WNBA

True, there would not be a WNBA thread on the forum if not for Caitlin Clark.
Again, FALSE! She's the reason, the only reason, why you guys are here, not why "we" collectively are here. :lol2:

I'm up here because this thread exists, but there obviously doesn't have to be a WNBA thread. I was talking about those girls downstairs a couple of years ago, either in the video game thread or the Random thread, when I was playing one of the recent 2K games. There was another thread about Sue Bird down there, which I think was the first time you and I ever discussed women's basketball on here.

Look, continue to enjoy Caitlin. I respect your (plural) fandom. Just understand that there is indeed someone here amongst you who isn't here for her and only her.

Again, FALSE! She's the reason, the only reason, why you guys are here, not why "we" collectively are here. :lol2:

I'm up here because this thread exists, but there obviously doesn't have to be a WNBA thread. I was talking about those girls downstairs a couple of years ago, either in the video game thread or the Random thread, when I was playing one of the recent 2K games. There was another thread about Sue Bird down there, which I think was the first time you and I ever discussed women's basketball on here.

Look, continue to enjoy Caitlin. I respect your (plural) fandom. Just understand that there is indeed someone here amongst you who isn't here for her and only her.

This thread only exists because of the Caitlin Clark Experience.

This thread only exists because of the Caitlin Clark Experience.
You created the thread, so that's fine. Am I supposed to have a problem with that? Because I don't. Last I checked, this thread is titled "WNBA," not "The Caitlin Clark Experience." You're free to be here for the latter just as much as I'm free to be here for the former. What are we talkin' about? :lol2:

I think that Stewart, Lonescu, and Jones are a trio that will be tough to beat. I don't see any team that comes close to the Liberty.

if the Fever can keep their trio of Clark, Mitchell, and Boston they will also be a team to be reckoned with in the future. They get better almost every game.

I think that Stewart, Lonescu, and Jones are a trio that will be tough to beat. I don't see any team that comes close to the Liberty.

if the Fever can keep their trio of Clark, Mitchell, and Boston they will also be a team to be reckoned with in the future. They get better almost every game.
The Liberty are indeed a tough superteam, but don't forget about the Las Vegas Olympic Team. I know the Liberty have beaten them twice this year (not 100% sure since I don't follow either team, but I think Chelsea Gray might have been out for that first game), but Vegas has obviously won back-to-back championships and beat the Liberty 3-1 in the Finals last year. If anybody has anything for the Liberty this year, it'll be them.

Caitlin Clark drew more viewers on ****** ION on a Friday night than CBS could get on Saturday.

Just wild.

Only player that matters.

No question that CC is by far the biggest draw in the league. She’s probably already proven herself to be a TV multiplier in the same stratosphere as Tiger Woods and Serena Williams. But the numbers indicate she’s producing a halo effect boosting the figures around the league’s other games as well. Games not involving Indiana are doing a lot better than they had in past years. And I think the W will be really happy with that.

Connecticut are playing their first game ever at the Garden in Boston tonight against LA and sold it out pretty quickly, which is also a really nice sign.

Paige Bueckers is a star in her own right and a top-2 pick at worst next year, and JuJu Watkins might break CC’s college scoring record by the time she’s done in 2027. The league has to be pretty ecstatic with the current trajectory and the future outlook is only better. I’d give it a year or two before the Fever are making a Finals appearance and really going gangbusters in the TV figures.

No question that CC is by far the biggest draw in the league. She’s probably already proven herself to be a TV multiplier in the same stratosphere as Tiger Woods and Serena Williams. But the numbers indicate she’s producing a halo effect boosting the figures around the league’s other games as well. Games not involving Indiana are doing a lot better than they had in past years. And I think the W will be really happy with that.

Connecticut are playing their first game ever at the Garden in Boston tonight against LA and sold it out pretty quickly, which is also a really nice sign.

Paige Bueckers is a star in her own right and a top-2 pick at worst next year, and JuJu Watkins might break CC’s college scoring record by the time she’s done in 2027. The league has to be pretty ecstatic with the current trajectory and the future outlook is only better. I’d give it a year or two before the Fever are making a Finals appearance and really going gangbusters in the TV figures.
I heard The Commish say the other day when the commentators were talking to her during a recent Minnesota game that they want to have 16 teams (again) by 2028. I really hope that happens. That would open up 48 more roster spots for all these talented girls who get cut (and some right after being drafted) purely because there's just no room for them on the team.

I heard The Commish say the other day when the commentators were talking to her during a recent Minnesota game that they want to have 16 teams (again) by 2028. I really hope that happens. That would open up 48 more roster spots for all these talented girls who get cut (and some right after being drafted) purely because there's just no room for them on the team.
I hope we get a team in North Carolina so I can watch Caitlin play in person. 🥰

I casually thought taking the train up to Connecticut to see their game against the Sky on Friday. Tickets to the game are reasonably priced, but I'd have to get those train tickets, and since the game starts at 7:30 p.m., I'd definitely want to book a hotel for the night. I could do it, but ehh...

notstonks.jpg

I think I'll watch them at home on my tablet on Saturday morning instead. 👍

Yeah, the Greensboro Coliseum would be a great place for a new team. The fans in Greensboro are fantastic and Greensboro has proven their worth by hosting the ACC Mans and Womens Tournaments. (HaHA, and I would only have a very short distance to drive.

The W better be careful. If the refs give Caitlin more ridiculous technical fouls and disallows her to play in any of the playoff games there will be hell to pay.

The W better be careful. If the refs give Caitlin more ridiculous technical fouls and disallows her to play in any of the playoff games there will be hell to pay.
I’ve said this before: I think they were heavy handed with how they penalized Caitlin and they let a lot of fouls by other players slide because the league was already being accused of bias from the race baiters on social and ESPN.

And it’s gonna cost them a lot when she gets suspended and nobody watches.

Now that Angel’s insane fans have shown their true colors, they can knock this off now.

She went twelve games before the most recent one, and if they handle it like the NBA then the count is reset for the playoffs anyways. I think she’ll be fine tbh.

I remember seeing a short list of teams they have for the final two spots. Philadelphia kinda seems like a no-brainer to me, and I guess Portland fell through for some reason late last year but is still technically alive and regrouping. I did see South Florida mentioned as a target, but no one regularly attends anything down there. Orlando or ideally Tampa would make a lot more sense. And then there were Denver, Nashville, and Austin. But as with this type of thing in any sport it’ll all depend on which city has the best ownership group working to bring in a team.

Also, an 8-team playoff wouldn’t look so goofy by that point.

She went twelve games before the most recent one, and if they handle it like the NBA then the count is reset for the playoffs anyways. I think she’ll be fine tbh.

Caitlin Clark suspension: Can Fever rookie be penalized after technical foul vs Storm?​

With this foul, Clark has five technical fouls. As per the league's rules, a player is suspended for one game after accumulating seven technical fouls. This could be a major issue for the Fever later in the season or if they make the playoffs.

She is just two techs from missing one game, and if that suspension comes in a playoff game, It would be a big loss for the Fever. Clark is a key to Indiana's success; she is the floor general who is responsible for initiating every offensive play. Clark is also the team's assists leader this season averaging 8.3 assists per game.

Caitlin Clark is safe now, and the technical foul she received against the Seattle Storm will not bar her from playing in future games. However, she has to curb her aggression moving forward.

Caitlin Clark suspension: Can Fever rookie be penalized after technical foul vs Storm?​

With this foul, Clark has five technical fouls. As per the league's rules, a player is suspended for one game after accumulating seven technical fouls. This could be a major issue for the Fever later in the season or if they make the playoffs.

She is just two techs from missing one game, and if that suspension comes in a playoff game, It would be a big loss for the Fever. Clark is a key to Indiana's success; she is the floor general who is responsible for initiating every offensive play. Clark is also the team's assists leader this season averaging 8.3 assists per game.

