What kind of car do you drive?

Was looking for a 12 - 13 Boss Stang & happened on this puppy, '12 Roush stage 2 its #50 of 125 with 12K on the clock..
It rides like a brick, handles like a short track pavement car & its noisy = exactly my cup of tea. Battery & MC covers are signed by the 4 guys that built it.

S1.JPG

I figure I'll post mine. 2020 Colorado Z71 Midnight Edition. Have always been a full size truck guy but I just fell in love with the pure performance and features on this thing for an unbelievable price. Thank God I bought it before all of this chip stuff really started
IMG_1980.jpeg

A family member bought one three or four months ago and hasn't stopped saying what a great vehicle it is. I've ridden in it and it does ride decent for a utility vehicle and has a roomy interior to haul things. So far all report are positive and there have been a few two plus hours drives involved. I know if I were in the market for a new utility vehicle I'd head right to the Ford Dealer and get a Bronco.

Currently we are practical users of vehicles. I’d love to pour money into something wonderful and fun…maybe someday.

Our family qvehicle 2021 Honda Pilot - love this as an SUV
My business use practical car - 2020 Buick Envision. Got a great deal on it with rebates last year…just before the crazy supply chain mess.

Best previous car ever owned: Cadillac Sedan DeVille
Best truck previously owned: Ford F-150 XLT
Most FUN cars previously owned: Porsche 924S, last generation MG-B, last generation Triumph Spitfire, Mazda Miata

A family member bought one three or four months ago and hasn't stopped saying what a great vehicle it is. I've ridden in it and it does ride decent for a utility vehicle and has a roomy interior to haul things. So far all report are positive and there have been a few two plus hours drives involved. I know if I were in the market for a new utility vehicle I'd head right to the Ford Dealer and get a Bronco.

Baby Bronco or the big boy?

Baby Bronco or the big boy?
Was going to be my question too. The Bronco Sport is just an Escape while the real Bronco sits on the Ranger platform.

Most reviews I’ve seen on the big Bronco see are positive but I’m waiting for the honeymoon phase to be over. Only major complaints I’ve seen are about some wind noise in the interior, albeit nowhere close to how bad the noise is for the Jeep, the lack of a larger fuel tank option, and the cargo space in the 2 door.

Was going to be my question too. The Bronco Sport is just an Escape while the real Bronco sits on the Ranger platform.

Most reviews I’ve seen on the big Bronco see are positive but I’m waiting for the honeymoon phase to be over. Only major complaints I’ve seen are about some wind noise in the interior, albeit nowhere close to how bad the noise is for the Jeep, the lack of a larger fuel tank option, and the cargo space in the 2 door.
I was super hyped for the new Bronco but the fuel economy numbers take it out of contention for me. Still glad they brought it to market though.

I was super hyped for the new Bronco but the fuel economy numbers take it out of contention for me. Still glad they brought it to market though.
I don’t think anyone looking for a big square shaped off road capable vehicle is really worried about fuel mileage. Although I do wish they included a larger fuel tank option. The 2.3L gets *decent* MPGs for the size of the vehicle, but for the size of the vehicle I don’t want a turbo powered 4 banger under the hood. The twin turbo V-6 would be the only option I’d look at.

Also, I’ve seen that the lag in very high altitudes is massive. You need to keep the thing wound up if you want to go anywhere.

I don’t think anyone looking for a big square shaped off road capable vehicle is really worried about fuel mileage. Although I do wish they included a larger fuel tank option. The 2.3L gets *decent* MPGs for the size of the vehicle, but for the size of the vehicle I don’t want a turbo powered 4 banger under the hood. The twin turbo V-6 would be the only option I’d look at.

Also, I’ve seen that the lag in very high altitudes is massive. You need to keep the thing wound up if you want to go anywhere.
*Everybody* is worried about fuel mileage. 98% of Wranglers and Bronco buyers aren't hardcore wheeling the thing more than they're commuting to work and such. Also it's not a big vehicle.

*Everybody* is worried about fuel mileage. 98% of Wranglers and Bronco buyers aren't hardcore wheeling the thing more than they're commuting to work and such. Also it's not a big vehicle.
Just like the Hummer A holes in the early 2000's. 'Look at me, I'm a Douche to the Nth degree"...

Reactions: sdj
That’s why you own more than one vehicle. I have a gas-sipper for commuting and I have some vehicles that get 10-15mpg…and a motorcycle.

I mean, not really. Plenty of Bronco customers were hoping for the 5.0 V8 to be dropped into the Bronco. These people do not have fuel economy anywhere near the top of their vehicle needs list. The 4 door Wildtrak and Bandlands trims are the most popular builds - all equipped with larger AT tires. Nothing about these most requested builds says fuel economy is desired. While most Bronco drivers will just be driving on the highway, that doesn’t mean that fuel economy is a desired option. If people who wanted great fuel economy were looking at a Bronco, they would immediately do an aboutface after looking at the specs.

I would like to order a brand new truck, specifically a Silverado with the 6.2 and "Trail Boss" package, but that's not real easy at the moment with the supply chain issues and I'm willing to wait until GM starts offering the employee/family discount again. But I recently changed jobs and gave up my company car (it was a POS anyway) and decided I should start looking for a new daily. I still have my trucks, but the '85 only comes out every now and then on a nice weekend and I'm not thrilled about the idea of my '89 pickup being my only option for a daily driver.

So I started looking for cheap used stuff, but couldn't find much of anything that I liked.....until this week. I got extremely lucky and found an '04 S10 Blazer ZR2, rust free, in my favorite color (hard to find Dark Green Metallic) and a 5-speed manual (even more hard to find). It doesn't get any better than that! An hour drive and $2500 later, and it was mine.....

Screenshot-20211005-200944-copy-1028x705.png

^ This is the only pic I have at the moment, but it's in decent shape. It should clean up pretty nice

Current fleet: 2008 Pontiac G6 convertible
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis
1986 Chevy G30 van
1967 Pontiac LeMans convertible (can be driven, but currently off the road for restoration)

Formerly owned: 1963 Plymouth Valiant (very first car, learned to drive a stick on it)
1971 Pontiac Catalina
1965 Buick Skylark
1973 Dodge van (actually had two of these)
1980 Oldsmobile Cutlass diesel
1961 Ford Falcon
1964 Volkswagen Type III coupe (never actually drove it on the road before I got an offer I couldn't refuse)
1981 Pontiac Bonneville
1976 Toyota Celica
1978 Chevrolet Caprice (never actually drove it on the road - made an Enduro car out of it)
1978 Chevrolet Impala (didn't run - was a parts car for the Caprice)
1949 Ford F1 pickup (never got it running before I got an offer I couldn't refuse)
1990 Ford Festiva (actually made by Kia)
1993 Mazda Protoge

Not an impressive list to racing fans, but since this thread was about street cars I didn't list any race cars. For me, street cars are utilitarian and I get my speed jollies in racing equipment on race tracks. Also didn't list some faster or more exotic street cars that I had access to, but didn't actually own.

Looking at the list, I'm surprised that there have been so many because usually I keep and drive a car for decades. Only two of these were bought new (the Mercury and the Kia). A friend once remarked that it's odd to see me driving a car that was built during the same decade that I'm living in.

It's all just transportation to me. Darling Bride has a '19 Mazda CX-5, and I inherited her '04 Hyundai Elantra (under 140K). I prioritize reliability, comfort, fuel mileage, and ease of operation, in that order. She adores the Mazda, and the 30 MPH Hyundai will get me to work for the few years left before I retire.

I traded an '05 Ranger for the CX-5. My dad gave it to me used when they no longer needed two vehicles; I would have never considered buying a truck. It was okay transportation for seven or eight years, but I didn't like feeding its 18 MPG habit, it wasn't as comfortable as the Elantra, and I never really got comfortable parking it. I also found that I didn't actually use the bed often enough to compensate for those characteristics.

To each his own.

More pics and details on mechanicals, please. :lurk:
Man, that ol bike. I bought it when I was 22. It started out a 77 FLH, if you can believe that. I built a four plug shovelhead motor for it and blew that up, then I had the cases modified and ran 85 flywheels and Evolution top-end on the shovel cases. I blew up the cases coming back from Arizona, cracked them through the lifter blocks. It was spraying oil but got me home. From there I bought a set of STD cases and a set of 3-5/8” S&S barrels and made it a legit Evo. I had to cut and modify the frame and gas tanks to get the Evo motor and 42mm Mikuni carburetor to fit. Flanders half-high bars, custom hand-made seat, 80s dual disc wide glide front end…Just really a sweet and comfortable bike to ride. Hard to believe it’s 44 years old.
The pic of the V8 is a 466” motor in my 72 F100 short bed. The truck just needs paint. Everything underneath is new; disc brake upgrade, dropped i-beams, flipped rear axle, c-notched frame, Redhead steering box, relocated 69 Mustang gas tank under the bed, behind the rear axle. Battery relocated under the front of the bed. Mini-tubbed bed, widened 3”, 345mm street slicks, 3” mandrel bent exhaust all the way out the back…super fun to drive.

Last edited:
Cool story on that 466. My dad and I were both building 460s. He had a long bed, I had a short bed. We were going to race. My dad finished his motor and I was still building mine. Before we had a chance to race, my dad died from pancreatic cancer. I went to the engine shop and picked up his complete engine. When I got it home I stripped it to a short block and added components that I acquired for my engine. My C9VE heads were max-ported with larger valves installed by Scotty Johnston in Tacoma Washington. I also added a solid lifter flat tappet cam, custom spec’d by Scotty. I used my dad’s intake, my stainless roller rockers and Blue Thunder valve covers, I added a wind tray, HV oil pump and rear sump pan. Recurved Duraspark (from Scotty) and MSD box. Bent my own stainless steel fuel lines to plumb the 850 Holley. 130 GPM Holley mechanical pump.
My dad never got to hear his motor run. When I tore it apart my intention was to make it a little better. I think he’d be happy how it turned out.

Cool story on that 466. My dad and I were both building 460s. He had a long bed, I had a short bed. We were going to race. My dad finished his motor and I was still building mine. Before we had a chance to race, my dad died from pancreatic cancer. I went to the engine shop and picked up his complete engine. When I got it home I stripped it to a short block and added components that I acquired for my engine. My C9VE heads were max-ported with larger valves installed by Scotty Johnston in Tacoma Washington. I also added a solid lifter flat tappet cam, custom spec’d by Scotty. I used my dad’s intake, my stainless roller rockers and Blue Thunder valve covers, I added a wind tray, HV oil pump and rear sump pan. Recurved Duraspark (from Scotty) and MSD box. Bent my own stainless steel fuel lines to plumb the 850 Holley. 130 GPM Holley mechanical pump.
My dad never got to hear his motor run. When I tore it apart my intention was to make it a little better. I think he’d be happy how it turned out.
Sounds like some damned fine work you did.

Back
Top Bottom