All stories about Smoke

According to a physician that works with drivers, weight bearing will be the big issue and recovery for such an injury typically is "up to 12 weeks for a full recovery'' with lots of physical therapy.

I don't remember if Kyle broke both bones in his leg or not. I just remember him missing a big chunk of the season. There's a video out there somewhere of him going through some of his physical therapy. Wasn't fun to watch.

Tony not being able to walk and not being able to drive are 2 different things. If they can devise something to protect the leg in a way that keeps it from sustaining further injury in another crash he may return sooner than many people expect.

Tony not being able to walk and not being able to drive are 2 different things. If they can devise something to protect the leg in a way that keeps it from sustaining further injury in another crash he may return sooner than many people expect.

Sounds like magic. If there was a device that kept legs from getting hurt in accidents, wouldn't we all have some in our cars?

Sweet, Papis will be driving the 14 on Sunday. It'll be nice to see what a "ringer" can accomplish in a top-notch, Hendrick-powered Chevy!

Last time I checked, Tony Stewart is an adult, and adults have more freedom because they tend to be able to understand the risk when they do certain activities. I'm sure Tony Stewart understood the risk of Sprint Car racing, and accepted those risks. I'm also sure that he's not going to blame anyone else for the injuries (maybe himself?) because he knows it's a part of racing.

And? What's your point?

Of course he can do whatever he wants, whose saying he cant?

The point I was making was about if it was worth the risk or not? Clearly it is not as this injury takes Tony out of a possible run for a fourth championship.

Personally, I'm not a Tony fan so him not being able to run NASCAR races for a while doesn't impact me in any way but I am sure his fans feel different and the majority feel like he should have been more cautious as far as running this death traps that are the Sprint cars.

Just saying, Tony had more ogligations and responsabilities, not just to his fans but to all his sponsors as well.

Injuries happens in all forms of motorsports and at any given moment of course but I am sure his sponsors dont feel too good about this outcome.

In the end it all about money in this sport.

And? What's your point?

The point I was making was about if it was worth the risk or not? Clearly it is not as this injury takes Tony out of a possible run for a fourth championship.

Personally, I'm not a Tony fan so him not being able to run NASCAR races for a while doesn't impact me in any way but I am sure his fans feel different and the majority feel like he should have been more cautious as far as running this death traps that are the Sprint cars.

Just saying, Tony had more ogligations and responsabilities, not just to his fans but to all his sponsors as well.

Injuries happens in all forms of motorsports and at any given moment of course but I am sure his sponsors dont feel too good about this outcome.

But the risk is worth it to Tony. His fans understand that he's done it all in Nascar and has earned the right to live the life he wants to.

Until Nascar itself mandates that cup drivers cant race nything else on their off time, this will continue to happen.

And? What's your point?

Just saying, Tony had more obligations and responsibilities, not just to his fans but to all his sponsors as well.

^^^^
this

But the risk is worth it to Tony. His fans understand that he's done it all in Nascar and has earned the right to live the life he wants to.

Until Nascar itself mandates that cup drivers cant race nything else on their off time, this will continue to happen.

Fair enough. True.

I just realized something. Every driver who messes with Joey ends up all screwed up.

Actually,, in the end it's all about what Tony wants to do. I'm sure all the people who are second guessing Tony's decision to keep racing are 100% sure that they know what's best for the man, and how they know whether it was worth the risk (to him) or not.

However, keep in mind, the drivers are NOT employees of NASCAR. They are considered independent contractors.

Actually,, in the end it's all about what Tony wants to do. I'm sure all the people who are second guessing Tony's decision to keep racing are 100% sure that they know what's best for the man, and how they know whether it was worth the risk (to him) or not.

In his personal life, yes its whatever he wants to do but lets not forget this is a sport hinged on sponsorships.

Tony does what he does because the sponsors allow him to. The minute they say dont do this or that and he still does it anyway I guarantee you those sponsors will take their money with them and walk away.

Kyle Busch anyone? Remember when he intentionally wrecked Hornday and M&Ms almost, almost walked? Yeah exactly.

Like I said, sponsorship and money is the key ingredients here.

In his personal life, yes its whatever he wants to do but lets not forget this is a sport hinged on sponsorships.

Tony does what he does because the sponsors allow him to. The minute they say dont do this or that and he still does it anyway I guarantee you those sponsors will take their money with them and walk away.

Kyle Busch anyone? Remember when he intentionally wrecked Hornday and M&Ms almost, almost walked? Yeah exactly.

Like I said, sponsorship and money is the key ingredients here.
Key words there. almost walked. Did they? Nope. And really a different situation as well. Kyle's actions put that sponsor in a bad light. Tony's (arguably) over competitive nature and desire to race did not. But time will tell. They may, they may not. My point is, you (and others) are second guessing and questioning his desire to race.

Tony owns the team. The sponsors know what they're getting with Tony and his other racing. I wold also say that Tony is the type that won't be put off by losing sponsors.

Now, if when Larson comes up and is told by the owner that he can't drive Sprint cars, I'd be okay with that. Larson has to anwser to someone higher up. Tony really doesn't.

Key words there. almost walked. Did they? Nope. And really a different situation as well. Kyle's actions put that sponsor in a bad light. Tony's (arguably) over competitive nature and desire to race did not. But time will tell. They may, they may not. My point is, you (and others) are second guessing and questioning his desire to race.

How am I second guessing his desire to race? Because I'm saying its too risky for him to race outside his primary sport?

I'd be content if Tony kept it within the NASCAR brand of racing. Whatever happens happens.

I just think these Sprint cars are too dangerous and the risks you take are not worth your life.

Tony owns the team. The sponsors know what they're getting with Tony and his other racing. I wold also say that Tony is the type that won't be put off by losing sponsors.

Now, if when Larson comes up and is told by the owner that he can't drive Sprint cars, I'd be okay with that. Larson has to anwser to someone higher up. Tony really doesn't.

Tony co-owns the team with Gene Hass so technically he has to at least talk things over with him about what's best for their team.

Is it a 50/50 deal or does Tony have the greater ownership percentage? Not quite sure on that.

Tony co-owns the team with Gene Hass so technically he has to at least talk things over with him about what's best for their team.

Is it a 50/50 deal or does Tony have the greater ownership percentage? Not quite sure on that.[/quote
True but I'm sure they've had these type of convos and maybe will agqin. Tony is obviously headstrong

I like seeing drivers race in other types of cars. Back in the day drivers did that more often to get some extra cash and added to their skills. Today racing is big business (at least NASCAR is); teams and sponsors prefer to restrict that activity (and I understand why) - I think that is too bad. Seeing NASCAR drivers in the 24 Hours of Daytona or Tony's special Eldora race (forgot the name of the event) is good for racing. NASCAR claims their drivers are the best in the world but unless they are tested against drivers outside the series that claim falls flat.

Is it a 50/50 deal or does Tony have the greater ownership percentage? Not quite sure on that.

His name does come first :idunno:

in 2007 tony "decided" not to race the Knoxville late model nationals. rumor had it that was at the direction of j.d. gibbs.

http://www.knoxvilleraceway.com/article.aspx?id=659

Stewart Trades Helmet for Pen at Lucas Oil Knoxville Late Model Nationals
Monday, September 24, 2007 by Bruce Neimeth – Citing his current position in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series championship point standings, Tony Stewart has decided not to compete in this weekend’s Lucas Oil Knoxville Late Model Nationals at Knoxville Raceway. However, the two-time Nextel Cup champion will attend Saturday night’s finale as a spectator and participate in an autograph session at the race track.

“As much as I wanted to race in the Late Model Nationals at Knoxville, I thought it would take away my main focus of winning a Nextel Cup championship,” said Stewart, who is currently second in the Nextel Cup point standings, just two points behind series leader Jeff Gordon. “We have over 400 people back at Joe Gibbs Racing pouring everything they have into giving me the best race cars possible to win a third championship. I owe it to them to remain healthy and focused on achieving that goal.”

The top-seven drivers in this year’s Chase for the Nextel Cup are separated by less than 50 points. This weekend’s race at Kansas Speedway marks the eighth to last race of the season, and in order to gain even more knowledge to apply to his Nextel Cup effort on Sunday, Stewart is participating in the NASCAR Busch Series race at Kansas on Saturday.

“I sincerely apologize to anyone who was looking forward to seeing me race at Knoxville, and I hope that my fans can understand my reasons for not competing,” Stewart said. “While I won’t be racing, I look forward to attending the Late Model Nationals on Saturday night to sign autographs and watch what is sure to be another outstanding event at Knoxville.”

After completing Saturday’s Busch Series race at Kansas, Stewart will fly to Knoxville. Upon his arrival, he will sign autographs in a special session for 750 fans at the Bingley Building at Knoxville Raceway. The first 750 persons going into the grandstand on Thursday night with a ticket will receive a special wristband that will allow them into the Saturday autograph session.

“While we are disappointed that fans will not get the chance to see Tony drive as hard as he did in 2006, where he came up one spot short of winning his first Knoxville Raceway championship as a driver, we are excited to see Tony at the top in NASCAR again,” said Ralph Capitani, director of racing at Knoxville Raceway. “We understand his reasons for not racing and appreciate his longstanding support of grassroots racing.”

Nextel Cup drivers
Ryan Newman and Kenny Schrader will represent the stock car set on Thursday and Saturday night. Newman last raced at Knoxville Raceway in a USAC Silver Crown car in 2000 while Schrader raced a Late Model at Knoxville in 2006.

Reserved tickets for all three nights of racing are available online at www.knoxvilleraceway.com or by phone at (941) 842-5431. General admission tickets are available each day at the track.

Two reasons Tony left Gibbs, that is one above, and the other is Toyota. His sprint car teams, and he had two at the time were sponsored by Chevrolet. When Gibbs switched to Toyota, Tony was gone at the end of the year. No where to go though, so he started his own team.

Two reasons Tony left Gibbs, that is one above, and the other is Toyota. His sprint car teams, and he had two at the time were sponsored by Chevrolet. When Gibbs switched to Toyota, Tony was gone at the end of the year. No where to go though, so he started his own team.

I highly doubt that was one of the reasons. Tony's ego is not that big.

Afterall, it was for his own sake. And the company obviously.

Sounds like magic. If there was a device that kept legs from getting hurt in accidents, wouldn't we all have some in our cars?

Seriously? I know you aren't as much of an Idiot as your post implies but your trolling probably makes the noobs wonder about you.

Seriously? I know you aren't as much of an Idiot as your post implies but your trolling probably makes the noobs wonder about you.

Just be happy I didn't call you a dummy for that last post of yours. You sounded like a drunken engineer overdosing on Quaaludes. "Hey Zippy, put dat leg don't get hurt in an accident thingy on his leg". :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom