2022 Silly Season

It's just not helpful to say, "I'm going to be the first openly Pro-Patriot, Pro-Christian driver."
Are you basing this off the Trotta tweet? Because that tweet was lacking context and put words in his mouth that he didnt actually say. To my knowledge, Matt actually said nothing remotely close to this.

So what is Denny trying to say? He's a car owner. If he thinks there's a problem with the system, what's stopping him from being part of the solution?
Never thought for a minute that Hambone was a go to source for wisdom or insight. Even Nascar layman fans know you have to bring money for best results. Matt with all of his supposed popularity doesn't have any. It's a mean ol world out there.

So what is Denny trying to say? He's a car owner. If he thinks there's a problem with the system, what's stopping him from being part of the solution?
Denny and Matt are good friends. Denny believes in him and his ability.

@ChexOrWrex No, McFadin posted that excerpt and his statement was taken out of context. At this point, everyone has their opinions made.

At this point, where the cards fall is where they fall.

A brand new owner at that. One of several, even, who were intrigued enough about the business model hopefully changing for the better over the next few years to be willing to invest in it. I don’t know what he’s complaining about, hopes and dreams are never enough to run a major race team and he knows better.

I understand. But it still doesn't answer the question.
I mean its been this way for quite sometime now.

Money speaks volumes and Denny talked about extensively on Racing Spaces. In short, Denny talked about what owners saw in him to give him his chance with JGR.

Things like, how is this driver coping with being lapped for instance. Does he or she make it extremely difficult?

Things like ability to finish that spot or two better at times?

If not and this person may have a 20th place car, bit finishes in 20th cleanly without over-driving?

Just things like that to make prospective owners or manufactuers want to see. Or just bring in a boat load of cash and let the cards fall, like with Riley Herbst this year.

Make fun of Hambone all you want, the dude knows what he's talking about. It was less of a owner perspective, but more of looking through his lens as a driver. At least that's how I took on his statement(s), tweets, or w/e.

Speaking of Denny and 23XI, apparently their talks with FRM for charter acquisition has collapsed.

I’m inclined to support the chartered car owner’s positions.

Exactly. If he really wanted to reverse course on the direction things have gone then he could have made a statement by hiring Matt himself.

I’m inclined to support the chartered car owner’s positions.

I’m not a fan of a system that allows Rick Ware to run 33rd-36th in owner points while JR Motorsports decides if it’s worth it to spend their money and compete. I thought BJ McLeod and Matt Tiffts team would be more competitive than this too (don’t need to light the world on fire but BJ was better than this at JDM)

And I like that Rick gave guys like James Davison a ride, but RWR needs to be more competitive and not laps and laps down.

There’s a difference between backmarker (like Derrike Cope’s) team and just being painfully off the pace some weekends. I hope the new SHR affiliation picks up their speed some.

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of a system that allows Rick Ware to run 33rd-36th in owner points while JR Motorsports decides if it’s worth it to spend their money and compete. I thought BJ McLeod and Matt Tiffts team would be more competitive than this too (don’t need to light the world on fire but BJ was better than this at JDM)

And I like that Rick gave guys like James Davison a ride, but RWR needs to be more competitive and not laps and laps down.

There’s a difference between backmarker (like Derrike Cope’s) team and just being painfully off the pace some weekends. I hope the new SHR affiliation picks up their speed some.
Thinking that every car is going to be competative and racing for wins or top 10's is living in a fairy land. If it isn't RWR it would be somebody else to complain about running in the rear.

If labels are going to be applied, let's be fair about it.
Exactly. Gene Haas is also a convicted felon, and if you are going to give a pre-race invocation on national TV and before a crowd of tens of thousands multiple times, I don't think the nickname "preacher" is really off the mark.

Thinking that every car is going to be competative and racing for wins or top 10's is living in a fairy land. If it isn't RWR it would be somebody else to complain about running in the rear.

That’s not what I said. RWR cars are consistent 10-20 laps down. Big difference between being a backmarker and being a rolling chicane.

They should try to keep up with Cope. I don’t see a whole lot of whining about the 00.

It wasn’t even just you tbh. More or so the others. Like so many replies after from the same people who constantly put him down just doing it again, and I find it so stupid. As long as the stuff he’s saying isn’t hateful or anything, it’s all good in my books. If he started spouting off hate speech and everything, that be one thing. But I don’t feel he would do that.
I've been a huge Matty D supporter but that statement he released was just foolish. Makes me think he doesn’t actually have many offers.

Matty D has proven this year that he belongs. That said, he needs to keep his mouth shut. Not many good things come out of it.

Yes. Damage done by misinformation. Common as dirt.

Please don’t speak down to me.

Doesnt have talent > doesnt bring sponsor money > doesnt have an agent > ???

1634384264661.gif

Doesnt have talent > doesnt bring sponsor money > doesnt have an agent > ???

View attachment 58077
Let's be real here he was very lucky that his friendship with Paul Menard resulted in him getting a chance in a top ride. He did not capitalize on that good fortune. Had he won a race in that car, or simply hired an agent he'd probably be employed and ready to go for next season. Again he's talented but not at the Kyle Larson "do things incorrectly and still end up on a top team" talent level.

It isn't goal post moving to point out the fact that his career choices haven't worked out for him. If you think it isn't a bad move to go through a contract year without an agent then you're being disingenuous.

Not sure you can correlate Matt’s talent with the reason why he’s out of a ride.
I haven’t, many here have. I’ve said from the top that he is talented enough for a competitive ride in the Cup Series and the only thing that has held him back so far is lack of individual funding.

He’s found a ton of success on his own so far without having a typical agent/driver operation, I don’t think it’s a problem.

We’re in a circumstance in the sport where even a multiwinning driver like Erik Jones is kneecapped at Petty Enterprises. Theres not many active open doors and sponsors are what they are.

Let's be real here he was very lucky that his friendship with Paul Menard resulted in him getting a chance in a top ride. He did not capitalize on that good fortune. Had he won a race in that car, or simply hired an agent he'd probably be employed and ready to go for next season. Again he's talented but not at the Kyle Larson "do things incorrectly and still end up on a top team" talent level.

It isn't goal post moving to point out the fact that his career choices haven't worked out for him. If you think it isn't a bad move to go through a contract year without an agent then you're being disingenuous.
Sorry, but I think there is a lot of loaded phrases there. Yes, he was lucky that Paul Menard wanted him in the 21, but many of us feel he EARNED that ride with his performance in sub par equipment, and to say he didn't capitalize on means in this case, nobody with a checkbook was tempted, despite results that as good or better than anybody else that has driven that car in decades.

I would also take issue with the idea that his career choices haven't worked out. He has taken the best rides that were available to him, the same rides ANYBODY else in his position would have taken. The simple fact is that if Paul Menard would have convinced his dad to keep writing checks, he likely would have had a half dozen teams beating down the door trying to sign him. Maybe that is Matt's fault, maybe it isn't, but I don't really see why you need an agent to point out the obvious. Yes, he's better than more than half the drivers out there, and no he brings no money to the table. As to why he brings no money to the table, maybe that IS his fault, but I would like to hear HIS side of the story before I make that determination. We have no idea who he has or hasn't talked to, and no idea why they haven't said yes.

I haven’t, many here have. I’ve said from the top that he is talented enough for a competitive ride in the Cup Series and the only thing that has held him back so far is lack of individual funding.

He’s found a ton of success on his own so far without having a typical agent/driver operation, I don’t think it’s a problem.

We’re in a circumstance in the sport where even a multiwinning driver like Erik Jones is kneecapped at Petty Enterprises. Theres not many active open doors and sponsors are what they are.

Got ya, just get tired of the memes these days is all

Back
Top Bottom