2021 Silly Season

Larson is definitely in agreement with the majority of drivers that prefer higher horsepower and lower downforce. Likely more so than most, as that suits his talent. Momentum racing does not. That bush can be beat around in a variety of ways, but it's obvious. He is likely good enough to excel no matter the formula, but his incredible level of skill in open wheel dirt cars only partially translates to a heavy stock car. If the run he's had this summer provides anything translatable to Cup, it's confidence and aggression.

I thought the interview with archie st hilaire this afternoon was pretty good. Said the split between Corey was about as mutual as could be. Said that at this point his team is meant to be a stepping stone for drivers and he doesn't expect anyone to be there more than a couple seasons. Basically said Corey helped them a lot but at this point they couldn't offer anymore to him and he knew that if he wanted to improve he'd have to go somewhere else.

What I also found interesting was that be said between the trump sponsorship and the one day shows they're actually making money this year

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seeing that LaJoie is out of the 32 the other day, one has to immediately think about how he talked about that ride the whole time he had it... We all get that the car was not equal to gibbs or whoever... but how about not put it down every chance you have?! That social media stuff... we all see it. Someone should make sure Corey knows his settings were on ‘public’
#unappreciative

No one in the Ford pipeline is ready for the move to that ride nor does SHR have any other drivers in line.

Young Ford drivers as of right now - Todd Gilliland, Ben Rhodes, Tanner Gray, and Hailie Deegan

Not a lot to choose from for them. I think it will be a better situation for Preece because he is a good driver, but not good enough to keep the 37. If, he can go out and win in bunches with the 98... Maybe, it could be a situation where he stays around for a bit in the car until someone is ready to move up.
Is Rhodes even being considered for an Xfinity ride? I think he's going to be a truck series lifer

Seeing that LaJoie is out of the 32 the other day, one has to immediately think about how he talked about that ride the whole time he had it... I’m not trying to diss Corey right here, but I wasn’t the least bit surprised that car will have someone else in the seat.

#unappreciative
Disagree entirely, he's grateful.

The team literally put his career back on track and he now has a platform himself to build off of. Three years ago, Lajoie was damn near a laughingstock and now he's turning into a free agent teams want.

I enjoy his personality and straight-forward nature in telling it like it is. I'd like to see him continue to build himself because he has potential to grow in and out of the racecar. Also, St. Hilarie even said he's done all he can do and expects his team to be a turnstile every two to three years with drivers due to his lack of resources.

Is Rhodes even being considered for an Xfinity ride? I think he's going to be a truck series lifer
I would consider him, I think he would fare better than the others mentioned previously in Xfinity to start out. It sucks because Rhodes was so young at 18 with JRM, but I'd like to see him give Xfinity a second chance with more experience behind the wheel and not just being thrown in.

Disagree entirely, he's grateful.

The team literally put his career back on track and he now has a platform himself to build off of. Three years ago, Lajoie was damn near a laughingstock and now he's turning into a free agent teams want.

I enjoy his personality and straight-forward nature in telling it like it is. I'd like to see him continue to build himself because he has potential to grow in and out of the racecar. Also, St. Hilarie even said he's done all he can do and expects his team to be a turnstile every two to three years with drivers due to his lack of resources.

I guess the things he’s mentioned have resonated differently with you and I. That’s fair though. I’m sure he meant well, but at times he just sounded like he was always trying to say things along the lines of “well if had anyone else’s stuff I’d beat you all”... I just feel when a guy harps on that tone like Corey did so many times, it can be taken as negative. It’s like he’s almost putting down his guys each time he talked about being in another car... just doesn’t rest well when I hear that.

It’s probably just me.

I didn’t want to start a bash on him. But simply my take is that I feel he’s negative. I probably misunderstand him though.

I have always thought LaJoie was a smart ass with a big mouth and I won't be surprised if he doesn't find a cup ride. You can't get away with that unless you can really drive a racecar, and he has never been close. I think Archie got rid of him because he was bad for business.

I have always thought LaJoie was a smart ass with a big mouth and I won't be surprised if he doesn't find a cup ride. You can't get away with that unless you can really drive a racecar, and he has never been close. I think Archie got rid of him because he was bad for business.
He's done well for GoFas, for the team and how small they are he's actually driven about as equal, if not better than Matt D during his tenure with the team.

Only 6 DNFs in three years as well, he can drive. He and Archie had a mutual split, I see nothing wrong with it. Corey has brought a lot of eyes on this small team and has done well in his time there. I don't understand why many hate his confidence? He's never had a ride to really show just how good can be, so I'm hoping JTG signs him to the 37 to see if the equipment at GoFas was holding him back.

You would think a team owner would have interest in Erik Jones driving for them.
or is this a case of what sponsorship are you bringing?
an injustice would be Erik moving back to Bush series

You would think a team owner would have interest in Erik Jones driving for them.
or is this a case of what sponsorship are you bringing?
an injustice would be Erik moving back to Bush series

What makes you think there won't be interest?

no specific reason on why just think it would injustice if there was none
I think Erik has a good chance for the 48

Gotcha. Yeah, I can't imagine him not having any. 3 major landing spots imo 48, 14, 42. Then 2 backup if all else fails, 6 or 37. Assuming Hendrick stays at 4 cars, Bowyer doesn't return, and Newman doesn't return. Otherwise it does tighten up a little bit. Still likely he would be top choice for 42 if Bubba stays with 43 team.

For him to get offered nothing would be absolute injustice.

What percentage do you guys give the idea that ‘Noah could move from Xfinity into the 48’?

Ross Chastain said in his interview he hasn’t spoken to Chip about the 42 car.

Not sure what to say about Ross in Xfinity this year. He’s been very consistent. Top 10s in all but 3 races. But hasn’t really competed with the likes of Briscoe and Cindric for wins.

Granted, Kaulig isn’t top notch stuff. He finishes 7th with a 7th place car most weeks. But I expected him to show out a little more. The guy has 77 Cup starts under his belt that the other prospects don’t have. I think Ross is in the same boat Matty D is. Good driver. But hasn’t quite done enough to lock down the opportunity he needs. And thus might get jumped by other guys looking for rides.

Both those guys need to grab a win soon.

Not sure what to say about Ross in Xfinity this year. He’s been very consistent. Top 10s in all but 3 races. But hasn’t really competed with the likes of Briscoe and Cindric for wins.

Granted, Kaulig isn’t top notch stuff. He finishes 7th with a 7th place car most weeks. But I expected him to show out a little more. The guy has 77 Cup starts under his belt that the other prospects don’t have. I think Ross is in the same boat Matty D is. Good driver. But hasn’t quite done enough to lock down the opportunity he needs. And thus might get jumped by other guys looking for rides.

Both those guys need to grab a win soon.

I think currently Ross sets up well for #1 on Kurt's timeline. A year or two more seasoning for him in Xfinity and start visiting victory lane in that series.

I'm a big Bubba guy, but I'd be damned if Bubba takes the 42 over Chastain.

Chastain I feel is making Kaulig look better than what they really are atm. Don't get me wrong, I like Justin Haley a lot, but Chastain is doing what I expected him to do in the 10 car. He's next up being the guy due for a win this season, he's been really good for the most part. Matt Kaulig is doing the best he can with what he has because Kaulig is a small team for the most part.

Chastain I feel could be similar to Matt D, I do like the comparison to him with a bit more aggression at times. I hope Spire is willing to do more with their team, maybe the 77 with CGR support could become a bigger deal. I just wish Ross more sponsors backing him, even though Nutrien AG is a solid deal. I would love more agricultural brands support from him with his upbringing in watermelon farming.

I'm a big Bubba guy, but I'd be damned if Bubba takes the 42 over Chastain.

Chastain I feel is making Kaulig look better than what they really are atm. Don't get me wrong, I like Justin Haley a lot, but Chastain is doing what I expected him to do in the 10 car. He's next up being the guy due for a win this season, he's been really good for the most part. Matt Kaulig is doing the best he can with what he has because Kaulig is a small team for the most part.

Chastain I feel could be similar to Matt D, I do like the comparison to him with a bit more aggression at times. I hope Spire is willing to do more with their team, maybe the 77 with CGR support could become a bigger deal. I just wish Ross more sponsors backing him, even though Nutrien AG is a solid deal. I would love more agricultural brands support from him with his upbringing in watermelon farming.

The Bubba deal is strictly business. That’s no disrespect to him. I like the guy and want to see him in a better ride. But no way he gets that ride without his sudden influx of sponsorship.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I felt the same way about GMS in Xfinity last year with JHN. Good teams that do the best they can with what they have. But nowhere near the resources of a Penske, Gibbs, SHR or evening JRM. That said, Ross has been around for a while now. He’s much more experienced in these cars than guys like Gragson and Cindric. He really needs to jump up there and win a couple. He’s 27 and comes with little sponsorship.

Let’s not forget, there’s also Erik Jones sitting out there with twice the resume of any of these guys. This is what frustrates me about 1/3 of the field being Rick Ware affiliated ****boxes. Not enough actual rides for these guys to climb in. Ross may be better off trying to jump to a team like FRM. Drive his balls off on Sundays and try to catch someone’s eye.

I think Jones is a lock for the 48. I'll be very surprised if it's anyone but him.
I think so as well.

