2017-18 Fall/Winter Weather Thread

Our last 24hrs. Another windshield scraping kinda morning. Hit 52.6 yesterday. Supposed to be around the same today.

If any of you are into weather like me you should check out https://www.acurite.com/. I bought a weather station from there about two years ago. They have lots of sales around the holidays.
I don't have the full-on weather station, but I do use Acu-rite for my temps, etc.
The temp never changed yesterday, or last night --- stayed 48* all night. Still 48* on the porch with heavy cloud cover.

Been cold and rainy here the past few days.

Finally. :)

We need the rain something awful and it's about time it's not 90+ degrees and humid. Summers around here are the worst, mainly because it's so humid and summer seems to run for 10-11 months.

27 this morning, 49 right now. 37 degrees is forecast for tomorrow's high and a low of 20 overnight.

51, windy and sunny here. Looks to be a great day for the air show.

Brrr!
1f90c707c39b8d882a69b183558e2d5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Prices don't really change here for pellets, summer or fall. I've tried three brands that are sold locally. You get what you pay for is what I've found. I can get pellets for a cheaper price than I paid for these but they also don't produce the same BTU. I can run these on my stoves lowest setting obtaining a tremendous amount of heat while making a bag go a lot further.

Originally I burned corn in the stove. Many people don't even know that is possible. It was cheaper than pellets and produced more heat. Then corn went up in price, big time. It became cost prohibitive.
Corn prices went through the roof a few years ago when they thought it was a great idea to replace oil....... that was a farce...... oil prices went down..... now corn is cheaper than hell again....... you might want to check into it..... you can probably buy corn now cheaper than the pellets.....

Corn prices went through the roof a few years ago when they thought it was a great idea to replace oil....... that was a farce...... oil prices went down..... now corn is cheaper than hell again....... you might want to check into it..... you can probably buy corn now cheaper than the pellets.....
I will check into that. Thanks for the info as I don't follow the price of corn.

I first saw a corn fueled stove back in the early 80's at a local tire shop. He bought the corn pellets at a feed store.
In 2003 public utilities gave the NG co a 23% rate increase. Got a Quadrafire stove in 2004. Back then a ton of pellets was $150.00 or so. Then everyone jumped on the pellet stove bandwagon. One year there was a shortage and a ton was over $300 IIRC, that's if you could find them and many places would only sell to these who had bought their stove from them. Rates have stabilized at $250-275. I buy 3 tons in the summer and that gets us through nice and toasty all winter. NG furnace fires up only when the temps drop below 20°
Stove paid for it self in NG savings in 3 years.

My weather over the past month. This is the high/low temp chart. A huge variation in temps over the past month. We've seen snow a new times. I think the first measurable is predicted for this Sunday.

Untitled.jpg

The forecast keeps getting warmer for Thanksgiving as each day goes on. It's currently suppose to be 67, which is perfect.

Back
Top Bottom