What Do you Think of the New Package?

I agree. These races are harder than ever to win. 7 different winners in the last 7 races. It takes balls to make a call to stay out with 42 laps on your tires and out run the pack behind ya who took two sticker tires. So many on here seem burned out. Track position is always number one at New Hampshire, passing is always tough no matter what package they run. One complaint from Harvick was that they didn't work the 4 lane very well with the PJ-1 too slick to run up there. He did say they were going to get better with it because it is helping the racing.

This package complaining stuff is all about everybody having a voice (or thinking that they do) these days. If you were living without connectivity, and fell into this at this very moment, I think anybody would be pretty pleased with what they were seeing. I do appreciate and respect those who have a dissenting voice because of a deep passion and belief about what they think racing is, was, or should be.....I just wish they would accept all of this for what it is which is a pretty good direction IMO. All of this is coming from a person who has never seen a bad race, however. It is what it is.

The young Gibbs heir hasn't been enrolled in More Cars In The TV Shot 101 at The Entertainment Show For All Y'all Fans School of Public Relations yet.

The young Gibbs heir hasn't been enrolled in More Cars In The TV Shot 101 at The Entertainment Show For All Y'all Fans School of Public Relations yet.

Idk who Michael Daly is but he can choke on it for all I care

I think NASCAR should welcome all auto manufacturers who wish to enter one of the premier auto racing series in the world in 202X with 550 HP engines into a new amateur class. Call it the Sippy Cup Series and bring in a decaf energy drink or non-alcoholic beer or vegan burger title sponsor.

Last edited:
I think NASCAR should welcome all auto manufacturers who wish to enter one of the premier auto racing series in the world in 202X with 550 HP engines into a new amateur class. Call it the Sippy Cup Series and bring in a decaf energy drink or non-alcoholic beer or vegan burger title sponsor.
:XXROFL:

Almost the same figures that the Kentucky race had for NHMS. Pretty telling

Thrilling race endings do wonders.

I didn't have a big problem with this race with the 750 hp on it, still don't like the size of the blade aero or lack of tire wear.

Kentucky I have a much bigger problem and if Pocono#2 is anything like Pocono#1.

Thrilling race endings do wonders.

Yes they do..always. Last year Denny gave his number one pit stall to Kyle, an Harvick booting Kyle out of the way at the ending of the race did the same. I wonder why Nascar is trying to continue to replicate that?

Both Pocono's
EAmyerLXUAA12Gp.png:large

EAmzfvGXoAA0sJi.png

For the armchair drivers who think this package is so easy to drive:

Despite higher downforce, a thick swath of “sticky stuff” for extra adhesion and cars that are “easier” to drive, there were seven backup cars in the past two races because of practice crashes at New Hampshire Motor Speedway and Pocono Raceway.

“I don’t think it’s coincidence,” Brad Keselowski said.

There are a few theories, but it essentially boils down to the cars being “edgier” as drivers and teams try to find the limits of their setups.

“You’d think they make a lot of downforce and a lot of grip, and they’d be easier to drive, but with that downforce and grip and load on the car, the tire had to get harder, so the tires become a little difficult to chase in certain situations,” said Alex Bowman, who wrecked at New Hampshire. “And the (traction compound) is like a layer of slime once you get out of the groove. It’s just like a lot of circumstances are playing into it.

“Everybody talks about how this package isn’t hard to drive. Well, it’s really hard to drive right now. For whatever reason. You make a 6-inch mistake, and you’re backward in the fence before you can even catch it.”

GoFas Racing’s Corey LaJoie said even with lower downforce, last year’s cars were more forgiving.

“You were more out of control generally, but when you had a moment, it was like a long lazy moment, and you’d (recover),” LaJoie said. “Now as soon as you slip a tire, you lose all of it. The cars are evil when they get out of shape now. You’re still going to see guys get out of shape because they’re going to figure out how to make the car less stuck to the racetrack. The less stuck, the faster it goes.”

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...ithout-council/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

@Acs posted a good article. No one has refuted it yet...curious.

Armchair analyst posts article supporting his opinion while chiding other armchair analysts. Many drivers and team members who don't spend their Sundays in arm chairs have refuted the narrative of the article and clearly explained what the 2019 rules have done to driving difficulty on intermediates, with many of their comments posted throughout this thread. Some package enthusiasts inevitably dismiss their opinions drawn on firsthand direct experience as biased. Also, the primary quotes in the article are about the New Hampshire race, which is a) not a 1.5 or 2 mile track that was the primary focus of the 2019 changes or b) not a 550 HP event, but a 750 HP one.

Armchair analyst posts article supporting his opinion while chiding other armchair analysts. Many drivers and team members who don't spend their Sundays in arm chairs have refuted the narrative of the article and clearly explained what the 2019 rules have done to driving difficulty on intermediates, with many of their comments posted throughout this thread. Some package enthusiasts inevitably dismiss their opinions drawn on firsthand direct experience as biased. Also, the primary quotes in the article are about the New Hampshire race, which is a) not a 1.5 or 2 mile track that was the primary focus of the 2019 changes or b) not a 550 HP event, but a 750 HP one.
But in theory the car should still be easier to handle at New Hampshire with more downforce, and LaJoie is saying the old car was more forgiving and had more of a feel to it in general while the current one is unforgiving and hard to catch. That is the case everywhere no matter the power, right? And the tires are less grippy basically everywhere.

But in theory the car should still be easier to handle at New Hampshire with more downforce, and LaJoie is saying the old car was more forgiving and had more of a feel to it in general while the current one is unforgiving and hard to catch. That is the case everywhere no matter the power, right? And the tires are less grippy basically everywhere.
LaJoie? WTF?

Indeed, there is a nuanced truth to be found in the quotes about how the cars are generally easier to drive and control, but as such can provide a false sense of security and be harder to catch in certain situations when they snap loose or drift out of the sticky stuff (the traction compound is cited as a major factor). What those quotes are essentially describing is the feeling of being on a rail and suddenly losing it, as opposed to the low downforce feel of having less grip at all times.

Except the best drivers are still up front.
Albeit, driving a less desirable car.
But, Oh Gods, the quality green flag passes...

Except the best drivers are still up front.
Albeit, driving a less desirable car.
But, Oh Gods, the quality green flag passes...
If the same drivers are up front and the passing is up there doesn't seem to be a real downside to me.

It sounds like some drivers adapted to a style that is more precision and finesse already. That is what good drivers do, adapt.

If the same drivers are up front and the passing is up there doesn't seem to be a real downside to me.

It sounds like some drivers adapted to a style that is more precision and finesse already. That is what good drivers do, adapt.
The good drivers are always going to win. Slowing the cars down to create packs and fake drama is a detriment to the sport and an insult to fans.

Indeed, there is a nuanced truth to be found in the quotes about how the cars are generally easier to drive and control, but as such can provide a false sense of security and be harder to catch in certain situations when they snap loose or drift out of the sticky stuff (the traction compound is cited as a major factor). What those quotes are essentially describing is the feeling of being on a rail and suddenly losing it, as opposed to the low downforce feel of having less grip at all times.

AeroSnap loose when all of a sudden your flat footing it gets interrupted.

not a whole heck of a lot of difference. More passing than last year, but less lead changes. Truex running out of gas last year messed up the MOV

EBKL4kiW4AAEeXs.jpg:large

You could call Truex a sore loser, but the guy who beat him was on the same page.

Truex:

"It's like a wall of air, man," Truex said to crew chief Cole Pearn.

"We passed everybody we needed to at the front there; just couldn’t get the 9," Truex said of his battle with Elliott. "We were definitely faster than him, but you’ve got to be a lot faster than somebody here to pass them today with this package.

"We did as good as we good with what we had, and, really, it all came down to that last restart. We beat and banged hard for it going up through the Esses, but he came out on top, and that was the race."

"I knew I wasn’t going to be able to pass him," Truex added. "I’d get to two-lengths and lose all grip. I was really trying to keep the pressure on him, just hoping for a mistake; but he did a great job. Hit all his marks, and his car was good in some key areas where there was just no way I was going to get a run on him.

"You really fight a penalty (running) behind guys with this package, and, like I said, I passed some other cars that were up front but weren’t near as fast as we were."

