WNBA

Let’s check in on that impending reality Diana Taurasi warned us about.

View attachment 79841

View attachment 79842
Now, let's not get it twisted. Caitlin has definitely been "welcomed" to the league. The vets have been rough with her, as they have with Angel and every other rookie that has come through. It has indeed been very physical, and they've given her nothing. She's earned it and has earned DT's respect.

I've watched all three four of Thursday's and Friday's games that I wanted to see: Sky/Mercury and Lynx/Mystics from Thursday, and Fever/Mercury and Wings/Sun from Friday.
...derp. How many games did I watch? :lol2:

pheeshrug_400.jpg

Getting close to 3:30 and a Sunday afternoon of enjoyment. My favorite player is just so much fun to watch. No other player comes close to the excitement she brings to the game.

Mercury coach has good things to say about Clark and Kelsey.

"I'm Not Sure How She Was Getting Open": Mercury Head Coach Nate Tibbetts Commends Fever Duo's Partnership Despite Narrow Loss​

I have said it previously and will again. i would take Cardosa over Reese. Cardoso will end up being more valuable to the Sky.
Kamilla Cardoso is arguably a much more impactful player than Angel Reese. Let’s not forget “the streak” did not start until Kamilla Cardoso started.

Angel Reese has terrible mechanics all around. And it is almost as if she did not take advantage of the Olympic Break to improve her game in any way. She has long arms and legs and has more energy than anyone on the court, that’s it.

The way the media focuses on her double doubles genuinely devalues them. They made a big deal of it again yesterday while Kamilla Cardoso recorded one as well and had much better stats with less playing time.

Chicago has convinced themselves the defense runs through Angel Reese so much that they bench Kamilla Cardoso for entire quarters so Angel can pad stats.

I have WNBA League Pass but I cannot get todays Fever game thru Amazon Prime.. What is the problem. I thought all WNBA games were accessible with League Pass.

I have WNBA League Pass but I cannot get todays Fever game thru Amazon Prime.. What is the problem. I thought all WNBA games were accessible with League Pass.
National TV games (ABC, ESPN/2, CBS, CBSSN, Prime) are blacked out live. It’s on ABC today. They post replays shortly after I think though.

Now, let's not get it twisted. Caitlin has definitely been "welcomed" to the league. The vets have been rough with her, as they have with Angel and every other rookie that has come through. It has indeed been very physical, and they've given her nothing. She's earned it and has earned DT's respect.
She’s gotten knocked around quite a bit again today. Looked like the first ~ 15 games or so again. Powering through it though.

That was a first-half rock fight, and then Indiana just exploded in the second half. Kelsey Mitchell kept them in the game early while CC’s jumper was cold. She decided to drive to the basket in the second half and it paid dividends. Made tough baskets at the rim and drew enough attention to kick to Hull and Mitchell outside for a barrage of 3s. Fantastic performances by the three of them and another win over a playoff team.

I like how the Fever came back after starting fairly poorly. Good to see Hull with a good game. If Hull starts scoring it will greatly add to the Fever's game. And Boston although she didn't have a big game scoring had 15 rebounds and 3 assists I believe.

That was a first-half rock fight, and then Indiana just exploded in the second half. Kelsey Mitchell kept them in the game early while CC’s jumper was cold. She decided to drive to the basket in the second half and it paid dividends. Made tough baskets at the rim and drew enough attention to kick to Hull and Mitchell outside for a barrage of 3s. Fantastic performances by the three of them and another win over a playoff team.

They really need to get Kelsey Mitchell locked in.

I have a feeling free agencies are about to get wild in the WNBA though with all the money Caitlin Clark is bringing into the league.

Ay, I'm tellin' you guys, watch out for Atlanta. They're fully healthy now, minus Cheyenne Parker-Tyus and Aerial Powers, and they're dangerous. They came back and beat the Storm in a thrilling finish on Friday, and they won another close game against Connecticut today. They're only two games behind Chicago for the 8th seed. If they can stay healthy, they could definitely sneak into the playoffs.

The Mystics are also fully healthy now, but they're at the bottom of the standings thanks to all their prior injuries and their subsequent abysmal start to the season, so it might be too late for them.

Gonna be real interesting to see who ultimately makes it.

Actually, the Mystics are mostly healthy. Karlie Samuelson (Katie Lou's older sister), who just came back from a hand injury, I believe, went down again with a freak knee injury early in the game yesterday against Minnesota. She never returned to the game. Not sure when she'll be back. I think they might still have another player out, too - can't remember who.

Ay, I'm tellin' you guys, watch out for Atlanta. They're fully healthy now, minus Cheyenne Parker-Tyus and Aerial Powers, and they're dangerous. They came back and beat the Storm in a thrilling finish on Friday, and they won another close game against Connecticut today. They're only two games behind Chicago for the 8th seed. If they can stay healthy, they could definitely sneak into the playoffs.

The Mystics are also fully healthy now, but they're at the bottom of the standings thanks to all their prior injuries and their subsequent abysmal start to the season, so it might be too late for them.

Gonna be real interesting to see who ultimately makes it.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they pass Chicago for the 8 seed. Two teams going in different directions. I caught the end of their game against the Sun today as well and the guard Canada (forget first name) impressed me as well.

Haven’t seen any highlights yet, but looks like Angel Reese is playing a very good game tonight as far as the box score indicates - one point away from a 20-20 game as she’s subbed out with a few minutes left with the loss a foregone conclusion. As I type this, the Sky are 0/14 from 3…good lord. The rest of this season is obviously a wash, but over the offseason that team needs to get some guard play beyond Chennedy Carter. Perimeter shooting will only space the floor to give Reese and Cardoso more room to go to work inside.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they pass Chicago for the 8 seed. Two teams going in different directions. I caught the end of their game against the Sun today as well and the guard Canada (forget first name) impressed me as well.

Haven’t seen any highlights yet, but looks like Angel Reese is playing a very good game tonight as far as the box score indicates - one point away from a 20-20 game as she’s subbed out with a few minutes left with the loss a foregone conclusion. As I type this, the Sky are 0/14 from 3…good lord. The rest of this season is obviously a wash, but over the offseason that team needs to get some guard play beyond Chennedy Carter. Perimeter shooting will only space the floor to give Reese and Cardoso more room to go to work inside.
Yessir, Jordin Canada. She looked like Allen Iverson (same number, a headband, and braids, LOL), just chucking herself into the paint and across the floor with reckless abandon. She's fearless. The Dream have a good roster and are fun to watch.

I hope the boot that Cheyenne Parker-Tyus was in for the rest of the game against the Sun was just precautionary. No return timetable yet for Aerial Powers, who was lookin' fine on the bench yesterday, but she should hopefully be back sooner rather than later, according to a recent update she gave on YouTube. She's another one who had just come back from an injury, was playing well, and then got hurt again. :(

Like someone said in a YouTube video/podcast after the trade went down, Chicago did what they had to do to accommodate Marina's request. With the future Connecticut draft picks they got, they're pretty much letting this season go and gambling on key players leaving Connecticut in the off-season, given their contract situations, and them subsequently tanking next season. That's why I was saying it's quite possibly now or never for the Sun as far as winning a championship with their current lineup.

The “Angel Reese is ROTY” and “Co-ROTY” talk is back on in sports media. Lol.

I’ve never seen such a massive coordinated effort to try to make someone a star.

The “Angel Reese is ROTY” and “Co-ROTY” talk is back on in sports media. Lol.

I’ve never seen such a massive coordinated effort to try to make someone a star.
Yeah, they should stop that...

I thought it was insane she didn’t go #2 or #3.

Angel Reese is the best rookie right now. She’s having a historically great season, better than Caitlin is. Her stats today alone should cement her for ROTY.
Angel Reese, ROTY frontrunner.
Clark will eventually get there. She's close. But Angel Reese should be ROTY and is going to be an all-time great.
tenor.gif

:lol2: :owquitit:

What is your opinion on the technical foul that was called on Caitlin Clark. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but I think the Ref. was completely wrong. Caitlin slapped the pad because she was mad at herself for missing a shot. Was not near anyone and didn't cuss at anyone.

Caitlin Clark Nearing WNBA Suspension After 'Disrespectful' Technical Foul​

What is your opinion on the technical foul that was called on Caitlin Clark. I don't expect everyone to agree with me but I think the Ref. was completely wrong. Caitlin slapped the pad because she was mad at herself for missing a shot. Was not near anyone and didn't cuss at anyone.

I think most of the basketball world agrees with you.

That's what you get for making predictions before the season is half over. Even the great coach Dawn Staley though has made that mistake.

Caitlin Clark is on the way to be one of the greats of all time if she continues on her current path. She does "it all".

A lot has changed in two months.

I still think there’s a very real possibility they go for the co-ROTY thing, if for no reason than to appease Angel’s radically insane fanbase.

Even when Angel plays like crap, the league itself and the media props her up. She had one good game after two really bad ones and they’re all back on the “Angel is ROTY not Caitlin” shtick.

Granted, I think ESPN is shamelessly trying to bait people into betting on her.

Granted, I never followed Caitlin in college and haven't followed her every move in the WNBA (nor have I watched this particular game yet), but that's about as frustrated as I've ever seen her on a WNBA court. I think I saw her flip out and slap the bench once, LOL.

I don't personally have a problem with the display, but I don't necessarily think that's an unusual call, either. It's definitely ticky-tack, but not unheard of. The refs tend to not like physical displays of anger like that. Over the years, I've seen players in both the NBA and the WNBA get T'd up for all kinds of silly reasons, including for simply for taking their anger out on inanimate objects like that, slamming or kicking the ball or other things.

Sometimes, it really doesn't take much. Remember when Tim Duncan got T'd up and ejected by Joey Crawford for simply laughing while he was sitting on the bench? That's still the most ridiculous one I've ever seen. Crawford got suspended for that. :lol2:

That said, the refs also obviously aren't consistent at all and tend to call whatever they feel like depending on who they are and how they're feeling on any given day. Therefore, I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if you were able to pull up dozens of clips of players having enraged MMA fights with the stanchion and not getting T'd up.

What I'd like to know is, how is Caitlin two technical fouls away from an automatic suspension already? She usually looks pretty calm and composed whenever I see her.

Based on what actually happened I think it is totally wrong for a Ref. to call a technical on a player for showing passion during a game that isn't directed at anything/anyone except to herself. You gotta let them play a little.Caitlin Clark's response to the technical:

“I got a technical for basically being mad at myself because I missed a 3, and then I went and hit the backboard, and he told me it was disrespectful to the game of basketball," Clark said after Indiana's 92-75 win over the Storm on Sunday. "... It reminded me of the technical I got in college, where I said ‘damn it,’ where it’s like a personal frustration. Had nothing to do with my team, had nothing to do with the reffing, had nothing to do with the other team. It’s just because I’m a competitor, and I felt like I should have been making more shots, so…

"But I think he fired me up to continue to play a lot harder. I thought we got a lot better after that. I want to thank him for that. But overall, I thought once we got to that media timeout around 5 minutes in the third quarter, I thought we all kind of took a breath. It was all chaos there for 2 ½ minutes. I think I could have done a better job of regaining my cool but that’s like the fire and passion that just gets me going, its just finding a way to channel that, use that, and I think I did a real good job of that at the end of the third quarter, start of the fourth quarter.”

Granted, I never followed Caitlin in college and haven't followed her every move in the WNBA (nor have I watched this particular game yet), but that's about as frustrated as I've ever seen her on a WNBA court. I think I saw her flip out and slap the bench once, LOL.

I don't personally have a problem with the display, but I don't necessarily think that's an unusual call, either. It's definitely ticky-tack, but not unheard of. The refs tend to not like physical displays of anger like that. Over the years, I've seen players in both the NBA and the WNBA get T'd up for all kinds of silly reasons, including for simply for taking their anger out on inanimate objects like that, slamming or kicking the ball or other things.

Sometimes, it really doesn't take much. Remember when Tim Duncan got T'd up and ejected by Joey Crawford for simply laughing while he was sitting on the bench? That's still the most ridiculous one I've ever seen. Crawford got suspended for that. :lol2:

That said, the refs also obviously aren't consistent at all and tend to call whatever they feel like depending on who they are and how they're feeling on any given day. Therefore, I wouldn't be even remotely surprised if you were able to pull up dozens of clips of players having enraged MMA fights with the stanchion and not getting T'd up.

What I'd like to know is, how is Caitlin two technical fouls away from an automatic suspension already? She usually looks pretty calm and composed whenever I see her.

She'd get a technical foul for just breathing wrong early in the season.

Based on what actually happened I think it is totally wrong for a Ref. to call a technical on a player for showing passion during a game that isn't directed at anything/anyone except to herself. You gotta let them play a little.Caitlin Clark's response to the technical:

“I got a technical for basically being mad at myself because I missed a 3, and then I went and hit the backboard, and he told me it was disrespectful to the game of basketball," Clark said after Indiana's 92-75 win over the Storm on Sunday. "... It reminded me of the technical I got in college, where I said ‘damn it,’ where it’s like a personal frustration. Had nothing to do with my team, had nothing to do with the reffing, had nothing to do with the other team. It’s just because I’m a competitor, and I felt like I should have been making more shots, so…

"But I think he fired me up to continue to play a lot harder. I thought we got a lot better after that. I want to thank him for that. But overall, I thought once we got to that media timeout around 5 minutes in the third quarter, I thought we all kind of took a breath. It was all chaos there for 2 ½ minutes. I think I could have done a better job of regaining my cool but that’s like the fire and passion that just gets me going, its just finding a way to channel that, use that, and I think I did a real good job of that at the end of the third quarter, start of the fourth quarter.”
I know Caitlin's your girl, but maaaaaan, you already know how these refs are. This stuff is almost always a judgment call. Unless somebody gets popped above the chest/shoulders or grabbed out of the air and thrown to the ground, the refs be like

bartidowhatifeellike.jpg

I don't even get upset with them these days. It's not worth it. Chances are, they're eventually gonna make enough bad or questionable calls in the other direction to balance it all out anyway. Regardless, the way I see it, the final outcome of the game shouldn't be coming down to one little ticky-tack technical foul. If it does, you didn't do enough to win.

I don’t really agree with this one from yesterday but it’s not uncommon for that to be called at any level of basketball these days. Generally speaking, she’s very passionate on court and chirps quite a bit, whether it’s at the refs or towards the opposing team. She was like that quite a bit in college as well.

Fwiw, there’s pretty good company to be kept at the top of the tech “leaderboard” - Taurasi and Natasha Cloud are each one away from a suspension, and CC is tied with Arike and Kahleah Copper. Not surprisingly some passionate players themselves.

I don’t really agree with this one from yesterday but it’s not uncommon for that to be called at any level of basketball these days. Generally speaking, she’s very passionate on court and chirps quite a bit, whether it’s at the refs or towards the opposing team. She was like that quite a bit in college as well.

Fwiw, there’s pretty good company to be kept at the top of the tech “leaderboard” - Taurasi and Natasha Cloud are each one away from a suspension, and CC is tied with Arike and Kahleah Copper. Not surprisingly some passionate players themselves.
I think we're all more or less in the same boat on this. Silly ticky-tack T, but it definitely happens.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Phoenix leads the league in technical fouls. That might have changed by now, but I seem to remember hearing a commentator saying that earlier in the season. They frustrate me, because I really want to like them but just can't because of that. Man, DT is a perfectly preserved snapshot of the past for me, I love Kah's persistence and relentlessness, Griner has a beautiful soft touch in close, Cloud is a G running the point, and I like the feisty little cutie Sophie Cunningham.

That said, there's a fine line between being passionate, or even feisty, which I'm down with, and losing your composure and getting T'd up constantly, which I see Phoenix do all the time and find incredibly annoying. Like, can you knuckleheads keep it together and just play some basketball for 40 minutes!?

homerangrycar.jpg

:lol2:

The point is it shouldn't happen!! Heck, Carter pushed Clark to the floor on purpose and didn't get a technical.
Well, it happens, a lot! I dunno what to tell you, man. If I had a dollar for every bad or questionable call I've seen these refs make - not even every such call they've made, just the ones I've seen - I'd be able to treat us all to some MacDonald's.

Also, Chennedy definitely picked up a flagrant foul for that. You need to stop. :lol2:

I know Caitlin's your girl, but maaaaaan, you already know how these refs are. This stuff is almost always a judgment call. Unless somebody gets popped above the chest/shoulders or grabbed out of the air and thrown to the ground, the refs be like

View attachment 79896

I don't even get upset with them these days. It's not worth it. Chances are, they're eventually gonna make enough bad or questionable calls in the other direction to balance it all out anyway. Regardless, the way I see it, the final outcome of the game shouldn't be coming down to one little ticky-tack technical foul. If it does, you didn't do enough to win.
Come on Mr. G, Caitlin is everyone's girl, not just mine. :) Some people accept ridiculous calls, but my whole career I have not accepted things that are wrong and in many cases I have been able to correct them.. If it had been Angel Reese, who is a great player but not my favorite, that was the victim of this callI I would feel the same way.

Come on Mr. G, Caitlin is everyone's girl, not just mine. :) Some people accept ridiculous calls, but my whole career I have not accepted things that are wrong and in many cases I have been able to correct them.. If it had been Angel Reese, who is a great player but not my favorite, that was the victim of this callI I would feel the same way.
I agree 100%.

I told you, man, I'm not in y'all's church...at this moment. I likely feel the same way about Caitlin that you feel about Angel, maybe to a lesser extent. I have nothing bad to say about Caitlin, have a tremendous amount of respect for her, and can give credit where credit is due. I acknowledge her and her massive contribution that she has already made to this league. She's just not my girl right now, and yes, I am a small part of everyone. :XXROFL:

I've been working to develop more of a serenity prayer mentality in my young life. I try to accept the things I cannot change, change the things I can change, and seek wisdom to know the difference.

I don't have a vested financial interest or anything in the WNBA. I'm quite serious and passionate about it like you, but it's also purely entertainment for me. So, I typically just laugh and/or shake my head whenever I see a bad or questionable call made, which happens often. I can be upset and scream at the refs as I'm watching the games on my tablet, and I can take a field trip up to Uncasville and yell and scream at them in person if/when they make bad calls.

Either way, whether I say something or stay silent, I ain't changing those calls, and unless you have some kind of secret clout with the league that I'm unaware of, which is certainly possible, you ain't changing them, either. It's not gonna happen. Ultimately, whether one chooses to accept that or not...

it-is-what-it-is-odafin-tutuola.gif

Back
Top Bottom