WNBA

That said, A'ja Wilson is the best player in the WNBA by a southern mile. She is the WNBA's Michael Jordan. She's the best player in the game in every single aspect.

As good as Caitlin Clark is and will be, it'll probably be a few more years before she's challenging for MVP.
She’s the best in the game, but hardly think it’s a case where the MVP vote should be unanimous this season. Collier and Clark should both be getting some 1st place votes and you could probably argue Stewart should get a few too.

I think with a full offseason there’s really no reason Clark shouldn’t be in the conversation from the outset next year.

Uffda, Fever get Aces again Friday, 7:30 , ION. Last chance to get a win on them
this season.

Aces are too good, I think.

But at the same time, the Fever would have won the game in spite of the sloppy play on court if the refs didn't decide to just totally jump in the tank for the Aces.

Aces are too good, I think.

But at the same time, the Fever would have won the game in spite of the sloppy play on court if the refs didn't decide to just totally jump in the tank for the Aces.
The Aces didn’t play exceptionally well tonight. Indiana played pretty terribly, especially early, and had some critical calls not go their way. Vegas has also struggled for much of this season relative to their expectations. If Indiana play to their capabilities they can certainly beat them. And I think that’s why it’s frustrating they didn’t beat them. Tonight was a great shot at home when the first two matchups were on the road early in the year, before they found their footing both individually and as a team.

Also, tonight really reinforced that one of the other two big offseason priorities, beyond re-signing Kelsey Mitchell, has to be bolstering guard depth. When you lose Lexie Hull as your 3&D role player things get ugly in a hurry.

I think if you accomplish those two and maybe upgrade from NaLyssa Smith at the starting 4 they’ll be cooking with gas next year.

I KNEW this was coming so I'm not surprised, just amused, but now the argument for not giving ROTY to Caitlin Clark is that Chicago's loss yesterday "proves" Angel Reese is the best player in the league. 🤣🤣🤣

I KNEW this was coming so I'm not surprised, just amused, but now the argument for not giving ROTY to Caitlin Clark is that Chicago's loss yesterday "proves" Angel Reese is the best player in the league. 🤣🤣🤣
Of course, they lost 22 times "with" Reese in the lineup. :biggrin:

Of course, they lost 22 times "with" Reese in the lineup. :biggrin:
In fairness to their point, when you decide to rebuild a team around a player and that player gets hurt…

But that’s not to say Angel Reese is so good she is the team because she’s still an offensive liability. That’s the organization buying into her hype.

Don’t forget to send your girl happy birthday wishes, @Mr. Gregory.

IMG_5801.jpeg

Good example from Wednesday’s game of how Clark has become much less of a defensive liability already. Vegas hunted her by screening and getting her switched onto A’ja and she held her ground.

Don’t forget to send your girl happy birthday wishes, @Mr. Gregory.

View attachment 80368
Friday the 13th, LOL. You'll never see this, but Happy Birthday, Lexie! ^_^

Man, I'm so far behind. I try to watch a game a day during the week, but I had a bunch of stuff to do this week. I'm only up to the start of the fourth quarter of this past Sunday's Fever/Dream OT game. I have a couple more things to do this weekend, but if I play my cards right, I'll have at least a day to do nothing but watch the girls put the ball in the hoop.

lexiehullyes_311.png

Man, I'm so far behind. I try to watch a game a day during the week, but I had a bunch of stuff to do this week. I'm only up to the start of the fourth quarter of this past Sunday's Fever/Dream OT game. I have a couple more things to do this weekend, but if I play my cards right, I'll have at least a day to do nothing but watch the girls put the ball in the hoop.

View attachment 80372

I'm just glad you're rooting for the good guys. ;)

I'm just glad you're rooting for the good guys. ;)
I've never rooted against them, to be fair. They're the only team that I started following in June and am still following now. I only briefly ended up with the heels in Chicago because that's where Marina was, and I like good defense. When she left, I left. I could come crawling back to them later if things change, but not with things as they currently are.

Good example from Wednesday’s game of how Clark has become much less of a defensive liability already. Vegas hunted her by screening and getting her switched onto A’ja and she held her ground.

She can get a stop every once in a blue moon, when she feels like it. If she would just feel like it a little more and show me a little less Steve Nash and a little more Jason Kidd on the defensive end, I'd be ready to begin tithing.

View attachment 80372
Need those essays ASAP when you’re finished.

1726247001314.gif

She can get a stop every once in a blue moon, when she feels like it. If she would just feel like it a little more and show me a little less Steve Nash and a little more Jason Kidd on the defensive end, I'd be ready to begin tithing.
She’s already made strides on that end of the floor since the break and I think that’s all you can ask for right now. In the first half of the season I just don’t think she had the strength and physicality to fight through screens, get switched onto bigs, and so on. She’s a bit stronger now and if she continues to get stronger and quicker each offseason she can be a respectable on-ball defender. She has the frame for it.

Like I wrote a bit about earlier in this thread, she does pretty well off ball - she can read passing lanes and snag steals pretty well and is a solid help defender too.

She’s already made strides on that end of the floor since the break and I think that’s all you can ask for right now. In the first half of the season I just don’t think she had the strength and physicality to fight through screens, get switched onto bigs, and so on. She’s a bit stronger now and if she continues to get stronger and quicker each offseason she can be a respectable on-ball defender. She has the frame for it.

Like I wrote a bit about earlier in this thread, she does pretty well off ball - she can read passing lanes and snag steals pretty well and is a solid help defender too.
We're in agreement. What you've said here is exactly what I was getting at. I don't see her as a defensive liability (I don't personally even like using that word "liability" to describe players), because she can occasionally get one of those aforementioned stops. I think she has potential on that side of the floor, and that's why I'd love to see her continue to work and improve at it.

That said, I'm in no rush. She's a rookie, and I'm a patient man. I would love to see her become a good or even just decent defender over the course of her career.

I'm almost done with this past Sunday, LOL. Finally finished that Fever/Dream OT game, which was a thriller. Both teams were actually playing solid defense by the end and were just making tough shots. It was crazy.

That leaning 3 that Caitlin hit in the corner over two defenders was nuts. Even though Lexie missed a couple of free throws that would have put them up by 6 at the end, she grabbed the loose ball that led to the free throws when everyone was scrambling for it underneath the basket after a miss. My boo-boo may not fill up the stat sheet every game, but she hustles and is always there to make an impact when it counts. ^_^

I've heard some good commentary this year, but I have to give another shout-out to Debbie Antonelli, who is probably my favorite analyst/color commentator right now. She's a pro. She just breaks down the game so well. She explains what she's seeing on the court in a way that is understandable for the average viewer but doesn't insult your intelligence as a basketball fan. I also really like Shimmy Miller, who does the Sky games (and who I miss hearing from), for similar reasons.

Scoreless first half from Clark; not sure we’ve seen that before. Vegas are doing a great job icing her out and she’s visibly frustrated. Also had to go to the bench early with 3 fouls.

Mitchell is pretty much single-handedly keeping the team in the game with 19 points.

Strange game. Clark goes 0/5 in the first and then 7/13 in the second. Mitchell went 8/14 and then 0/2. They fought back in the second half but just couldn’t get all the way there.

Tough loss, although a Mercury loss later tonight would help make up for it.

As much as I think these technical fouls are bull****, Caitlin had better get that little temper of hers in check. Fast.
Didn't see the game yet, obviously, but yeah, one more and she gets suspended for a game. Dunno if the tech count resets for the playoffs or not. She's gonna have to learn...thou shalt not disrespect or lay hands on The Sacred Stanchion in anger, for it is holy.

Wilson is only about 12 rebounds away from surpassing Reese's total this year. Wilson will undoubtedly end up leading the WNBA in rebounds.

Yeah, but it will take away from the game if Clark can't play all out for the fans. They come to see her play not ***** foot around.
She's allowed to show emotion. She just can't lay hands on The Sacred Stanchion in anger, that's all. Everyone apparently must follow this rule. NaLyssa Smith recently got T'd up for breaking it.

Didn't see the game yet, obviously, but yeah, one more and she gets suspended for a game. Dunno if the tech count resets for the playoffs or not. She's gonna have to learn...thou shalt not disrespect or lay hands on The Sacred Stanchion in anger, for it is holy.
Technicals are reset for the playoffs so there is no worry on that issue. The stanchion rule is still a dumb rule.

Technicals are reset for the playoffs so there is no worry on that issue. The stanchion rule is still a dumb rule.
Regardless of what we may think of the rule, the sanctity and integrity of The Sacred Stanchion must be protected at all times, for it is holy and holds The Blessed Hoop, from which all Points come. As a great man once said, "contrary to popular belief, the rules were NOT made to be broken!"

mrbonefinger.jpg

It's just the post/stand that holds the hoop up. Apparently, the refs in the W really, really don't like it when players slap/punch it in anger.
It seems like that should be self policing. If you hit the Stanchion hard enough, you succeed in breaking your hand.

The thought reminded me of the time I drove my brother home from his job. One of his follow workers was wearing a heavy bandage on his hand that looked like a cast. I asked my brother about the injury to the workers hand and he said his girlfriend broke up with him, so he intentionally smashed his hand through some glass in frustration and anger.

I was thinking if there was ever a time to take care of his hand it would have especially been true after the girlfriend had dumped him.

It seems like that should be self policing. If you hit the Stanchion hard enough, you succeed in breaking your hand.

The thought reminded me of the time I drove my brother home from his job. One of his follow workers was wearing a heavy bandage on his hand that looked like a cast. I asked my brother about the injury to the workers hand and he said his girlfriend broke up with him, so he intentionally smashed his hand through some glass in frustration and anger.

I was thinking if there was ever a time to take care of his hand it would have especially been true after the girlfriend had dumped him.
Nah, the stanchions in the W have padding on them.

Nah, the stanchions in the W have padding on them.
Okay why not let them slap the stress away as long as they aren't delaying the game. If they do hurt the padding just send them a hefty bill. Based on their pay they cant aford a technical to often and the endangered goal post things will be protected better than they are by the technicals.

Back
Top Bottom