All stories about Smoke

Maybe it all would have been avoided if he woulda just stretched good before the race. :D

Capture.JPG

I think something that gets overlooked too is that Tony is completely his own man. He owns his own team, doesn't have a wife and children at home so he has a lot of time to himself where he is free to do whatever he chooses, such as racing these dirt track events. Accidents happen but Tony enjoys going to these tracks and the fans enjoy seeing him there.

DW had it right on Nascar Hub. Tony would rather be racing sprint cars on Saturday night, drinking beer and chilling with his buddies then dealing with all the Cup nonsense. He's a Sprint car driver masquerading as a Cup Driver.
Yeah I have heard him say that he races cup so he can pay the bills to run his sprints. He had to start his own team in cup. he got out of Gibbs because Gibbs didn't want him running dirt cars, and Gibbs also switched to Toyota. He will be back as soon as he can, probably a lot sooner than the docs think he should be I bet. Not going to be any Hamlin like drama.

Yeah I have heard him say that he races cup so he can pay the bills to run his sprints. He had to start his own team in cup. he got out of Gibbs because Gibbs didn't want him running dirt cars, and Gibbs also switched to Toyota. He will be back as soon as he can, probably a lot sooner than the docs think he should be I bet. Not going to be any Hamlin like drama.

If I was Tony, I wouldn't come back til next year.. the recovery time is 12 weeks so while I think it would be less painful then for Denny with a screwed up back, I don't see it.

I guess we can bet on when he will be back next, I bet it isn't close to 12 weeks, be surprised if it is 6.

There's been much posted about how Stewart shouldn't be subject to criticism for doing what he wants to do in his racing career. But at the age of 42, isn't it about time that he realized the difference between what he wants to be doing and what he needs to be doing ?

Several have posted regarding Stewart's obligations and responsibilites to his sponsors and his fans. IMO, his obligations and responsibilities to those employed by Stewart-Haas Racing far out-weigh anything that he might owe to sponsors and fans.

In an earlier post regarding Stewart's decision in 2007 to not compete in Late Model races at Knoxville, he was quoted as saying: "We have over 400 people back at Joe Gibbs Racing pouring everything they have into giving me the best race cars possible to win a third championship. I owe it to them to remain healthy and focused on achieving that goal."

Whatever happened to the sentiment ? Is it just all about Tony now ?

Maybe upon recovery, Stewart will take up sky-diving, running with the bulls, and what the hell, nobody's gone over Niagara Falls in a barrel lately so WTF, if that's what he wants to do, why not ?

Maybe upon recovery, Stewart will take up sky-diving, running with the bulls, and what the hell, nobody's gone over Niagara Falls in a barrel lately so WTF, if that's what he wants to do, why not ?

:XXROFL::XXROFL: :XXROFL:

Kyle Busch anyone? Remember when he intentionally wrecked Hornday and M&Ms almost, almost walked? Yeah exactly.

Like I said, sponsorship and money is the key ingredients here.

I thought the 18 was plain the next race via a 1-race sponsorship pull?

I thought the 18 was plain the next race via a 1-race sponsorship pull?

M&Ms definitely sat out one race but if I remember correctly Castrol Oil came aboard.

It probably took Joe some serious talking with the M&Ms heads to stay, that's for sure.

Quaker State. That's the sponsor that was put on for those races M&Ms sat out.

good thread........enjoyed all reads.

broke both ---big tibula....little fibula....in lower leg. severity a' break will determine rehab time frame.
"broke " is a media term. we'll hear "how broke" from surgeons tomorrow i'm sure.

i'm bettin he's back sooner than most believe......tryin ta top dale sr...tha king.....denny......drivin hurt.
want ad----2 huge weightlifters---ta stuff tony w/ cast into car......then remove....race end. ha!

There's been much posted about how Stewart shouldn't be subject to criticism for doing what he wants to do in his racing career. But at the age of 42, isn't it about time that he realized the difference between what he wants to be doing and what he needs to be doing ?

Several have posted regarding Stewart's obligations and responsibilites to his sponsors and his fans. IMO, his obligations and responsibilities to those employed by Stewart-Haas Racing far out-weigh anything that he might owe to sponsors and fans.

In an earlier post regarding Stewart's decision in 2007 to not compete in Late Model races at Knoxville, he was quoted as saying: "We have over 400 people back at Joe Gibbs Racing pouring everything they have into giving me the best race cars possible to win a third championship. I owe it to them to remain healthy and focused on achieving that goal."

Whatever happened to the sentiment ? Is it just all about Tony now ?

Some people just don't get it. Yes he's an adult and can do whatever he wants but he has a lot of employees at SHR who depend on him. Not one person has said they know better than him but it's just common sense, when you run a million dollar business(like a Cup team) you have to have your priorities in order.

Some people just don't get it. Yes he's an adult and can do whatever he wants but he has a lot of employees at SHR who depend on him. Not one person has said they know better than him but it's just common sense, when you run a million dollar business(like a Cup team) you have to have your priorities in order.

Well said. Mobile 1's statement didn't say anything to support his sprint car racing, but it sounds like they are sticking with him. I hope he does less of these races until he's out of the cup car.

