2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

It's one thing to see the ratings, but the constant mockery and comparisons to other things is B.S. Live sporting events period are on the decline. The networks are losing over 200 million dollars on a sport we can't mention here for example. Start a thread and discuss that would definitely give TRL more to do. Folks seem to have blinders on and miss the whole picture.

I'm not inclined to equate my financial situation to my entertainment choices.

It will become a concern to me if it goes off the air ... assuming I'm still here if / when that happens. DVR set for Melonville.

The point is some people like to know where something stands while others don't give a toss. It is a personal preference but when it comes to Nascar and its TV ratings the people that claim they don't care about them are always the ones chirping about them. I don't care about paint schemes, drivers WAGS or lifestyle, pregnancies, fantasy games, the race thread, Xfinity, trucks, freakin tire codes and a bunch more shyte like that but I know people do. Seeing I have no interest in those subjects I treat them in a novel way..........I don't participate on the threads where that is the predominant theme. Maybe I am doing it all wrong.

My opinion is that most people are too addicted to their smartphones and coupled with the fact the average attention span has decreased, NASCAR may be the first casualty of "nobody cares anymore" syndrome, but I believe the other major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) will follow this downward trend. EVERYONE PLAY CANDY CRUSH! YAY!!!

^^ Are you suggesting that I shouldn't be participating in this thread and should stick to "freakin' tire codes and shyte like that"? Nervy.

This is a racing forum first and foremost ... perhaps people with no interest in the cars, the race threads, the tires and anything else that actually has something to do with automobile racing should restrict themselves or be restricted to the Chit Chat forum.

No one likes the hear the bitter TRUTH. I love this sport after my friend introduced me to it in 2009, but the truth HURTS.

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32

Preach it brother! I don't expect others to be interested in the same things I am or even understand why I am interested in them. I like to know what is going on in different aspects of life so I try and find out the truth about them so I can make informed decisions or it might just be for general knowledge but it should not matter to another person. I like looking at the TV ratings, demographics and other things relating to those that follow the series. My opinion is that those things don't look good and the people that claim to have no interest are the ones that come on this thread so they can participate in something they don't care about. I could not make this stuff up.

Preach it brother! I don't expect others to be interested in the same things I am or even understand why I am interested in them. I like to know what is going on in different aspects of life so I try and find out the truth about them so I can make informed decisions or it might just be for general knowledge but it should not matter to another person. I like looking at the TV ratings, demographics and other things relating to those that follow the series. My opinion is that those things don't look good and the people that claim to have no interest are the ones that come on this thread so they can participate in something they don't care about. I could not make this stuff up.
Skoal, you seem like my long lost brother. I love this sport (even though I was only introduced to it at the 2010 Daytona 500 (Jaime McMurray won the "pothole race")) but I want it to thrive and gain fans. It seems that the leadership (Brian and Lesa) are doing everything to sabotage that.

My opinion is that most people are too addicted to their smartphones and coupled with the fact the average attention span has decreased, NASCAR may be the first casualty of "nobody cares anymore" syndrome, but I believe the other major sports (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL) will follow this downward trend. EVERYONE PLAY CANDY CRUSH! YAY!!!

As the population ages I think what you say will become even more evident and in the case of Nascar it has the oldest audience (I believe @StandOnIt said it was 58) so it only stands to reason it would be the first to experience problems followed by others.

As the population ages I think what you say will become even more evident and in the case of Nascar it has the oldest audience (I believe @StandOnIt said it was 58) so it only stands to reason it would be the first to experience problems followed by others..
it isn't the oldest audience. Don't quote me dude, find your own info please.

Where this becomes disingenuous is when a person attempts to place a sport like the NFL on the same plane as Nascar as it is like trying to discuss the similarities between Billy Graham and Lindsay Lohan.
Agree.

Presumably this means you’ll stop doing that.

it isn't the oldest audience. Don't quote me dude, find your own info please.

My apologies as you never said that Nascar had the oldest audience and I said that in error. What I remember you saying was the average age of a Nascar fan was 58 and if I am wrong about that I apologize too.

