WNBA

And now a second Angel Reese interview.

ESPN really is as awful as people say it is. Arike goes nuclear and they’re just desperate to make Angel the star.

Note to the usual suspects on X: THIS is why Angel Reese is so hated. She’s being forced on us because of political agendas.

It’s automatic. Her rebound ability is god tier in this league.

Everything else? Major work in progress. But she’s got insanely long arms and legs.
I think she actually finished quite well at the rim yesterday, and made some tough baskets against some great post players. She just needs to do that more consistently.

The 2028 squad is going to be a changing of the guard and it’ll be on home soil in LA. I think that’s fitting.

The Olympic team could use another point guard and Clark would’ve been perfect for that. If the selection took place one month later after she had gotten her feet under her, maybe that happens. But her 3PT shot has fallen flat for a bit now and this break will let her get her legs back under her for the closing stretch.

The 2028 squad is going to be a changing of the guard and it’ll be on home soil in LA. I think that’s fitting.

The Olympic team could use another point guard and Clark would’ve been perfect for that. If the selection took place one month later after she had gotten her feet under her, maybe that happens. But her 3PT shot has fallen flat for a bit now and this break will let her get her legs back under her for the closing stretch.
Caitlin definitely needs the break. She’s been wide open since last October.

Moreso than any other rookie because of the media circus and endorsement deals and such.

What she and Angel have done performance wise is remarkable.

That was a good All-Star game. It was a good, clean game for the most part - not a lot of fouls. Both teams were definitely getting gassed at times due to the lack of stoppages, LOL. The girls played hard and looked like they were having a blast. Smiles all around. Like one of the players said, possibly A'ja Wilson, just because a game is competitive doesn't mean it can't be fun.

I'm not at all concerned about the Olympic Team or who was selected for it based on their All-Star game loss. They'll be fine. All the girls who were on the court last night can ball, but you only get 12 roster spots. Somebody good will inevitably be left out. It is what it is. It's the same problem the WNBA has with the lack of teams. The teams often have to drop players that they draft, not because they're not good, but because they just don't have room on their rosters for them.

It was awesome to see Cheryl Miller again, who I hadn't seen since she was a sideline reporter for the NBA games on TNT. She had me cracking up during her mic'd up moments. :lol2:

Cheryl Miller was fun to watch as coach of the team. The other "coach" didn't do as well. :)
That was a good All-Star game. It was a good, clean game for the most part - not a lot of fouls. Both teams were definitely getting gassed at times due to the lack of stoppages, LOL. The girls played hard and looked like they were having a blast. Smiles all around. Like one of the players said, possibly A'ja Wilson, just because a game is competitive doesn't mean it can't be fun.

I'm not at all concerned about the Olympic Team or who was selected for it based on their All-Star game loss. They'll be fine. All the girls who were on the court last night can ball, but you only get 12 roster spots. Somebody good will inevitably be left out. It is what it is. It's the same problem the WNBA has with the lack of teams. The teams often have to drop players that they draft, not because they're not good, but because they just don't have room on their rosters for them.

It was awesome to see Cheryl Miller again, who I hadn't seen since she was a sideline reporter for the NBA games on TNT. She had me cracking up during her mic'd up moments. :lol2:
So, you agree with me. :)

One player who wasn't too pleased with the outcome was Diana Taurasi. When the game was finished they showed her talking to the team in a not so pleasant manner. Then, she kinda stormed out of the playing area..

So, you agree with me. :)

One player who wasn't too pleased with the outcome was Diana Taurasi. When the game was finished they showed her talking to the team in a not so pleasant manner. Then, she kinda stormed out of the playing area..
Not completely, no, but I really don't care to debate it. I'm also not the least bit surprised to hear that the ultra-competitive DT was apparently upset after the loss. Again, I'm not worried about the Olympic Team. They'll be fine.

Not completely, no, but I really don't care to debate it. I'm also not the least bit surprised to hear that the ultra-competitive DT was apparently upset after the loss.
I think that you may have missed my point. My comment on the "agreement" was about coach Cheryl Miller.

No question they’ll be fine. They’ve not lost an Olympic match since 1992 and they have plenty of talent. Even the men’s team needed a 40 year-old LeBron to bail them out in a 1-point exhibition game against South Sudan yesterday, so it’s not like tuneup games are anything to panic about. I do think having only one true point guard, with lingering injury issues, is a weakness.

I think it was good that Miller encouraged them to play fast and free. I think the Olympians got bogged down in trying to do half-court too much.

On an unimportant note, I was glad to see Angel Reese rocking the headband again. It was really weird seeing her without it for the last couple of games.

I've mentioned the bad, high entry passes the Sky players make to Reese and Cardoso at times, where they'll basically be under the basket with defenders' arms flailing around in their faces, and their teammates just lob it up there any kind of way and expect them to be able to extend, catch, and finish with a layup. I'm not a coach and don't know if that's being done by design, but it seems like they just roll the dice whenever they do that, and there's a 50/50 chance it will be broken up or the bigs won't be able to finish. It's the one thing I haven't liked watching them do.

Well, there was a sequence during the All-Star game where Angel caught a tough, high outlet pass like that on a fast break and finished the layup, and the announcers marveled at it, wondering how she did it. I just laughed and was like "oh, that was a Chicago pass. She's used to corralling all that junk they beam up there for her." :lol2: 🤦‍♂️

I was a little disappointed that they didn't ask Caitlin the same question during her interview, but I'm sure she would have said something similar. And yes, if they stay healthy, they will obviously be Olympians together in the future. ^_^

I was a little disappointed that they didn't ask Caitlin the same question during her interview, but I'm sure she would have said something similar. And yes, if they stay healthy, they will obviously be Olympians together in the future. ^_^

Did they have a postgame interview with Caitlin Clark? I turned it off and went to bed part of the way into the second Angel Reese interview.

It was great to see these two play as teammates and I can't wait for them to do so again in Los Angeles in 2028.

I feel bad for Angel Reese. It's really not her fault that ESPN's agenda is making people hate her.

Did they have a postgame interview with Caitlin Clark? I turned it off and went to bed part of the way into the second Angel Reese interview.

It was great to see these two play as teammates and I can't wait for them to do so again in Los Angeles in 2028.

I feel bad for Angel Reese. It's really not her fault that ESPN's agenda is making people hate her.
I dunno. The interview I'm talking about was done while Caitlin was on the bench, like that Angel interview from FL's tweet. They also interviewed Arike Ogunbowale a couple of times, after she went off in the 3rd quarter, I believe, and after she won All-Star MVP.

I don't know what agenda you're referring to, but I also don't watch any ESPN beyond the replays of their games. In general, I like the local and League Pass coverage better than theirs.

I dunno. The interview I'm talking about was done while Caitlin was on the bench, like that Angel interview from FL's tweet. They also interviewed Arike Ogunbowale a couple of times, after she went off in the 3rd quarter and after she won All-Star MVP.

I don't know what agenda you're referring to, but I also don't watch any ESPN beyond the replays of their games. In general, I like the local and League Pass coverage better than theirs.

I keep forgetting ESPN does those in-game interviews with players and coaches. They do it on regular season games too.

That would piss me off, if I was a coach, to be talking to an ESPN reporter during actual gameplay.

I've gotten used to ION's coverage.

I keep forgetting ESPN does those in-game interviews with players and coaches. They do it on regular season games too.

That would piss me off, if I was a coach, to be talking to an ESPN reporter during actual gameplay.

I've gotten used to ION's coverage.
Man, thank you! I've said the same thing. The coaches always look happy to rip those headsets off. During the All-Star game, it's whatever, but in the middle of a regular game, no. I'm definitely cool with them being mic'd up, but they don't need to be interviewed while they're trying to work. Leave them alone.

Coverage-wise, everything but ESPN so far has been solid. That one local commentator for the Storm, Dick Fain, drives me nuts sometimes, LOL. He definitely knows the game and his players and stuff and can get you hyped, and he does give other players credit for things they do, but dude, he's such a homer. I get that the local commentators are supposed to be homers, but he's just ridiculously over the top with it at times.

During one of the Storm/Sky games, the Storm started pulling away from the Sky (this was the game when Chennedy Carter committed that silly flagrant foul on Jewell Loyd, so he was already extra amped up). Somebody on the Storm scored with plenty of time left, and this guy just starts screaming "AND THE STORM ARE GONNA SEND CHICAGO OUTTA HERE WITH AN L!!!", as if the Sky were the Las Vegas Olympic Team or something. He did it a couple of times. I definitely have a love/hate thing going on with that guy. :XXROFL:

No question they’ll be fine. They’ve not lost an Olympic match since 1992 and they have plenty of talent. Even the men’s team needed a 40 year-old LeBron to bail them out in a 1-point exhibition game against South Sudan yesterday, so it’s not like tuneup games are anything to panic about. I do think having only one true point guard, with lingering injury issues, is a weakness.

I think it was good that Miller encouraged them to play fast and free. I think the Olympians got bogged down in trying to do half-court too much.
Perhaps, but all is not lost in that regard. They also have the Command Tower, Alyssa Thomas, who's obviously plenty capable of facilitating the offense, and Kelsey Plum and Jewell Loyd can handle PG duties if needed. It's all good. 👍

It looks like WB Discovery has matched Amazon's offer and will keep the NBA.

Not sure what this means for the W yet.
The NBA is probably gonna find a way to argue that it’s not a true match (Prime Video has more subscribers than TNT + Max) and go ahead with Amazon. WBD may get a settlement offer out of it since the league won’t want to go to litigation.

The NBA is probably gonna find a way to argue that it’s not a true match (Prime Video has more subscribers than TNT + Max) and go ahead with Amazon. WBD may get a settlement offer out of it since the league won’t want to go to litigation.
I think I saw something about Amazon saying they will pay up front.

Today (Tues.) at 3 pm FS1
Olympic team vs Germany

So a funny thing happened.

