2021 Silly Season

Tracks generate a lot of revenue from people.

That’s a financial issue.

Could have fooled me. For the last umpteen years NASCAR has has acted like as long as they have their TV revenue, they could care less about the in person attendance. They skew everyhing to the desires of TV and the hell with what works for ticket buyers.

Could have fooled me. For the last umpteen years NASCAR has has acted like as long as they have their TV revenue, they could care less about the in person attendance. They skew everyhing to the desires of TV and the hell with what works for ticket buyers.
Are you unfamiliar with the basic business plans in use by NASCAR sanctioned racetracks?

eh that's pretty exagerated. They have done all kinds of fan enrichment's to the tracks, spent millions on modernization's. But TV is number one with the cash flow.

eh that's pretty exagerated. They have done all kinds of fan enrichment's to the tracks, spent millions on modernization's. But TV is number one with the cash flow.
and don't forget Nascar makes its money from the tracks they own so I think it is safe to say they really do care. They know the TV revenue is going to dry up big time.

why would it dry up. My cable bill isn't going down that's for damn sure.
I don't think either network will pay that much again to launch a cable channel.
If they haven't been successful more won't make it better and if it was successful they don't need the advertisement.

I don't think either network will pay that much again to launch a cable channel.
If they haven't been successful more won't make it better and if it was successful they don't need the advertisement.
good luck with that. Comparing what they are paying when they renew contracts for other similar sports programming, I differ in my opinion. Your cable bill going down?

I don’t think anyone is minimizing the benefit of having as many paying fans in the stands as possible. My understanding is with the way the current broadcast deal is structured NASCAR and the tracks are well taken care of but not so much the teams.

I wouldn’t bet the farm that NASCAR will be forced to take less in the next broadcast deal. They say that live sports is an important property to have and there is only so much of it to go around. Maybe Netflix or YouTube will be the next home for NASCAR?

If you were REALLY concerned about filling the stands (granted, not applicable this year) you don't start a race on a holiday weekend Sunday at 4PM at a track that doesn't have lights. That's about all you need to know about TV matters and you don't.

If you were REALLY concerned about filling the stands (granted, not applicable this year) you don't start a race on a holiday weekend Sunday at 4PM at a track that doesn't have lights. That's about all you need to know about TV matters and you don't.
Surely your not taking scheduling this year serious?

good luck with that. Comparing what they are paying when they renew contracts for other similar sports programming, I differ in my opinion. Your cable bill going down?
LOL I don't use cable, no wires long enough to come this far north.

I think Nascar and the tracks would like to see more fans in the stands but they are hamstrung by the TV people. The networks have spent a lot of money for the programming so they get to bark out the orders.

Kyle Larson's name is noticeably absent.
Well he cant really be considered until he's reinstated and I think nascar doesn't have the guts to do that with their BLM stance.

Also Reddick is listed but last week RC said in an interview that they have him for at least one more year?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I haven't heard a word about Larson completing his re-programming. I agree, even if he has it would be bad timing to announce he was coming back. I think Childress would go deep pockets to keep reddick if it came down to it.

RC HAS to keep Reddick, I’d be shocked if he wasn’t in that car for the immediate future. And I dont see Larson on a grid at all next year, maybe he’s enjoying the WoO Circuit too much

The race took 3:16:05 . Race started at just after 4. Sunset at Indy was 9:01. Race time included a red flag for the wreck on pit road. Next
A 5 minute rain shower means you don't get the full race in

The race took 3:16:05 . Race started at just after 4. Sunset at Indy was 9:01. Race time included a red flag for the wreck on pit road. Next

Turn one at Indy doesn't care when "sunset" is. More to the point, it's hard on people who have to go the work the next morning, and there's a good chance you won't be able to get an entire race in. One member of our group has already dropped out because of the late start times. The lousy July date basically finished off two more of our group. In 2018, we had five people there. IF we had been allowed to attend this year. it would have only been two. Us hardcore people tend to roll with the punches, but for those that can take NASCAR or leave it, stuff like this matters, at least that's what they tell me, and the fact that I can get the same seats three weeks before the race that I used to have to reserve 51 weeks in advance says that a LOT of people probably feel the same way.

I salivate at the thought of him and Harvick manning the ship for SHR. Lethal combo
The only thing is who's the odd man out? Clint? He's at least bring sponsorship dollars.

Would Ford give this its blessing? Have to remember Chevy dropped him as well so he'd have to get manufacturer support

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It is what it is.

Tell that to the person who shells out hundreds of dollars so they can sit on hot aluminum seats in the afternoon sun. You guys keep saying that fans in the stands matter, then go about proving my point that they really don't. In another thread here, it was suggested that it might make more sense economically to eliminate in person attendance altogether. They MAY have a point.

Tell that to the person who shells out hundreds of dollars so they can sit on hot aluminum seats in the afternoon sun. You guys keep saying that fans in the stands matter, then go about proving my point that they really don't. In another thread here, it was suggested that it might make more sense economically to eliminate in person attendance altogether. They MAY have a point.

I think the easiest way to look at the attendance problem is to look at the tracks themselves. Have any fallen into disrepair? Are any cup tracks on the verge of closing down? Have some tracks spent millions refurbishing a facility that seats less people?

Right now the ticket paying audience is not the most important thing for the tracks. That could change in the coming years or not.

Larson throws his hat in the ring

I was leaving a little for for doubt as to Larson returning to Cup next year... just in the ‘odd’ occurrence that he enjoyed himself more on dirt like he’s doing now...

but him confirming that he’s ready to be back... is enough for me to go ahead and shoehorn him into one of the possible open seats next year... I’d say this is how Bowyer exits the 14...

Last edited:
I think the easiest way to look at the attendance problem is to look at the tracks themselves. Have any fallen into disrepair? Are any cup tracks on the verge of closing down? Have some tracks spent millions refurbishing a facility that seats less people?

Right now the ticket paying audience is not the most important thing for the tracks. That could change in the coming years or not.

Since the original master TV contract was signed for the 2001 season, NASCAR, ISC and SMI have been slowly and steadily tilting the scale away from catering to the in person fan and instead focusing on making TV happy. As attendance has dropped, (a good deal of it because of that policy in my opinion) it just makes it that much easier to shift the balance even further. At what point does the costs of involved in having a live audience outweigh the revenue generated by such?

Back
Top Bottom