2021 Silly Season

My predictions:
-Briscoe to the 14
-Bowyer to the 43 (if team doesn't shutter)
-Bell to the 20
-Erik Jones to the 48
-Bubba to the 42
-Dibenedetto gets 1 more year in the 21
-LaJoie to the 37, Preece back to Xfinity
i agree with DiBenedetto staying in the #21. Indeed, I don't see any reason for him to consider leaving it for a couple of seasons. While I supported him getting a better ride than the #95, I think running in the low teens / top 10 is about what he's capable of right now.

-IF- Bowyer is ejected from the #14, I expect he'll head for the booth, not the #43 or comparable ride.

I came here to post those exact two sentences... ya beat me by 10 minutes. Makes me think Brad had other irons in the fire that suddenly cooled off, so a one-year renewal to allow things to develop. That doesn't necessarily mean a move to another team. It *could* be a year to give Penske time to shore up it's sponsorship picture and come up with additional bucks... just guessing.
I think the $$$ Brad was demanding is the reason for just 1 yr extension.
Sure Penske could bring in a cheaper driver but would it be cheaper running back in the pack??

Sure Penske could bring in a cheaper driver but would it be cheaper running back in the pack??

Drivers like Bubba and Jones are going to be cheaper compared to what Brad K is getting.

I don't know where Bubba stands in attracting sponsors post-BLM stance. They brought in CashApp, but who know how long that was in the works. I do know they've lost some sponsorship to some other teams like Plan B Sales and a couple of others. And it was Blue Emu that dropped Bubba after he quit the virtual race at Bristol (which I thought was a joke and a disgrace). Maybe the BLM stuff help put Bubba more in the limelight and now sponsors have taken notice. I really don't know.

As for Brad's comments, teams have been picking drivers with sponsors over talent going back 25 years. Once of the first one I remember was when Petty Enterprises hired Buckshot Jones because he had the sponsorship with Pacific wrapped up. There may have been others before him. But that one really started the trend we see today.
Funnily enough when Buckshot ran the 44 fulltime neither GP or PE wanted him in the car.

pretty much covers it. I doubt those sponsors are interested in the Petty team but in the driver.
CashApp signed to Petty for two years, not to Bubba in this case.

It's actually a pretty cool deal to donate to Victory Junction and Cash App gives an extra kick for donating. I love how they are using their platforms to help push Victory Junction forward. That is extremely commendable by everyone involved IMO.

CashApp signed to Petty for two years, not to Bubba in this case.

It's actually a pretty cool deal to donate to Victory Junction and Cash App gives an extra kick for donating. I love how they are using their platforms to help push Victory Junction forward. That is extremely commendable by everyone involved IMO.

absolutely an amazing thing! The victory junction deal is one of the coolest things I can think of as it relates to individuals from the racing world. So proud of Kyle and his family for doing such an admirable thing and helping out so many families

Any cause that stands up and puts proceeds towards the camp, is a complete win in my book.

So am I.

I want to see Chastain get a fair shake at CGR. I really want to see Ross do well, if he has the opportunity to move to the 42. I still want to see him in that car.

Seeing RPM shut down would suck, but I wonder if Chip is interested in moving the 43 in-house like what RPM is doing with RCR? Just a thought... Does Ganassi hang their own bodies now in days? Or do they still work with HMS or just use HMS engines?
I'm almost positive it's been an engine only relationship for a few years now

My predictions:
-Briscoe to the 14
-Bowyer to the 43 (if team doesn't shutter)
-Bell to the 20
-Erik Jones to the 48
-Bubba to the 42
-Dibenedetto gets 1 more year in the 21
-LaJoie to the 37, Preece back to Xfinity
I think Preece is running too well to not have a Cup ride next year. I can see him getting the 14 and I don't think LaJoie is near ready for Cup

Drivers like Bubba and Jones are going to be cheaper compared to what Brad K is getting.
One reason Jones was put in the #20 is because he was cheaper than Kenseth. I dunno if you can make a career out of being cheaper, at least not and continue to get good rides.

The point I was making was maybe Jones and Bubba are cheaper do to their salary but how much is a sponsor willing to pay per race for those drivers?? You have to be running up front to get sponsor exposure unless your name is Junior.