Elliott:

"I felt like he was a little faster than we were really in all reality, and track position was king, and just having the clean air I think made the difference," the back-to-back Watkins Glen winner said during his post-race press conference. "Getting out in front of him on the restart and then guys doing a good job on pit road and not having any mistakes, that was a big deal."

"The guy in front had to have a little bit of a bobble at the right time," Elliott said. "You could bobble, but you just couldn't do it at the wrong spot. So, I just tried really hard to not to make any mistakes and not give it to him.

"I felt like he was a little better. If he was going to beat me, I wanted him to come up there and out-brake me and pass me. I wanted to make it as hard as I could on him and not hand it to him was my goal."

https://autoweek.com/article/monste...restart-keep-chase-elliott-front-martin-truex

None of this changes the fact that the Glen was a good race and Elliott drove flawlessly. Would just be a lot better if they dropped the high downforce nonsense.

Last edited:
The good drivers are always going to win. Slowing the cars down to create packs and fake drama is a detriment to the sport and an insult to fans.

The good teams are always going to win. Drivers certainly play a role, but the car/setup combined with pit crew (etc.) is what wins. Put Truex on Norm Benning's team and he would be a 25th place driver at best.

not a whole heck of a lot of difference. More passing than last year, but less lead changes. Truex running out of gas last year messed up the MOV

EBKL4kiW4AAEeXs.jpg:large
It looks like 2014 and 2016 were good races at this track when you consider the number of quality passes.

I wonder how come if that is so, the passing numbers for this year that are posted must be wrong then.
Who cares? There's a lot of passing on restarts, a lot of passing when cars are running close together. When cars are strung out, that's when that bubble of air hits. Numbers don't always paint the whole picture

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Who cares? There's a lot of passing on restarts, a lot of passing when cars are running close together. When cars are strung out, that's when that bubble of air hits. Numbers don't always paint the whole picture

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
There was a lot of complaining back then, and there is a lot of complaining now. Who cares. :p

Traction compound to be applied at Michigan for this weekend’s races
It will mark the first time the track has applied a traction compound.
NASCAR stated to NBC Sports that the traction compound will be applied to the top 40 feet in the corners.

That goes with what Denny Hamlin said this past weekend about where the traction compound should be placed at tracks.

“The goal with it has been to not put it in the second lane where you have a Michigan-type effect where it becomes a total primary groove and nobody can run on the bottom because they will get freight-trained,” said Hamlin, who is among the drivers consulting NASCAR on where to use the traction compound at tracks. “You try to put it in the third lane to then give someone the option to run a shorter distance and maybe either slide up to the sticky stuff or use it if people are running in the lower groove.”

“I kept getting runs and going underneath guys and beating them through the corner, but if you can’t clear them, you lose two or three to four spots every time,” said Martin Truex Jr., who finished third in that race.

Even so, the 20 lead changes in the June race were tied for the most since there were 25 lead changes in the race Jimmie Johnson won there in June 2014.

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2019/0...-applied-at-michigan-for-this-weekends-races/

I'm not a big fan of the extra downforce and shortened braking zone on the road courses. I think they would put on an even better race without it.

Was it just me or could you visibly the see the aero drag on the cars? They looked more stable and glued on exit compared to past year's from what I saw.

What I saw, besides Chase reliably drive away off Turn 1 -- was tears streaming down MTJ's face as he was doing it.

But I tend to have an active imagination...

Was it just me or could you visibly the see the aero drag on the cars?
If you could take a screenshot of your mental CFD analysis next time that'd be great, Dale Earnhardt.

I think most of us like what we're seeing with the new package. You look at something from the eye test standpoint and you say, "this is pretty good." Then you look at the facts and they match up with what we're seeing with the eye test. When you check the green flag lead changes, the green flag quality passes, they're higher than they've ever been. And contrary to popular belief the cars are hard to drive. Directionally we like what we're seeing.

If you could take a screenshot of your mental CFD analysis next time that'd be great, Dale Earnhardt.

I think most of us like what we're seeing with the new package. You look at something from the eye test standpoint and you say, "this is pretty good." Then you look at the facts and they match up with what we're seeing with the eye test. When you check the green flag lead changes, the green flag quality passes, they're higher than they've ever been. And contrary to popular belief the cars are hard to drive. Directionally we like what we're seeing.
No.

Back
Top Bottom