WNBA

Reese took the attention away from CC but CC also had a very good game. CC is so quick with her passing that it keeps everyone on their toes.Her assist tally was 13 but with more help from her teammates, once again it would have been higher.

Tonight though was Reese's time to shine.

Clark will eventually get there. She's close. But Angel Reese should be ROTY and is going to be an all-time great.
I would say Reese for ROTY after today, which was the best performance of any rookie yet. But I think they’ll be trading it off on an almost nightly basis really. The fact that Clark got overshadowed after going 5/9 from 3 and tossing 13 assists herself speaks to how well Angel played. They both have unlimited potential and Angel had her first two real breakout games this week.

I would say Reese for ROTY after today, which was the best performance of any rookie yet. But I think they’ll be trading it off on an almost nightly basis really. The fact that Clark got overshadowed after going 5/9 from 3 and tossing 13 assists herself speaks to how well Angel played. They both have unlimited potential and Angel had her first two real breakout games this week.
I’ve been saying for a few weeks she will be the greatest defensive player in history. And it won’t be close. She’s ALREADY the best defensive player in the league.

Honestly, she deserves to say this today. She went toe-to-toe with veterans and didn’t back down. In fact, she completely took over. That’s all dawg.
I don’t mind this in that it’s part of sports. But Angel Reese acts like this when she wins, but next time she loses to Indiana, she’ll be giving sob stories again.

And yes, as discussed in the Culture Wars thread, the vitriol toward her is bad. The vitriol from her fans is much much much worse.

Clark ignores it. Reese doesn’t. In fact, Clark had to make a statement condemning it because of race baiting statements made by Dijonai Carrington.

Before we give the Rookie of the year to Reese this early in the season lets wait awhile. Both Clark and Reese are great players but different in style. One is a point guard and the other is a forward. These are the early season statistics for each of them:

Clark:
Season Avg: Points - 16-3 Rebounds - 5.9 Assists - 6.6

Season Total: Points - 293 Rebounds - 98 Assists - 119

Reese:
Season avg: Points - 13.2 Rebounds - 11.1 Assists - 2.1

Season Total: Points - 198 Rebounds - 167 Assists - 31

Both are doing very well as a rookie.

Before we give the Rookie of the year to Reese this early in the season lets wait awhile. Both Clark and Reese are great players but different in style. One is a point guard and the other is a forward. These are the early season statistics for each of them:

Clark:
Season Avg: Points - 16-3 Rebounds - 5.9 Assists - 6.6

Season Total: Points - 293 Rebounds - 98 Assists - 119

Reese:
Season avg: Points - 13.2 Rebounds - 11.1 Assists - 2.1

Season Total: Points - 198 Rebounds - 167 Assists - 31

Both are doing very well as a rookie.

Right now, Angel Reese is a significantly more impactful player on her team. She's absolutely dominant inside the paint.

Caitlin Clark is playing great, but Angel Reese is a top-5 player in the league, right now. Clark is not. Honestly though, I think the Olympic Break is going to be good for her. She's been wide open since last summer, had no time off between the tournament and the draft, and has had to play the hardest schedule in the history of the WNBA.

Right now, Angel Reese is a significantly more impactful player on her team. She's absolutely dominant inside the paint.

Caitlin Clark is playing great, but Angel Reese is a top-5 player in the league, right now. Clark is not. Honestly though, I think the Olympic Break is going to be good for her. She's been wide open since last summer, had no time off between the tournament and the draft, and has had to play the hardest schedule in the history of the WNBA.
There’s a decent amount of recency bias going on here. Angel was incredible yesterday, but both she and CC are nowhere near top 5 players yet. Angel is closer to a top 15 defensive player so far as well. I agree that she certainly has future DPOY potential though.

SMH.

Between this and Angel's ****y asf postgame interview, they go out of their way to be disliked and then complain about being disliked.