One reason Jones was put in the #20 is because he was cheaper than Kenseth. I dunno if you can make a career out of being cheaper, at least not and continue to get good rides.

My understanding that he was way cheaper than Kenseth, but don't tell @StandOnIt. He has his theory.

Lajoie has performed similar if not better than what Matt DiBenedetto has in the 32 car.

Dude has earned his stripes to get another seat. I'd like to see him replace Ryan Preece in the 37, that's if Preece returns for another season.

Lajoie has performed similar if not better than what Matt DiBenedetto has in the 32 car.

Dude has earned his stripes to get another seat. I'd like to see him replace Ryan Preece in the 37, that's if Preece returns for another season.

I've never thought that DiBenedetto was the **** either like some do. If Lajoie got a decent ride, his constant underfunded whining narrative would go away, and we would be left with his talent. Maybe a good ride will make him go away?

I think the pace car would be a good ride for Lajoie

I've never thought that DiBenedetto was the **** either like some do. If Lajoie got a decent ride, his constant underfunded whining narrative would go away, and we would be left with his talent. Maybe a good ride will make him go away?
Eh, he has a point though. Corey Lajoie five years ago was one of the most heavily criticized drivers in the Cup field when he was driving for BK Racing. I remember he missed the first race at Daytona that year in the 23 and had many accidents. He had some maturity issues as well, but he turned himself around and the talent he has is there. Sunday Money is a podcast at the end of the day where he just lets his feelings go and he's in a backmarker organization, I think many would complain as well about the situation, but won't openly talk about the experience like he has.

I enjoy Sunday Money a lot and gives an honest perspective from someone who deals with a backmarker team on a week to week basis. GoFas is already heavily criticized for the Trump sponsorship, I think he would continue to be honest and find what works for him in the future with more opportunity.

Also, Matty D has honestly been head and shoulders above my expectations. He's had more impressive races than not this season and has been bitten by some bad luck at times. He's been a solid addition to the Wood Brothers, hopefully Lajoie can continue to do well for GoFas to get that next step in the future.

I think the pace car would be a good ride for Lajoie

He would get out and whine about the price of gas. That is his deal. I don't really think he wants more. He loves the doing more with less stuff. So be it. His dad rambles too. Not a big fan of either.

Eh, he has a point though. Corey Lajoie five years ago was one of the most heavily criticized drivers in the Cup field when he was driving for BK Racing. I remember he missed the first race at Daytona that year in the 23 and had many accidents. He had some maturity issues as well, but he turned himself around and the talent he has is there. Sunday Money is a podcast at the end of the day where he just lets his feelings go and he's in a backmarker organization, I think many would complain as well about the situation, but won't openly talk about the experience like he has.

I enjoy Sunday Money a lot and gives an honest perspective from someone who deals with a backmarker team on a week to week basis. GoFas is already heavily criticized for the Trump sponsorship, I think he would continue to be honest and find what works for him in the future with more opportunity.

Also, Matty D has honestly been head and shoulders above my expectations. He's had more impressive races than not this season and has been bitten by some bad luck at times. He's been a solid addition to the Wood Brothers, hopefully Lajoie can continue to do well for GoFas to get that next step in the future.

I don't like what LaJoie did with the NASCAR Radio stuff and the constant harping on the Denny thing. The idiot producers let that go way too far, but he says the same crap his dad did. Sunday Money is fine because that is what his show is about, but some aren't interested, and he made an ass out of himself. Matty D is likable, but his stuff is wearing thin on me as well. The teary over-emotional just want it so bad narrative is getting old. There will be a point where he will need to win. @StandOnIt will say that Leavine screwed him with old JGR equipment. What is his excuse now?

I don't like what LaJoie did with the NASCAR Radio stuff and the constant harping on the Denny thing. The idiot producers let that go way too far, but he says the same crap his dad did. Sunday Money is fine because that is what his show is about, but some aren't interested, and he made an ass out of himself. Matty D is likable, but his stuff is wearing thin on me as well. The teary over-emotional just want it so bad narrative is getting old. There will be a point where he will need to win. @StandOnIt will say that Leavine screwed him with old JGR equipment. What is his excuse now?
First off, Hamlin loves to nitpick with people. Hamlin can dish it, but cannot take the critcism at times. Lajoie has also had some instances of talking too much at times, but Lajoie was right. Hamlin literally told Lajoie to go on iRacing to "prove himself", Lajoie did well for someone who was not a big fan of iRacing. Got crashed out at Dover and North Wilkesboro Lajoie's brake pedal broke being up in the top-5.