Caitlin Clark is safe now, and the technical foul she received against the Seattle Storm will not bar her from playing in future games. However, she has to curb her aggression moving forward.
I know people are reporting it like she’s gonna miss a playoff game but the rules aren’t really clear either way as to whether they carry over into the playoffs. Like I said, they reset in the NBA and it doesn’t make any logical sense as to why they would carry over anywhere, but I guess we’ll see regardless. I think she’ll be cognizant that she’s sitting on 5 as well.

I know people are reporting it like she’s gonna miss a playoff game but the rules aren’t really clear either way as to whether they carry over into the playoffs. Like I said, they reset in the NBA and it doesn’t make any logical sense as to why they would carry over anywhere, but I guess we’ll see regardless. I think she’ll be cognizant that she’s sitting on 5 as well.
Like the last line of muggle's quote from that article said, Caitlin's just gotta chill a little, that's all, along with a few others, PHOENIX. 😤 :lol2:

Bad/questionable calls happen, but it's obviously not the refs' or the league's responsibility to ensure that Caitlin doesn't accumulate 7 technical fouls and get suspended. That's on Caitlin, and like you alluded to, she knows it. She doesn't need to be coddled.

You can get one silly tech, or even two like Duncan got all those years ago, but if you've gotten 5, let alone 7, you've earned some of them. I definitely saw her cuss at a ref at least once. I'm not personally affected by that, but that's obviously a great way to get T'd up.

Like the last line of muggle's quote from that article said, Caitlin's just gotta chill a little, that's all, along with a few others, PHOENIX. 😤 :lol2:

Bad/questionable calls happen, but it's obviously not the refs' or the league's responsibility to ensure that Caitlin doesn't accumulate 7 technical fouls and get suspended. That's on Caitlin, and like you alluded to, she knows it. She doesn't need to be coddled.

You can get one silly tech, or even two like Duncan got all those years ago, but if you've gotten 5, let alone 7, you've earned some of them. I definitely saw her cuss at a ref at least once. I'm not personally affected by that, but that's obviously a great way to get T'd up.
If your next game is against a really weak team just go cuss out a ref in the last few minutes of the previous game and moon them, to draw the 7T suspension and reset against the upcoming weak team.

You miss my point. It is the ref's and the leagues responsibility to control bad calls from happening. Regardless of which player they are called on.

I hope you are correct. There would be a lot of unhappy fans if Caitlin does not play and attendance, unfortunately, would drop off significantly.

Dijonai Carrington ... always bitter, all the time.
On one hand, I get it. The league itself didn’t really seem to promote the game at all until yesterday after she tweeted that. And I think everyone was under the assumption it was only available regionally and in League Lass until they decided to simulcast it on Twitter as well. Again, very little advanced notice with that decision.

On the other, you sold out the building well in advance anyways and that itself counts for a lot. Tuesdays aren’t really a regular part of the national TV package, and ESPN has the Little League World Series. Best you could’ve hoped for would probably have been NBA TV if anything.

You miss my point. It is the ref's and the leagues responsibility to control bad calls from happening. Regardless of which player they are called on.
Man, I'm not sweatin' one little ticky-tack tech and wouldn't sweat it no matter who it got called on. It just doesn't matter to me in the grand scheme of things, in a professional sports league where unquestionably bad calls are made by very human refs all the time.

Yes, it's obviously the refs' responsibility to call things properly. It's also obviously Caitlin's responsibility to keep her emotions in check and not get to 7 techs, just like everyone else in the league. She's not special in that regard. You're not gonna get T'd up enough times to be suspended if you haven't earned at least some of them. You're just not. It doesn't work like that.

On one hand, I get it. The league itself didn’t really seem to promote the game at all until yesterday after she tweeted that. And I think everyone was under the assumption it was only available regionally and in League Lass until they decided to simulcast it on Twitter as well. Again, very little advanced notice with that decision.

On the other, you sold out the building well in advance anyways and that itself counts for a lot. Tuesdays aren’t really a regular part of the national TV package, and ESPN has the Little League World Series. Best you could’ve hoped for would probably have been NBA TV if anything.
Yeah, that's pretty much my take. DiJonai has a point, but she should be impressed (and I'm sure she is) that they actually sold that many tickets without the game being promoted much. Also, honestly, League Pass is a steal right now. They're pretty much giving it away. Anyone who's even remotely interested in the WNBA should have it. I'll happily watch the game on it later.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take. DiJonai has a point, but she should be impressed (and I'm sure she is) that they actually sold that many tickets without the game being promoted much. Also, honestly, League Pass is a steal right now. They're pretty much giving it away. Anyone who's even remotely interested in the WNBA should have it. I'll happily watch the game on it later.

$34.99/year is an insane deal.

Meanwhile, the NFL is all up in my YouTube asking for $120/month for me to watch Trevor Lawrence turnovers every Sunday.

$34.99/year is an insane deal.

Meanwhile, the NFL is all up in my YouTube asking for $120/month for me to watch Trevor Lawrence turnovers every Sunday.
When I signed up for it this year, I reasoned that I wouldn't miss the $35 regardless of whether or not I ultimately ended up following the W. Today, I can't help but wonder why I waited so long to sign up and start watching it. It's great. I can watch every game (ever) that I want to watch, on my time and my terms. I love it.

Of course, the price will surely go up as the popularity of the league increases. Not sure how I would feel about a WNBA League Pass that costs as much as the NBA League Pass does. I'd have to think about that one.

When I signed up for it this year, I reasoned that I wouldn't miss the $35 regardless of whether or not I ultimately ended up following the W. Today, I can't help but wonder why I waited so long to sign up and start watching it. It's great. I can watch every game (ever) that I want to watch, on my time and my terms. I love it.

Of course, the price will surely go up as the popularity of the league increases. Not sure how I would feel about a WNBA League Pass that costs as much as the NBA League Pass does. I'd have to think about that one.

I know exactly why I waited so long to sign up and start watching it. 🤷‍♂️

Off topic on my part.
The Little League World Series are fun to watch. they play some good baseball. When I was in my "teens" I lived near South Williamsport and watched the Series for 2 consecutive years.

I know exactly why I waited so long to sign up and start watching it. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, I mean, you started watching from the beginning of this season (if not the preseason). I signed up before the season started but didn't start watching until June 16th. The Fever/Sky game that day was my first one this season. Been hooked ever since.

Good article on Caitlin Clark for fans of her:

Caitlin Clark drops ‘full-circle’ admission on Maya Moore’s Lynx jersey retirement​

To each their own, but you can technically watch all of the games commercial-free on League Pass if you just wait until after they air. You can hide scores in the WNBA app and therefore avoid spoilers. This effectively gives you the same experience as if you watched the game live (only minus commercials, halftime, etc.). That's how I've been doing it, since I'm an early bird these days and can't stay up super late.

To each their own, but you can technically watch all of the games commercial-free on League Pass if you just wait until after they air. You can hide scores in the WNBA app and therefore avoid spoilers. This effectively gives you the same experience as if you watched the game live (only minus commercials, halftime, etc.). That's how I've been doing it, since I'm an early bird these days and can't stay up super late.
I have it through YouTube. Which works best for me since it integrates with YouTuvbe TV AND can be watched on YouTube itself.

I have it through YouTube. Which works best for me since it integrates with YouTuvbe TV AND can be watched on YouTube itself.
I thought about doing it like that since I have a YouTube TV subscription, but I seem to remember it costing more than the regular standalone League Pass, and I didn't want them tied together, so I just signed up for the standalone League Pass instead and am using the WNBA app. I haven't had any issues with it so far.

Back
Top Bottom