2017-18 Fall/Winter Weather Thread

If I could get natural gas out here, I'd change everything out really fast.
Don't like propane because it leaves an oily residue on everything when it burns.
Yep. We never cook in the camper because of that and cooking smells clinging to everything. Outside under the awning suits us just fine.

I live just North of Nashville...... So. Kentucky...... It's been pretty cold here also.......My natural gas bill was $104 and the electric $100 last month.... that's pretty normal..... although we just put in a new gas HVAC unit last month to the tune of 5 grand....... with the old one... I have had gas bills in the winter upwards of $200.

My gas bill annually averages about $20/mo.
Normally the pilot isn’t even lit in my heater (1955 house.)
Electric and water is very affordable here, also.
Housing, on the other hand...

It's interesting reading these monthly figures some of you all are paying for heat/electric/gas and the like. I've come to the determination that I need to move my a$$ on down south. I may actually be able to retire if that were the case.

As far as the weather goes, sitting at 17 degrees here this fine morning. Glancing at the accuweather weather calendar for January, they're actually calling for every single day through the end of the month to climb above freezing. That would be awesome.

Our first house had electric heat, good way to end up in the poor house IMO. It also had a Atlanta Homesteader wood burning stove like this one pictured. There was a steel firebox under this 'ornamental' pressed steel shell. In hindsight it was great at preventing our kids at getting burned and kept us very warm.
In-laws moved to New Port Ritchey, Fla. All electric including a massive a/c unit and the electric bill was peanuts compared to my bill up here, they had power supplied by a nuke plant.
To heat a house with propane here is extremely expensive, #2 fuel oil isn't far behind. I never had nat gas heat before this house but should we move the new place will have nat gas,,,and a pellet stove. :)

atlanta_homesteader_wood_stove_250x166.jpg

I live just North of Nashville...... So. Kentucky...... It's been pretty cold here also.......My natural gas bill was $104 and the electric $100 last month.... that's pretty normal..... although we just put in a new gas HVAC unit last month to the tune of 5 grand....... with the old one... I have had gas bills in the winter upwards of $200.
I'm going to dread all my utility bills for this month. I have natural gas for heat which will go up because it has been unusually cold. Then the electric will go up because of the heaters in the garage for the cats to have a warm spot. Water will go up because of leaving a facet dripping over night. :(

Can't bring the cats in from the garage? Do you know where your water line freezes?
Have you tried a heat tape? They works wonders
We had a rental that the kitchen water line would freeze but if the lower cabinet doors were left open at night they didn't freeze.

Can't bring the cats in from the garage? Do you know where your water line freezes?
Have you tried a heat tape? They works wonders
We had a rental that the kitchen water line would freeze but if the lower cabinet doors were left open at night they didn't freeze.

A. Nope of the yard cats. They are mostly feral.
B. Don't know about the water line. It has never frozen while I've owned the house.
C. Heat tape for what?
D. Interesting. My kitchen water line is the coldest always. It comes off the line first as far as I can tell. I drip the water because I'm afraid not to.

Turned into a gorgeous, sunny, warm afternoon -- 77* on the back porch in the shade.
Put the charger on the mower for a couple of hours. Cranked it up and just finished running it around the very back of the property.

All the windows in the house are open to let the breeze blow out some of the winter stuffiness. And, yes, I know winter isn't over -- not
by a long shot. But I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts --- probably just today. LOL

It got up to 63 and clear blue skies today. House wide open to air it out also.

High of 68 here today. All the snow is gone. Yay, that's enough to last me another year. Yard man is coming out today because he likes to work weekends.

We only got down to 37 overnight. Awesome for a January evening round these parts. We're to hit a high today of 58. I hope to see all this snow melt away although that may not be good for the low lying areas. I don't live all that far away from the Allegheny River, one of the two that flow into Pittsburgh that form the Ohio River. Last week, all of the ice build-up broke up and headed down stream. A crazy site if you've ever witnessed it.

66 degrees and raining. Gotta get out the raincoat so I can get the honeydo's taken care of.

37° and raining, that's ok with me as you don't have to shovel rain! It is raw though.

Just finished a bocce game with my Bride, daughter and grandson #2. Then returned home while they packed and are now headed for Tampa to return to their home. Current temperature here, 78 degrees, sunny skies that disappear and reappear as if on a timer. Weather has turned the corner for us, we hope.

66 degrees and raining. Gotta get out the raincoat so I can get the honeydo's taken care of.

DAMN!! Looks like you sent the rain to the southeast for we are now getting drenched!! A good thing as we do need the rain. Temps right at 68 and rain prognosticators say it should end around nine or ten, maybe eleven, but possibly noon. However, it could continue until two or three and mayhaps end around four, unless of course it continues through to midnight. :D

Almost all of our snow has melted. Now, everything looks like crap. Rain & melting snow make for a horrible looking yard. No worries though, the temp is to drop and more snow is on the way.

Last night, about 3am, I was awaken by a loud roar and rumble of thunder. I don't think I've ever heard thunder in January. A quick storm rolled through causing damage south of us. We just got a free light show. The dog did not appreciate it.

38 degrees and cloudy here. Supposed to get up to 61 today.

Was 38 when I got up, now 33, saying colder for a few days, but rain Sunday, I hate cold rain in the winter. I'd much rather have snow, at least I can snowshoe and snowmobile in it, frozen mud not so much

GOOD MORNING!! Temp started at 50 so a long sleeved shirt and pants were order of the day. The current temperature is 67 with a high of 71, expected. No rain in sight neither is it predicted. Just one more lovely day in our own little piece of Paradise.
Rode my bike over town to get a haircut and the wind is a bit difficult to deal with but I managed. On the way over it was in my face and I thought, "good! It will be at my back for the ride home", which is about two miles.
Drat the luck, the wind shifted and was in my face on the way home!! Kept shifting gears and felt like a trucker on a long hip with ah easy load shifting back and forth. :D Quite a stretch to compare riding a bicycle into the wind with a loaded truck but some of us have overly active imaginations. ;)

Right at 32 which I think the high for today is 36'. little to no wind so not bad.
mid 50' Saturday...I hear the smoker calling. ribs,ribs,ribs

For the 3rd morning in a row --- 26* on the porch. Mother Nature is yanking my chain.
However, the clear skies and bright sunshine have started warming it up. May make 70* today.

37 this morning, 61 now. Clear blue skies all day.

Big day, today. Temp currently at 54 at 7 a.m. with a high expected of 74. Sunny skies. Gotta go help setup for the annual flea market. You know, where people bring things they bought at last years flea market to sell so they have room to buy different stuff this year. Repeat in 2019. ;)

Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe, day with the fish biting.

25° right now heading to 35° today but tomorrow it's forecast to hit 52°!
That description of flea market stuff is funny as hell but so correct.

48 now with a high of 63 today and overcast. Rain tonight and tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom