Who Gets the 48?

KDB, Toyota and Preacher Joe Fan boys always forget JGR got their start from Hendrick. Oh well, Hendrick has a little way to go to surpass Gibbs again IMO

But but but Barney Visser's PR statement said it wasn't Joe's fault!!!! That's all that matters!!!!!! :sarcasm:

well and then he disappeared for a year after it wasnt proven even remotely close and now he/she has come out of the woodwork. the only insider I trust on here is Allenbaba.

One of these days, I am gonna get the last laugh on the Dodge, but admittedly it will be a couple of years down the road at this point. To the matter at hand, we are a full 8 to 9 months before it will be settled. A lot can happen.

This ones really a no brainer. Chastain will take the slot.

I hope so, I'd like to see some watermelon smashing in Cup. I am a little concerned about his short tracking/road course skills, but he's still developing.

Allgaier to me is the most complete driver in xfinity on pure driving talent at all tracks. Extremely underrated as some type of journeyman, when he's never had a legit chance at the Cup level in elite equipment, looking at his stats in the 51 he got good value finishes, for what it was. They could use some aged experience at HMS, he brings that, I could see why they might choose Ross over him though.

I hope so, I'd like to see some watermelon smashing in Cup. I am a little concerned about his short tracking/road course skills, but he's still developing.

Allgaier to me is the most complete driver in xfinity on pure driving talent at all tracks. Extremely underrated as some type of journeyman, when he's never had a legit chance at the Cup level in elite equipment, looking at his stats in the 51 he got good value finishes, for what it was. They could use some aged experience at HMS, he brings that, I could see why they might choose Ross over him though.
I like Justin but he's a long shot, Ross has proven he deserves a shot and has cruelly gone through heartbreaking ride losses. He's a talent.

So we don't fill the retirement thread with rumors. My bet would be they bring in someone with experience, Hendrick has gone with 2 rookies and a young guy who only drove junk as its last 3 new drivers.
well this is my quote maybe Rick could convince either Matt or just maybe Carl I know I know what those guys said they would not
come back to cup at least those two have experience.

I don't think there is any need for a experienced Cup driver beginning 2021.
The cars will be quite different and every driver has quite a bit of experience.
Use JJ as an example, JG saw something in him but his record doesn't scream that he will be the next superstar. Actually he wasn't shown to be better than Dick Trickle. What Jeff saw I think was a real athlete with a personality that fit the Hendrick mold.
HMS already has 3 up and comers and I am quite sure 2 of them will be the new JG/JJ for HMS. Drop the 48, bring back the 25 and hire your next top 25 driver that can really keep the sponsors happy and footing the bill.

Legit
A. A 2019 Chase driver
B. Gragson
C. What I believe to be a bonafide xfin star for 2020 given who all is moving to Cup.

Well, he would fit the profile A. 2019 Chase driver...

If you want to buy the premise (not sure I do) then realistically it would be Larson or or Jones. I'm not sold on the Larson thing for multiple reasons.

1) Unless Chip freely lets him go, would Hendrick actually poach a driver from a team he has a business relationship with, and a fellow Chevy team at that?
2) Would Larson be willing to cut back on his open wheel racing, or would Rick relent and let him do it?
3) If Kyle wants to race at Indy, how would this affect that?
4) Does Kyle REALLY have the commitment to NASCAR that Rick would want?
5) Kyle seems to be too much of a one trick pony for my taste. Yes, he's VERY good at some tracks, but he's underwhelming at a lot of others. Even his ace in the hole of being great at Homestead doesn't mean much now that's it's not the final race.

I could sooner believe Jones, but ONLY if TRD-Gibbs tries to demote him to the B-team, and that still begs the question of why he has been underwhelming in the fastest equipment out there? I actually thought he was MORE impressive when he drove for Barney, at least as far as expectations go. He also doesn't see as "GQ" for lack of a better term than most of the Hendrick drivers have been over the years.

Can't argue any of those points. Larson is as talented as most if not more but he seems perfectly content with the idea of making a living running dirt three or four nights a week. With what he has made as a Cup driver I am sure he could do easily.

What's the status on kybos contract? Back to hms and Chevy where it all began!:D

Rick helped many owners get started in NASCAR once they joined. Sabates, Haas, Stewart, among others....oh, that includes Gibbs too! How funny is that. Joe Gibbs got his start in racing thanks to Rick Hendrick. Yes, JGR actually existed before Toyota came along. Who woulda thunk it?

You know the JGR slogan: if you can't beat 'em, steal their top talent and force them out of business! But somehow Johnson retiring and Stenhouse FINALLY getting kicked to the curb for a better driver is comparable to all the stuff JGR has done.

