World of Outlaws 2019

Only 18 cars showed up for $20,000 to win. The result of another big 410 race in ND, plus major 410 shows in PA, CA, and so on. Not the among the better races of the year (hard charged passed three cars), but they all can't be classics. Onto Montana tomorrow.

That was a good one tonight. Sweet looked faster than anyone but Gravel before the late caution, but there appeared to be long run / short run differences.

Only 18 cars showed up for $20,000 to win. The result of another big 410 race in ND, plus major 410 shows in PA, CA, and so on. Not the among the better races of the year (hard charged passed three cars), but they all can't be classics. Onto Montana tomorrow.

18 cars in Rapid City? Guess I need to look on the site. I'm surprised at that car count. Where was the ND race at, River Cities in Grand Forks?

18 cars in Rapid City? Guess I need to look on the site. I'm surprised at that car count. Where was the ND race at, River Cities in Grand Forks?

NOSA 410s were running the same night as Rapid City. NOSA was running at River Cities, yes. They had 22 cars.
One of the best regional 410 series around! Runs at Grand Forks pretty much every Friday and usually at a different track in ND, SD or MN on Saturdays.

Hope the track widens out tonight. It was record-breaking fast last night but the cushion didn't move up enough for it to get racey. 19 cars for the two-day Skagit show is another low number. It seems like none of the CA teams came up for this NW swing, and most of the not-full timers are back running with the All-Stars and such. 19 cars can still put on a great show if they get the track prep right for tonight.

I'll be at Elma, WA on Monday and Lebanon, OR on Wednesday to see them.

I realize Reno-Fernley is the complete opposite side of a huge state in Nevada, but I wish they'd have put the Outlaws race a different weekend than NASCAR in Vegas.

Hopefully the WoO schedule works out to where IndyCar is the weekend before Elma / Lebanon again. I guess Lebanon figured out it's issues?

From what I see Terry McCarl was lucky to survive a bad crash last night

Here at Grays Harbor Raceway in Elma, WA there is a big crowd of enthusiastic fans, a good racey track (I like this high banked 3/8 mile) and...17 sprint cars in the pits. That is disappointing, there is no other way to cut it. Makes me wish there were viable 410 sprint racing in this region. Now that Skagit in northern WA doesn't run 410s anymore, there really isn't. Jason Solwold is the only guy from the entire PNW region with the team who can come out and compete.

It will still be a good main event, but the preliminary portions of the program are lacking with that small of a field.

Short field but good feature. Daryn Pittman wins for the first time since the opening nights this year in February after withstanding pressure from Carson Macedo, who had a good battle with Schatz for second, which Schatz ultimately won.

Grays Harbor is a fun track and I'd love to see them get more big races.

I realize Reno-Fernley is the complete opposite side of a huge state in Nevada, but I wish they'd have put the Outlaws race a different weekend than NASCAR in Vegas.
Well no worries there. Fernley already cancelled the WoO race. I guess they must have had too few advance tickets sell and felt they would lose money.

I couldn't even find tickets for Fernley anywhere. Glad I decided not to go and went to LVMS instead, something seemed fishy here.

I couldn't even find tickets for Fernley anywhere. Glad I decided not to go and went to LVMS instead, something seemed fishy here.
They were definitely selling them at some point. I had considered going out there and doing part of the NASCAR weekend and doing that WoO show. Decided against it anyway, but i had looked into the tickets before.
Was really cool to see a big race happening in Nevada besides in Vegas. The only one I know of is the short course track near Sparks with the Lucas Oil Off Road series.

My 'seat' tonight.

iFmbkNC.jpg

They were definitely selling them at some point. I had considered going out there and doing part of the NASCAR weekend and doing that WoO show. Decided against it anyway, but i had looked into the tickets before.
Was really cool to see a big race happening in Nevada besides in Vegas. The only one I know of is the short course track near Sparks with the Lucas Oil Off Road series.

Yeah I was pretty happy to see a big race (even sporting event for that matter) in Reno.

This was good stuff tonight in the main. Gravel chased Sweet for most of the race and looked to have a tick more speed at times. He got his chance and snuck around, but Sweet got him right back. It was thrilling to watch in person.

In other news, I learned last night that the only two WoO races of the 2019 season with a reduced purse of $8,000 to win (standard purse is usually $10,000) and less throughout the field are Grays Harbor and Willamette. This helps make sense of why beyond all of the other logistical hurdles, only the full timers are bothering with these races and car counts have dwindled. I hugely appreciate that WoO promotes these races out in the hinterland of the PNW, but I don't like that the teams get squeezed given their increased travel costs.

Pittman has been much stronger of late. Sweet has eaten into Schatz's points lead in each of the last four races, and it is now down to single digits.

Pittman has been much stronger of late. Sweet has eaten into Schatz's points lead in each of the last four races, and it is now down to single digits.

Doing this while on his turf as well. Sweet has a chance to really dig into it on this west coast s

Took my kid to P'ville last night. Really good racing. Track was ridiculous fast. Larson made it out before heading to Vegas. He started 18th in the Main and spun in 4 trying to get too much in the early laps. Ended up restarting near 20th and drive to 7th. Macedo was crazy fast, but made a single mistake and Shane took advantage. Shane is a wheel man and deserves a full time shot. On a side note Brad Sweet took over the points lead from Schatz. I told him to keep it because nobody wants Donny to win, lol.

Tonight was a heartbreaker for Jacob Allen. About to win his first WoO feature, and pulls off with a blown engine with two laps to go. Cruel twist of fate, and his teammate Schuchart wins again instead. Some good battling between Schuchart, Gravel, and Schatz at different points. Schatz reclaimed the points lead with a second place finish. Sweet finished 10th.

Tonight was a heartbreaker for Jacob Allen. About to win his first WoO feature, and pulls off with a blown engine with two laps to go. Cruel twist of fate, and his teammate Schuchart wins again instead. Some good battling between Schuchart, Gravel, and Schatz at different points. Schatz reclaimed the points lead with a second place finish. Sweet finished 10th.

It is almost unbelievable how far this team and driver(s) have come since starting out in sprint cars. Good to see hard work and dedication paying off. Hope they keep it up.

Top three in points with (I believe) 16 races to go:

1 15 Donny Schatz 8192 0 8 39 55
2 49 Brad Sweet 8182 -10 14 39 53
3 41 David Gravel 8076 -116 8 36 49

Needs to keep doing that to cut into Schatz point lead

Back
Top Bottom