2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

forgot to post this about the Coca-Cola 600

The finish of NASCAR's longest race was pushed into the early morning hours by a rain delay, which helps explain the year-on-year decline of some 13% – almost identical to that of the Indy 500

Paradigm shift underway.

Those things can be uncomfortable.
that is counting the paid streaming. I usually get streams from over seas when FS 2 is doing something. At another board they usually have a post the free streams available. I don't think they are counting those or the over seas viewers that use them. it probably isn't a whole lot

^ Neither do they count Canadian TV viewers. Usually 3 - 400,000.

Percentage growth.
Well, that's why they present in percentage rather than volume. It's going to be a while before it represents more than an infinitesimal portion of the total audience.

The Netflix COO even just revealed that only 10.5% of SVOD streaming is viewed through smartphones, tablets, and other non-TV devices. That's 89.5% of Netflix viewing being streamed through TV. That is huge for something that is often regarded as being the most mobile entertainment around.

“In our neck of the woods,” Hasker commented, “these stats are a big deal and they’ve never been made public. It’s a killer fact that 89.5% of time spent viewing streaming services is on the TV glass and not on PC, tablets or smartphones. It’s an interesting reflection on how streaming is done – as a part of and not a replacement to the traditional TV experience.”
“Five years ago we had great demand from TV and digital clients for mobile measurement,” Hasker acknowledged. “Now, we have same refrain from our digital clients but for our TV network and studio clients, the action is on the TV glass. Our data is a reminder that consumers prefer the best available screen and for SVOD viewing, that’s the TV.”
https://www.mediavillage.com/articl...elsen-only-20-of-viewing-is-original-content/

Considering that it is pointless to stream the NBC Sports Live Extra app through your TV when it's already available there OTA or in your cable package these numbers are ever really going to be that big.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...-canada-off-to-promising-start-170108030.html

I was curious to see how many Canadians viewed Nascar races and did a quick look and see 163K tuned in to see the Hollywood 400 from Kansas a year ago. I figured it would be about 5-10% of the US audience and it will be interesting for me to look at over the next little while. This is only 1 race and not meant to represent the Canadian audience for each Cup race.

17. Auto racing, NASCAR Hollywood 400, Sunday, TSN: 163,000 (NBC audience not measured)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...-canada-off-to-promising-start-170108030.html

I was curious to see how many Canadians viewed Nascar races and did a quick look and see 163K tuned in to see the Hollywood 400 from Kansas a year ago. I figured it would be about 5-10% of the US audience and it will be interesting for me to look at over the next little while. This is only 1 race and not meant to represent the Canadian audience for each Cup race.

17. Auto racing, NASCAR Hollywood 400, Sunday, TSN: 163,000 (NBC audience not measured)
309,000 for the STP 500 at Martinsville in March of 2015

The Geezer Report: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/e...ounger-viewers-in-short-supply-193007391.html

Well, that's why they present in percentage rather than volume. It's going to be a while before it represents more than an infinitesimal portion of the total audience.

The Netflix COO even just revealed that only 10.5% of SVOD streaming is viewed through smartphones, tablets, and other non-TV devices. That's 89.5% of Netflix viewing being streamed through TV. That is huge for something that is often regarded as being the most mobile entertainment around.

https://www.mediavillage.com/articl...elsen-only-20-of-viewing-is-original-content/

Considering that it is pointless to stream the NBC Sports Live Extra app through your TV when it's already available there OTA or in your cable package these numbers are ever really going to be that big.

This info is very interesting and not what I was expecting.

even 2 years ago the trend was older viewers.

The race had 4 million US viewers so Canadian viewership fits in my 5-10% estimate. At this rate the Daytona 500 may get more viewers in Canada than some Curling Tournaments.

Say wut?

I'm too lazy to go back and read all of the posts since the overnights for Kansas were posted so if this is a re-post of the final numbers, I apologize.

Kansas final TV ratings

NBC Sports Group's presentation of this past Sunday's Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs race from Kansas Speedway averaged a Total Audience Delivery (TAD) of 2.77 million viewers across NBCSN and NBC Sports Digital platforms, according to data released by The Nielsen Company, and digital data from Adobe Analytics.

The NBCSN-only telecast averaged 2.76 million viewers, up 31% vs. NBCSN's prior three NASCAR Cup Series Playoffs races this season, and up 4% vs. NBCSN's 2016 Fall Cup Series race average.

Viewership of Sunday's race peaked in the 6:30-6:45 p.m. ET quarter hour, as nearly 3.6 million viewers watched Martin Truex Jr. and the #78 Furniture Row Racing Toyota secure the team's seventh NASCAR Cup Series win of the season.

In addition, Sunday's NASCAR Cup Series telecast on NBCSN was the most-watched sporting event of the day on cable, driving NBCSN to rank as the #1 network on cable in the race's 3:30 -6:45 p.m. ET time period.

Through 16 races this season, NBC Sports Group's 2017 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series live race coverage is averaging nearly 3.4 million viewers, even with the first 16 races last season (3.388 million vs. 3.379 million).

http://www.espn.com/jayski/cup/2017/story/_/id/21127978/kansas-tv-ratings

Just think how great it would be if they actually showed the race and commercials only.

I won' take the time to go through each race but I think someone at ESPN is using the new "paradigm shift mathematical formula" or something like it in saying the 16 NBC races shown this year are even with last year. Maybe it has something to do with rain dates?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jayski has last year's race at a 1.6 and 2.7 million viewers but regardless anytime Nascar can remain flat or post a modest increase YOY it is a big win.
Probably was the final. NASCAR finals tend to increase from overnights since NASCAR is stronger in a lot of smaller, non-metered markets.

Great news about the Talladega chase race racking up 1.1 million more viewers this year over last and more good news about Martinsville being essentially flat. I was curious to see how the 6 measurable chase races did this year over last as I tossed out Charlotte as it was delayed last year. I was surprised as even with the good news of Talladega and Martinsville the damage of Chicago, NH, Dover and Kansas could not be undone as those races lost a collective 2.2 million viewers. Overall the 6 measurable chase races this year have lost a total of 1.1 million viewers over last year.

^ Hmmm. Seems to support the notion that a lot of people "follow" Nascar but don't make a habit of actually viewing the telecast. And some of them tune in only when they learn of news that they want to check out. But these followers probably don't count, I'm sure. They're not the same as us, so the heck with 'em all... LOL.

^ Hmmm. Seems to support the notion that a lot of people "follow" Nascar but don't make a habit of actually viewing the telecast. And some of them tune in only when they learn of news that they want to check out. But these followers probably don't count, I'm sure. They're not the same as us, so the heck with 'em all... LOL.

You never know as I will check apps periodically for scores in games while I know others do for fantasy leagues and other games. IDK about racing but there are a lot of people that play fantasy football that don't watch many games each year but they are slaves to stats and spend a lot of time pouring over them. When I visit the NHL or NFL app for 15 seconds what does that mean and how can it be quantified?

Thanks for the links as I always enjoy looking over all the info not just Nascar. I would really like to see the age breakdowns over 50 but I know that advertisers consider people in my baby boomer generation dead anyway so they probably don't care how much over 50 you are just that you are over 50.

NASCAR Ratings Up on Cable For First Time All Season

For the first time all season, NASCAR ratings increased on cable.

The NASCAR Cup Series playoffs from Martinsville (Va.) earned a 1.7 rating and 2.8 million viewers on NBCSN, up a tick in ratings and 4% in viewership from last year (1.6, 2.7M) but down 15% and 17% respectively from 2015 (2.0, 3.4M).

It was the first NASCAR race on cable all season to post an increase in ratings or viewership (18 telecasts) and snapped a streak of seven straight double-digit declines on NBCSN.

Regardless of network, Kyle Busch‘s win was just the fourth Cup Series race to increase in ratings and the sixth to do so in viewership.

Two of the past three races have posted an increase, with Talladega two weeks ago up 32%. That race moved up the dial from NBCSN to NBC. Overall, the past three races have averaged 3.5 million viewers across NBC and NBCSN, up 9% from the same three races last year.

Adding in streaming viewership had no notable impact on the numbers, which remained at 2.8 million.

Despite the increase, Sunday’s race topped only last year as the lowest rated edition of the race since at least 1999 and the least-watched since at least 2001.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2017/11/nascar-ratings-cable-martinsville/

It is interesting that streaming had no notable impact on the numbers as some would have you believe that streamers are a large but clandestine organization that is not counted when viewing Nascar.

I guess the amount stunned Pockrass and it trickled down. They spend huge amounts for stick n ball, over 3 billion a year for every network. Nascar's deal 820 million a year is a drop in the bucket compared to that. This year it is said because of declining ratings, the NFL is having to give away free advertising spots to the networks to make up the losses.

Television executives wanted a piece of the pie to drive higher subscription fees and advertising rates for live sports programming.

The last I saw both NBCS and FS1 each received less than a buck a piece per month from cable/sat providers but that may have changed by now.

For the purpose of context and comparison the second Texas date in 2015 received a 2.7 rating and 4.5 million viewers so it dwarfs yesterday's 1.6 and I am guessing 2.7 million viewers. It is hard to believe that almost 2 million people that watched the race 2 years ago elected to do something else yesterday.

It looks like about 20% of Nascar's audience for the just concluded cup race was in the 18-49 age group and to provide context just under 50% of the SNF viewers were in that age range. The Texas race was well represented by the over 50 age group as they came in at 66% of the viewing audience. Make of this what you will.

Back
Top Bottom