Just FYI -- David Smith (Motorsports Analytics) says Hendrick is looking to sign a driver for no more than $2 million per year for the 48, citing an unnamed source. Smith thinks Jones might well have better paying offers. But even if he does, he might accept less money to sign with HMS, in my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if Briscoe bails. I seriously doubt SHR is going to make room for him under their roof. Cendric is another. Penske has a full house with a kicker in the 21
BUT they could run another car under Wood Bros AND there is room at Team Penske for a 4th car.

BUT they could run another car under Wood Bros AND there is room at Team Penske for a 4th car.
They can do all that and cook popcorn at the same time. Adding another car for any of them is either restricted to 4 cars or the expense of adding another team and all of the supporting equipment that a team needs. Taint cheap. An existing team that needs a driver? much cheaper. I do believe the way things are trending that it's a team owners field day. If they own any kind of a car team they can find a good driver for cheap. Tony Stewart on Mikey's podcast said they really like Briscoe. He said they needed to find a place for him in cup. That means to me anyway that they will help set up an affiliate team for Briscoe.

If they own any kind of a car team they can find a good driver for cheap.
I agree with that part. The sport is so safe now there is no reason for the death defying multi million contracts. Hell, I may try it at 2 million a year. :cool:

As much as I hate to say it, I think the smoke picking up around Noah to the 48 again isn't coincidental.
That's funny because I was just thinking since brad signed we haven't heard much of anything about the 48 for next year

Hendrick could be looking at Noah as a guy they think would be ready in a ‘couple years‘, but the situation of the 48 needing a driver... “let’s just bring him in... we want him with us later anyway”

Simply speeding the process...

Maybe he’s ready for cup... maybe he’s not ready for cup in some peoples eyes, but the seat is open and why not see what he can do?... Ally is there through 2023 anyway.

Just spit balling an idea... could be a way that some view the idea of Noah stepping up.

Hendrick could be looking at Noah as a guy they think would be ready in a ‘couple years‘, but the situation of the 48 needing a driver... “let’s just bring him in... we want him with us later anyway”

Simply speeding the process...

Maybe he’s ready for cup... maybe he’s not ready for cup in some peoples eyes, but the seat is open and why not see what he can do?... Ally is there through 2023 anyway.

Just spit balling an idea... could be a way that some view the idea of Noah stepping up.
At least we think Ally is there til 2023. I'd be shocked if there isn't at some terms in that contract that would allow them to at least reduce the number of races per year if JJ isn't in the car. In his day I can't see any sponsors saying yeah we'll sponsor your team just go find whoever to put in the car we don't care

One thing I've always kind of noticed over the years with certain drivers is the passion or drive, or some kind of fire that drives them and the tempers that can sometimes spill over due to that along with other things.

Most of the greats seem to have it. Think about some of the incidents through the years for example with Kevin Harvick, the Bush brothers, Tony Stewart etc, even Dale Earnhardt and Darrel Waltrip back in the day.

Also even as fan of William Byron who has watched him through the years, this seems to be something he lacks at times which may be a part of why he hasn't quite set the world on fire.

Just some examples. But, and this is definitely not meant to compare him to any of those guys, but I do see a bit of this in Gragson, and it is something that cannot necessarily be taught.

At least we think Ally is there til 2023. I'd be shocked if there isn't at some terms in that contract that would allow them to at least reduce the number of races per year if JJ isn't in the car. In his day I can't see any sponsors saying yeah we'll sponsor your team just go find whoever to put in the car we don't care

I agree with you there. There very possibly could be an ‘out’ built into ALLY’s contract with Hendrick... something we will never know until it could come up.

At this point, I’d bet money SHR throws some money at the 32 car and sticks Briscoe in it. The 14 is a toss up. If they can’t get Larson, I could see Clint getting one more year.

Don’t know what to make of the 48. If it were me, I’d have Erik Jones signed already. I think he’d excel with an organization that actually gives him what he needs. But who knows. Maybe they do promote Gragson. I don’t think he’s ready yet. Hell, leave him in Xfinity for another year and if Byron can’t put it together next year than stick him in the 24.

42 is likely waiting on Bubba to make his decision. That’s likely the domino that will cause the rest to fall.

When Automobiles disappear. Similar to when pigs fly. :biggrin: Hendrick has over 98 dealerships employing over 10,000 and Ally is another name for General Motors Acceptance Corporation or GMAC. Credit for those who don't pay cash.

When Automobiles disappear. Similar to when pigs fly. :biggrin: Hendrick has over 98 dealerships employing over 10,000 and Ally is another name for General Motors Acceptance Corporation or GMAC. Credit for those who don't pay cash.
It’s Ally’s way of saying thanks for all that business.

Back
Top Bottom