Xfinity 2017 Thread

I think the few we have now is fine. You dont want to over do it because then it just becomes a Cup race. You cant deny that racing Cup drivers and beating them in lower series hasn't helped guys like Larson and Jones both on track and off.

I would go with what the second tier guys say as I don't watch those series mainly due to cup participants.

I would go with what the second tier guys say as I don't watch those series mainly due to cup participants.

I've never heard a Xfinity regular complain about Cup participation. Now thats mainly from post race interviews but if any did I'd question their competitiveness. Why wouldn't you want to race a Cup driver if your goal is to make it to Cup?

I'm not in favor of having rules or policies that protect teams that show up to race with poorly prepared cars. They all have the same rulebook, the same inspections. If you aren't good enough, then get better (or be content at the back of the pack). JMO.

I agree. While I do think the large gap in competition is a problem, I have no idea what the solution is at this point.

I agree. While I do think the large gap in competition is a problem, I have no idea what the solution is at this point.
It's a "problem" in every race series at every level of competition and has been since forever.

There are teams racing late models that show up with two fully prepared cars in a Cup level transporter ... racks of dynoed shocks, 2 spare engines, transmissions, complete rear end assemblies and on and on.

Teams racing with fewer resources are there because they love the game. It isn't complicated.

It's a "problem" in every race series at every level of competition and has been since forever.

There are teams racing late models that show up with two fully prepared cars in a Cup level transporter ... racks of dynoed shocks, 2 spare engines, transmissions, complete rear end assemblies and on and on.

Teams racing with fewer resources are there because they love the game. It isn't complicated.

The "problem" IMO is that the natural gap you speak of has widened significantly over the years.

The "problem" IMO is that the natural gap you speak of has widened significantly over the years.
Matter of opinion.

When there were fewer Cup team owners running Busch cars on the side, there were Busch owners with far greater resources at their disposal than their back half of the field competitors had.

This stuff is fundamental to auto racing. It will never change because free enterprise.

Bill Baumgardner's teams won three years in a row (Benson and Lajoie x2) in the mid/late 90's. Didn't Jeff Green win a title with PPC in the early 2000's?

Jeff Green with ppc in 2000 was the last non-Cup team to win a championship. DEI with Dale Earnhardt Jr. in 98 and 99 was the first team to win a Busch championship while also owning Cup teams.

Matter of opinion.

When there were fewer Cup team owners running Busch cars on the side, there were Busch owners with far greater resources at their disposal than their back half of the field competitors had.

This stuff is fundamental to auto racing. It will never change because free enterprise.

The most competitive Xfinity teams in the modern day Xfinity series struggle to find sponsorship and rarely run near the top 10. To some people that is a problem, to others maybe not.

I've never heard a Xfinity regular complain about Cup participation. Now thats mainly from post race interviews but if any did I'd question their competitiveness. Why wouldn't you want to race a Cup driver if your goal is to make it to Cup?

In reality I don't give a hoot what the drivers want as they aren't the customers paying to get in to see the race. I suppose it doesn't really matter anymore as not many people show up to watch X or trucks and they are not a big draw at home.

The most competitive Xfinity teams in the modern day Xfinity series struggle to find sponsorship and rarely run near the top 10. To some people that is a problem, to others maybe not.
It's problematic.

If there's a solution, it has yet to be devised.

Composite bodies should help a little bit, in theory. But it'll take a lot to really make a difference.

They are doing that in the lower series and also an optional spec motor that they can run for a whole season if they take care of it, it's pretty cool. They also let them continue to buy older frames and bodies from cup teams if they want.

In reality I don't give a hoot what the drivers want as they aren't the customers paying to get in to see the race. I suppose it doesn't really matter anymore as not many people show up to watch X or trucks and they are not a big draw at home.

I'm a fan of racing not just NASCAR and if a Cup driver is in an Xfinity race I see it as a plus. They are the best and you're paying half price to see them race so I'm not sure why a paying customer would complain.

They are doing that in the lower series and also an optional spec motor that they can run for a whole season if they take care of it, it's pretty cool. They also let them continue to buy older frames and bodies from cup teams if they want.
I feel like I haven't heard anything on the Delta Engine since it was announced last year. I think when you get to the national series level it gets harder to make any significant gains with a spec engine program because OEMs threaten to pull the plug on their support of the teams and whatnot.

Yeah they were going for the trucks, Roush Yates, but Kyle Damn Busch and Toyota put the kabash on that.

But I believe spec engines in K&N and ARCA are still available.
NASCAR currently uses a spec engine in the K&N Pro Series tour which was instituted to lower the expense of competition nearly a decade ago. Robert Yates has built the engines for that series since 2009. The cost is around $28,000 but teams can purchase kits and build their own engines. Ilmor Engineering builds spec engines for ARCA which run about $40,000 and can run 1,500 miles or 1,500 laps before a rebuild is necessary.

https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-t...-crate-engines-to-truck-teams-in-2016-668974/

I'm a fan of racing not just NASCAR and if a Cup driver is in an Xfinity race I see it as a plus. They are the best and you're paying half price to see them race so I'm not sure why a paying customer would complain.

If the fans want to see cuppers in the junior series so be it as I won't be watching or attending any races. Other than that as long as people don't try and harmonize statistics from all three series I am good.

If the fans want to see cuppers in the junior series so be it as I won't be watching or attending any races. Other than that as long as people don't try and harmonize statistics from all three series I am good.

Win is a win and if its in one of NASCAR's top 3 series it counts. Still find it odd that you watch Cup but Cup drivers keep you from lower series but I've found alot of things odd since joining this forum.

So you find it odd that a fan is actually a fan? I didn't expect this place to be so negative when I joined but man I was wrong.

We are all fans here, obviously. But many of us have been fans for a really long time and have a good understanding of what needs to change (in our opinions) to make it better. Some newer fans think it's perfect how it is, and that's fine too.

We are all fans here, obviously. But many of us have been fans for a really long time and have a good understanding of what needs to change (in our opinions) to make it better. Some newer fans think it's perfect how it is, and that's fine too.

I wouldn't call myself a newer fan as NASCAR has alaway been on my TV and been at the track since I was little. I am a younger fan though and think NASCAR has done all the right things with the Playoffs and the emphasis on winning. I understand that NASCAR has problems but in my opinion they do a good job of finding the solutions.

So you find it odd that a fan is actually a fan? I didn't expect this place to be so negative when I joined but man I was wrong.

A lot of us remember when xfinity (Busch series nationwide whatever the hell you wanna call it) was its own entity and worth tuning in for every weekend. While there were a couple of cup slumpers it was worth watching because the series had its own set of elite drivers. When carl Edwards started coming and stinking up the show every weekend the popularity tanked and then Busch came in and ruined it even more. 10 years later I think I've watched maybe 2 or 3 xfinity races and cup slumpers have won them all. I've got better **** to do than to watch 10 cup drivers every weekend beat the young guys who are trying to earn exposure and sponsorship.

Sure the young guys learn something from cup drivers but when the top 10 is nothing but cuppers, the regulars don't get the tv time they need to earn sponsorship and get noticed. See the problem here yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of us remember when xfinity (Busch series nationwide whatever the hell you wanna call it) was its own entity and worth tuning in for every weekend. While there were a couple of cup slumpers it was worth watching because the series had its own set of elite drivers. When carl Edwards started coming and stinking up the show every weekend the popularity tanked and then Busch came in and ruined it even more. 10 years later I think I've watched maybe 2 or 3 xfinity races and cup slumpers have won them all. I've got better sh!t to do than to watch 10 cup drivers every weekend beat the young guys who are trying to earn exposure and sponsorship.

Sure the young guys learn something from cup drivers but when the top 10 is nothing but cuppers, the regulars don't get the tv time they need to earn sponsorship and get noticed. See the problem here yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I get what you are saying I dont see it as a problem. An Xfinity driver has a better chance of gaining exposure and sponsorship by beating a Cuo driver. I've seen kids beat Cup drivers and those kids are now racing in Cup so it gained them exposure for sure.

I don't know about perfect and I have been a racing fan a long time, way before it became a fad. But in all the years I have been watching Nascar particularly. The newest car they have races the best., Can't say that about any of the other series. Global Rally if you want to see something similar to Nascar 60 years ago, racing short tracks with maybe 80 MPH top speed beating and banging. IMO decent racing, but nothing like what Nascar is today. I happen to like the direction Nascar has gone.

Actually, we are not all fans. There was a thread about "are you a fan of Nascar racing" and about one-third of the people who posted identified themselves as not a fan or having only slight interest. Also, it seems to me that some people here actively root for Nascar to fail and decline further, perhaps to protect their "I told you so" rights. And some prolific posters here brag almost daily about how little they care about Nascar racing.

I do agree with your main point, that older fans (and newer ones too) have a wide range of opinions about what would make Nascar better. I absolutely agree with that. It is fascinating to see how different the tone is here versus some other message boards in discussing the exact same topic. Often radically different...:idunno:

Win is a win and if its in one of NASCAR's top 3 series it counts.
All wins count for "something" but not all wins count for the same thing. Dick Trickle got over 1,500 of them. Steve Kinser got nearly 600 counting only elite level wins. I could go on, but I'm done. :mad:

Actually, we are not all fans. There was a thread about "are you a fan of Nascar racing" and about one-third of the people who posted identified themselves as not a fan or having only slight interest. Also, it seems to me that some people here actively root for Nascar to fail and decline further, perhaps to protect their "I told you so" rights. And some prolific posters here brag almost daily about how little they care about Nascar racing.

I do agree with your main point, that older fans (and newer ones too) have a wide range of opinions about what would make Nascar better. I absolutely agree with that. It is fascinating to see how different the tone is here versus some other message boards in discussing the exact same topic. Often radically different...:idunno:

Woo you said a mouthful there and so true. I often wonder how much of a hindrance it is to attract new members to the forum.

All wins count for "something" but not all wins count for the same thing. Dick Trickle got over 1,500 of them. Steve Kinser got nearly 600 counting only elite level wins. I could go on, but I'm done. :mad:

Which is great. Just because one races Cup doesn't mean they shouldn't race anywhere else. For me though NASCAR has its top 3 series that race at the same tracks and as long as Cup drivers are available they should be able to run. If they win ill acknowledged it as its not easy to win on either series

See ya. Have a good one.

Im not going anywhere because the ones that are negative, I can have decent conversations with. Not you so much because you seem to be stuck in your ways and not one to discuss difference in opinion.

Guess that’s where the cars originally scheduled to be driven by Wallace as #6s are.

I sure wish there was a Cup race at Newton, not so they'd poach the Xfinity race but because I love that track.

New Primary Sponsor for Tifft

For five races starting next week @KySpeedway, @Fanatics will have its first primary car sponsorship -- this on @matt_tifft's No. 19 Toyota.

DDf7au8V0AAV1Yc.jpg:large

Back
Top Bottom