This is admittedly pretty cringe. 😬

This is admittedly pretty cringe. 😬

The Chicago Sky and the people who root for them solely because of the culture war crap ... it's the most classless, most detestable franchise in all of professional sports. And, as this cringe ass post shows, Chicago is cultivating a culture that encourages this crap.

One of the pages I follow posted the stat lines.

Majority of Caitlin Clark fans: Congratulations to Angel. She balled out. These two are going to be fun to watch.

Majority of Angel Reese fans: WHAT DO THE HATERS HAVE TO SAY NOW?! ANGEL IS HER!!! KKKLARK SUCKS!!! LET'S SEE THOSE CAITLIN CLUX CLAN TEARS!!!

This may be for the other thread ... but I REALLY think the media should hold Angel Reese accountable for the antics of her fanbase and outside agitators, the same way they held Caitlin Clark accountable for the antics of her fanbase outside agitators. It wasn't fair to Caitlin, and it's not fair that Angel Reese is so hated because the Chicago Sky is a trash ass franchise.

Stephen Smith is really upset with Kelsey Mitchell. Said that Clark would have had 16 assists if not for Mitchell bunglin the passes and thta the missed passes cost the Fever the game.

Stephen A. Smith 'Disgusted' at Indiana Fever Standout For Mistakes Against Angel Reese, Chicago Sky​

Just got done watching the replay of the Fever/Sky game, and what a game it was. My goodness. Believe it or not, this essay is vastly condensed. I could write a book about these women.

I love everything about Angel Reese. She is my kind of big. I love her competitiveness and determination to inhale rebounds and do work inside. Her battle with NaLyssa Smith was really fun to watch, as was Cardoso/Boston. She had me rollin' with that stank face (shout-out to Rebecca Lobo :lol2:) + backpedaling gallop combo whenever she would score on her. I was dying. :XXROFL:

People knock Reese for her swag, trolling, etc., which I guess is understandable, but personally, I love her confidence. Being a high profile rookie big, and a bit of an undersized one at that, who eats exclusively in the paint, these vets will absolutely devour her if she doesn't have and express that confidence. Yeah, she might go down, but if she does, she's going down swinging. I respect that.

My girl Marina Mabrey had a rough night shooting, including those two missed free throws at the end. I know she missed a couple with the game on the line earlier in the season. Poor thing looked so nervous at the free throw line at the end of this game. I felt that pressure. She had some nice passes, though, including a couple sick ones on fast breaks. It's all good. She definitely wasn't the only one missing free throws.

The insane level of hype around Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese before the season started got my attention. Marina Mabrey drew me in, and Angel Reese, Chennedy Carter, and the rest of the Sky have ensured that I'm not going anywhere. No, that team is not for everybody, but they're sure as heck for me. I haven't had this much fun watching basketball since I followed the NBA religiously for 6 or 7 years back in the 2000s, and I haven't had this much fun watching a basketball team since the Detroit Pistons during that time. I love the Sky, and I love the WNBA.

Stephen Smith is really upset with Kelsey Mitchell. Said that Clark would have had 16 assists if not for Mitchell bunglin the passes and thta the missed passes cost the Fever the game.

Stephen A. Smith 'Disgusted' at Indiana Fever Standout For Mistakes Against Angel Reese, Chicago Sky​

Yeah, unfortunately, I'm beginning to notice a trend there with Kelsey Mitchell. She's only human like everyone else, but that one outlet pass from Caitlin was actually really good and landed right in front of her, and she just had butterfingers.

She had a good night shooting from deep but is streaky from what the (W)NBA 2K commentators have told me, and she can be a little selfish at times. There was a possession where she had an okay look at a jumper, but Kristy Wallace was completely wide open on the wing and was calling for the ball. She shot it anyway (and missed). Kristy and I both had the same reaction.

tenor.gif

In fairness to Kelsey, though, it was a one point game, so you could point to any mistake or missed opportunity and pick that as the reason why the outcome was what it was. Kelsey definitely wasn't the only one who made mistakes. Both teams missed free throws, turned the ball over, missed shots in close, etc. It be's like that sometimes.

Missed these comments from Caitlin from before yesterday's game. Once again, I find myself agreeing 100% with her.

Fwiw, I like more of this Caitlin where she’s speaking her mind and being opinionated. I think that’s a good thing moving forward.

I don’t think either of them necessarily dislike each other, but I do think Clark/Reese - and adjacently, Fever/Sky - is a rivalry. Like it or not, their stories so far are intertwined with each other’s and they’ve played high-stakes, high-intensity games at both the college and pro level already. Some have paralleled it to Bird/Magic and I don’t think that’s outlandish. There’s clearly a certain aura about these two when they step on the floor together.

For perspective, ESPN had a total of three NBA regular season games with an audience as large this past season. One was on opening night (Wemby debut) and the other two were on Christmas Day.

Fwiw, I like more of this Caitlin where she’s speaking her mind and being opinionated. I think that’s a good thing moving forward.

I don’t think either of them necessarily dislike each other, but I do think Clark/Reese - and adjacently, Fever/Sky - is a rivalry. Like it or not, their stories so far are intertwined with each other’s and they’ve played high-stakes, high-intensity games at both the college and pro level already. Some have paralleled it to Bird/Magic and I don’t think that’s outlandish. There’s clearly a certain aura about these two when they step on the floor together.

It's definitely a rivalry. Caitlin Clark might not view it that way, but Angel Reese and the rest of the Chicago Sky team does.

What people don't understand is that Angel Reese is very business savvy. Despite what she says to the media, she KNOWS Caitlin Clark is the reason people are watching. The only reason. She's trying to ride that by being her rival and taking verbal jabs and stuff. Like I keep saying, these fanpages that prop Angel Reese up can't do so without invoking Caitlin Clark's name - because they know the only way the algorithms are going to put that in feeds is by mentioning Caitlin Clark.

I like what Christie Sides said about Clark needing to take more shots and sharing with her teammates too much. Clark is the ultimate team player, but there are times that you've gotta take the shots yourself. The parallels between her and Trevor Lawrence in the NFL are crazy. There are games where I'm screaming at the TV that Trevor's gonna have to "win it himself" and "use his legs" because he's getting the ball to his receivers and they're just not attempting to catch it.

Agreed on Caitlin speaking up. If I hadn't already known of Marina Mabrey and naturally gravitated towards her first, I could very well have ended up with the rest of you guys in the Church of Caitlin. The Sky would likely have still ended up being my favorite team, but it might have taken a little longer to happen.

Caitlin's basically alternate universe Marina. They play the same position in a similar manner and have the same responsibilities on their respective teams, to score and facilitate the offense. The difference to me is that Caitlin's cold as ice, a silky smooth assassin, and Marina's all fire, a feisty, scrappy sharpshooter who is always ready to engage the enemy by any means necessary, even in close combat. LOL.

tenor.gif

I agree with what you and Andy have said regarding the rivalry conversation to an extent. I think Clark/Reese (and Fever/Sky by extension) is definitely a rivalry to other people, but I don't think it's a rivalry in Caitlin's cool, calm, collected mind. She comes off as refreshingly honest, and I think she truly feels that way.

Rivalry or not, it's just fun to watch the Sky and Fever play. Like you said, there's definitely something in the air during those games that amplifies the competitive vibe. Both games I've seen so far (the two most recent ones) have been great. That game on Sunday felt like a playoff game.

It's definitely a rivalry. Caitlin Clark might not view it that way, but Angel Reese and the rest of the Chicago Sky team does.

What people don't understand is that Angel Reese is very business savvy. Despite what she says to the media, she KNOWS Caitlin Clark is the reason people are watching. The only reason. She's trying to ride that by being her rival and taking verbal jabs and stuff. Like I keep saying, these fanpages that prop Angel Reese up can't do so without invoking Caitlin Clark's name - because they know the only way the algorithms are going to put that in feeds is by mentioning Caitlin Clark.

