2018 Charlotte -- Bank Of America Roval 400 - Pre-Race Thread

I think 'F1 flavor' is part of the 'Monster lifestyle'. :D

The article sounds like 'flavor' is how the track and walls are painted, maybe infield signs, and other aspects of physical appearance. I wouldn't know 'F1 flavor' track paint from an Earl Scheib $19.95 special. Just as long as the 'flavor' is the only thing similar to F1, and not the racing itself. :rolleyes: As far as the racing goes, the only 'flavor' I've seen in F1 is ... vanilla.

A bajillion Rolex and DHL signs, and a ton of painted asphalt. That screams F1 flavor to me lol

I think this helps to show that the track is deceptively wide. There's probably more room through a lot of that place than we have at Sonoma and The Glen. Good show of the elevation change as well.

And yeah, it looks hella COTA/F1 from an aesthetics standpoint.

Some random thoughts from an Average Joe.

1) The final bus stop is eerily similar to Canadian Motorsports Park.

2) With restarts happening off of turn 4, turn 1 will be absolute chaos.

3) In the event of rain, the actual oval part of the track will come down to who has the testicular fortitude to keep the throttle down.

4) During qualifying, I am not really sure how the blend line will work.

5) I hope the actual on track action turns out well, but I fear we will see more tracks attempt this, therefore making this just another race. I can handle 1/36th of the season like this, but no more.

6) Good event or not, it is worth a ticket purchase. Being able to see an entire 17 turn road course from the grandstands is incredible.

We all are apprehensive about how it will play out on the first lap. I think there is a 50/50 chance it will be clean. I would not be surprised if they revert to single file restarts after that. Just a thought. It will dang sure be interesting to say the least.

I think they'll give each other a lot more room than people think. I don't think it will be chaos.

I just don't want to see a situation where playoff drivers are basically eliminated because they got caught up in some mess that didn't even involve them. Like Erik at Vegas...or heck even Chase even though he somewhat rebounded last week.

We already have a race like that coming up in a couple of weeks.

Andretti after driving the course suggested the chicane on the back stretch to slow the cars down. Goodyear in a later tire test agreed that having a chicane would allow the use of a softer tire that will help the infield racing. The track is 90% the same track that was used to run the Camel Gt sports car series which became IMSA later on. Going to be some drivers who aren't going to like the track, some don't like it now and that is a good thing IMO. Unhappy drivers usually means happy fans.

The fickle way cautions happen on a road course the possibility of catching some of the front runners a lap down can be a factor also

I'm just hoping that the rain stays away (or comes all weekend long). I want to see who can jump in a car, and go the fastest. Have to think that the 18, 78, 4 will assert themselves. This is a great test until race day when anything can happen. I love this.

Will listen for TBS "thunder fist music" just in case this is a cruel joke

Just think this time next year after this splendid idea of racing on a roval, we’ll have Restrictor Plate Roval Racing! Asses in the seats for sure
They arent going to put a plate on a Road Course car

Nope on Track Bite. Credit or Blame the driver's council for that.

“Charlotte Motor Speedway officials wanted to put down PJ1 in both 3 and 4 and 5 and 6,” Snider said. “We saw so many teams in testing have trouble right here. We saw Ryan Blaney, Kyle Busch, Martin Truex Jr. all spin out in this part of the racetrack. So they went and asked NASCAR.
“NASCAR then turned to the driver’s council. The driver’s council actually said no to that. So what you’ll notice here on the exit of 6 is they ran the tire dragon through 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 as well. … They ran it the entire width of the racetrack.”

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/09/26/nascar-america-marty-snider-breaks-down-the-charlotte-roval/

Reactions: Pat
Nope on Track Bite. Credit or Blame the driver's council for that.

“Charlotte Motor Speedway officials wanted to put down PJ1 in both 3 and 4 and 5 and 6,” Snider said. “We saw so many teams in testing have trouble right here. We saw Ryan Blaney, Kyle Busch, Martin Truex Jr. all spin out in this part of the racetrack. So they went and asked NASCAR.
“NASCAR then turned to the driver’s council. The driver’s council actually said no to that. So what you’ll notice here on the exit of 6 is they ran the tire dragon through 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 as well. … They ran it the entire width of the racetrack.”

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2018/09/26/nascar-america-marty-snider-breaks-down-the-charlotte-roval/
There's always that brake pedal thingie.

Confusion reigns. Kyle B says he doesn't know why the track is so slick, but last I heard he was on the drivers council.

And this is pretty scary, I never associated Smart and Austin Dillion together before
“Think ‘smart’ is the key word,” said Austin Dillon when asked about his Charlotte approach. Dillon is 10th on the playoff grid with a slim 10-point advantage

Kez whining, that is no surprise
“As much fun as you can have going into a race knowing you’re going to destroy about 30 cars,” said Keselowski.

https://racer.com/2018/09/24/drivers-predicting-a-slugfest-on-charlotte-roval/

Of course. Add stickum. Or a restrictor plate or something.
The fans are asking for more gimmicks. NASCAR needs to step it up.
Charlotte Motor Speedway officials wanted to put down PJ1 in both 3 and 4 and 5 and 6
“NASCAR then turned to the driver’s council. The driver’s council actually said no to that

Back
Top Bottom