WNBA

I wonder if Dijonai Carrington has any thoughts on this since she's always got something to say about Caitlin Clark's white privilege and the injustice her being white is to the rest of the league.

I didn't realize that the Aces used to be the (Silver) Stars. Makes sense that Becky Hammon ended up coaching there, having previously played for them and being an assistant with the Spurs for a while.

Interesting story there. I honestly don't know who to believe. The legal system will sort it out.

The Caitlin Clark effect.

1723671078597.png

She gone.

I've never been one to get into the behind the scenes/office stuff with regard to professional basketball, so this is getting way above my level of understanding, but I heard someone say on a podcast a while back that thanks to the new media deal and whatever collective bargaining agreement will eventually come out of that, there could be some very interesting times ahead regarding players' contracts. I don't remember all the details, but the one person was like "nobody's gonna sign for longer than a year," and everybody else nodded their heads in agreement.

I've never been one to get into the behind the scenes/office stuff with regard to professional basketball, so this is getting way above my level of understanding, but I heard someone say on a podcast a while back that thanks to the new media deal and whatever collective bargaining agreement will eventually come out of that, there could be some very interesting times ahead regarding players' contracts. I don't remember all the details, but the one person was like "nobody's gonna sign for longer than a year," and everybody else nodded their heads in agreement.
I believe we had a post somewhere earlier in this thread about that. Basically, the free agency class in between the 2025 and 2026 seasons is pretty much going to be the entire league bar those on rookie deals and two individuals who have veteran contracts extending into 2026 and beyond. There’ll be a new CBA drafted for 2026 which incorporates the financials from the new TV deal.

I don’t fully know the Kelsey Mitchell backstory, but what I’ve gleaned from some research is that the Fever front office aren’t held in high regard at all, and obviously nor is Sides. KM herself has been with Indy since she was drafted in 2018 and has asked out several different times along the way to no avail. So with her reaching FA after this year she’ll have an opportunity for a change of scenery, to probably go be the leading scorer on a bad team or a sixth man on a contending team for one year before the league-wide reset. She’s a two-time All-Star now, so her prospects will be a lot better now than when she first hit free agency as a youngster who had only ever been on a bad team.

I guess Chennedy Carter has some beef going on with the Sky, and with Marina Mabry gone now too, Chicago is gonna end up a lottery team. Probably for the best.

I guess Chennedy Carter has some beef going on with the Sky, and with Marina Mabry gone now too, Chicago is gonna end up a lottery team. Probably for the best.

Chennedy Carter is a head case from everything I’ve read about her.

That said, I know A LOT of Chicago Sky fans are fed up with Angel Reese.

And last time I scrolled through Twitter, Angel Reese fans were going after A’ja Wilson and Chennedy Carter hard. This is an all time embarrassing fanbase.

Apparently, there was a tweet talking about how Angel is carrying the Sky to the playoffs . Someone replied that they should thank Chennedy and the refs instead and Chennefy Carter liked that tweet.

I’ve said before I really think Angel would be smart to distance herself from her “fans.”

Apparently, there was a tweet talking about how Angel is carrying the Sky to the playoffs . Someone replied that they should thank Chennedy and the refs instead and Chennefy Carter liked that tweet.

I’ve said before I really think Angel would be smart to distance herself from her “fans.”
Chennedy tweeted literally just yesterday her ankle was 100% ready to go for tonight, and then suddenly hours before tipoff she’s out with an “illness”. I really do believe she removed herself from the lineup to prove a point. I said somewhere else in this thread that the Sky go as she goes, and I think they reinforced that tonight.

Mabry already requested a trade and got her wish. Reese fans need to reevaluate whether they want to see her win games or simply rack up double-doubles on inefficient shooting because she’s the only player left to play through.

Chennedy tweeted literally just yesterday her ankle was 100% ready to go for tonight, and then suddenly hours before tipoff she’s out with an “illness”. I really do believe she removed herself from the lineup to prove a point. I said somewhere else in this thread that the Sky go as she goes, and I think they reinforced that tonight.

Mabry already requested a trade and got her wish. Reese fans need to reevaluate whether they want to see her win games or simply rack up double-doubles on inefficient shooting because she’s the only player left to play through.
Not just her fans but the coaches as well.

Chicago seems to be more invested in Angel being the “Double Double Barbie Queen” than anything else.

Griner gave Reese a lesson in Basketball. Griner had a great night against the sky including blocking 6 shots including 3 against Reese. What I like about Griner is her willingness to pass the ball. She also had 6 assists against the Sky while scoring 23 points.

Griner gave Reese a lesson in Basketball. Griner had a great night against the sky including blocking 6 shots including 3 against Reese. What I like about Griner is her willingness to pass the ball. She also had 6 assists against the Sky while scoring 23 points.

Every time I look at stat lines, with the double-doubles she gets literally every game, I think she's going to be one of the all time greats.

Every time I look at video, I'm just dumbfounded. She has long arms and legs, that's about it.

Griner doesn’t have the athleticism she used to, but she has fantastic touch on all of her shots, whether it’s finishing around the rim or on her midrange jumpers.

Every time I look at stat lines, with the double-doubles she gets literally every game, I think she's going to be one of the all time greats.

Every time I look at video, I'm just dumbfounded. She has long arms and legs, that's about it.
She has a long offseason ahead to completely rework her shooting mechanics. Her mechanics are just really bad, she’s quite literally shooting from the hip much of the time. And she has no touch either.

Griner doesn’t have the athleticism she used to, but she has fantastic touch on all of her shots, whether it’s finishing around the rim or on her midrange jumpers.

She has a long offseason ahead to completely rework her shooting mechanics. Her mechanics are just really bad, she’s quite literally shooting from the hip much of the time. And she has no touch either.
There’s a reason she went no 7 instead of no 2 or 3.

And elements of the media are still trying to award her ROTY.

Yeah, I agree. Griner has a nice touch with the ball in both shooting and passing. Also agree that she is past her prime, but still a pretty darn good player.

It looks like reality has arrived for the Double Double Barbie.

Lets not forget that, before the Olympic Break, this team was pissing wins away to shamelessly pad her stats.

455685031_1091435962345159_4028213359343637116_n.jpg

Tough luck for the Mercury getting a road back-to-back right off of three players returning from Paris earlier in the week, but they put up a valiant comeback effort. Indiana just played a great team game. Everyone did their job while Clark and Kelsey Mitchell were exceptional.

Clark was in another universe the first half.
Game total: 29 points, 6 rebounds, 10 assists.
Most important she is an excellent floor general. Her eyes takes in the whole floor.

Is there any question at all who the ROY is.

Most important she is an excellent floor general. Her eyes takes in the whole floor.

ION was straight roasting the Angel Reese ROTY narrative during the broadcast.

On the downside, I know teams make a run but the fever has to prevent teams that are down 28 points from coming back and taking the lead.

ROTY is over with. Better question is where she finishes in MVP voting. Anywhere in the 2-5 range is in play.
On the downside, I know teams make a run but the fever has to prevent teams that are down 28 points from coming back and taking the lead.
They did this the last time they played Phoenix too - blew a 32-point lead and had to clutch up late in the 4th. Makes things interesting, but that often just comes down to lapses in effort and coaching.

ROTY is over with. Better question is where she finishes in MVP voting. Anywhere in the 2-5 range is in play.

They did this the last time they played Phoenix too - blew a 32-point lead and had to clutch up late in the 4th. Makes things interesting, but that often just comes down to lapses in effort and coaching.
And if the Fever continues to lose the big leads it will come back to haunt them eventually.

Dunno what Sue Bird's deal is since she's not playing anymore, but for Diana Taurasi, Breanna Stewart, and any other active players who don't play for the Fever and aren't rolling out the red carpet for Caitlin, I think it's as simple as this:

street-fighter-gaming.gif

Competition, man. They see this new, young threat coming in with all this buzz but who hasn't done anything in their league yet and are getting ready to take it to her. It's easy for you and I as outside observers to feel that all of the other players should be publicly welcoming her with open arms, because a rising tide lifts all boats. However, as Lisa Leslie alludes to in this piece, Caitlin isn't a direct threat to our spots. As Elena Delle Donne said, she got the same competitive treatment from Diana specifically when she arrived on the scene. Like Elena, Caitlin's gonna have to stand up for herself and fight (metaphorically speaking) to earn Diana's and others' respect.

Caitlin obviously won't be the first professional sports super rookie to have gone through such an initiation, and she surely won't be the last.

Let’s check in on that impending reality Diana Taurasi warned us about.

IMG_5512.jpeg

IMG_5513.jpeg

Let’s check in on that impending reality Diana Taurasi warned us about.

View attachment 79841

View attachment 79842
Her “welcome to the league” period lasted not even half a season. She’s the best offensive guard in the league.

I can’t blame her if she decides to leave, but it would be fantastic if Indy find a way to re-sign Kelsey Mitchell. She’s an absolute bucket and Indiana’s best pure scorer. She and Caitlin are in sync now and just lethal offensively together.

Angel Reese gets her guaranteed Double Double and ESPN is already back at it.
Cardoso played a more impactful game on both ends.

“The streak” was (mostly) impressive, but it’s weird to glaze every single time she gets a double-double. It’s inherently much easier for frontcourt players to rack them up on a regular basis.

Without having an idea of what they looked like the past few years, I get the impression while watching the Aces that A’ja Wilson is having to carry this team more than she did in the past. Also wonder if some of the off-court stuff is lingering above that organization.

The Liberty, on the other hand, play a fun brand of basketball and seem like a really likable squad.

Caught the highlights of Sun/Wings from last night as well - Marina Mabrey is a fantastic fit on that team. She might be the final piece that team needs to try to take the fight to NY in the playoffs.

Cardoso played a more impactful game on both ends.

“The streak” was (mostly) impressive, but it’s weird to glaze every single time she gets a double-double. It’s inherently much easier for frontcourt players to rack them up on a regular basis.
This was exactly what ION was saying last night.

I hate the “half her rebounds are on her own missed layups” argument because it does take skill to recover those, but it’s also true. She would not be recording double doubles every week if she was a halfway effective shooter or was any good at these layups.

And truthfully, if Caitlin wanted to do the stat padding ****, she could get a double double almost every night just on points and assists. But she is zoned in on the game.

Mercury coach has good things to say about Clark and Kelsey.

"I'm Not Sure How She Was Getting Open": Mercury Head Coach Nate Tibbetts Commends Fever Duo's Partnership Despite Narrow Loss​

I have said it previously and will again. i would take Cardosa over Reese. Cardoso will end up being more valuable to the Sky.

Mercury coach has good things to say about Clark and Kelsey.

"I'm Not Sure How She Was Getting Open": Mercury Head Coach Nate Tibbetts Commends Fever Duo's Partnership Despite Narrow Loss​

I have said it previously and will again. i would take Cardosa over Reese. Cardoso will end up being more valuable to the Sky.
Just a gentle reminder since this keeps coming up for whatever reason...Chicago obviously also took Cardoso over Reese. Cardoso was the #3 pick. Reese was #7.

I've watched all three of Thursday's and Friday's games that I wanted to see: Sky/Mercury and Lynx/Mystics from Thursday, and Fever/Mercury and Wings/Sun from Friday.

Chicago gave up a lot when they granted Marina Mabrey's request to be traded to Connecticut because she wants to win a championship. Without Chennedy Carter, too, they just looked completely lost. It's just one game, but I think they're gonna be in an ugly rebuilding/soul searching phase for a while. I grew to like them over time, I'll always love the Cardoso/Reese front line and Chennedy Carter, and I liked the little I saw of Moriah Jefferson, but in this case, I have to continue to follow the player and not the team that she left. I'm done following the Sky, at least for the rest of this season and until they get things figured out.

On the flip side, having now seen Marina in action with Connecticut, I like them even more than I already did before. As I figured would be the case, she seems like she'll fit in perfectly there. She got herself in foul trouble but otherwise had a good game. DiJonai didn't play, dang it. I can't wait to see the two of them together. I think Marina can do so much for them within Coach White's system and gives them so many different options. Connecticut's pushing to win it all right now, and realistically for them, it's probably now or never with this roster.

That said, if I'm truly being honest with myself, my #1 favorite WNBA team right now is the Minnesota Lynx. There's just this intangible, inherent appeal with them for me that I can't really explain. I've gushed about them before, so I'll spare everyone and just say that they've stolen my heart. When I watch them play, I feel like the late, great Bill Walton said that he felt watching Nikola Jokic. I feel good about life. I feel good about the world. I believe that tomorrow is worth fighting for. ❤️

billwalton.jpg

Back
Top Bottom