2022 Silly Season

Sorry, but I think there is a lot of loaded phrases there. Yes, he was lucky that Paul Menard wanted him in the 21, but many of us feel he EARNED that ride with his performance in sub par equipment, and to say he didn't capitalize on means in this case, nobody with a checkbook was tempted, despite results that as good or better than anybody else that has driven that car in decades.

I would also take issue with the idea that his career choices haven't worked out. He has taken the best rides that were available to him, the same rides ANYBODY else in his position would have taken. The simple fact is that if Paul Menard would have convinced his dad to keep writing checks, he likely would have had a half dozen teams beating down the door trying to sign him. Maybe that is Matt's fault, maybe it isn't, but I don't really see why you need an agent to point out the obvious. Yes, he's better than more than half the drivers out there, and no he brings no money to the table. As to why he brings no money to the table, maybe that IS his fault, but I would like to hear HIS side of the story before I make that determination. We have no idea who he has or hasn't talked to, and no idea why they haven't said yes.
The argument that Matt is talented enough to easily succeed without an agent, and agents are worthless anyway is not one that lines up with reality.

Also maybe if Paul Menard can't convince a company to sponsor Matt, I think Matt should hire a professional who does that sort of thing for a living. It seemed to help Matt out a lot when somebody did that type of work for him last time his contract was up.

I asked politely.
Well, I mean sorry. But. I just think it’s kind of childish to judge someone off MISINFORMED information. It would be like someone saying something you said, and it shown it’s not exactly what you said, but everyone still talks about that and say it’s what happened, when not true. I doubt you like that, so yeah.

Well, I mean sorry. But. I just think it’s kind of childish to judge someone off MISINFORMED information. It would be like someone saying something you said, and it shown it’s not exactly what you said, but everyone still talks about that and say it’s what happened, when not true. I doubt you like that, so yeah.
My point is that dis and misinformation, widely quoted, becomes many people’s perceived reality.

See Fox News.

My point is that dis and misinformation, widely quoted, becomes many people’s perceived reality.

See Fox News.
I would hope teams in the garage are smarter, and that sponsors are as well. Stuff that be easier with an agent. Because despite what you might think. The talent is there. His recent great finishes show that, funny after how he says the team is finally clicking he starts actually getting good finishes. But you probably got some reason for that not being Matt’s talent. Almost putting the 95 in victory lane shows that he is good. He just needs someone else doing the work for him on the negotiation side of things.

I would hope teams in the garage are smarter, and that sponsors are as well. Stuff that be easier with an agent. Because despite what you might think. The talent is there. His recent great finishes show that, funny after how he says the team is finally clicking he starts actually getting good finishes. But you probably got some reason for that not being Matt’s talent. Almost putting the 95 in victory lane shows that he is good. He just needs someone else doing the work for him on the negotiation side of things.
This is not about me. Please stop hallucinating answers to questions nobody asked.

Matt has a few races left to show his stuff. I wish him well, as we all do.

I gleefully agree with your last sentence.

Another way for me to put it is if the best Erik Jones can do being a 25 year old multi race winner is RPM then who does 30 year old winless Matt Dibenedetto think he is trying to get a good ride without an agent?

This is not about me. Please stop hallucinating answers to questions nobody asked.

Matt has a few races left to show his stuff. I wish him well, as we all do.

I gleefully agree with your last sentence.
Why can’t I say stuff you said when talking to you? You’ve in this thread said his talent isn’t good.

i feel he already has. Wins would be nice, but not winning doesn’t mean someone isn’t good. Look at his finishes lately. They speak for themselves. Some bad ones there for sure, but he’s been knocking off top 10s. Even a top 5 a few weeks ago.

Why can’t I say stuff you said when talking to you? You’ve in this thread said his talent isn’t good.

i feel he already has. Wins would be nice, but not winning doesn’t mean someone isn’t good. Look at his finishes lately. They speak for themselves. Some bad ones there for sure, but he’s been knocking off top 10s. Even a top 5 a few weeks ago.

Matt needs to WIN in this WIN or go home system lol. Let’s ignore the fact he’s statistically doing well compared to Almirola, Buescher, Custer, Briscoe, Newman, McDowell, Alfredo.

I think a 2nd FRM car would be a good place for him if Alfredo is taking his money elsewhere. But maybe he’s back for another year?

Part of the reason Smithfield sponsors a car at SHR is because Tony would be part of the package. This year Tony is off on a new career and so is not available to Smithfield.
I think JRM gets sponsors as well because they also get Junior.

Part of the reason Smithfield sponsors a car at SHR is because Tony would be part of the package. This year Tony is off on a new career and so is not available to Smithfield.
Is Tony not involved with SHR anymore?

What do you mean Tony is off on a new career? NHRA?
I don't know what he meant by Tony is not available to Smithfield either. I am looking forward to hearing Tony's sponsorship lineup for his NHRA teams next year. I don't know if he is bringing in some of his NASCAR sponsors or all new ones. It's nothing new to see sponsors sponsoring teams in multiple series.

Is Tony not involved with SHR anymore?
He is still part owner and is still involved with SHR and he said that this new adventure would not affect SHR at all. He also said if there was any chance that it would affect his NASCAR teams he would not have started this new adventure. The TSR shop that he runs his dirt car teams out of is in the same complex that John Force and most of the other NHRA teams are at in Brownsburg IN.

He is still part owner and is still involved with SHR and he said that this new adventure would not affect SHR at all. He also said if there was any chance that it would affect his NASCAR teams he would not have started this new adventure. The TSR shop that he runs his dirt car teams out of is in the same complex that John Force and most of the other NHRA teams are at in Brownsburg IN.
Figured this what it was. And not a RacingForums.com insider breaking some news

I don't believe I have ever heard that one.
Smithfield has changed their CEO and those of us who have been around awhile know what the usually means. They cut out all of the extra expenses to show a proffit (unless the CEO is a racing fan).

First, Rajah Caruth received the call up and now his REV Racing teammate, Nick Sanchez, has his opportunity:

He will be racing part-time for BJMM next season, he's a super nice dude. Got to meet him a few times out in Mooresville. Very talented as well.

It may not have any practical effect on how SHR performs, but I can't imagine that Tony is going to choose going to the NASCAR race over watching his wife run eliminations, so it would seem like that would be at 12-15 NASCAR races where Tony won't be there. Does that matter to any of the sponsors? Your guess is as good as mine.

It may not have any practical effect on how SHR performs, but I can't imagine that Tony is going to choose going to the NASCAR race over watching his wife run eliminations, so it would seem like that would be at 12-15 NASCAR races where Tony won't be there. Does that matter to any of the sponsors? Your guess is as good as mine.
With him being involved with his dirt car program I don't know how many NASCAR races he has been going to for the past few years. I haven't really noticed seeing him on the pit box that much. I figure his jet probably only takes about an hour and a half to get from the Indiana shop to the North Carolina shop and the airport most of the team jets fly out of are pretty close to both shops.

With him being involved with his dirt car program I don't know how many NASCAR races he has been going to for the past few years. I haven't really noticed seeing him on the pit box that much. I figure his jet probably only takes about an hour and a half to get from the Indiana shop to the North Carolina shop and the airport most of the team jets fly out of are pretty close to both shops.
That's a good point. I really don't know how many races Tony OR Gene actually attend NOW. Does Gene go to all the F1 races? I know I seem to see less of either of them than I see some of the other owners. RC and Coach probably are the gold standards in team owner attendance.

That's a good point. I really don't know how many races Tony OR Gene actually attend NOW. Does Gene go to all the F1 races? I know I seem to see less of either of them than I see some of the other owners. RC and Coach probably are the gold standards in team owner attendance.

I think with everything smoke has going on I'm not even sure how much he's involved in his cup team already. I mean he owns a race track, involved in SRX, doesn't he own at least a share of a dirt car series?, owns his dirt car stuff, and still races himself. It's amazing he even has a personal life.

Maybe Stewart-Haas Racing with Kevin Harvick?
It wouldn't surprise me if that was an offer and he'd be great at it. Just not sure if Kevin wants it. He already has KHI management, his family and what looks to be a spot in the booth if/when he wants it.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was an offer and he'd be great at it. Just not sure if Kevin wants it. He already has KHI management, his family and what looks to be a spot in the booth if/when he wants it.
It it is a stay at home gig and if it was offered who knows. He might be tired of being on the road. Jeff got out of traveling to move into management. Some like it, some don't living out of a suitcase.

To be honest I have probably only watched one F-1 race this year so I don't know much about the F-1 side of Genes operation. I do know that if you go to SHR you can drive up and walk right in the front door but the F-1 shop next door has a fence all the way around it and it is locked 24/7.

I think with everything smoke has going on I'm not even sure how much he's involved in his cup team already. I mean he owns a race track, involved in SRX, doesn't he own at least a share of a dirt car series?, owns his dirt car stuff, and still races himself. It's amazing he even has a personal life.
Plus Tony and Leah have been spending a lot of time playing with their new boat on Lake Havasu. My buddy that owns a vacation house there that I use when I get a chance told me that Tony and Leah were on the lake a lot this summer, and not to long ago Tony and Leah was parked next to him at the dock and they were all shooting the breeze. My buddy knows Leah pretty well because he is a crewmember on a top fuel car on the NHRA circuit. I just found this video.
It happened. I learned how to wake surf! | Welcome to Lake Havasu - YouTube

I did not know that. Regardless, starting a new team is also very time consuming yes??

Sponsors would like to have Tony available to meet their guests in their special suits.
At least I would ASSUME that would be the case.

Back
Top Bottom