We can continue to explain this stuff over and over and over again, but why? It always falls on deaf ears.
Holy **** I forget that JGR was a Chevy team!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Too Bad Reddick couldn't wait on more year.

Kid looks like a future star.

Holy sh!t I forget that JGR was a Chevy team!

Yep. The reason the 18 car IS the 18 car is because that was HMS's R&D team that was GOING TO BE a fourth full time HMS team, at one point with Greg Sacks, Gary Dehart as crew chief and Ultra Slim Fast as a sponsor. They did 12 races with that team in 1990, plus Sacks filled in for an injured Darrell Waltrip. I can't remember what killed that deal, but it seems to me that Slim Fast got hinky about something (perhaps Sacks) and they walked. When Gibbs was looking to get into NASCAR, I believe Rick made him a deal on the whole team, number and all. I think the 18 number came about because Rick registered it with NASCAR to use as "Russ Wheeler's" Hardees car for the Days of Thunder filming. Kind of ironic that after getting canned from HMS, Kyle ends up driving for a team that once WAS part of HMS, and that the guy that fancies himself as Rowdy Burns should actually be Russ Wheeler.

Gosh, I wish Hardee's was still in this sport. I could see them giving free sausage biscuits for a top 10.

But I digress. This decision is months down the road.

My bold prediction is Carl Edwards will come out of retirement to drive the 48 car.

I'm definitely betting on Gragson. Hendrick seems all aboard the youth train.

If you want to buy the premise (not sure I do) then realistically it would be Larson or or Jones. I'm not sold on the Larson thing for multiple reasons.

1) Unless Chip freely lets him go, would Hendrick actually poach a driver from a team he has a business relationship with, and a fellow Chevy team at that?
2) Would Larson be willing to cut back on his open wheel racing, or would Rick relent and let him do it?
3) If Kyle wants to race at Indy, how would this affect that?
4) Does Kyle REALLY have the commitment to NASCAR that Rick would want?
5) Kyle seems to be too much of a one trick pony for my taste. Yes, he's VERY good at some tracks, but he's underwhelming at a lot of others. Even his ace in the hole of being great at Homestead doesn't mean much now that's it's not the final race.

I could sooner believe Jones, but ONLY if TRD-Gibbs tries to demote him to the B-team, and that still begs the question of why he has been underwhelming in the fastest equipment out there? I actually thought he was MORE impressive when he drove for Barney, at least as far as expectations go. He also doesn't see as "GQ" for lack of a better term than most of the Hendrick drivers have been over the years.
KB and DH rule JGR and I doubt any driver will show his potential while that is the situation. I think that is why CE quit.

I’d love to see Ross Chastain in the 48! With upper level equipment he’d be a threat every season. Hopefully he can make a major early impact in this upcoming Xfinity season to give himself consideration.

Martin Truex would beg to differ. In my opinion, he was the best of the three VERY GOOD TRD/Gibbs cars, they just came up short when it REALLY counted.
Truex wasn't in the same boat as the other drivers promoted to a cup ride (to soon). I am quite sure that when the offer was made by JGR, Truex and Pearn had specific terms that would never allow any more shenanigans such as what Adam displayed previously.
The 78 team was in a position to make their demands to any perspective teams wanting to hire them. I am pretty sure Toyota made their position regarding this team well known to JGR.

You mentioned Carl Edwards. That scenario doesn't seem to apply to his situation at all. Carl came to JGR basically as an equal credential wise to Kyle and Denny, just as Truex did. I don't really buy the premise anyway. IF the 18 and 11 teams are the problem, yet TRD/Gibbs could sit on them for the benefit of Truex, why couldn't/wouldn't they do it for Suarez or Jones? It seems to me that TRD/Gibbs has/had an awful lot invested in those two to let them fail over something they could control.

I would be intrigued at Corey LaJoie getting a run in the 48.

You mentioned Carl Edwards. That scenario doesn't seem to apply to his situation at all. Carl came to JGR basically as an equal credential wise to Kyle and Denny, just as Truex did. I don't really buy the premise anyway. IF the 18 and 11 teams are the problem, yet TRD/Gibbs could sit on them for the benefit of Truex, why couldn't/wouldn't they do it for Suarez or Jones? It seems to me that TRD/Gibbs has/had an awful lot invested in those two to let them fail over something they could control.
Name a new young driver from an Xfinity series that has done well at JGR while KB and DH have been the stars and have the best sponsors?????
Truex/Pearn were champions who could dictate certain terms.

Saw this on Reddit. Dude looks good in those Ally colors
A119877D-8CDD-4C04-A302-2A6584EB645F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom