World of Outlaws 2019

gnomesayin, I read the open wheel heats were cancelled because the track has a 10:30 curfew. They never would have gotten finished had they not cancelled them.

Fair point, yes, I think that's accurate. It was a little frustrating in the moment last night.

I have qualifying on now along with two other races. They are a tad faster tonight and the track looks a little better with a bit more moisture in it.

I'm not sure about how well the track will hold up for the feature, but it is much, much better tonight in the heats.

Oh, it was just Mansfield is rained out and the $100k to win Sprint Car World Championship is postponed. Not sure why they deleted it.

So as bad as this was last night, and it was pretty poor, it is much better tonight. They've done about the best job possible with the track they have to work with, and this is racing that could hook first-timers. The crowd is also considerably larger tonight. If you look at last night's show as a rehersal, this should be considered a success.

Last edited:
I wish they hadn't put Reno-Fernley 95 WoO race the same day as NASCAR in Las Vegas...

Maybe Grays Harbor or a Montana/North Dakota race

I wish they hadn't put Reno-Fernley 95 WoO race the same day as NASCAR in Las Vegas...

Maybe Grays Harbor or a Montana/North Dakota race

River Cities Speedway In ND is an awesome place! The regional (has races in ND, MN and SD) 410 series there(buffalo wild wings NOSA) is really great as well, they run there on most Friday’s.. Went to the WoO late model show with NOSA 410s as the support class, hard to beat that. WoO sprints would definitely have a great field of cars up there.

River Cities Speedway In ND is an awesome place! The regional (has races in ND, MN and SD) 410 series there(buffalo wild wings NOSA) is really great as well, they run there on most Friday’s.. Went to the WoO late model show with NOSA 410s as the support class, hard to beat that. WoO sprints would definitely have a great field of cars up there.

Yeah my dad lives up there so I could easily take a day or two and off, but I think driving from Salt Lake City is better than flying. I see Grand Forks and Fargo are the same weekend.

In my experience sprint car fans and NASCAR fans are different bunches, and while there is some overlap, it's less than you might think.

In my experience sprint car fans and NASCAR fans are different bunches, and while there is some overlap, it's less than you might think.

I agree with that. Even fans of different types of sprint cars (a lot of non-wing fans bash wings, etc...). And of course Sprint car fans and dirt late model crowds are completely different... Though everyone i talk to, even if they bash NASCAR, at least seems to keep up with NASCAR Cup on TV.

I love it all, was at an All Stars 410 sprint race last weekend, a NASCAR race in Canada today, going to a rallycross race at Mid Ohio next week. I have my preferences but its the most fun to go to a variety of events. I try to take in a bit of each type of different type of racing each year.

Winged sprint car racing is better to me but a helluva lot easier to drive. Those USAC cars look tough.

I need to get into Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt

Winged sprint car racing is better to me but a helluva lot easier to drive. Those USAC cars look tough.

I need to get into Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt

I probably don't have a preference between winged and non-winged 410s, both are good. Its easier for me to check out winged cars because they race everywhere (and especially a lot in Ohio with the All stars..). If you can get to Indiana or Cali to see some USAC 410s its worth checking out!
Lucas Oil Late Models and WoO late models are both awesome! Lucas Oil has definitely become the bigger of the two, but they are pretty close. Was pretty much equal until a few years ago.
Also worth checking out is the Super DIRTcar Series big block modifieds, though they don't race much outside of NY, and Southern Ontario/Quebec. Every bit as good as 410 sprints and super late models (probably better IMO...). Its too bad they are so regional, they definitely race just as good as any national class.

I guess I'm one of those few crossovers, I've always been a NASCAR fan but have liked WoO since I was a kid and my dads friend had the diecasts displayed in his house. I haven't seen the full size wingless Sprints yet to compare the different classes. I've only started going to see dirt in person this year and I definitely like Sprints more then mods or late models though. Going to hopefully see wingless Sprints in a few weeks when USAC makes its swing through PA.

