2017 NASCAR Season - Television Ratings Thread

Nascar fans had to hunt to find that program. Horse racing was on NBCSN

In this day and age IDK why anyone would have to hunt for any television/streaming program as Siri or Alexa will find it for you in nano seconds or Google will find it in a couple more nano seconds than the first option. There are probably even faster ways that I am unaware of.

Nascar fans had to hunt to find that program. Horse racing was on NBCSN

I think you hit the nail on the head. There is a strong core group of NASCAR fans that are interested in a pre-race show, and the network carrying the race essentially didn't provide one, so they headed over to FS1 to find it.That core group will find NASCAR on whatever network it is placed on.

I think you hit the nail on the head. There is a strong core group of NASCAR fans that are interested in a pre-race show, and the network carrying the race essentially didn't provide one, so they headed over to FS1 to find it.That core group will find NASCAR on whatever network it is placed on.
another thing, Nascar is a niche sport. Always has and always will be. The herd watches stick n ball.

another thing, Nascar is a niche sport. Always has and always will be. The herd watches stick n ball.

Things have changed as it wasn't that long ago that Brian France said the series was national and second only to Footy. Hopefully the series can retain niche status and avoid becoming irrelevant.

Ya gotta love Señor Stern as he forgot to mention that 2 of the first 8 chase races last year were weather delayed and even with that being the case ratings are only even with last year.

I was reading an old book the other day that featured a sentence that foreshadowed people like Stern. "For the time will come when men will not tolerate sound doctrine, but with itching ears they will gather around themselves teachers to suit their own desires.…"

This just in.........2017 NBCSN viewership up 74.28% over 2016 chase races when Rick Allen screams "3 Wide" more than 3 times, the ambient temperature is over 68.58 and Danica Patrick finishes on the lead lap......:D

Hopefully the finale will do well next week and I will be deploying my Nascar app multiple times so I am fixin to do my part.

Not a bad week for Nascar as viewership was only off 10% or 400K viewers from last year and 28% or 1.4 million viewers from 2014 when the race was held on ESPN. IDK if it was the real Adam Stern but I just got off the phone with someone using that name and he said the viewership for yesterday's race posted a significant increase over 2015. I asked him if 2015 was rain delayed and he said his battery was going dead and hung up.

Thats pretty impressive IMHO, good stuff.

Not bad at all as 21% of the audience was made up of viewers in the 18-49 demo plus I am confident the normal 65-70% of the over 50 brigade was represented so lots of mature adults taking things in.

What Mr/Ms Flood says makes sense as in general when less people watch something it leads to more people paying attention......I looked it up in my Funk and Wagnalls for confirmation......:)

I am very surprised as in round numbers the race had 6 million viewers last year and I believe that the overnight for this year would equal around 4.5 million viewers which is a jaw dropping decrease. For the purposes of context there was only 1 race in 2007 that had a lower rating and less viewers than this year and there were 7 in 2012.

I thought that Nascar would resemble IndyCar in about 10 years but at this rate I may have to look at a revision as Nascar is getting gashed left and right.

This is genuinely shocking.

It isn't good or encouraging on any level, that's for sure. We pointed out last year that the finale was going to look like it pulled in better numbers because it was delayed into the Sunday Night Football pregame timeslot. People were tuning into football and waited for the race to finish. That didn't happen this year. There was no Jimmie going for 7 storyline, and Dale Jr.'s real farewell race was Talladega, where fans had hope of watching him do better than 25th.

Some existing fans may like it, but the playoffs format is an utter disaster if the goal was to create wider interest in the late season. It's not happening.

It isn't good or encouraging on any level, that's for sure. We pointed out last year that the finale was going to look like it pulled in better numbers because it was delayed into the Sunday Night Football pregame timeslot. People were tuning into football and waited for the race to finish. That didn't happen this year. There was no Jimmie going for 7 storyline, and Dale Jr.'s real farewell race was Talladega, where fans had hope of watching him do better than 25th.

Some existing fans may like it, but the playoffs format is an utter disaster if the goal was to create wider interest in the late season. It's not happening.
Did last year's race really run into FNIA? A recap I'm reading says it peaked in the 6:45-7 PM quarter-hour, before FNIA is scheduled to air. I know 2015 is the one that ran about an hour late. Regardless, running a few minutes into FNIA last year would not have generated anything close to a 0.6 difference for a full race broadcast. Maybe Jimmie going for 7 truly was a huge deal. This is astounding to me.

Did last year's race really run into FNIA? A recap I'm reading says it peaked in the 6:45-7 PM quarter-hour, before FNIA is scheduled to air. I know 2015 is the one that ran about an hour late. Regardless, running a few minutes into FNIA last year would not have generated anything close to a 0.6 difference for a full race broadcast. Maybe Jimmie going for 7 truly was a huge deal. This is astounding to me.

It was 2015 when the race ran over into FNiA and ended up with a 4.4 and 7.7 million viewers.

I wonder how Mr/Ms Flood feels about the the playoff races sitting behind a desk looking over the numbers instead of seeing how much hyperbole he/she could inject into a soundbite?

According to what I have read this year's chase races featured about 29.5 million viewers and last year the total was 31 million. The problem with that is that 2 of the races last year were rain delayed so in actuality this year's races were really off by about 4.5 million viewers or about 13%. The ratings were 100% in my house for some of them so I did my part and I know you did too......:D

iyIewfr.png

Nascar may want to move the day the finale is run to a weeknight as I doubt it would impact attendance at all but it may do wonders for TV ratings. Maybe a Friday would be a good day or maybe at this point it is spitting in the wind.

Competing with the elephant in the room. Nice.

Social interactions were way over 100% in my home as I visited the app so many times I had to keep my phone plugged in......:D

Been saying this ever since the Chase started, when is Nascar going to start listening to it's fans?

Looks like I'm not the only one who didn't watch the disgusting finale.
Been saying this ever since the Chase started, when is Nascar going to start listening to it's fans?

We should find out later today what the final numbers are for the race but it looks like somewhere between 1 and 1.5 million less people tuned in. I definitely think the way Nascar crowns a champ has turned off most of the traditional fans and has not attracted much in the way of newbies but there is a lot more to it.

IMO one of the biggest problems Nascar has is that it has lost a generation of fans because they were never exposed to the series by seeing the race on in the house or hearing Mom and Dad talk about it. If by chance they did hear Mom and Dad speaking of Nascar it probably wasn't very flattering. Nascar used to have no presence in my area and that was followed by a big presence and now we are back to no presence. Nascar has perfected how to kill the goose that laid the golden egg and have been utter failures in most initiatives in the last 15 years.

Haven't ya heard, Brian said, “We feel pretty bullish about the future of the sport for the talent they have,” he said. “They’re embracing this format where every lap matters. It truly matters. I think there was a learning process at the start of the year, and I think they’ll hit Daytona (in February), all of them, with that learned behavior pretty quick.”

He forgot to relay this information:
Speedway Motorsports Inc., which operates Charlotte Motor Speedway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway and other tracks, said revenues were down 7.5% and admissions down 4.3% from 2016 to 2017. International Speedway Corp., owner of tracks at Daytona Beach, Homestead and other locations, said in its third-quarter report that television viewership of races is down 10%

NASCAR is doing fine.:rolleyes:

So it was off about 22% overall and about 30% in 18-49. Wow. @FLRacingFan thanks for the clarification on race end times the past few years. No matter what, the later this race ends, the higher the 'peak' audience is going to be, and that affects the average. FNIA averaged 8.6 million, The SNF pregame averaged 14 million, and SNF hit 21 million. I've joked that they should red flag the race with 10 laps to go and run a final segment during SNF halftime. That would be a ratings bonanza. :rolleyes:

I think that was a factor, but really it was the lack of a compelling storyline to casual fans (MTJ isn't a name that registers yet and Harvick may be the only driver of the final four who isn't more disliked than liked - maybe) plus general declining interest that has been evident all year and especially through most of the playoffs. I believe Talladega and Martinsville were the two playoffs races that were up YOY. What an odd pair that is. So many of the playoffs races were down 30% or more in the demo. I don't know how much clearer it could possibly get that the playoffs scheme isn't producing benefits, at least at this time of year. Find a way to not compete with the NFL and college football for 11 weeks and who knows

He forgot to relay this information:
Speedway Motorsports Inc., which operates Charlotte Motor Speedway, Las Vegas Motor Speedway and other tracks, said revenues were down 7.5% and admissions down 4.3% from 2016 to 2017. International Speedway Corp., owner of tracks at Daytona Beach, Homestead and other locations, said in its third-quarter report that television viewership of races is down 10%

NASCAR is doing fine.:rolleyes:
If you check their third quarter SEC filing, you'll find that SMI is doing just fine.

I have no idea how NASCAR is doing financially. Do you?

Back
Top Bottom