Xfinity 2017 Thread

One has to wonder. If the cup guys didn't dominate the series like they do, and actual xfinity drivers could shine in their own spotlight for once, if bubba could have won a race or 2 by now and have decent sponsorship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One has to wonder. If the cup guys didn't dominate the series like they do, and actual xfinity drivers could shine in their own spotlight for once, if bubba could have won a race or 2 by now and have decent sponsorship?

Lol no

When Bubba passed Kyle Busch at a Martinsville truck race, and drove away to win, leaving Kyle sputtering and cussing in pit lane, that did more for Bubba's standing than half a dozen Xfinity wins against unknown kids would do. Just my $0.02.

Nobody knows who won or lost in IndyLights. Nor GP3. Nor Moto3.

They gave out this wonderful little stat yesterday on the radio about how 80% of the playoff points this season have gone to cup regulars. Something needs to be done about that if they're going to keep allowing them to race.

They gave out this wonderful little stat yesterday on the radio about how 80% of the playoff points this season have gone to cup regulars. Something needs to be done about that if they're going to keep allowing them to race.

I don't think anything needs to be done. If Xfinity regulars want those points they have to beat those Cup drivers. Cant give 1st place points to a 4th place finish.

I don't think anything needs to be done. If Xfinity regulars want those points they have to beat those Cup drivers. Cant give 1st place points to a 4th place finish.
17 playoff points have been awarded so far this season to Xfinity regulars...17.

These guys are supposed to have the same advantage and benefits that the cup guys do come the playoffs, and instead they'll all be going into it on an even playing field. Completely cancels out the existence of having this format to begin with. So yes, I absolutely do think you can reward 1st place points for a 4th place finisher. If someone was stealing Kyle's cup points and making them disappear into thin air you bet your ass he'd be crying a river if he was finishing 2nd every week.

I don't care if it's confusing for the people at home to figure out, the people in charge of scoring the points would have no problem at all doing it another way. This is the beast that they created. I mean hell, if we can crown a champion for a potential 20th place finish at Homestead, then we can absolutely do a little bit of math during the regular season imo. I mean really, what good does it do to crown Kyle Damn Busch a stage winner during an Xfinity race? We put the flag next his name and everything - It's 100% fruitless.

This argument that "Oh all they need to do is beat the cuppers if they want the points, etc." is tired. Clearly it ain't happening, right? We see the same thing every week. Whether it be talent, equipment, or whatever else...these young guys are in that series for a reason, and very rarely do we actually see them able to go blow for blow with the cup guys. That is just not fair to them to place those kind of expectations on them in their own series. Let them have their own game, per se, without others interfering.

Last edited:
17 playoff points have been awarded so far this season to Xfinity regulars...17.

These guys are supposed to have the same advantage and benefits that the cup guys do come the playoffs, and instead they'll all be going into it on an even playing field. Completely cancels out the existence of having this format to begin with. So yes, I absolutely do think you can reward 1st place points for a 4th place finisher. If someone was stealing Kyle's cup points and making them disappear into thin air you bet your ass he'd be crying a river if he was finishing 2nd every week.

I don't care if it's confusing for the people at home to figure out, the people in charge of scoring the points would have no problem at all doing it another way. This is the beast that they created. I mean hell, if we can crown a champion for a potential 20th place finish at Homestead, then we can absolutely do a little bit of math during the regular season imo. I mean really, what good does it do to crown Kyle Damn Busch a stage winner during an Xfinity race? We put the flag next his name and everything - It's 100% fruitless.

This argument that "Oh all they need to do is beat the cuppers if they want the points, etc." is tired. Clearly it ain't happening, right? We see the same thing every week. Whether it be talent, equipment, or whatever else...these young guys are in that series for a reason, and very rarely do we actually see them able to go blow for blow with the cup guys. That is just not fair to them to place those kind of expectations on them in their own series. Let them have their own game, per se, without others interfering.

Letting them have their own series would kill that series. It'd be like ARCA, while alot on here seem to like the style of racing ARCA has not alot watch it. 4th place is 4th place and receives 4th place points. If 4th place wants 1st place points he needs to win the race simple as that.

Xfinity didn't go down hill until carl Edwards dominated it for a year or 2. After kryle got on the scene it went downhill FAST and until something is done about the cup slumpers it won't change.