I haven't seen the full size wingless Sprints yet to compare the different classes. I've only started going to see dirt in person this year and I definitely like Sprints more then mods or late models though.

You saw WoO sprints right? What kind of modified or late model races did you see?
Unless you went to a top tier late model race (Lucas Oil or WoO late models) or a Super DIRTcar Series big block modified (which is completely different from any regular modified out there) race, then you really can't compare the 3 classes. All 3 types put on some really awesome racing! The Super DIRTcar Series went to bridgeport speedway until last year i think, but i think they quite going this year unfortunately... Not sure which tracks in your area would have major dirt late model or big block modified events.

You saw WoO sprints right? What kind of modified or late model races did you see?
Unless you went to a top tier late model race (Lucas Oil or WoO late models) or a Super DIRTcar Series big block modified (which is completely different from any regular modified out there) race, then you really can't compare the 3 classes. All 3 types put on some really awesome racing! The Super DIRTcar Series went to bridgeport speedway until last year i think, but i think they quite going this year unfortunately... Not sure which tracks in your area would have major dirt late model or big block modified events.
I saw late models at Port Royal, I've seen mods at Bridgeport and Grandview.

Nice! you made it to the Lucas Oil show at Port Royal?
No it was part of the Bob Weikert Memorial Weekend, I don't believe it was a tour.

No it was part of the Bob Weikert Memorial Weekend, I don't believe it was a tour.
Well, the Lucas oil guys already had their race for the year this year but the World Of Outlaws late models will be there in August with 410 sprints as a support class. That should be a really good show to check out if you are interested in a big SLM show. If it works out for you, those are really fun!

One thing I enjoy about following WoO sprints online is when they are racing mid-week like tonight, when there isn't any other racing to watch except for catching up on anything missed last weekend.

This was an absolute classic tonight at Fairbury. I see why this track is well regarded. Larson wins again, but it wasn't easy. Catch the highlights for sure.

This is in response to a few clueless twerps on Twitter saying that these couple wins by Larson are him "beating up on the little guys" in a lower class. Look at where NASCAR guys with experience on dirt usually run in these races, and you'll see how unusual Larson's recent success is.

This is in response to a few clueless twerps on Twitter saying that these couple wins by Larson are him "beating up on the little guys" in a lower class. Look at where NASCAR guys with experience on dirt usually run in these races, and you'll see how unusual Larson's recent success is.

Yeah I dont have a problem with it because it's the top level of Winged sprint car racing whereas Xfinity and trucks are not the top level of stock car racing

Yeah I dont have a problem with it because it's the top level of Winged sprint car racing whereas Xfinity and trucks are not the top level of stock car racing

Yeah, the key difference for me is that the World of Outlaws is not a developmental series for NASCAR in any capacity.

Pretty sure Stewart Friesen is one of the best dirt racers in the country and hasn’t won in Trucks. Also, Rico Abreu and JJ Yeley stunk in stock cars. Not saying WOO isn’t a top racing series, but the people that try to say it’s a higher level than Xfinity or trucks are absurd. Check the difference in purses from WOO to trucks and Xfinity.

It's not about whether it is higher or lower than Xfinity or Trucks. It's neither. They are different disciplines of racing, and the World of Outlaws doesn't exist on the NASCAR developmental ladder.

The fact that success in one doesn't indicate a likelihood for success in the other is what makes the comparison to Cup racers dominating lower NASCAR series faulty.

4th win for Shoe

He's been strong. McFadden got around him once and then Schuchart caught a caution at just the right time. McFadden has been really fast in that Kahne #9 of late, hope he gets more chances.

Cool bull ring there in ND, another one I'd like to go to eventually. It was 95 degrees there when the racing started, tough conditions.

He's been strong. McFadden got around him once and then Schuchart caught a caution at just the right time. McFadden has been really fast in that Kahne #9 of late, hope he gets more chances.

Cool bull ring there in ND, another one I'd like to go to eventually. It was 95 degrees there when the racing started, tough conditions.
I was up there in late August one time. Got in the lower 40's when the sun went down.

Back
Top Bottom