I looked at my Give-A-Damn-O-Meter and it's just not working. It's acting like it won't turn on.

Really not sure why. I mean, they said they selected the best players in the country on merit alone. So, I should be interested in this.

I mean, since it's on merit alone, I know my girl Caitlin and @Mr. Gregory's girl Angel will be out there balling out, Caitlin with the quick passes and threes and Angel with them rebounds.

I'm also sure Arike will be out there dropping threes and elevating this team.

So I can't figure out why I'm not interested in watching.

I looked at my Give-A-Damn-O-Meter and it's just not working. It's acting like it won't turn on.

Really not sure why. I mean, they said they selected the best players in the country on merit alone. So, I should be interested in this.

I mean, since it's on merit alone, I know my girl Caitlin and @Mr. Gregory's girl Angel will be out there balling out, Caitlin with the quick passes and threes and Angel with them rebounds.

Oh, will you stop it? :XXROFL:

I'm not big on the Olympics anymore, but I may have to DVR the girls or see if I can find them on demand somewhere. If not, I'll just have to read about their exploits. Phee :wub: is playing, and I haven't gotten to see much of her yet this season, so that's enough of an incentive. Still gotta figure this avatar situation out. It's rough rockin' this plain ol' capital M. 😕

Oh, will you stop it? :XXROFL:

I'm not big on the Olympics anymore, but I may have to DVR the girls or see if I can find them on demand somewhere. If not, I'll just have to read about their exploits. Phee :wub: is playing, and I haven't gotten to see much of her yet this season, so that's enough of an incentive. Still gotta figure this avatar situation out. It's rough rockin' this plain ol' capital M. 😕

No.

1721761111319.png

Peacock.

"The WNBA All-Stars’ win, which peaked with 4.05 million viewers from 10:30 PM ET through the conclusion, was the weekend’s top television program in adults 18-49 and 25-54."

Caitlin Clark Effect.

For the record, my tweet was:

No Caitlin.

No Angel.

No cares given.
LOL, I was just playfully riffing off of that weird propaganda picture you posted with a gif from the video of that awkward Zoom call with Angel, Coach Spoon, and Marina. :lol2:

There are valid reasons all of them were left off the team, especially at the time of the decision-making process.

2028 will be the dawn of a new era.

And now a second Angel Reese interview.

ESPN really is as awful as people say it is. Arike goes nuclear and they’re just desperate to make Angel the star.

Note to the usual suspects on X: THIS is why Angel Reese is so hated. She’s being forced on us because of political agendas.
Just a little blast from the past just for you Andy.:espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux:

:espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux::espnsux:

Five WNBA Finals on Disney networks, three each for NBCU and Prime Video.

Under the new agreements, the partners will distribute more than 125 regular-season and playoff games nationally each season, including a minimum of 25 regular-season games on Disney platforms, 50 regular-season games on NBCU platforms and 30 regular-season games on Prime Video. Additionally, Disney and NBCU will distribute games in key international markets, and Prime Video will distribute games globally to more than 200 million Prime members worldwide.

The new deals will also provide access for fans throughout the WNBA Playoffs and Finals. Disney will telecast two first-round series per year while NBCU and Prime Video will each telecast one first-round series annually. The Semifinals and Finals series will rotate over the 11-year term, with Disney distributing eight Semifinals series and five Finals, and Prime Video and NBCU each distributing seven Semifinals series and three Finals.

I wonder why all of a sudden the WNBA has become so popular? All these years and in 2024 it skyrockets with sold out arenas and great TV viewership.
Honestly, this feels pretty undervalued for a sport in the early stages of a growth phase. Percentage-wise, the W will not be much more of a financial component of the NBA’s new TV deal as a whole. So the bump is pretty much just attributable to the total package exploding (both increasing about threefold), and those within the W aren’t pleased they’re not really getting a bigger allocation.

There’s a look-in clause after three years where they can reevaluate what that financial component is for the W and I imagine they’ll be looking for a pretty hefty bump at that point. It would be much worse if they were locked into the same fees for the entirety of the 11 years.

Huge move by the Sky. They’ve been practicing in a public rec center for a bit and this will make them a much more attractive free agent destination.

I hope all the girls (except for all of the Olympians, of course) have gotten some much needed R&R. Looking forward to seeing them back in action later this week.

I'm really curious to see how Connecticut and Chicago will adjust/change after the trade. For Chicago, I have a feeling that Diamond DeShields will be the biggest beneficiary, along with Michaela Onyenwere, who has definitely earned more playing time in my book.

Obviously, I'm super stoked to see how Connecticut does. Can't wait to see how Marina fits in and to see her and DiJonai, once spicy rivals, together as teammates. If they end up starting together, they're gonna be the feistiest backcourt in the league, and obviously my favorite. ^_^

Also looking forward to seeing Phee back with Minnesota, provided that she's fully healed up, and I'll be keeping an eye on what appears to be a now healthy Dream, too. If they can stay healthy, I could see them sneaking into the playoffs and booting Chicago out. We gon' see.

Back
Top Bottom