WNBA

Lexie Hull has been hotter than fire since the Olympic Break. Both in terms of performance and aesthetics. 🔥

Like Debbie Antonelli, who I really like as an analyst/color commentator, alluded to recently, Lexie doesn't have to have a single set run for her to make an impact on a game. She's always hustling, always defending, always ready to make something happen. Those hustle/defensive efforts can and do lead to good things happening on the offensive end. That's why she's my boo-boo. ^_^

A new nickname, "Double Double Duo"!!

1725918048126.png

I cannot believe the words that are about to come out of my mouth but I’m jonesing for an Indiana Fever game.

@muggle not @FLRacingFan @Mr. Gregory
On Wednesday, y'all host the Vegas Olympic Team. Not sure if A'ja Wilson will be playing or not.

I only really watched the Fever at first because of you guys and the massive hype machine behind Caitlin (and them by extension). I actually almost stopped following them at one point for reasons I've already stated. Then, sometime in July, something changed, and I suddenly felt obligated to follow them. ^_^

lexiehull_480.png

This is a really good article and well worth the short read.

Aliyah Boston Drops Strong Statement About Fever’s Postseason Ambitions​

I just keep coming back to that three game first round series, man. I could totally see this plucky young squad surprising somebody twice over three games. Anything is possible.

On Wednesday, y'all host the Vegas Olympic Team. Not sure if A'ja Wilson will be playing or not.

I only really watched the Fever at first because of you guys and the massive hype machine behind Caitlin (and them by extension). I actually almost stopped following them at one point for reasons I've already stated. Then, sometime in July, something changed, and I suddenly felt obligated to follow them. ^_^

View attachment 80300
You are certainly welcome to join us in following the Fever. I think that they now have a darn good "team'" of starters that works together to win games. each player is a bit different in their style of play but they all contribute to their winning ways. I like them all.
As an aside, I have mentioned it before but look at the number of assists that Boston has in most games, I think she is special.

You are certainly welcome to join us in following the Fever. I think that they now have a darn good "team'" of starters that works together to win games. each player is a bit different in their style of play but they all contribute to their winning ways. I like them all.
As an aside, I have mentioned it before but look at the number of assists that Boston has in most games, I think she is special.
I've been following the Fever ("following" simply meaning watching all their games) since I started watching the W religiously sometime in the middle of June, so a couple months after you guys. They're one of three teams I'm currently following along with Minnesota and Connecticut.

I would follow a few more, the Mystics, Dream, and maybe the Mercury, who I have quickly come to like in (W)NBA 2K25, but I obviously have a day job and can barely handle keeping up with three teams. :lol2:

View attachment 80300
Welcome to the Church of Caitlin, even if your membership is by proxy.

I still have catching up to do on this past weekend’s pair of games, but it sounds like a couple of fun ones either way. Seems like things are lining up to get the Sun as the first round matchup and that would be a good draw, imo.

Welcome to the Church of Caitlin, even if your membership is by proxy.
Maaaaaan, I've been trying to tell you, but you've been caught up in that absolutist mindset and haven't been listening. I have a loose affiliation with The Church via my associates (i.e. you guys) and my boo-boo Lexie. I'm just not a full-fledged, tithing member in good standing like you guys.

When it comes to sports/entertainment, I have a really hard time following the herd. I've always been like that. No way was I just gonna hop on Caitlin's hype train when I watched and knew other girls in this league well before she came along and am no longer watching for just the stars. Nah, dawg. That wasn't gonna happen.

Don't take it personally. It's just the natural contrarian in me.

I still have catching up to do on this past weekend’s pair of games, but it sounds like a couple of fun ones either way. Seems like things are lining up to get the Sun as the first round matchup and that would be a good draw, imo.
Like I've said before, I enjoy watching Connecticut when they bring the energy, which has been the case more often than not lately. I dig their gritty combination of stifling defense and pounding the ball inside on the offensive end. Marina has been really good as essentially a sixth starter coming in off the bench for them. I love her in that role with that team.

I still think they're a bit of a paper tiger, though. I haven't seen them beat the other top teams enough. I have seen the Fever beat the top teams quite a few times, though, including Connecticut, if I'm not mistaken. Stop me if you've heard this before, but that first round is a three game series.

Maaaaaan, I've been trying to tell you, but you've been caught up in that absolutist mindset and haven't been listening. I have a loose affiliation with The Church via my associates (i.e. you guys) and my boo-boo Lexie. I'm just not a full-fledged, tithing member in good standing like you guys.

When it comes to sports/entertainment, I have a really hard time following the herd. I've always been like that. No way was I just gonna hop on Caitlin's hype train when I watched and knew other girls in this league well before she came along and am no longer watching for just the stars. Nah, dawg. That wasn't gonna happen.

Don't take it personally. It's just the natural contrarian in me.
I’m just glad you’re here and you’re watching Caitllin’s GOATness on full display.

Besides, who would you argue with in a WNBA discussion on here if Caitlin didn’t bring the rest of us here? 😇

I’m just glad you’re here and you’re watching Caitllin’s GOATness on full display.

Besides, who would you argue with in a WNBA discussion on here if Caitlin didn’t bring the rest of us here? 😇
The bickering at least made a little bit of sense when I was following the Sky, but it's just illogical now. We've been going back and forth about absolutely nothing up here. It's really stupid. We may not see basketball in the same way or watch for the same exact reasons, but dang it, we all love this game and are passionate about it. The W consistently brings me joy, and I'm keeping it positive from here on out. :cheers:

200.gif

Hotrod - where have you been. We miss you on the WNBA thread.
I was working my way through the Vuelta, US Open tennis, College football, NFL,
MLB and of course the racing sanctions. Now to include college volleyball which just started.
Oh , and I got sucked into a Live EPT Barcelona poker tournament on YouTube which took
30 or 40 hours of my time last week on the laptop. 3 Americans made the final table which was crazy.
I was able to catch the OT of Fever beating my home team Dream which I was very
pleased with. I will try and step up my game a bit. Thanks for the shout out muggle not !
Go Fever !!!

Honestly, this nonsense is funny now.

We can laugh, but this person is obviously entitled to be a Sky fan and boost their favorite players. I'm sure you could find somebody out there who thinks that Sophie Cunningham is the MVP, and more power to them, I say. She can shoot, and she's almost too scrappy, always causin' trouble. LOL. Girl is a competitor, straight up. I love her. ^_^

All you need to see from this clip, from a recent Phoenix/Minnesota game, is up to around the 1:30 mark. She had the crowd chanting her name and everything (sometime after the 1:30 mark). :XXROFL:

The refs had been making some bad/questionable calls up to that point (against both teams, to be fair), Phoenix was getting blown out, and Sophie eventually just completely lost her mind. She admitted afterwards in the presser that she needed to control her emotions better, and she was just like "but I didn't want to."

For the first time, I actually understood and had a little sympathy for a Phoenix player who got T'd up. She had been playing well, and her team really needed her in the game, but I understood. For all the rabble-rousing Sophie does and all the silliness she finds herself involved in, that was apparently the first time that she has ever been tossed from a game.

Just watched Sunday's Mystics/Lynx game. It was really good, close all the way through. The Lynx are obviously my favorite team right now, but I've liked those Mystics since the first time I saw them, when they had all those players out with injuries. Now that they're all healthy, which is great to see, I'm realizing that they're basically a mirror image of the Lynx. It's crazy how alike they are. If I wasn't already following three teams, I'd definitely be following them, too.

Just like the Lynx, the Mystics move the ball very well and find open looks for their good outside shooters. They can apparently bring the defense, too, which I was impressed by, and of course they hustle. I really enjoy watching them play.

The game came down to the last minute or so and could have gone either way, but Minnesota pulled it out. I would have been happy regardless of the outcome. Good game. 👍

I did get around to Lynx/Fever from Friday. Not often that a team holds both Clark and Mitchell below their shooting averages, but if anyone’s gonna do it’s probably Minnesota. They did a good job of getting Lexie Hull in foul trouble and off the floor for some time as well. Indy will definitely need another solid perimeter defender over the offseason to consistently win against the top teams.

If the Fever can’t win the Finals I’m pulling for the Lynx, I like a team that can both defend and then space the floor on offense, and they’re not unlikable personalities like some other squads are made of.

I did get around to Lynx/Fever from Friday. Not often that a team holds both Clark and Mitchell below their shooting averages, but if anyone’s gonna do it’s probably Minnesota. They did a good job of getting Lexie Hull in foul trouble and off the floor for some time as well. Indy will definitely need another solid perimeter defender over the offseason to consistently win against the top teams.

If the Fever can’t win the Finals I’m pulling for the Lynx, I like a team that can both defend and then space the floor on offense, and they’re not unlikable personalities like some other squads are made of.
Oh, Minnesota's tough, dude. They were a little soft on the defensive end (for them, anyway) in the first half but really turned it up in the third quarter, as I've enjoyed watching them do all season long. I could see Indiana's young players starting to get frustrated. Even though the score was close after that, and the game could have gone either way until late in the fourth quarter, I thought that third quarter ultimately made the difference.

Still, I have a hard time taking anything away from the Fever in that loss. They did a good job of hanging in there against a great all-around team. Like I said, it could have gone either way. I thought they actually played solid defense in fits and starts, as I've seen them do a few times this season. Yes, they're gonna have to improve on that end, but no, I can't be too hard on them. They may make a move or two in the off-season, but I would like to see this group, or at least the core of the group, continue to grow and improve together. Like you alluded to about Minnesota, they're a very likable team.

There has been some mention of Sheryl Swoopes on the forum so I thought I would post this article:

Caitlin Clark Rookie Season vs. Sheryl Swoopes 2002 MVP​

CategoryClark (2024)Swoopes (2002)
PPG18.718.5
RPG5.64.9
APG8.43.3
SPG1.42.8
BPG0.80.7
FG%.424.434
3P%.341.288
FT%.897.825
eFG%.531.457
Scoring Impact (PPG & Shooting Efficiency): Clark and Swoopes are elite scorers, but their styles differ significantly. Clark’s impressive three-point shooting and effective field goal percentage highlight her efficiency from long range, a critical asset in today’s game. On the other hand, Swoopes was more efficient overall from the field, focusing on high-percentage shots and finishing with a .434 FG%.

Like I've said before, I enjoy watching Connecticut when they bring the energy, which has been the case more often than not lately. I dig their gritty combination of stifling defense and pounding the ball inside on the offensive end. Marina has been really good as essentially a sixth starter coming in off the bench for them. I love her in that role with that team.

I still think they're a bit of a paper tiger, though. I haven't seen them beat the other top teams enough. I have seen the Fever beat the top teams quite a few times, though, including Connecticut, if I'm not mistaken. Stop me if you've heard this before, but that first round is a three game series.
Yeah, the Sun had the Fever’s number in a big way early on when they played them thrice in the first month or so, but Indy won the final matchup and are on fire at the moment. I think the key with the Sun is that while they play well defensively they aren’t as well-rounded with an offensive game to complement like the Liberty and Lynx have. The Aces don’t have the defense of the Sun, but I think you would like to avoid the best individual player in the game in a three-game series. We know A’ja can carry that team when needed. The biggest threat the Sun pose offensively is that Mabrey goes wild from 3 like she did last night against LA, but I think you put Hull on her and force everybody else to beat you.

Yeah, the Sun had the Fever’s number in a big way early on when they played them thrice in the first month or so, but Indy won the final matchup and are on fire at the moment. I think the key with the Sun is that while they play well defensively they aren’t as well-rounded with an offensive game to complement like the Liberty and Lynx have. The Aces don’t have the defense of the Sun, but I think you would like to avoid the best individual player in the game in a three-game series. We know A’ja can carry that team when needed. The biggest threat the Sun pose offensively is that Mabrey goes wild from 3 like she did last night against LA, but I think you put Hull on her and force everybody else to beat you.
I'm sorry, did you say my OG boo-boo went buck wild from outside? Oh, we can't wait to see that.

marinaintrigued.jpg

Good analysis. I think everyone's chasing the SuperLiberty right now, and my gut instinct is telling me not to count out the Las Vegas Olympic Team in a five game later round playoff series (gotta get through that three game first round toss-up though, obviously).

In general, I think that if you can play great D, which the Sun can, you can get away somewhat with not relying on 3s. I'm just not sure that these paper tigers, as much as I love them, are gonna be able to prove that theory true and get away with it. We gon' see.

What's been up with Aayliah Boston lately? The inconsistency is wild.

Erica Wheeler is balling out tonight.

Caitlin needs to be a little more conservative with the passing tonight with how tough Las Vegas defensive play has been.

After a strong start, this has been a TERRIBLE showing for Indiana. Probably the worst game I've seen from them yet.

Sloppy, undisciplined, terrible. It doesn't help that the refs are interfering every time Indiana starts to get something going, but this is inexcusable.

After a strong start, this has been a TERRIBLE showing for Indiana. Probably the worst game I've seen from them yet.

Sloppy, undisciplined, terrible. It doesn't help that the refs are interfering every time Indiana starts to get something going, but this is inexcusable.
Crowd seems to be pretty low energy too. Just an odd vibe tonight. Vegas, on the other hand, has been pretty stout defensively after Becky had to call a timeout 30 seconds into the game. Must’ve lit a fire under them during that break.

Hull had to go to the bench early with quick foul trouble and the defense was just awful with her off the floor.

Back
Top Bottom