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

that's pretty useless if that is all they did.

30. LewTheShoe

LewTheShoe Team Owner

Matt Weaver at Autoweek has published a scathing review of 2019 Nascar cup racing in an opinion piece titled "The Unhappiest NASCAR Season Ever." He does a pretty good job of setting up the two opposing factions... entertainment product vs. sporting integrity... but he leaves no doubt as to where his sentiments lie.

There are those who claim such an article, which is clearly labeled as opinion, should not even exist. Nonsense, I say. Weaver is knowledgeable and hard-working. He fully understands the facts of the matter, has ample access to industry insiders, and has used all these resources to form his opinions. Worth a read...

https://autoweek.com/article/monster-energy-nascar-cup/opinion-unhappiest-nascar-season-ever

31. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

I don't know who said it shouldn't exist, could be more fake news. There are those making a buck off off the sport, sure had a lot of them last year parroting the same things about record falling attendance, and the crappy racing product, on and on. Did it really help anything? Does hard working whistle britches hatchet job mean anything other than he agrees with half of twitterdum? Looks to me he is riding the drama. None of them last year yapping about the problems or this latest yap, the passes aren't the right kind B.S. Are they really helping the sport? I think not.

32. BobbyFord

You gotta wonder if anyone at NASCAR reads sports media, social media or internet forums. It sure doesn’t seem like it.

33. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

Holy Smoke what a hit job and this guy likes to play with the quotes. His first from Kevin Harvick " I just drive" is complete bull**** if he's trying to say Kevin was commenting on the package, his qualifier that it was "partially brought on by pit road miscues" is more bull****. I see a couple of quotes attributed to Bowyer and Truex but he doesnt say which one said which quote and gave no context. Sorry but as noted its an opinion piece and its his but I can assure him not "everyone" is unhappy like he opines.

34. Spotter22

Spotter22 Team Owner

What are you wanting them to do? Do you really think NASCAR doesnt have social media positions in thier organization?

35. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Probably most can't spare the bandwidth, but Kurt and Truex on Radioactive when Jones spun in the infield, it shure sounded like they thought they had something for Logano before the yellow flew. Kurt enjoyed the heck out of the race also. I expect they will all continue to dog the sport and think they have really important reasons for doing so. :idunno:

36. AuzGrams

AuzGrams Team Owner

Not "everyone" is unhappy but NASCAR is oblivious if they don't realize they need to go back to the drawing board at something. I just don't understand why there isn't more tweaking of these "packages" at certain style of tracks but I'm not an expert.

If only they ran more smooth progressively (or multi) banked 1.5 mile night races - this package would be the best.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    FLRacingFan likes this.
  37. BobbyFord

If only they threw this package in the trash and went back to the 2018 set up.

FLRacingFan and Larsonfan1995 like this.
  38. Madman88

Madman88 Crew Chief

They seem to have the same attitude as others on this board, we don't know what we are talking about and everything's GREAT!!!!!

FLRacingFan and BobbyFord like this.
  39. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

True, more like it than not. It isn't easy making changes to the cars from what I have read. They can't do much because of the OEM's. The OEM's have spent a bundle scienceing out everything and they have the final say unless Nascar gives them something like a year lead time. Can ya imagine if they did? :eek: Heads would explode around here and everywhere's else. I do enjoy the lengths some of the complainers have gone to discredit something or other. But they aren't helping anything or accomplishing anything positive except stroking their individual ego's.

40. rd45usa

rd45usa Team Owner

From the Captain.

LewTheShoe likes this.