I’ve never said I have no interest in NASCAR’s TV ratings.

I follow them as do most people here. The fact of the matter is that they do not affect my personal choices.

And...I don’t feel compelled to post that in a variety of ways 15 times a day.

My apologies as you never said that Nascar had the oldest audience and I said that in error. What I remember you saying was the average age of a Nascar fan was 58 and if I am wrong about that I apologize too.
taken out of context as usual. Like I said find you own info dude.

I’ve never said I have no interest in NASCAR’s TV ratings.

I follow them as do most people here. The fact of the matter is that they do not affect my personal choices.

And...I don’t feel compelled to post that in a variety of ways 15 times a day.

The bottom line is that we all have different personalities, different interests and different methods of expressing ourselves. What one person deems unnecessary or out of order may be deemed fine by another but the bottom line is there are moderators to monitor content and its appropriateness.

It's one thing to see the ratings, but the constant mockery and comparisons to other things is B.S. Live sporting events period are on the decline. The networks are losing over 200 million dollars on a sport we can't mention here for example. Start a thread and discuss that would definitely give TRL more to do. Folks seem to have blinders on and miss the whole picture.
Some of them are up. Even the ones that are down, don't appear to be declining at the rate that NASCAR is.

It's not really meant to be funny.

NASCAR is going on a downward trend. Ratings are down across the board. The Truck series is in serious doubts if it will continue or not and the Xfinity is not in that much of a good a place either.

the truck series has better viewing numbers that both F-1 and Indycar. :idunno:

I'm glad F-! and Indycar are growing, but get your facts straight. Indycar is/was almost down to nothing and had nowhere to go but up or disappear. Haven't kept up but they were trying to negotiate TV last time I heard.

I'm glad F-! and Indycar are growing, but get your facts straight. Indycar is/was almost down to nothing and had nowhere to go but up or disappear. Haven't kept up but they were trying to negotiate TV last time I heard.

Dude, relax.

Nobody is saying F1 or Indycar are outperforming NASCAR in the United States...yet.

It's a process and as time goes by and if the trend continues as is, you bet they will be on par. F1 and Indycar are on the uptick while NASCAR is on the other side of the spectrum.

They are gaining.

It's not really meant to be funny.

NASCAR is going on a downward trend. Ratings are down across the board. The Truck series is in serious doubts if it will continue or not and the Xfinity is not in that much of a good a place either.

I agree and understood your comment was not meant to be humorous. It is funny as Nascar's stats are the same regardless of who is looking at them but what some see as troubling others see as representing no problem at all.

the truck series has better viewing numbers that both F-1 and Indycar. :idunno:

Last Saturday's NASCAR Truck Series race from Talladega earned a 0.7 rating and 1.1 million viewers on FOX, down 15% in ratings and 17% in viewership from last year (0.85, 1.3M) and down 22% and 19% respectively from 2015 (0.9, 1.4M). [Sports Media Watch](10-22-2017)

Vs the the final Indycar race
Coverage of the 2017 IndyCar season averaged a 0.32 rating and 502,000 viewers on NBCSN, flat in ratings and up 3% in viewership from last year (0.32, 488K) but down 6% and 1% respectively from 2015 (0.34, 507K). It was the second-most watched IndyCar season ever on NBCSN (dates back to 2009), behind only 2015.

F1 from COTA
An average of 1.05 million viewers tuned in to NBC to watch the F1 U.S. Grand Prix from Circuit of The Americas, giving the broadcast a 0.65 rating. That's up from last year's race, which drew a 0.49 rating and averaged 727,000 viewers.

That is not aimed at me correct?
not at all, but showing percentage of growth and declines are a mess, it's like one viewer and now two is a 50% increase. personally with figures that low, percentage errors for all of them are a joke. +/-

Dude, relax.

Nobody is saying F1 or Indycar are outperforming NASCAR in the United States...yet.

