What Do you Think of the New Package?

If you could take a screenshot of your mental CFD analysis next time that'd be great, Dale Earnhardt.

I think most of us like what we're seeing with the new package. You look at something from the eye test standpoint and you say, "this is pretty good." Then you look at the facts and they match up with what we're seeing with the eye test. When you check the green flag lead changes, the green flag quality passes, they're higher than they've ever been. And contrary to popular belief the cars are hard to drive. Directionally we like what we're seeing.

This is a troll account right? A+

I'll let you know when I download the app for that. Lol.

From 2014. And so do the fans

"We all have different theories," Penske Racing driver Joey Logano said before the test. “Some of us want a smaller spoiler, some of us want a bigger spoiler, some want a tapered spacer, some want more horsepower. We all have our own arguments … and that’s fine. … "

Interesting to me anyway is that I thought the race was one of the better ones for Michigan. I think the PJ1 helped along with good handling cars. Harvick said he could drive all three lines whereas Logano couldn't. Hamlin said when the track got hot and slicked off he lost his advantage. The stats are lower, probably partly because of the econo runs of the third stage I'm guessing. Some of the passing duels back n forth were bad azz IMO.

Interesting to me anyway is that I thought the race was one of the better ones for Michigan. I think the PJ1 helped along with good handling cars. Harvick said he could drive all three lines whereas Logano couldn't. Hamlin said when the track got hot and slicked off he lost his advantage. The stats are lower, probably partly because of the econo runs of the third stage I'm guessing. Some of the passing duels back n forth were bad azz IMO.

It was a fabulous race. Short runs, long runs, high downforce set ups, trimmed out set ups, battles on pit road, battles on the track (leader was passed with 20 to go), and fuel......What the hell else does a NASCAR fan want.....besides the ability to bitch?

You say that as if it's abnormal for people to complain about things they care about :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

With numbers like that it really is a moot point. I think the ones paying the lions share of the bills are looking at those numbers and not the I don't know what the hell ya call them. Viewers?:D

Darlington.
Jeezus this package is terrible.
Flat footed isn’t racing. Ever.
The 14 holding up the FASTEST car for 30+ laps essentially put Kurt in a situation to get screwed on pit road. This was totally Kurt's race to lose, the 14 cost him the win and is gifting it to the 18. And Kurt may not even get a top 5. Because a 14th place car on old tires held him up. That's not racing, it's bubble racing.

Stats are pretty much the same

EDdgOWlXsAExKtv.png:large

Stats are pretty much the same

EDdgOWlXsAExKtv.png:large
All gen 6 cars. Stats don't paint the whole picture though in sports man. Just like at NH. Lots of lead changes. Only 2 during green flag racing

oh brother :rolleyes: Next he will be telling me that the up tic in ratings and attendance doesn't tell the whole story

It's mission accomplished from NASCAR's standpoint, side by side racing on restarts, faster cars stuck behind slower ones and tempers flaring because of it. Artificially create the drama and sit back and watch the fans and driver's pull their hair out over it.

Cars were WOT for about 3-5 laps, at most. Good job on Goodyear's part making a tire that had quite significant fall-off during the race. A lot of side by side action and creating a bit of action, it did space out a bit at the end. At the same time, it happens because some teams get the cars to operate better throughout the night.

The mid-corner speed was insane, even with tire fall-off over time. That really caught my eye on camera last night, but I still feel as if I'd like a little more off throttle time and giving the drivers the ability to have a bit more grunt come corner exit. I can't complain though, the race and package did the job.

oh brother :rolleyes: Next he will be telling me that the up tic in ratings and attendance doesn't tell the whole story
:rolleyes: No. That's a good thing and isn't the point. Jesus man, carry on lol

The racing this year has been fantastic. I know what some think about the package(s), but I really don't care. It has been awesome. I have always said that I could find something interesting in every race, and I always have. However, I don't have to look nearly as hard these days. NASCAR nailed it, and I am sure there will be a few to flame the hell out of this post, but I just don't care. I said, "Oh ****!" about a dozen times last night about several battles on the track. Freaking awesome, and I loved it.

I thought the race was fine, but it does suck that they didn't run the 750hp motor. The cars woulda been even more of a handful.

Just watched a complete race from 1972....sure there were only 4 cars on the lead lap at the end, but you were on the edge of your seat the entire 500 miles. Whether it be mechanical issues, crashes, or door banging...something was always going on.

The strategy and tactics kept most people preoccupied...even when a car was damaged people were anticipating a return to the race, even missing a front end or half the car...fans knew the big picture was the season points and total understood it.

I say, get rid of the aero...start with eliminating the side skirts and have stock rocker panel configuration, then make the use a stock dimensional front end without the chin spoiler just the frame to frame rail spoiler under the nose...no spoiler over 3" on the back and stock door panels. Have to get rid of the "boy" racer, cartoon looking configurations....I would even go so far as agreeing to the early '90's type car.

Just watched a complete race from 1972....sure there were only 4 cars on the lead lap at the end, but you were on the edge of your seat the entire 500 miles. Whether it be mechanical issues, crashes, or door banging...something was always going on.

The strategy and tactics kept most people preoccupied...even when a car was damaged people were anticipating a return to the race, even missing a front end or half the car...fans knew the big picture was the season points and total understood it.

I say, get rid of the aero...start with eliminating the side skirts and have stock rocker panel configuration, then make the use a stock dimensional front end without the chin spoiler just the frame to frame rail spoiler under the nose...no spoiler over 3" on the back and stock door panels. Have to get rid of the "boy" racer, cartoon looking configurations....I would even go so far as agreeing to the early '90's type car.

one of these days a person will realize ya can't go back in time, or not. Can't put it back in the box, before computer simulations, wind tunnels, shaker rigs, and cell phones. Teams will still spend millions these days no matter what the package is trying to be the fastest. Doesn't make a flip skirts or not. Today's car has an abundance of downforce, it's adjustable high or low depending on the need, and they are really safe when turned sideways at 190. They don't go flying over the safer barrier instead of hitting a pole or a bank or a guardrail like back in the day. Teams had special crash carts and personnel to repair damaged cars, but economics curtailed that practice. If one doesn't understand the nature of the cost involved with going faster most of these rules probably do seem odd. If they don't understand that racing isn't a static sport like most of the stick n ball sports are that can be confusing also. The reality that hasn't changed over the years is that there will always be rules to try to control the costs and for safety and teams will always try to exploit those rules. It was the same back then and it is the same now.

one of these days a person will realize ya can't go back in time, or not. Can't put it back in the box, before computer simulations, wind tunnels, shaker rigs, and cell phones. Teams will still spend millions these days no matter what the package is trying to be the fastest. Doesn't make a flip skirts or not. Today's car has an abundance of downforce, it's adjustable high or low depending on the need, and they are really safe when turned sideways at 190. They don't go flying over the safer barrier instead of hitting a pole or a bank or a guardrail like back in the day. Teams had special crash carts and personnel to repair damaged cars, but economics curtailed that practice. If one doesn't understand the nature of the cost involved with going faster most of these rules probably do seem odd. If they don't understand that racing isn't a static sport like most of the stick n ball sports are that can be confusing also. The reality that hasn't changed over the years is that there will always be rules to try to control the costs and for safety and teams will always try to exploit those rules. It was the same back then and it is the same now.
At one time Hemmingway said there were only three real sports...mountain climbing, bull fighting, and auto racing....everything else was a game. Unfortunately, auto racing is now a game.

Did any of your friends / fellow competitors suffer a “sport”-ending injury? Or worse?

True...I raced when it was still a sport. And you can take that to the bank.
Hilarious.

Modern day racing isn't racing at all, I guess. Ernest Hemmingway was a phenominal author, but he died in 1961.

Its 2019 and racing is still dangerous. We just lost Jesse Combs and Anthonie Hubert.

Did any of your friends / fellow competitors suffer a “sport”-ending injury? Or worse?
Sure...lost a few. Was very close to Pat Schauer...he smucked the wall driver side first at Winchester...he could have been a great one. Still made ASA rookie of the year even though he was dead. The last time I was still directly involved in racing David Anspaugh got messed up at the Milwaukee Mile. Talked to Neil Bonnett the day before he was gone too....we talked about, well up to that time, the worst crash he had been in was at Slinger Speedway in '87 he was still concerned about the cobwebs developing in his head seven years later as he got ready to practice at Daytona. Can go back to the late '60's...bunch of mutual drivers got hurt, some died...it was just part of the deal, it happened. Not so much anymore. The Dale Earnhardt situation pretty much was the end of the era in regards to the possible expectation.

...it was just part of the deal, it happened. Not so much anymore.

Yes, it was. I saw some things from up close that are still with me.

Thankfully, that kind of carnage is no longer a weekly occurrence. This “sport” is still very dangerous. I’s easy to be lulled into a false sense of security. It’s important to not let that happen.

Less than a half a mile an hour difference in pole speeds than the 2017 car and with a margin of victory of over 6 seconds, it looked very similar to years past at Indy, but the more exciting restarts last longer with this package before they do their single file conga line that the track produces. Nascar needs to work on much shorter caution delays, get Hoots back or do something IMO. I'm ready anytime they want to go to a different track that is more suitable for Nascar racing instead of one that caters to a much different car.

ED-k7kkWwAAg5ij.png:large

Jr made a great point today. On his podcast he talked about how much the driver etiquette has changed as now you have to fight so much more for every position. In the low downforce era it was such a disadvantage to run side by side that you’d simply let someone thru if they had ya. Now people are doing whatever it takes to not get passed.

I understand people hating the idea of less powerful cars but the race ratings here and on Jeff Glucks Poll are telling. I think this is the fiercest racing I’ve seen week to week in years

Jr made a great point today. On his podcast he talked about how much the driver etiquette has changed as now you have to fight so much more for every position. In the low downforce era it was such a disadvantage to run side by side that you’d simply let someone thru if they had ya. Now people are doing whatever it takes to not get passed.

I understand people hating the idea of less powerful cars but the race ratings here and on Jeff Glucks Poll are telling. I think this is the fiercest racing I’ve seen week to week in years
Not only that but the stage points have them driving hard the whole race instead of what Jr also said cruising for three quarters of the race and racing hard the last quarter. This year instead of them getting out in victory lane and getting a towel to wipe a little bit of moisture off of their face and looking like they can go another 400 miles, they look like they have been in a race this year. I think the fans think they are getting their money's worth this year and it is showing with the better attendance and ratings. Drivers said they wanted a car that was hard to drive, they got their wish.

Not only that but the stage points have them driving hard the whole race instead of what Jr also said cruising for three quarters of the race and racing hard the last quarter. This year instead of them getting out in victory lane and getting a towel to wipe a little bit of moisture off of their face and looking like they can go another 400 miles, they look like they have been in a race this year. I think the fans think they are getting their money's worth this year and it is showing with the better attendance and ratings. Drivers said they wanted a car that was hard to drive, they got their wish.

Agreed. I will say making the cars a little sturdier would go a long way into allowing more contact between cars

I just think some of us dont want to see a car unable to get to the bumper of a car that was running .2 to .3 slower. Same issue Kyle Busch talked about a Darlington. Doesn't mean the racing isn't enjoyable to us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom