2017-18 Fall/Winter Weather Thread

Just made my one and only trip outside --- 50 feet to the mailbox and back. Wind is still blowing, but not trying to tear my head off as it was earlier today.
Temp has risen to 32* --- may have to break out the shorts. NOT.

Weather guessers say possibly down to 16* tonight --- if the sky clears.

This is our local forecast. The schools will be closed tomorrow because of harsh winter weather. An Army Major friend from Wisconsin stationed here couldn't believe it until I reminded him that he wouldn't want his kids on icy roads tomorrow with drivers that have rarely if ever driven on them. We are in Florida after all.

TODAY TUE 01/16 HIGH 48 F
10% Precip. / 0.00 in
Cloudy. High 48F. Winds N at 10 to 15 mph.

TONIGHT TUE 01/16 LOW 20 F
50% Precip. / 0
Wintry Mix. Low near 20F. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph.

TOMORROW WED 01/17 HIGH 38 | 20 F
0% Precip. / 0
Sunny. High 38F. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph.

Reactions: Pat
Schools here closing tomorrow with a wind chill of 9. brrrrrrr

Grabbed one of the racing kids that was also out of school, and he helped me pull the transmission from the truck today. Dad's in El Paso all week.

Nothing stuck to the ground here. Just frigid.

FB_IMG_1516167031292.jpg

Cc: @Johali @Blaze88 @ToyYoda

4.5 degrees and still a foot of snow on the ground with more on the way. Low was negative 9.1 last night. Funny, it doesn't feel 13 degrees warmer out there.

Guess I never took the screens out of the windows this past fall.

d0daed9b98ac7f23caaf847969479a55.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It got down to 16 last night and is all the way up to 21 and clear blue skies at 9:30 am local.

Naja was our Siberian and she loved to be out in the snow, Animal control showed up one day saying they had received a complaint that we had left our dog outside in 20° weather for an hour at a time. I agree we had then told him you bring her in.
He saw she was a Siberian and said people need to mind their own business.
She would look out the slider and whine to go out in the snow.

The dog playing in the snow yesterday. He likes when I throw the snow in the air with the shovel. Tastes great!

975170e3ed5638e54e7b4e5e37ddd725.jpg

Digging out the hot tub has become a three day a week job these days with all the snow we've been getting.

7ea5922e15e9a7aa62bbb653e8eff05f.jpg

Reactions: Pat
All you transplanted northerners down there, there are quite a few, suck it up. It's just snow, don't make more of it than it really is.
Problem is the south doesn't have the same ability as the birth does to handle it. Plows, salt, etc. One storm blows the entire budget. Main highways only get half assed and other streets end up turning to pure ice.

And Southerners can't drive in the snow so you have to deal with that if you go out.

Problem is the south doesn't have the same ability as the birth does to handle it. Plows, salt, etc. One storm blows the entire budget. Main highways only get half assed and other streets end up turning to pure ice.

And Southerners can't drive in the snow so you have to deal with that if you go out.
It's called common sense.

It's called common sense.

Common sense for people who grew up in the north. People in the south never seen it and, when the car slides or something, they instinctively react by slamming brakes or jerking their wheel, not realizing it just makes it worse. And on the icy backroads, they don't know to just slow down to 35 mph..

Don't give the people up north too much credit. There are wrecks here every time the road conditions deteriorate. Just part of winter driving.

Michigan has more snow removal equipment in one county than the whole state of Oklahoma. Same thing applies probably for the southern east cost states. Much harder to drive in those areas when the snow flies no matter how good a driver you think you are.

Don't give the people up north too much credit. There are wrecks here every time the road conditions deteriorate. Just part of winter driving.

I was hauling a load up in Pennsylvania one time and they had like 50 cars over on the other side smashing up while I was driving by..freakin scary watching it happen. It can happen anywhere IMO.

Michigan has more snow removal equipment in one county than the whole state of Oklahoma. Same thing applies probably for the southern east cost states. Much harder to drive in those areas when the snow flies no matter how good a driver you think you are.
Well when you drive 55 on a highway with a couple of inches of snow on it you are asking for trouble, doesn't matter if you have AWD either.

Check this link out. Maybe many states have the same data, IDK, but this is pretty cool. In PA you can track all of the State Department of Transportation Plow Trucks. If you zoom in, you can select individual trucks seeing their routes allowing you to know what roads have been serviced. This map only includes the state's trucks and not all trucks. I use this tool all the time when traveling across our state.

http://www.511pa.com/PlowTrucks.aspx

I was hauling a load up in Pennsylvania one time and they had like 50 cars over on the other side smashing up while I was driving by..freakin scary watching it happen. It can happen anywhere IMO.
Yeah, we don't know how to drive here either.

Check this link out. Maybe many states have the same data, IDK, but this is pretty cool. In PA you can track all of the State Department of Transportation Plow Trucks. If you zoom in, you can select individual trucks seeing their routes allowing you to know what roads have been serviced. This map only includes the state's trucks and not all trucks. I use this tool all the time when traveling across our state.

http://www.511pa.com/PlowTrucks.aspx

pretty snazzy right there.

16 degrees, clear skies, really windy and the humidity is so low that there was no frost this morning. Brrrrrrr.

^ What DPK said. Don't give Northerners credit for being better drivers. While the North holds the advantage in snow removal equipment we don't have any shortages when it comes to idjits driving in the snow.
The explosion in popularity of 4wd and now AWD gives many idjits a false sense of security.
My son has a 4WD RAV4 company vehicle and says it's as useless as tits on a bull in snow. ..

^ What DPK said. Don't give Northerners credit for being better drivers. While the North holds the advantage in snow removal equipment we don't have any shortages when it comes to idjits driving in the snow.
The explosion in popularity of 4wd and now AWD gives many idjits a false sense of security.
My son has a 4WD RAV4 company vehicle and says it's as useless as tits on a bull in snow. ..
Now, that's useless. :D

The low this morning was at midnight --- 30*. A warm 32* when I got up about an hour ago.
Guess the heavy cloud cover moved in before the temp could drop to the predicted mid 20s.

A lot of my snow stayed over night. It got down to 19 here in the morning but should warm up to 48. I think this snow will be a memory by the end of the day. Temps going up to 66 by Sunday.

Just got my nat gas bill.Dec 7th to Jan 5r=th. Lots of single digits days, below 0 night.
Normal bill for hot water, 5 showers, 1 bath everyday and a dishwasher runs around $32-35 bucks a month.
Wood pellet stove keeps us toasty 68-70 but the furnace kicks in when it hit 20-25 degrees outside
Went through $126 worth of pellets and a have whopping $78 nat gas bil, $43 more than normal. .
brb gonna run downstairs and hug that stove!

My whole house is electric --- bill for Dec. 15 thru Jan. 16 was $227. Not bad for the 60+ hours of low 20s around New Years.
I've been here 3 years and this is only the 2nd $200 light bill I've had.
Don't really care --- I just won't be cold in the house.

We have gas heat and stove and the rest is power. Gas bill in the summer averages $30, in the winter $80. Power in the summer averages $180-200 and the winter around $75. Of course being in North Florida it varies greatly.

Back
Top Bottom