It's a process and as time goes by and if the trend continues as is, you bet they will be on par. F1 and Indycar are on the uptick while NASCAR is on the other side of the spectrum.

They are gaining.

Last Saturday's NASCAR Truck Series race from Talladega earned a 0.7 rating and 1.1 million viewers on FOX, down 15% in ratings and 17% in viewership from last year (0.85, 1.3M) and down 22% and 19% respectively from 2015 (0.9, 1.4M). [Sports Media Watch](10-22-2017)

Vs the the final Indycar race
Coverage of the 2017 IndyCar season averaged a 0.32 rating and 502,000 viewers on NBCSN, flat in ratings and up 3% in viewership from last year (0.32, 488K) but down 6% and 1% respectively from 2015 (0.34, 507K). It was the second-most watched IndyCar season ever on NBCSN (dates back to 2009), behind only 2015.

F1 from COTA
An average of 1.05 million viewers tuned in to NBC to watch the F1 U.S. Grand Prix from Circuit of The Americas, giving the broadcast a 0.65 rating. That's up from last year's race, which drew a 0.49 rating and averaged 727,000 viewers.

Good points and I think some people forget that Nascar recently had a race that drew less than 2 million fans and there have been others that have dangerously flirted with the sub 2 million mark. It wasn't long ago that a Nascar race drawing less than 4 million viewers would have been unheard of. These are just the numbers and a person can accept them or become angry about them or anything else but it doesn't change them.

I agree and understood your comment was not meant to be humorous. It is funny as Nascar's stats are the same regardless of who is looking at them but what some see as troubling others see as representing no problem at all.

This emoticon comes to mind.

:sne:

not at all, but showing percentage of growth and declines are a mess, it's like one viewer and now two is a 50% increase. personally with figures that low, percentage errors for all of them are a joke. +/-

I was just trying to show the ratings , not the growth part too, I was being lazy and just pasted what I copied without any editing of the text

I was just trying to show the ratings , not the growth part too, I was being lazy and just pasted what I copied without any editing of the text
ratings and numbers said what I was saying all along unless you want to swallow the B.S. FL is saying
here swallow this FL. It's a one race series and it wasn't good this year
Indy 500’s national TV numbers worst in 31 years of live coverage

Jeff Gluck‏Verified account @jeff_gluck
If you ever wondered about streaming numbers for NASCAR races, see below via NBC PR. Meanwhile 2.76 million people watched on TV (NBCSN).
DM73ug_UMAA5v4S.jpg

Last edited:
ratings and numbers said what I was saying all along unless you want to swallow the B.S. FL is saying
here swallow this FL. It's a one race series and it wasn't good this year
Indy 500’s national TV numbers worst in 31 years of live coverage

The ABC telecast of the 101st Indianapolis 500 earned a 3.4 final national rating, averaging 5.5 million viewers. That is down from a 3.9/6.0m final in 2016.

The Coca-Cola 600 finished with a 2.8 rating and averaged 4.6 million viewers, down from a 3.4/5.7m last year. It is the third straight year the Indy 500 has bettered the Coca-Cola 600 in ratings, but this was the widest margin between the two in 18 years.

ABC's telecast of the 101st Indianapolis 500 averaged a 3.6 overnight household rating in metered markets, down from a 4.1 in 2016 and the lowest for the race since live telecasts began in 1986. Some of that year-on-year decline was due to the fact that last year's race was shown live in the Indianapolis market, where it scored a massive 33.6 rating, but a return to tape delay for the local market this year saw that rating drop to 14.7.

http://www.racer.com/north-american-racing/item/141030-tv-ratings-indy-500-coca-cola-600-monaco-gp

A good read and breakdown of the numbers of the 3 biggest races of the year.

You forgot one Daytona 500
The broadcast of Kurt Busch’s victory had a rating of 6.6. with an average viewership 11.922 million, Fox announced Monday evening.
Viewership peaked (14.031 million viewers) between 6:15-6:30 p.m. ET as Busch held on for the his first victory in 16 attempts.
That article was just talking about that one Sunday in May.

Back
Top Bottom