What Do you Think of the New Package?

That Kansas race was about the best advertisement possible for the 2019 package. It keeps the cars closer together (a stated goal) and creates intense action, especially on restarts. Last year's rules could make for wild restarts too, but that tends to linger longer this year.

I personally don't like how the cars race around each other with the effects of high downforce. The way a slower leading car can trap a faster trailing car behind creates a version of "closer racing", but it's not my cup of tea. The clean air / dirty air effects are greatly increased by this package. That said, the result is much better at some tracks than others. This was the best non-short track race of the season so far. It's not pack racing and is actually still much better than what pack racing is.

So far all of the 1.5's have been better. The All Star is going to be a barn burner and nobody is going to run up an 11 second lead in the yawner 600 like last year. Caw!

The fact that drivers behind the lead car have to violently search for nose air in order to complete a pass is complete crap.
This package is terrible.
This isn’t racing.
A lot of older posters here settle for this because it’s all they’ve got.
It ain’t working for me.
I’ll watch when I’ve got nothing better to do.

Asked about the racing the new aero package produced at Kansas, Keselowski said, "I'm a little biased because I'm parked in Victory Lane, but this was an awesome race today. This rule package is really made for tracks like Kansas Speedway and I think the fans saw a great one today."

Best race I've ever seen at Kansas Speedway.

The cars are closer together than ever and passing more than ever. What else do you need.

Shiiiiiiiii SUCKS!! Please throw this out the window and just get back to basics please lol. All the do is slingshot pass each other all race.. goodnight going to bed!

It’s just hard to argue about the results on the track, what we are visually seeing. This package produces some of the elements that were missing. If what turns you on is watching guys compete with the track, laying down hot laps with little passing, stretched out spread out, that’s Formula 1 lite and not entertaining to me. If you didn’t like the action at Kansas I just can’t understand what you are looking for. JMO.

The fact that drivers behind the lead car have to violently search for nose air in order to complete a pass is complete crap.
This package is terrible.
This isn’t racing.
A lot of older posters here settle for this because it’s all they’ve got.
It ain’t working for me.
I’ll watch when I’ve got nothing better to do.

You literally just described sprint car racing lol

It’s just hard to argue about the results on the track, what we are visually seeing. This package produces some of the elements that were missing. If what turns you on is watching guys compete with the track, laying down hot laps with little passing, stretched out spread out, that’s Formula 1 lite and not entertaining to me. If you didn’t like the action at Kansas I just can’t understand what you are looking for. JMO.

I would just add that I don't think the previous package strictly fit into that box on a consistent basis. There were some exciting 1.5/2 races and some not so exciting 1.5/2 races. Considering how Fontana went, I don't think this package is immune from the occasional let down. It seems a lateral move to me imo, while providing something different than we're used to seeing. How long will the novelty last?

It used to happen where the driver's would struggle competing with the track and their car while racing hard side by side 3 wide, many exciting moments from what I remember, at the same time driver skill was at a premium. Not to say it is completely gone with this new package, but definitely different, and diminished imo. It seems the ultimate challenge in who can hold wide open the longest, any lift and you're going backwards.

Visually yes, I agree with you to a certain degree on that one.

While the race last night was entertaining, there are a number of things I don't like about this package as a fan of an actual driver. If you're just a fan of the sport and don't care who wins and like seeing cars all over the place, I get why you'd like it. Keying in on one guy for an entire race though, you begin to see some of the bogus crap that happens during the course of a run to these guys because of this package. It just isn't for me.

Brad should've been able to blow Bowman's doors off within a few laps of catching him last night but because of the huge wake of air he nearly ran out of time. That's a problem.

Track position and momentum are paramount. If you like that, cool. If you're like me though you'll probably dread every 1.5 race.

Also the cars are slow af. And yes you can tell on TV.

While the race last night was entertaining, there are a number of things I don't like about this package as a fan of an actual driver. If you're just a fan of the sport and don't care who wins and like seeing cars all over the place, I get why you'd like it. Keying in on one guy for an entire race though, you begin to see some of the bogus crap that happens during the course of a run to these guys because of this package. It just isn't for me.

Brad should've been able to blow Bowman's doors off within a few laps of catching him last night but because of the huge wake of air he nearly ran out of time. That's a problem.

Track position and momentum are paramount. If you like that, cool. If you're like me though you'll probably dread every 1.5 race.

Also the cars are slow af. And yes you can tell on TV.
1.When has it not been?
2. Faster cars dont mean better racing.

A bunch of em are saying it was because the race was at night, or the weather was cool, all kinds of stuff. Really getting a lot of people involved talking about the race. On to the 600.

A bunch of em are saying it was because the race was at night, or the weather was cool, all kinds of stuff. Really getting a lot of people involved talking about the race. On to the 600.

Back to night racing it is then? Okay then! Let's put headlights on 'em at Dover! Very interesting race last night. I enjoyed it.

You literally just described sprint car racing lol

forgot single file parade or boring, can't pass, and many other comments you see on a typical racing thread around here. Except for one or two, seemed like everybody enjoyed both races. I know I did and that is why I watch racing to enjoy it, not fall asleep.:D Now it isn't the right KIND of passing.:p

From all the commentaries this year about how the new package is constantly producing "the best 1.5 mile race" in a long time or ever, it sure seems like a lot of people disliked and weren't enjoying the racing for many years and were afraid to admit it.

No, this package is antithetical to the elements of sprint car racing. What are you talking about?

Haha what do you mean? Sprint car racing is searching for clean air during long green flag runs by running different lines due to the turbulence created by those massive wings. It’s very difficult to pass, typically this is covered up however by the disparity in talent and car level

Haha what do you mean? Sprint car racing is searching for clean air during long green flag runs by running different lines due to the turbulence created by those massive wings. It’s very difficult to pass, typically this is covered up however by the disparity in talent and car level
oh dirt sprints, :p I thought the OP and comments were talking about cup racing. neva mind.

"Very difficult to pass" is a broad generalization that is dependent on track conditions. You're misunderstanding the main reasons sprint car drivers don't follow each other, and instead a trailing car will usually run the opposite groove of the lead car. Turbulence from wings in winged sprint car racing is a factor, you're correct, but they do the same thing in non-winged sprint car racing. Late models do it too.

The bottom line is any 410 sprint car has vastly more power than they can get to the ground on any tracks they run. This creates a very different type of racing and prioritizes different driving skills than the momentum racing this package offers. Why do you think the drivers with dirt backgrounds are particularly not fans of high downforce and cutting power?

I'll leave it at that, because I know it can turn into a hijack. Sprint car racing and stock car racing are fundamentally different. But if we're going to compare them, the low downforce / high power approach was far more similar.

Well,just to stir the pot, I've already had two casual fans tell me it was the best race they had seen in a LONG time, and even though I was bone numbingly tired last night, it managed to keep me wide awake and engaged. Take it for what it's worth.

Presented without comment: https://jeffgluck.com/the-top-five-breaking-down-the-kansas-race-2/

As the laps wound down, Keselowski was trailing Bowman and getting aggravated. He had his foot to the floor, all the way around the track, but wasn’t making any progress.

“In a lot of ways that’s frustrating, because it felt like before (in the old rules package) at least when you were lifting, there was something you could maybe do different,” Keselowski said. “But when you’re running wide open behind somebody and you can’t make the pass, you’re like argh.”

On the other hand, Keselowski noted making passes now is “a touch easier…because the draft helps pull you back to somebody.”

Asked about the racing the new aero package produced at Kansas, Keselowski said, "I'm a little biased because I'm parked in Victory Lane, but this was an awesome race today. This rule package is really made for tracks like Kansas Speedway and I think the fans saw a great one today."

i thought that was a horrible excuse for a race. if you want some silly spectacle like indycar used to do with it being all aero, no lifting, just small talladegas, then you have what you want. but that is not what i consider a race. Indycar agrees and has moved away from that nonsense years ago and promised never to go back

i thought that was a horrible excuse for a race. if you want some silly spectacle like indycar used to do with it being all aero, no lifting, just small talladegas, then you have what you want. but that is not what i consider a race. Indycar agrees and has moved away from that nonsense years ago and promised never to go back
Nobody has a 3 second lead at Dega

Yeah, it sucks.

who ray for the 10%er's the one's who truly know what REAL racing is. :p

I said it was about as good a race as this package can produce. I don't participate in race ratings, but if forced to, I would vote yes for Kansas.

This idea of rooting for poll results assumes that one is concerned whether their honest opinion is popular enough. I hope your opinion would remain the same whether it was on the 90% side or 10% side.

I'm definitely on the 90% side, I want the sport to continue to be healthy, but I understand there has to be a screaming 10%. They watch too.

I'm not going to change my opinion because others don't agree with it. If that's what the majority wants a nascar race to be that is fine. we all get our own opinion, if they go a way I don't like I just don't have to watch it. I'm just happy I didn't stay home to be disappointed and only had to fast forward thru it.

Metrics! And not just loop data regurgitation. If you care strictly about passing, and I mean solely about the volume of passing...Kansas is a win for you. Dover, not so much.

Green flag pass data is exaggerated by the BS stages.
What about a " stage race" bothers you so much? Its still racing, everyone is aware of it and what they need to do to score maximum points which leads to different strategies. People get hung up on the word stage for some reason but in the end its still cars racing like they always have.

Probably gonna stick with this on anything longer than a mile. And cut the spoiler in half with anything shorter. Makes sense to me IMO, create a consistent formula with the exception of the spoiler, similar to Indy.

NASCAR gets too much grief at times. Honestly the variations in the track type in this sport is insane. Hell the trucks even go on tracks that aren’t paved lmao

Back
Top Bottom