Hamlin got quiet then messed with Lajoie about his fitness level at Atlanta. Corey said he doesn't have a cool suit like Hamlin does at JGR, it's not that crazy, but anyone will eventually get irritated about it. Hamlin's MO was to always be a bully, he did it so many times in the past and always came out of it looking worse than before. He sure as hell didn't say anything after Lajoie beat him straight-up in a chassis that was 12 years old at Martinsville. I like Denny a lot as a driver, but his pettiness levels are ridiculous at times and can rub others the wrong way for sure.

Also, Matt D got emotional on two occasions. The BK Racing top 10 and the LFR second place last year, some of you are really silly about men showing emotions. I'm sorry he isn't a stoic character like you want to see. I know if I was that close to closing out the deal, I certainly would get a bit emotional and especially knowing that I will be replaced even after great performances that season. I'm glad he's found his footing in the Wood Brothers car and I hope he does get that win for himself, he can certainly do it.

Do you really believe that Corey LaJoie couldn't get a cool suit if he really wanted one?

And, iRacing.

Not really defending Denny.....just thought that LaJoie made an ass out of himself....but his dad did that too.

He would get out and whine about the price of gas. That is his deal. I don't really think he wants more. He loves the doing more with less stuff. So be it. His dad rambles too. Not a big fan of either.
*Revman complains about a driver whining*
Me: *looks over at Revman's avatar*

1596551202174.png

Do you really believe that Corey LaJoie couldn't get a cool suit if he really wanted one?

And, iRacing.

Not really defending Denny.....just thought that LaJoie made an ass out of himself....but his dad did that too.
Hamlin's an ass, but a talented one.

You are defending Denny due to your dislike of Lajoie family in general.

And, iRacing.

LaJoie had a point, but then didn't know when to shut up and let Denny take the PR loss. In that aspect, you're 100% correct. LaJoie took it too far and looked stupid as well.

Hamlin's an ass, but a talented one.

You are defending Denny due to your dislike of Lajoie family in general.

I agree on both accounts.

LaJoie had a point, but then didn't know when to shut up and let Denny take the PR loss. In that aspect, you're 100% correct. LaJoie took it too far and looked stupid as well.
You think Hamlin would have gone after someone else on his level at the moment?

I'll wait.

I think the one year only extension was about the horrid timing this year. This is not a good time for a driver to be pushing the price. Give it a year, and go at it again. I think that something is different with Brad in Penske-Land.

One less quality seat in the field, for now at least. Bell to HMS picks up now? Can TRD bring GBR more into the fold?

Going out on a limb, do CGR purchase a Spire charter to to run a three-car team with Kurt, Bubba, and Chastain for a year? Expanding for a year before a new car comes seems counterintuitive though, just thinking out loud.

I think the one year only extension was about the horrid timing this year. This is not a good time for a driver to be pushing the price. Give it a year, and go at it again. I think that something is different with Brad in Penske-Land.
Could you expand on that? I think Joey is off his game a bit considering he has wolf.
All in all I think Penske is #1 in Nascar this year with all 4 cars running pretty good.
No other 3 or 4 car team is doing as well. IMO

One less quality seat in the field, for now at least. Bell to HMS picks up now? Can TRD bring GBR more into the fold?

Going out on a limb, do CGR purchase a Spire charter to to run a three-car team with Kurt, Bubba, and Chastain for a year? Expanding for a year before a new car comes seems counterintuitive though, just thinking out loud.
No way GBR is the next TRD team. I doubt without more help from Toyota they are able to do it. Realize they are a part-time team doing a full schedule, it would be a massive turn around for them to do that.

Not to mention, Suarez would probably get left hanging again. The wild thing to me is that LFR did not sell any of the chassis and are giving them back to JGR at the end of the season. This whole situation is wild to me, I could see CGR getting a third car, but with Kurt being on a deal with Monster on a year to year basis would it be financially viable for CGR to do that? They have been inconsistent speed wise, I'm not sure adding a third will help the situation.

Back
Top Bottom