Not many cup slumpers drive in the truck races and I don't care where they are if there's a truck race that weekend it will hands down be the best race of the week.

Letting them have their own series would kill that series. It'd be like ARCA, while alot on here seem to like the style of racing ARCA has not alot watch it. 4th place is 4th place and receives 4th place points. If 4th place wants 1st place points he needs to win the race simple as that.
I'm not saying let them have their own series, but make it to where their possible playoff points don't just vanish. They should be rewarded to someone. The purpose of this system is to reward those that have great regular seasons to increase their chance at a championship in the end. Yes they have the same opportunity to earn those points on the outside looking in, yes the idea of beating the cup guys and being a badass sounds great, but when you place it into context you realize it isn't going to happen. Otherwise it would happen far more often than it currently does. An Allgaier, Byron, Custer should have a clear advantage come playoff time over someone like Spencer Gallager who tears up race cars every week. And currently they do not because of cuppers.

I'm not saying let them have their own series, but make it to where their possible playoff points don't just vanish. They should be rewarded to someone. The purpose of this system is to reward those that have great regular seasons to increase their chance at a championship in the end. Yes they have the same opportunity to earn those points on the outside looking in, yes the idea of beating the cup guys and being a badass sounds great, but when you place it into context you realize it isn't going to happen. Otherwise it would happen far more often than it currently does. An Allgaier, Byron, Custer should have a clear advantage come playoff time over someone like Spencer Gallager who tears up race cars every week. And currently they do not because of cuppers.
That is a well-constructed, persuasive argument. I might change my mind, after reading that. One thing though, there still are 15 playoff points on offer for Allgier, Byron, etc. at the end of the regular season. If Spencer Gallager drives as you say, he won't get those.

Explain to me how Allgaier, Byron, and Custer wont have an advantage against a guy like Gallagher. All three run constantly better than him and will get their playoff points once the regular season ends. If they want more they have to win a race or a stage.

When Bubba passed Kyle Busch at a Martinsville truck race, and drove away to win, leaving Kyle sputtering and cussing in pit lane, that did more for Bubba's standing than half a dozen Xfinity wins against unknown kids would do. Just my $0.02.

Nobody knows who won or lost in IndyLights. Nor GP3. Nor Moto3.

I agree with the point, but this 10 race cap isn't really doing much to stop Cup domination. To a point there does need to be Cup drivers, but there also needs to be Xfinity driver only races.

I agree with the point, but this 10 race cap isn't really doing much to stop Cup domination. To a point there does need to be Cup drivers, but there also needs to be Xfinity driver only races.
True. All but two races have been won by Cup regulars. Plus, the 10 race cap only applies to drivers who have been in Cup 5 years or more, so drivers like the Dillons, Larson, Blaney, Suarez, etc. can run as many as they want. The new rules have done almost nothing to curb Cup driver dominance.

There's still a decent amount of regular season playoff points to be had after Race 26.

Hornish is in for at least three races, both Iowa's and Mid-Ohio. He is deadly at Iowa and Mid-Ohio. Bubba? not so much.

Xfinity didn't go down hill until carl Edwards dominated it for a year or 2. After kryle got on the scene it went downhill FAST and until something is done about the cup slumpers it won't change.

Not many cup slumpers drive in the truck races and I don't care where they are if there's a truck race that weekend it will hands down be the best race of the week.

You must have not been around when Mark Martin, Jeff Burton, and Kevin Harvick use to destroy the series.

Good to see a young, developmental driver like Hornish, Junior get a shot at a decent ride – again.

Non cup?

He’s started almost 170 cup races…………….

Does he currently have a Cup ride? That is my point. He is a veteran that isn't in cup currently. I wonder to you have the same feelings towards Sadler, Allgaier, Gaughan, Suater, just to name a few?

Explain to me how Allgaier, Byron, and Custer wont have an advantage against a guy like Gallagher. All three run constantly better than him and will get their playoff points once the regular season ends. If they want more they have to win a race or a stage.

How tf you gonna get playoff points when the cup slumpers are dominating everything??

How tf you gonna get playoff points when the cup slumpers are dominating everything??

Its called beat them in a race. Also points leader at finish of regular season gets 15 points, which your "cup slumpers" cant get.

Its called beat them in a race. Also points leader at finish of regular season gets 15 points, which your "cup slumpers" cant get.

When the cup slumpers are running top notch equipment while most of the regulars are on the verge of bankruptcy.

I think the biggest detriment rn to Xfinity are Blaney, Larson, Elliott and the Dillons. I say this because those guys would be putting on one hell of a show at that level, but they have made it so early in their careers that we aren't seeing that young exciting racing at that level.

I will say the points system is an absolute must for this series, simply because without it the racing would terrible. For instance if the number one xfinity guy got winning points why would he bother racing the ME guys at all? Just let em pass and beat the rest of your class. That would produce some terrible racing. At least this way now they have to race them for those points

You see this actually quite often in dirt racing. Local guys take on the Arctic Cat and World of Outlaws guys and usually got smoked, however sometimes you get that Cinderella driver and that makes for some awesome moments

I think the biggest detriment rn to Xfinity are Blaney, Larson, Elliott and the Dillons. I say this because those guys would be putting on one hell of a show at that level, but they have made it so early in their careers that we aren't seeing that young exciting racing at that level.

Thats not a detriment in my opinion and another good thing about the limit rule I like. Guys like Larson, Blaney, Elliott, the Dillions are still developing but have already made their name off the Kyle Busch's of the world. They now get to develop more and maybe some kid makes a name for themselves off one of them.

When the cup slumpers are running top notch equipment while most of the regulars are on the verge of bankruptcy.

Its not impossible and most the top Xfinity drivers are in top notch stuff. JR Motorsports, RCR, Gibbs, SHR all have Xfinity regulars. Talent shows in the Xfinity series, thats why even the Xfinity points have Cup experienced guys at the top.

I do wanna say though that Xfinity prices need to come way down. $40 is insane for an Xfinity race IMO, that's why we're going to qualifying and ARCA tomorrow followed by swimming and be a tourist on Saturday

Since cup guys can't be in any of the Xseries playoff races, or run for that championship, what is the sense of getting Xseries playoff points. Besides, Xseries drivers have to be able to follow the cup guys, if they want to learn anything from them. Just watching them quickly pass by teaches them nothing. Don't you think the racing is better when cars battle with each other, rather than the first five cars having 10 seconds between them. If you want to keep cup guys in, then award Xseries points to Xseries drivers. Just saying they should beat cup drivers, if they want the points, makes no sense. If they could do that with any regularly, they would be cup drivers themselves. I have no problem with cup drivers being down there, but cup drivers should not get Xseries points. Neither should car owners get owner points, if they have cup guys driving those cars. You want to win the owners championship in Xseries, use Xseries drivers.

Since cup guys can't be in any of the Xseries playoff races, or run for that championship, what is the sense of getting Xseries playoff points. Besides, Xseries drivers have to be able to follow the cup guys, if they want to learn anything from them. Just watching them quickly pass by teaches them nothing. Don't you think the racing is better when cars battle with each other, rather than the first five cars having 10 seconds between them. If you want to keep cup guys in, then award Xseries points to Xseries drivers. Just saying they should beat cup drivers, if they want the points, makes no sense. If they could do that with any regularly, they would be cup drivers themselves. I have no problem with cup drivers being down there, but cup drivers should not get Xseries points. Neither should car owners get owner points, if they have cup guys driving those cars. You want to win the owners championship in Xseries, use Xseries drivers.

Ok first Cup drivers with less then 5 years at Cup will be able to compete in the Xfinity playoffs. So guys like Larson, Blaney, and the Dillons could still race in Xfinity playoffs same as they have so far for the Dash for Cash races.

I dont know where you are coming from with Cup drivers getting Xfinity playoff points because no Cup drivers gets any points in Xfinity. They get credit for a stage win and thats it.

Simple fact is if a Xfinity driver wants those playoff points he has to go get them with a stage or race win. Its not impossible and has happened before. What makes no sense at all is rewarding a 4th place finish with 1st place points just because he couldn't beat those 3 Cup drivers.

Lower the ticket cost. Hoping to spend the day at the track tomorrow, but still a little taken back by 40.00 general admission... oh well

Agreed $40 for Xfinity race is too much. I like the kids free rule but that needs to be extended to Cup as well in my opinion.

They could make the races free and the crowd still wouldn't increase by much I'm afraid.

They could make the races free and the crowd still wouldn't increase by much I'm afraid.

Possible. I'd like to see it tried out though. I feel many would consider doing it for a lesser price. It feels like it should be closer to 20 for a general admission.

Back
Top Bottom