Since Tony isn't gonna be behind the wheel he should be in the tv booth. Tony with a live mic could be very entertaining.

Yes he would, but I have a feeling that would make him shrivel up and die. Maybe when he's 80 he would settle for the booth.

Now we just need to hope that with all of the extra time that Smoke has, he'll come on this board, read this thread and get his priorities in order. Maybe this will be his wake up call?

Now we just need to hope that with all of the extra time that Smoke has, he'll come on this board, read this thread and get his priorities in order. Maybe this will be his wake up call?

If a broken leg and missing the chase doesn't make him rethink his schedule, these words of wisdom will be treated like little balls of sheet.

Since Tony isn't gonna be behind the wheel he should be in the tv booth. Tony with a live mic could be very entertaining.

i would love to hear that!

jmo: when i finally become a mega-millionaire, i hope to be able to do whatever my heart desires. and if that means losing everything i made out of nothing, at least i will still have what i started with.

especially if he's all hopped up on pain medication . . .

Just read he has a Grade 2 fracture which is a open fracture, wound > 1 cm in length without extensive soft-tissue damage, flaps, avulsions. IOW bone broke the skin.

After the swelling is reduced they'll do a second surgery to install plate(s) and screws to stabilize the bones. Someone mentioned full weight bearing in 12 weeks, probably so but he'll be up and around on crutches, than a cane way before then.
Bill Elliot broke his hip, had surgery and only missed 7 races. Tony will be back before the seasons end.

Maybe he did and I missed it but I'm really surprised that Andy hadn't already posted this.....

Tony Stewart posted the following message on Facebook, "I told someone to go get my phone or else I was going to get up and get it myself. Finally got reconnected to the world and just want to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes. My team will remain strong and I will be back."

Stewart underwent surgery Tuesday morning as a preliminary procedure to stabilize and clean the Grade 2 injury. A second surgery will be necessary, according to his team.

Although the team did not speculate on Stewart’s recovery time, Dr. Mark Adickes, a Harvard-trained orthopedic surgeon and former pro football player affiliated with the Ironman Sports Medicine Institute and University of Texas Medical School, doesn’t expect the driver to return before the Chase for the Sprint Cup.
"If Tony Stewart's fracture extends into the ankle joint it could be three months before he drives,” Adickes told FOXSports.com. “If it is a less serious break he could be back as early as six weeks. An earlier return than that would really surprise me. He was obviously in quite a bit of pain to leave on a stretcher. A more minor fracture would have left him a bit more mobile. I suspect therefore it doesn't look good for the foreseeable future.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...eg-watkins-glen-sprint-cup-race-080613#!ht6wy

Saw this. Not sure if it's available anywhere else.....

@SiriusXMNASCAR
REMINDER: @maxpapis & Greg Zipadelli (@GZipadelli) will address the media with an @StewartHaasRcng update. We will air it LIVE at 11am ET!

Maybe he did and I missed it but I'm really surprised that Andy hadn't already posted this.....

Tony Stewart posted the following message on Facebook, "I told someone to go get my phone or else I was going to get up and get it myself. Finally got reconnected to the world and just want to say thank you for all the prayers and well wishes. My team will remain strong and I will be back."

Exactly why Brad used to bring his into the car.

Beaver said everybody heals at different rates from this type of injury. He said the surgery typically requires a rod being place in the leg to allow the broken bones to heal. He said a racecar driver could come back sooner than an athlete that depends on his legs for running, but there are other inherent risks.
Because a driver sits for a long period of time, Beaver said blood thinners likely would be prescribed to prevent clots. A driver isn't likely to be medically cleared while on blood thinners because that opens the risk of bleeding to death if involved in an injury.
Once the driver returns, Beaver said the risk of re-injuring the tibia during another wreck isn't great with a rod because the impact would have to be extremely hard to break it.
"Most of them when we put a rod in, then you really can get aggressive with rehab,'' Beaver said. "You can get back into activities within four, six to eight weeks, but reduced activities of weight bearing.''

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cu...cing-preparing-prolonged-tony-stewart-absence

Zippy said they're talking to drivers to sub for the next 2-3 races.

I wonder which drivers (other than Papis) SHR is talking to for the next few races.

Austin Dillon?

That'd be cool to see, I like Austin. Even though he was likely born with a silver spoon in his mouth he doesn't seem to have the arrogance or attitude that some of his competitors have. Just seems like a good guy, and a heck of a race car driver too.

That'd be cool to see, I like Austin. Even though he was likely born with a silver spoon in his mouth he doesn't seem to have the arrogance or attitude that some of his competitors have. Just seems like a good guy, and a heck of a race car driver too.
It's not too far fetched. He has a deal with Chevy and Tony and Pop-Pop are friends and he showed Tony something at the Eldora Truck race.
Be good to see what he can do with the HMS stuff.

It's not too far fetched. He has a deal with Chevy and Tony and Pop-Pop are friends and he showed Tony something at the Eldora Truck race.
Be good to see what he can do with the HMS stuff.

Not far fetched at all, I'd like to see an up and comer get an opportunity to showcase their talents rather than some veteran plug. The question is will granpappy let him go, remember he blocked Sadler from taking the part time ride in the 55, although that may have had more to do with manufacturer politics.

Back
Top Bottom