I like what Christie Sides said about Clark needing to take more shots and sharing with her teammates too much. Clark is the ultimate team player, but there are times that you've gotta take the shots yourself. The parallels between her and Trevor Lawrence in the NFL are crazy. There are games where I'm screaming at the TV that Trevor's gonna have to "win it himself" and "use his legs" because he's getting the ball to his receivers and they're just not attempting to catch it.
I think Caitlin's a true point guard at heart. Tough habit to break, and a wonderful habit to have.

Angel is a lot, LOL, but I love that she's unapologetically herself, and I don't want her to change that.

Marina Mabrey is a very good player but I find it hard to believe that she compares to Caitlin Clark. Mabrey has 5 years pro experience and her statistics are less than Clark's.. :)

These two guards are probably closer in comparison:

Comparing Caitlin Clark Stats to Seattle's Jewell Loyd and Skylar Diggins-Smith​

Marina Mabrey is a very good player but I find it hard to believe that she compares to Caitlin Clark. Mabrey has 5 years pro experience and her statistics are less than Clark's.. :)

These two guards are probably closer in comparison:

Comparing Caitlin Clark Stats to Seattle's Jewell Loyd and Skylar Diggins-Smith​

Not at all what I was getting at.

I'm not comparing Marina and Caitlin on a skill or experience level and am not trying to make any kind of competition out of it. They play the same position as hybrid point/shooting guards and have the same roles on their respective teams but project different attitudes/mentalities on the court. That's all I was saying.

Responsible For The WNBA’s Change In Fortunes This Season

Caitlin Clark’s arrival in the WNBA has had a telling effect, enough to meet the eye. However, the numbers tell their own story.

The former Iowa star, who entered the league as the No. 1 overall pick in April, has already made the Indiana Fever the most popular team in women’s basketball and has prompted unprecedented viewership numbers throughout the campaign.

The Fever are the most-followed WNBA team on Instagram right now, a notable sign. A report from Sports Media Watch has also pointed out that 13 WNBA games have broken viewership numbers this season, with Indiana involved in all but one.

9:00 pm Thursday night: The Debate - Biden and Trump

10:00 pm Thursday night: Indiana vs Seattle WNBA game

Which will you be watching.

It is pretty clear to me that the Fever vs Sky games are a rivalry. However, lets not forget that there are only 4 games in a season where they play each other. The Fever should treat all games with equal importance, as should Chicago, if they want to be successful in the WNBA.

9:00 pm Thursday night: The Debate - Biden and Trump

10:00 pm Thursday night: Indiana vs Seattle WNBA game

Which will you be watching.
Indy/Seattle for sure.

And add Aces/Sky before that in the first matchup of the Prime Video doubleheader. Reese and Cardoso are gonna have their hands full with A’ja Wilson. ‘Welcome to the league’ type stuff.

The two old guys are known quantities.

Indy/Seattle for sure.

And add Aces/Sky before that in the first matchup of the Prime Video doubleheader. Reese and Cardoso are gonna have their hands full with A’ja Wilson. ‘Welcome to the league’ type stuff.

The two old guys are known quantities.
Same here. On paper, it looks like it'll be back to reality for both the Fever and Sky today, but you obviously still have to play the games, and I'll still check them out. Gonna watch the replays at some point over the weekend. I might even peek in on Mystics/Sun, which should obviously also be a blowout, just to see what Dijonai Carrington is up to. ^_^

Need basketball like I need water after that debate.

Nice to see Fagbenle finally return from injury for the Fever.

CC played pretty well offensively tonight. Shot well and dished out some nice assists as well. Hit a deep logo 3 in there somewhere.

She and Erica Wheeler are unplayable together though. When they’re both on the floor the possession stops when Wheeler gets the ball. The fact that Clark took 9 shots after she got the “green light” from Sides this week is outrageous. When Wheeler is primary ballhandler and Clark is effectively an 2, is she getting the ball to CC coming off of screens or anything? No. She may as well not be on the floor in that case.

And I have no idea what Kristy Wallace is supposed to do.

Back
Top Bottom